Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:25 pm Post subject: Re: Rasboras of India
Ok let me kick off the id'ying
Beta, It is Parluciosoma daniconius
Reason for Id:
1) Lateral line 32 (Brittan 1971, Talwar & Jhingran 1991, Jayaram 1999)
2) 14 predorsal scales (Brittan 1971)
3) Symphysis of lower jaw on level with middle of pupil (Brittan 1971)
4) Fairly distinct black mid lateral stripe edged with gold (Talwar & Jhingran 1991)
5) intensity of the stripe variable can sometimes extrend more than opercle to caudal fin base (Brittan 1971)
Ben, it is Rasbora caverii
Reason for Id:
1) Distance between dorsal fin and hypural distance taken forward falls behind the orbit (Talwar & Jhingran 1991, Jayaram 1999)
2) Lateral stripe more prominent in the posterior half of the body (Talwar & Jhingran 1991)
Balaji, your fish could be P. daniconius. Not clear for counting.
I guess we need to be flexible with colouration and body depth as these are governed by environmental factors also (phenotypic placticity) and we are not dealing with clones
Let me quote from Brittan (1971)
"Probably a careful examination of a large series of specimens from each of the major rivers of India will show sub species"
As of now thats the best of my ability..........you guys are welcome to improve on it
Genus distinguishing character: Parluciosoma(Howes) or Rasbora(Day,1878, Fishes of India)
Body elongated and compressed. Eyes large and prominent. No barbels. Dorsal fin inserted behind origin of anal fin with nine(seven branched) rays, Anal fin with seven(Five branched) rays, Lateral line usually complete, distinctive color pattern involving a dark lateral stripe.
From here on I will be using Rasbora as the genus name.
Two Rasbora species have been recorded in India as of now,
1) Rasbora daniconius
2) Rasbora cauverii.
All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4Next
Page 1 of 4
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You cannot download files in this forum