208. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,799

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Silpaulin Pond
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Silpaulin Pond

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Garden Ponds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JackOfAllTrades
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:57 pm Post subject: Silpaulin Pond Reply with quote

Hi,
 This  is  a  project  that  I  did  in  June  2010  at  my  parents  house  in  Kerala.  Its  a  Koi  &  Giant  Gourami  pond.  

Dimensions  15  ft  (L)  x  7  ft  (W)  x  4.5  ft  (D).

The  liner  material  used  is  Silpaulin.  It  is  supposed  to  be  UV  stabilised.

http://picasaweb.google.com/objaco/Pond?authkey=Gv1sRgCLjj7pWYpdmU2gE#

It  took  us  (My  dad,  or  gardener  and  myself)   three  days  to  build  and  costs  less  than  largest  Indian  currency  note  available  +  Labour.

It  does  not  have  any  filtration.  The  plan  is  to  pump  in  water  and  use  the  overflow  to  water  the  garden.  

I  do  not  have  photos  of  the  finished  setup.  I  will  upload  them  once  I  get  it.   

Thanks  and  Regards
lovecutefish
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:33 pm Post subject: Re: Silpaulin Pond Reply with quote

JackOfAllTrades  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi,
 This  is  a  project  that  I  did  in  June  2010  at  my  parents  house  in  Kerala.  Its  a  Koi  &  Giant  Gourami  pond.  

Dimensions  15  ft  (L)  x  7  ft  (W)  x  4.5  ft  (D).

The  liner  material  used  is  Silpaulin.  It  is  supposed  to  be  UV  stabilised.

http://picasaweb.google.com/objaco/Pond?authkey=Gv1sRgCLjj7pWYpdmU2gE#

It  took  us  (My  dad,  or  gardener  and  myself)   three  days  to  build  and  costs  less  than  largest  Indian  currency  note  available  +  Labour.

It  does  not  have  any  filtration.  The  plan  is  to  pump  in  water  and  use  the  overflow  to  water  the  garden.  

I  do  not  have  photos  of  the  finished  setup.  I  will  upload  them  once  I  get  it.   

Thanks  and  Regards                

Hi

Nice   Thumb Up   but  it  appears  to  me  like  a  pool  and  not  natural  because  of  the  blue  Silpaulin
 upload  the  pictures  soon!
JackOfAllTrades
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:59 pm Post subject: Re: Silpaulin Pond Reply with quote

Yes,  You  are  correct  in  these  photos  it  does  look  like  a  swimming  pool.  Actually  my  kids  had  a  lot  of  fun  in  it  (before  the  fish  were  put  in).  

The  finished  look  is  some  what  different.  I  used  irregular  shaped  stone  slabs  on  the  pond  edge.  By  allowing  some  pieces  to  over  hang,  it  softened  the  "pool"  look.  

I  was  mainly  targeting  depth  in  this  pond  as  it  is  supposed  to  serve  as  grow  out  pond  for  Koi  .  I  had  read  somewhere  that  for  good  body  shape  development,  koi  require  at  least  3  feet  of  water.
tintin1982
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:13 pm Post subject: Re: Silpaulin Pond Reply with quote

Nice  pond  you  setup  there.  Do  post  some  pictures  of  the  pond  with  the  Koi  inside.   Thumb Up
Ashfaq
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:32 pm Post subject: Re: Silpaulin Pond Reply with quote

Hi  Jacob,
    Love  to  see  a  Pond  and  koi  hobbyist  after  a  Very  Very  long  time   Very Happy   Very Happy   Very Happy   Cheering   Cheering   Cheering  .  Not  many  pond  hobbyist  are  there  in  India,  just  few.
 Why  you  havent  made  the  filter  chamber???

What  kind  of  filter  you  are  going  to  use  it,  let  me  know,so  that  i  can  also  share  my  pond  and  koi  knowledge  with  u.  Smile   Smile  .

where  are  you  going  to  source  kois  and  giant  gowramis???

I  suggest  you  to  have  Japanese  kois  instead  of  local.  i  am  sure  you  will  love  them  if  they  grow  huge.

Your  pond  is  opened  with  out  any  cover,  direct  sunlight  will  cause  green  water  and  algae.  Also  there  are  chance  of  fishes  being  eaten  by  crows,kingfiser,etc.  Make  a  not  and  try  to  do  something.

Based  on  your  pond  length,width,  height,  i  am  sure,  if  you  have  jap  kois,  they  will  grow  huge  soon,  if  water  changed  on  weekly  basis,  with  good  filter  for  purifying  and  aeration  is  must  for  growth  and  toning  color.

Also  what  kind  of  food  you  are  going  to  feed???

If  you  are  using  Silpaulin  as  a  layer,  it  will  affect  kois  growth,  as  kois  need  natural  minerals  which  can  be  found  in  concrete/mud  ponds.

Sorry  for  toooo  many  questions,  but  want  to  know  what  you  are  going  to  do.  have  lots  of  questions  to  ask,  please  answer  the  above,  will  ask  more  after  your  answers  Smile   Smile  

Regards
 Ashfaq
JackOfAllTrades
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:14 pm Post subject: Re: Silpaulin Pond Reply with quote

Hi  Ashfaq,
 Thanks  for  your  response.  Its  great  to  meet  another  Koi  /Pond  Enthusiast.  I  believe  some  types  of  fishes  (Koi,  Goldfish,  etc)  look  better  when  viewed  from  top.

Why  you  haven't  made  the  filter  chamber???
 What  kind  of  filter  you  are  going  to  use  it,  let  me  know,so  that  i  can  also  share  my  pond  and  koi  knowledge  with  u.  Smile   Smile  .
 >>>  I  do  not  have  a  filter  in  place  right  now.  This  pond  is  at  my  parents  house  in  Kerala.  They  have  quite  a  few  coconut  trees  and  pepper  vines  that  have  to  be  watered  every  day.  The  water  from  the  well  is  pumped  into  the  pond.  The  overflow  is  used  to  water  the  trees.  During  the  rainy  season  (  when  the  trees  do  not  required  watering),  the  rain  water  runoff  from  the  roof  of  the  house  is  diverted  into  the  pond.  

where  are  you  going  to  source  kois  and  giant  gouramis???
 I  suggest  you  to  have  Japanese  kois  instead  of  local.  i  am  sure  you  will  love  them  if  they  grow  huge.
 >>>>  I  got  the  giant  gouramis  locally.  I  am  still  looking  out  for  good  quality  Koi's.  I  have  10  locally  sourced  Kois  (selected  for  color).  Do  you  know  of  a  source  for  good  quality  Koi?

Your  pond  is  opened  with  out  any  cover,  direct  sunlight  will  cause  green  water  and  algae.  Also  there  are  chance  of  fishes  being  eaten  by  crows,kingfiser,etc.  Make  a  not  and  try  to  do  something.
 >>>  I  have  already  installed  a  net  .  Luckily  the  pond  gets  only  1-2  hours  of  direct  sunlight.  This  along  with  the  frequent  water  water  changes  is  keeping  the  algae  under  control

Based  on  your  pond  length,width,  height,  i  am  sure,  if  you  have  jap  kois,  they  will  grow  huge  soon,  if  water  changed  on  weekly  basis,  with  good  filter  for  purifying  and  aeration  is  must  for  growth  and  toning  color.
 >>>>  Yes,  you  are  right  about  the  aeration.  I  am  planning  a  few  air  driven  water  lifts.  This  is  will  help  with  aeration  and  circulating  the  water.

Also  what  kind  of  food  you  are  going  to  feed???
 >>>>Giant  Gouramis  -  Oilcake  (  Groundnut)  /  Yam  leaves  (I  think  its  called  -suuran  in  Hindi.  They  love  it)  /  Banana  peels
 Koi  -  Oil  cake
 I  also  feed  them  a  DIY  food  made  of  dried  fish,  corn  flour  ,  some  multivitamin  tables.  

If  you  are  using  Silpaulin  as  a  layer,  it  will  affect  kois  growth,  as  kois  need  natural  minerals  which  can  be  found  in  concrete/mud  pond.
 >>>  there  is  a  layer  of  mud  and  sand  put  in  at  the  bottom  for  the  Koi  to   forage.  I  really  do  not  know  the  long  term  effects  of  silpaulin  on  the  fish.

The  photos  that  I  had  posted  was  just  after  we  had  layed  the  liner  and  filled  it  with  water.  I  have  some  more  photos  that  are  in  the  camera.  unfortunately  I  am  traveling  and  forgot  to  take  the  camera.  I  should  be  back  by  the  last  week  of  December.

Please  do  share  details  of  your  setup.  

Thanks  and  Regards
rocky2
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:16 pm Post subject: Re: Silpaulin Pond Reply with quote

Cheer  nice  more  pics
Ashfaq
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:17 pm Post subject: Re: Silpaulin Pond Reply with quote

Yes,  you  are  correct  kois  are  only  fish  which  look  MOST  Beautiful  from  top  view.

Thats  good  that  you  use  well  water,  it  contains  lots  of  natural  minerals  which  are  essential  for  kois  especially  to  grow  and  to  keep  there  immune  system  stable.

Diverted  Rain  water  is  not  for  good  kois  as  u  said  which  comes  from  the  roof  top.  If  its  direct  rain  water  then  its  good,  else  please  dont  recirect  it  to  the  pond,  it  will  less  the  PH  level  and  your  kois  will  become  sick  and  there  emune  system  will  get  affected,  also  there  are  chance  of  BAD  bacteria  being  developed  if  aeration  is  not  provided.  I  have  experienced  with  this.

I  have  already  imported  lots  of  Jap  kois  specially  from  singapore  from  Max  koi  farm  and  have  given  to  many  hobbyist  who  wants.  Here  is  the  link  for  kois  which  was  imported  before  a  year,  but  due  to  heavy  maintenance  we  have  closed  our  farm.  right  now  i  dont  have  any  kois  as  i  am  looking  for  a  place  to  setup  a  koi  house  soon  may  be  a  year  later.

This  vedios  contains  60kois  with  size  range  from  12  inch  -  18  inches.

Link

Direct  sunlight  for  1-2  hours  is  really  very  good  and  daily  water  change  is  also  really  very  good.

Thats  really  nice  that  you  guys  feed  DIY  food  with  multi  vitamin  tables.  Vitamin  B12  increase  the  colour  of  the  kois,  try  some  and  let  me  know  the  results.  Just  put  that  tablet  in  the  pond  with  food.

I  suggest  you  to  renovate  your  pond  to  concrete  pond  now  itself  before  having  japanese  kois.

I  can  help  you  in  getting  you  Japanese  kois.  

We  have  used  Beat  filter  for  2  of  our  pond  which  was  size  15L*3H*15W.  Which  cost  us  85K  but  for  cost  effective  you  can  use  DIY  Drum  Filter  which  will  cost  you  around  5-6K  for  your  pond  size.   I  can  help  you  in  setting  up  a  DIY  filter..

You  can  see  the  size  of  my  pond  here,  with  30+  Japanese  kois.

Link

Vedio  of  my  friend  POND

Link

Will  wait  for  your  Updated  Pond  pics...

Regards
 Ashfaq
JackOfAllTrades
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:12 pm Post subject: Re: Silpaulin Pond Reply with quote

Hi  Ashfaq,
 I  got  goose  bumps  seeing  your  setup  /  fish.  They  look  really  great.

Please  share  more  details  about  your  setup.  Also  about  your  friends  setup.  The  interesting  thing  is  that  your  friends  setup  looks  suitable  for  places  with  space  constraint.  

Where  are  you  located?

Thanks  for  the  info  about  use  of  rain  water.  I  will  have  to  put  in  a  filter  before  the  next  rainy  season.  What  is  a  Beat  filter?  I  was  looking  at  a  Bakki  Shower  setup.  I  have  to  do  more  research  on  this.  

I  am  planning  to  convert  this  pond  into  a  ferro-cement  one  in  the  future.  I  have  been  doing  some  small  ferro-cement  projects  to  check  its  feasibility  in  making  ponds.  I  have  seen  it  being  used  in  making  ponds  /  water  falls  /  rock  features  in  Saudi  Arabia  and  Belgium.  That  is  where  I  got  the  idea.

I  will  get  in  touch  with  you  once  I  am  back  in  India  to  seek  you  help  in  getting  good  quality  Kois.

Thanks  and  Regards,
Ashfaq
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:10 pm Post subject: Re: Silpaulin Pond Reply with quote

Thanks  friend

here  is  the  image  for  Indian  made  Beat  Filter  how  it  will  look  like
 Regarding  the  Bead  filter:  I  dont  know  how  to  explain  in  details,  but  check  this  link  where  you  will  have  an  idea.

[img]http://picasaweb.google.com/KoiFishIndiaHobbyist/Filter#5539323798234043618[/img]

http://www.advantagebeadfilter.com/bead_filter.php

I  am  located  in  chennai,  now  i  dont  have  any  pond,as  i  said  i  am  in  search  of  a  place,etc,etc  to  setup  a  koi  house  same  like  what  our  Japanese  brother  do.

Let  me  know  your  budget  on  bakki  shower  and  also  do  let  me  know  whether  you  are  going  to  purchase  ready  made  Bakki  shower  or  DYI.  There  are  lots  of  methods  to  setup  a  filter  while  building  pond.  The  most  used  all  over  the  Japan,singapore/malaysia  is  traditional  filter  with  chambers.  I  hope  you  know  what  filter  chamber  is.

My  friend  pond  size  is  15  to  18L*2.5H*3W.

He  has  the  following  for  filter:
 1.  Drum  Filter  -  2  pump  for  pulling  water
 2.  DYI  BakKi  Shower  -  1  pump  for  pulling  water
 3.  UV  light  connected  to  filter  water  flow
 4.  Air  Compressor  which  cost  i  guess  1500  INR.

He  use  well  water  daily  as  you  do,  like  watering  garden  and  so  on.
 He  Clean  DRUM  filter  onweekly  basis.
 He  feed  Hi  Pro/Nishikigoi  Elite  koi  food  which  dont  pollute  water  and  cheap  when  comparing  to  Hikari/FD  food  which  is  quite  expensive  for  hobbyist.

You  are  pond  builder  in  saudi  and  belgium????
 As  you  said  u  have  did  small  ferro  cment  projects,  can  u  share  some  pics  of  those  pond  as  well.
sara
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:34 pm Post subject: Re: Silpaulin Pond Reply with quote

hi  Ashfaq,  
 can  u  tell  me  how  to  import  koi  fish  and  what  r  the  formalities  for  it.  and  can  u  tell  me  what  is  the  cost  of  6  inches  koi.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Garden Ponds All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: