112. Guest
113. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,459

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Updated 31/10/2010- Nano Paludarium(3d background)
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Updated 31/10/2010- Nano Paludarium(3d background)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hamza
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:57 am Post subject: Updated 31/10/2010- Nano Paludarium(3d background) Reply with quote

Hi,

Of  late  I've  been  bitten  by  this  bug,  thanks  to  a  few  people  namely;  Salman  and  Dev(severumkid)  for  showing  their  paludariums  and  spreading  this  infection  and  Shahid  bhai(Raushy),  who  actually  called  me  up  to  discuss  the  plans  for  his  setup.

Here  am  starting  the  journal  from  the  beginning,  this  includes  not  just  the  setup  but  also  a  bit  of  my  3d  styrofoam  background  with  a  waterfall  feature  which  is  in  process  now.

Specifications

Tank  size  -  12(l)x8(b)x12(h)
 Full  Capacity:  5g  
 Actual  capacity  after  filling  to  desired  height:  1.5-2g
 Filtration+waterfall  done  by  a  miniHOB  150lph
 I'll  be  using  RO  water  for  this  setup
 Plants:Undecided,  I've  got  some  resurrection  plants(ferns),  collected  some  mosses(wild,  growing  on  bricks),  I  also  have  some  mosses  and  crypt  parva  to  grow  in  submerges  areas  will  be  getting  some  HC  for  emersed  growth  as  well.
 My  choice  of  plants  is  very  limited  here  as  this  is  a  very  tiny  setup.

Here  goes  the  background...
 Materials  used
 2  sheets  of  Styrofoam  1"  and  1/2"  respectively.
 some  fevicol
 a  sharp  knife
 some  sheets  of  sandpaper
 ruler  and  marker  and  pins
 concrete  and  so  on...

The  first  step,  stick  all  the  layers  together  as  desired,  you  can  cut  them  randomly,  no  strict  measurements  required.  I  gave  it  a  depth  of  7"  front  to  back.  Ofcourse,  this  should  be  planned  on  paper  first.  Pins  come  in  handy  when  you  are  doing  the  trial  model  before  pasting  and  also  to  hold  together  weaker  bits.

Then,  smoothen  all  the  edges  with  a  fine  grade  sandpaper*,  and  then  followed  by  leveling  all  layers.

*I  did  a  few  trials  with  various  blades  and  I  found  sandpaper  to  be  the  best  method  the  carve  out  the  stones  of  desired  shapes

Heres  the  result  after  working  on  it  for  2-3  hours,  patience  is  a  great  virtue  here.

Heres  how  the  things  will  go  in...

All  the  above  was  done  a  couple  of  days  ago,  this  is  a  picture  from  today  after  giving  it  a  fresh  first  coat  of  cement.  The  cement  has  been  applied  using  using  a  1"paintbrush.  the  cement  layer  maybe  about  3mm  to  1cm  thick.  This  will  be  smoothened  at  certain  desired  places  with  the  second  coat  of  ccement.

heres  the  housing  for  HOB  inlet

Further  I  plan  to  do  another  coat  of  cement,  then  maybe  some  color  if  I  feel  like  doing  it,  then  it'll  be  soaked  in  water  for  some  good  time  before  it'll  be  siliconed  to  the  back  of  the  tank.  But  I'll  certanly  appreciate  your  suggestions  for  coloring  this,  especial  the  kind  of  paint  to  be  used,  etc.  

Initially  I  was  a  bit  reluctant,  but  now  I  realize  that  it  is  a  thoroughly  enjoyable  experience  working  on  3d  background  and  I  reckon  everyone  must  try  it  atleast  once.  I  am  planning  to  do  one  more  for  my  larger  tank.

Thats  it  for  now,  will  keep  you  updated  on  further  developments....

Last edited by Hamza on Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:07 pm; edited 3 times in total
Jaisankar
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:57 am Post subject: Re: Journal - Nano Paludarium(3d background) Reply with quote

good  work  and  keep  updating  us  all  with  the  pics.
Scorpio
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:48 am Post subject: Re: Journal - Nano Paludarium(3d background) Reply with quote

Nice
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:05 am Post subject: Re: Journal - Nano Paludarium(3d background) Reply with quote

Nice  concept  and  looking  good,  Hamza.

Will  be  keenly  watching  this  thread  Smile  

Regards,
 Nayak.
mudjawd
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:41 am Post subject: Re: Journal - Nano Paludarium(3d background) Reply with quote

ahem.........nice  looking  one.  but  what  all  plants  do  you  plan  to  keep  and  where  will  you  plant  them  apart  from  that  HC  area.
anandflower
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:47 am Post subject: Re: Journal - Nano Paludarium(3d background) Reply with quote

Hi,Nice  work  ,can  you  throw  some  light  on  how  you  prepare  the  concreat,  it  is  just  Cement  and  construction  sant  mixture  or  something  else.
 Can  we  use  white  cement  .
mohang_j
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:49 am Post subject: Re: Journal - Nano Paludarium(3d background) Reply with quote

Good  work  Hamza,

I  had  tried  the  similar  background  with  thermocol  (as  plug)  and  fiberglass  material.  But  did  not  complete  it  due  to  the  time  constraint.  I  will  be  doing  it  again  after  6  -9  months.  You  have  to  coat  at  least  5-6mm  thick  concrete  otherwise  it  will  start  peeling.  You  have  to  use  two  part  Epoxy  paint  which  is  food  grade   to  finish.  It  will  cost  about  250  Rs  per  ltr  (moderators--since  this  is  a  diy  I  hope  quoting  prices  are  ok  if  not  please  delete  )  for  white  colour.  Other  colours  will  be  slightly  expensive.
sid_p
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:36 am Post subject: Re: Journal - Nano Paludarium(3d background) Reply with quote

That  looks  awesome  Hamza.  I  am  going  to  try  that  for  sure  Smile  

Can  you  please  share  the  composition  of  the  concrete?
rimpel
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:42 am Post subject: Re: Journal - Nano Paludarium(3d background) Reply with quote

Very  Nice!  Clapping
amitgh
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:41 pm Post subject: Re: Journal - Nano Paludarium(3d background) Reply with quote

Very  interesting!  and  great  step  by  step  pics  and  guidance.   Thumb Up  
 Please  keep  updating  the  post  as  am  very  interested  to  see  the  outcome  and  learn  on  building  the  3d  backgrounds.
Mohammed Mudassir
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:58 pm Post subject: Re: Journal - Nano Paludarium(3d background) Reply with quote

cool  one  bro,
 will  drop  in  somtime  to  have  a  look
hrishi007
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:46 pm Post subject: Re: Journal - Nano Paludarium(3d background) Reply with quote

another  of  mr  hamza's  genius  ideas..awesome..keep  us  updated..
 btw,is  styrofoam  and  thermocol  the  same?
Hamza
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:58 pm Post subject: Re: Journal - Nano Paludarium(3d background) Reply with quote

Thank  you  everyone,  great  to  see  your  responses   Smile  

@Mudassar..this  tank  is  so  small  that  it'll  ruin  the  scape  if  I  use  plants  with  bigger  texture,  so,  I'll  be  sticking  to  HC,  ferns(maybe)  and  some  terrestrial  mosses  as  well.  Lets  see  how  it  turns  out.

@Anand  and  Siddharth..Am  not  that  technical  and  know  quite  a  little  about  masonry(as  this  is  my  first  trial  with  cement,  never  used  it  earlier).  For  first  layer  I  mixed  some  cement  with  fine  sand  and  made  it  thick  enough  so  that  it  sticks  to  the  Styrofoam.  Sorry  I  dont  remember  the  ratio.  I  think  white  cement  is  a  bit  weak  and  I  had  been  through  a  lot  of  similar  DIY  projects  and  found  that  many  people  used  the  normal  gray  cement,  so  went  ahead  with  it.

@Mohan..Seems  you've  got  some  good  practical  experience  of  this,  you  are  very  right  about  thin  layer  getting  peeled  off.  I  see  that  now,  I  have  done   another  layer  of  cement(just  cement)  today,  will  do  it   couple  of  times  to  make  it  thick  enough.  Thanks  for  the  epoxy  tip  as  well.

But  I  have  a  little  concern  regarding  epoxy  coat,  I  definitely  dont  like  it  to  look  glossy  as  an  end  product,  so  any  suggestions  how  to  give  this  a  coarse  natural  look?

@hrishi..yes  both  are  same.

Will  be  posting  an  update  in  a  while...
Hamza
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:28 pm Post subject: Re: Journal - Nano Paludarium(3d background) Reply with quote

Now  heres  an  update...11/10/2010

Did  a  second  coat  of  cement(without  any  sand),  was  a  bit  flimsy  after  the  first  coat,  but  now  it  fees  strong  and  firm  and  a  lil  heavv  too.  This  was  done  around  5  hours  back  from  now  and  isnt  dry  yet.

side  view  to  show  the  protrusion

And  you  might  be  looking  at  some  minor  glitches  in  above  pictures  if  you  have  a  keen  eye,  here  are  some  close  ups  of  that.  This  is  the  courtesy  of  some  pigeons  in  my  neighborhood,  they  love  to  peck  everything...I  hate  them  Thumb Down  
 Have  to  cover  this  up  in  next  coat  as  its  semi-dry  now  and  new  layer  of  cement  wont  hold  on  it.

And  the  messy  background  is  a  small  balcony  that  I  use  for  most  of  my  DIY  projects.
mohang_j
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:30 pm Post subject: Re: Updated 11/10/2010- Nano Paludarium(3d background) Reply with quote

Hamza,
 If  you  want  good  strength  then  you  have  to  coat  the  concrete  with  the  proper  epoxy  resin  (The  one  which  is  used  to  make  boat)  or  even  araldite  will  do.   Last  time  when  i  checked  epoxy  resin  was  about  800Rs  per  ltr  in  Bangalore.  I  can  share  some  contact  info  if  you  are  interested.  you  can  mix  very  fine  sand,  talc,  sawdust  and  then  if  required  add  colour  pigments  to  it  for  the  matt  finish.  If  you  plan  to  use  paint  then  mix  a  small  quatity  of  very  fine  sawdust  to  get  the  matt  finish.  You  may  also  get  the  matt  finish  paint  if  you  search  hard.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: