169. Guest
170. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,758

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Camy's Day Out - Chembarabakkam
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Camy's Day Out - Chembarabakkam
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fish Collection and Habitat Study Trips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shankar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:24 pm Post subject: Camy's Day Out - Chembarabakkam Reply with quote

On  Friday  evening,  I  got  a  message  from  Marc  that  'The  weather  seems  to  be  good'.  I  got  the  message  that  a  trip  is  on  the  cards  on  Saturday.  I  called  up  Marc  and  we  confirmed  the  event.  Our  usual  fishing  team  mates  had  commitments  of  their  own  this  time,  except  for  Balaji,  who  could  not  join  us.  He  stayed  far  away  from  either  of  us,  to  be  picked  up,  since  the  destination  happened  to  fall  at  a  different  direction  altogether.  Felt  sorry  for  him.  

I  only  had  to  make  sure  that  my  Cam  is  full  on  charge,  since  it  was  its  maiden  fishing  trip.  I  was  all  excited.   Very Happy  

Started  from  our  homes  at  6  and  sharp  at  6.45  am,  me  and  Marcus  met  at  a  common  meeting  point,  that  further  led  to  the  Chembarambakkam  reservoir,  just  a  few  kilometers  away.  It  was  one  the  rare  days  with  a  perfect  weather  for  a  fishing  trip;  no  sun,  but  cloudy  all  through  the  day.  Very  light  drizzles  of  rain  once  in  a  while  didn't  bother  us  much.

Finally,  parked  our  bikes  and  Marc  was  already  ready  with  his  nets.

Our  first  catch  was  this  sub-adult  P.  cupanus  in  a  puddle  with  dense  vegetation.

And  next  was  this  adult  A.  blockii  to  follow.  A  very  beautiful  specimen.  Seems  to  be  perfect  native  dwarf  killifish,  compatible  with  small  tank  mates.

R.  daniconius

We  looked  around  for  Channa  gachua  in  the  surrounding  water  bodies,  as  Marc  was  more  familiar  with  usual  whereabouts  of  the  species  found  there.  We  found  none.  :  (

Time  to  move  on  and  capture  other  species  too.  So  we  headed  to  a  largish  pool,  with  vegetation  mostly  along  its  banks.  Water  was  crystal  clear  and  lots  of  fish  swimming  around..  perfect  for  Camy's  first  underwater  video!  

I  did  a  small  trial  dip,  just  to  check  for  any  bubbles  rising  from  the  camera  body.  It  was  a  tense  moment,  taking  a  gamble  on  the  19k  toy   Crying or Very sad  .  Woah,  no  bubbles  fortunately!   Cheer  

The  first  video  capture  wasn't  that  great,  hence  didn't  upload  it.  It's  more  of  my  funny  audio  fumbles.  :  )

The  first  'official'  one:

Link

Spotted  here  were  Rasbora  daniconius,  A.  blockii,  Gambusia  sp,  Etroplus  maculatus  and  a  few  Hemichromis  sp,  the  Jewel  cichlid.  I  also  saw  a  lone  Convict  cichlid,  which  Marc  didn't.  It's  not  officially  reported  from  this  lake,  hence  I  wont  talk  more  about  it,  until  I  tape  it  sometime.  Videos  such  as  this  adds  to  the  evidence  to  Marc's  hard  work  on  the  lake  over  the  years.  Hope  it  helps  him.

Then  another  spot,  close  to  the  reservoir  gates.  The  water  was  a  bit  turbulent  with  mostly  Val  like  plants.  The  view  from  above  the  water  showed  up  umpteen  breeding  pairs  of  E.  maculatus,  located  almost  everywhere  along  the  banks,  where  water  is  calm.  Thought  it  would  be  wonderful  to  capture  the  fry  care  by  the  Momma  fish  -  Poppas  ran  away  and  watch  us  intruders  from  a  distance.   Chuckle   

Here's  one  daring  momma  Orange  Chromide  Dwarf.

Link

The  prized  capture  of  the  below  fish  was  some  unforgettable  experience  for  both  of  us!

Badis  badis  male  in  full  flare!

Link

The  water  current  made  the  video  shaky.  Sorry.  ;)

Hiding  among  the  weed.

With  nowhere  to  hide  from  my  camera,  if  resorted  under  my  foot.   Chuckle  

Gotcha!

The  Hemichromis  breeding  pair  was  an  interesting  find  too.

Link

We  were  done  with  the  above  spot  and  then  moved  on  on  our  bikes,  with  a  bit  of  off-roading  to  another  water  body.  Marc  felt  the  place  was  ideal  for  the  cast  net.

Preparing  the  heavy  net.

And  there  he  goes  in  action!

Surprisingly,  we  got  only  one  fish  on  every  attempt.  :  (

First,  Puntius  dorsalis.

Then  the  Mystus  vittatus.

Then  this  nice  barb.  Puntius  sophore?  or  orphoides??  Need  help.  Sorry  I  forgot,  Marc.   Sad

The  dwarf  E.  maculatus

Also  got  a  huge  Esomus  barbatus  there.

We  had  enough  of  cast  net  throws  and  Marc's  dropping  shoulders  as  well  as  sky  getting  darker  at  around  10.30  am,  made  us  rush  back  to  our  bikes  and  also  think  of  calling  it  a  day.  On  our  way  back,  a  shallow  but  wide  puddle,  well  not  exactly  a  puddle  called  for  another  underwater  video.  I  just  had  to  fix  the  cam  into  the  substrate  and  we  abandoned  the  place,  so  that  the  fishes  feel  free  to  approach  near  the  cam.  We  packed  our  bags  in  the  mean  time  and  rushed  back  to  check  if  the  cam  was  still  there  or  has  it  been  swallowed  by  the  giant  catfish,  Wallago  attu!   Surprised  

All  that  was  captured  was  P.  cupanus,  R.  daniconius  and  a  nice  Puntius  that  moved  like  a  lightening  in  front  of  the  lens.  Pretty  long  video.  Hence  did  not  upload.

Finally  before  signing  off,  this  group  photo  thanks  to  camy.   Smile  

Marc,  his  Bully,  Me  and  my  Avy.

Thanks  to  Marc  for  being  a  wonderful  companion  on  this  trip.  For  him,  this  should  have  been  just  another  trip  to  Chems.  Hope  he  enjoyed  it  as  much  as  i  did.

PS:  All  the  videos  are  shot  at  HD  format,  for  whoever  like  to  see  in  detail.  As  Jib  often  says..  "Load  Warning!"

Phew,  I  am  never  used  to  lengthy  writeups  and  I  am  done  here.  Need  some  sleep!  

Cheers.   Smile
hems
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:53 pm Post subject: Re: Camy's Day Out - Chembarabakkam Reply with quote

Nice  1  dude   Rock On
headbanger_jib
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:09 pm Post subject: Re: Camy's Day Out - Chembarabakkam Reply with quote

the  badis  video  was  awesome  shankar
praz
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:31 pm Post subject: Re: Camy's Day Out - Chembarabakkam Reply with quote

I  am  inn  for  the  next  trip  Very Happy
humaid
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:32 pm Post subject: Re: Camy's Day Out - Chembarabakkam Reply with quote

The  videos  are  superb!!!!   Thumb Up
Marc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:36 pm Post subject: Re: Camy's Day Out - Chembarabakkam Reply with quote

Hey  Shanker,  I  enjoyed  the  trip  as  much  as  you  did.  Thumbs Up   

Happy  to  have  an  off  road  biking  companion.......din  have  one  before.  Thumb Up  

Excellent  writeup.  The  nice  barb  is  P.  mahecola  (with  the  spot  faded)........guess  this  would  be  a  good  example  to  show  how  similar  P.  amphibius  and  P.  mahecola  are  (as  the  presence  and  absence  of  that  spot  is  highly  variable)   Very Happy  

Looking  forward  to  more  trips  with  you  and  camy............  Thumb Up
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:42 pm Post subject: Re: Camy's Day Out - Chembarabakkam Reply with quote

Shankar,
 Nice  trip,  nice  pictures  and  nice  narration.  Very Happy  

Marc,
   Using  that  heavy  artillery  net  interests  me  a  lot.  Cast  net.  Needs  a  lot  of  skill.  Clapping  

Regards,
 Nayak.
beta
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:29 pm Post subject: Re: Camy's Day Out - Chembarabakkam Reply with quote

I  really  liked  the  videos!  I  don't  think  its  easy  to  capture  shy  species  such  as  Badis  in  their  natural  habitat.
bmvbab
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:10 pm Post subject: Re: Camy's Day Out - Chembarabakkam Reply with quote

The  badis  was  awesome  Smile
Lawrenze
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:20 pm Post subject: Re: Camy's Day Out - Chembarabakkam Reply with quote

For  a  moment  I  thought  it  was  Prem's  day  out...what  the  heck  Confused   Chuckle  Nice  one  Shankar...your  camy  makes  it  all  the  more  interesting...super  captures  Thumbs Up  
 Cheers
nnpnnp
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:01 pm Post subject: Re: Camy's Day Out - Chembarabakkam Reply with quote

Hey  Shankar
 Thanks  for  your  first  lengthy  Chuckle   write-up.
 Narration  is  captive  &  easy-flowing.
 You  had  good  outing  there.  Very  good  pics  &  videos  too.  Jusy  like  Nat  Geo  !  Smile  
 Videos  look  like  under-water.   Thumb Up  

Thanks  &  Regards
 Nitin

Last edited by nnpnnp on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Shankar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:03 pm Post subject: Re: Camy's Day Out - Chembarabakkam Reply with quote

Thanks  Hems,  Jib,  Humaid,  Nayak  and  Vig!

Sure  Praz,  anytime!

Marc,  then  what  was  that  swift  Puntius  in  the  video,  at  the  'Wallago'  biotope?

Yes  Beta,  agree  on  the  difficulty  on  spotting  a  shy  fish  that  prefers  to  hide  when  disturbed.  Any  other  Badis  sp  video  in  their  natural  habitat  will  be  interesting  to  see.

Lawrence,  Prem  might  not  like  that!   Chuckle  Thanks!
Marc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:38 pm Post subject: Re: Camy's Day Out - Chembarabakkam Reply with quote

rasikanayak  wrote  (View  Post):                
Marc,
   Using  that  heavy  artillery  net  interests  me  a  lot.  Cast  net.  Needs  a  lot  of  skill.  Clapping  

Regards,
 Nayak.                

Thanks  Nayak

Shankar  wrote  (View  Post):                

Marc,  then  what  was  that  swift  Puntius  in  the  video,  at  the  'Wallago'  biotope?

I  guess  it  was  a  P.  sophore  or  a  P.  chola.....too  fast  to  id
MadDuff
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:21 am Post subject: Re: Camy's Day Out - Chembarabakkam Reply with quote

Excellent  pics  and  video   Thumbs Up  

When  I  see  threads  like  this  I  am  extremely  jealous  of  you  guys,  it  would  have  to  be  my  dream  come  true  to  be  able  to  go  and  collect  my  own  Loaches  and  Rasboras  for  my  tanks,  keep  up  the  good  work   Clapping
Hamza
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:46 am Post subject: Re: Camy's Day Out - Chembarabakkam Reply with quote

I  simply  adore  that  badis,  a  very  beautiful  specimen.

And  yes  camy  did  a  superb  job  capturing  the  underwater  scenery.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fish Collection and Habitat Study Trips All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: