54. Guest
55. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,006
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,006

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,836

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - My tank with loads of Staurogyne sp.
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

My tank with loads of Staurogyne sp.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
polya
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:11 am Post subject: My tank with loads of Staurogyne sp. Reply with quote

Hey  guys,  

Saw  this  awesome  plant  in  a  LFS  and  bought  25  of  them.  My  first  lot,  all  died.  Really  I  still  don't  know  the  reason  for  it.

Bought  a  lot  of  25  again.  This  time,  they  grew  very  nicely.  And  now  a  few  months  later,  I  have  my  tank  filled  with  these.  

Had  a  lot  of  problem  with  brown  algae,  but  now  its  gone.  Also,  had  a  VERY  VERY  bad  algae  outbreak.  But  all  thanks  to  Kuna.  His  suggestions  helped  me.  

The  tank  still  has  a  lot  of  algae,  but  slowly  its  going  away.  

Here  are  a  few  pics  -

The  images  show  my  second  attempt  at  keeping  Java  Fern.  And  looks  like  I  have  failed  to  keep  it  green  again  :(

My  only  concern  is  Brown  algae  now.  For  some  reason,  Ottos  die  in  my  tank  every  time  I  put  them.  Not  immediately,  but  they  die  within  1  or  2  weeks.

Had  a  bad  BBA  outbreak  too.  But  managed  to  defeat  it  :)

Thank  you.
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:42 am Post subject: Re: My tank with loads of Staurogyne sp. Reply with quote

Thats  a  load  of  Staurogyne  you  have  got  there.  Keep  the  CO2  high  to  stop  them  melt  away.
polya
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:05 am Post subject: Re: My tank with loads of Staurogyne sp. Reply with quote

they  are  not  melting  now.  only  the  first  lot  that  i  got  melted  away.  don't  know  why.  I  even  had  high  CO2  that  time.  now  i  have  like  2  BPS  during  photo  period  ie.  6  hours  for  now.
Scorpio
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:53 am Post subject: Re: My tank with loads of Staurogyne sp. Reply with quote

They  are  also  growing  well  in  my  tank  only  in  2  WPG  light  and  liquid  CO2.  So  I  think  they  don't  need  lots  of  CO2  and  light.
Severumkid
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:56 am Post subject: Re: My tank with loads of Staurogyne sp. Reply with quote

Tank  health  must  improve.  Your  lighting  in  surely  inadequate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
saikumar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:48 am Post subject: Re: My tank with loads of Staurogyne sp. Reply with quote

Thats  great  going  mate  Thumb Up  

Thanks  so  much  for  sharing  with  us.

Its  pleasing  to  know  to  that  you  have  faught  somany  challanges,  as  the  same  can  you  give  some  tips  to  us.  
 How  did  you  defeat  BBA?  
 and  your  secret  for  such  cool  looking  foreground?
 Also,  time  taken  to  make  such  an  awesome  growth.

Whats  the  bio  filteration  you  have  got?  If  you  up  it,  may  be  your  Ottos  will  feel  better  and  your  plants  much  better

Cheers!
Binesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:14 am Post subject: Re: My tank with loads of Staurogyne sp. Reply with quote

Hi  Neil,

Share  the  specs  of  the  tank  please.

Dev  -  What  makes  you  believe  that  light  is  inadequate?

Cheers,
 Binesh
Kuna
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:52 am Post subject: Re: My tank with loads of Staurogyne sp. Reply with quote

Nice  growth  of  Staurogyne  Polya....  Thumb Up
Severumkid
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:51 pm Post subject: Re: My tank with loads of Staurogyne sp. Reply with quote

The  second  photo,  the  staurogyne  fore  ground  looks  a  little  shadowed.  How  ever,  when  I  see  the  first  pic,  it  looks  nice  and  bright.  It  makes  me  think  that  you  have  some  low  light  areas  in  your  tank  Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
polya
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:23 pm Post subject: Re: My tank with loads of Staurogyne sp. Reply with quote

saikumar  wrote  (View  Post):                

Its  pleasing  to  know  to  that  you  have  faught  somany  challanges,  as  the  same  can  you  give  some  tips  to  us.  

Whats  the  bio  filteration  you  have  got?  If  you  up  it,  may  be  your  Ottos  will  feel  better  and  your  plants  much  better

Cheers!                
IAH  helped  me  a  lot.  yeah  i  seem  to  have  gone  through  every  problem  an  aquarium  can  possibly  have  Razz  green  water,  brown  water  (dunno  what  it  was,  but  almost  destroyed  my  tank),  brown  algae,  BBA,  very  dangerous  conditions  for  fish,  etc.  

BBA  was  the  worst.  It  was  so  bad  that  if  i  could  have  made  a  carpet  out  of  BBA  Razz  i  don't  know  if  i  have  defeated  it  yet,  but  i  don't  see  any  of  it  right  now  in  my  tank.  
 sat  down  one  day  in  front  of  the  tank,  and  decided  to  remove  all  the  BBA  manually.  spent  many  hours  removing  it  all  without  doing  any  damage  to  the  leaves  or  moss.  
 i  know  people  recommend  to  trim  every  BBA  infected  part  of  the  plant,  but  that  was  no  option  for  me  because  ALL  the  plants  were  affected  by  it.  
 after  removing  it,  i  just  bumped  up  the  CO2  a  bit.  and  reduced  the  photo  period.  and  for  like  2  months,  i  don't  have  any  sign  of  BBA.  :)

this  tank  used  to  be  my  iwagumi  setup.  but  i  made  a  very  very  stupid  mistake  and  the  whole  tank  was  destroyed.  it  took  me  2  seconds  to  destroy  the  tank  Razz  haha...  it  actually  was  funny  and  scared  the  shit  out  of  me  and  my  sister.  

at  that  time,  i  was  treating  this  wood  for  a  second  tank.  but  could  not  resist  and  used  it  in  this  setup.  i  think  i  set  this  up  on  6th  of  November  2010.  started  with  25  plantlets.  so  its  around  3.5-4  months  now.  and  the  plant  has  grown  from  25  to  all  this.  must  be  over  100  now.  

i  have  the  normal  sponge  and  all  that  we  get  in  eheims,  but  i  have  removed  2  pieces  of  the  sponge  and  added  ceramic  rings  there.  is  that  good?  so  its  like  wool,  sponge  and  ceramic  rings

thank  you
polya
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:33 pm Post subject: Re: My tank with loads of Staurogyne sp. Reply with quote

@  Binesh

tank  specs  -

Size  -  2.5  (l)  x  1  (d)  x  1.5  (h)  feet

Capacity  -  28  gallons

Filtration  -  Eheim  2213  and  Azoo  internal  filter  for  water  current.

Lighting  -  3  x  24W  T5HO  on  for  6  hours

Substrate  -  ADA  Aquasoil  Amazonia  II

CO2  -  Pressurized  @  2  BPS  turns  on  and  off  with  lights  

Fertilizers  -  KNO3  +  KH2PO4  +  K2SO4  for  macros  and  Microsol  -  B  for  micros.  EI  dosing  system.

@  Kuna

Thanks  a  lot  man  :)

@  Severumkid

actually  its  not  shadowed.  i  had  covered  the  light  with  my  hand  for  the  photo  to  avoid  reflection  of  the  light  on  the  water  surface  Razz  so  it  looks  kinda  shadowed  Razz
Kuna
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:33 pm Post subject: Re: My tank with loads of Staurogyne sp. Reply with quote

polya  wrote  (View  Post):                

saikumar  wrote  (View  Post):                

Cheers!                
IAH  helped  me  a  lot.  yeah  i  seem  to  have  gone  through  every  problem  an  aquarium  can  possibly  have  Razz  green  water,  brown  water  (dunno  what  it  was,  but  almost  destroyed  my  tank),  brown  algae,  BBA,  very  dangerous  conditions  for  fish,  etc.  

BBA  was  the  worst.  It  was  so  bad  that  if  i  could  have  made  a  carpet  out  of  BBA  Razz  i  don't  know  if  i  have  defeated  it  yet,  but  i  don't  see  any  of  it  right  now  in  my  tank.  
 sat  down  one  day  in  front  of  the  tank,  and  decided  to  remove  all  the  BBA  manually.  spent  many  hours  removing  it  all  without  doing  any  damage  to  the  leaves  or  moss.  
 i  know  people  recommend  to  trim  every  BBA  infected  part  of  the  plant,  but  that  was  no  option  for  me  because  ALL  the  plants  were  affected  by  it.  
 after  removing  it,  i  just  bumped  up  the  CO2  a  bit.  and  reduced  the  photo  period.  and  for  like  2  months,  i  don't  have  any  sign  of  BBA.  :)

this  tank  used  to  be  my  iwagumi  setup.  but  i  made  a  very  very  stupid  mistake  and  the  whole  tank  was  destroyed.  it  took  me  2  seconds  to  destroy  the  tank  Razz  haha...  it  actually  was  funny  and  scared  the  shit  out  of  me  and  my  sister.  

at  that  time,  i  was  treating  this  wood  for  a  second  tank.  but  could  not  resist  and  used  it  in  this  setup.  i  think  i  set  this  up  on  6th  of  November  2010.  started  with  25  plantlets.  so  its  around  3.5-4  months  now.  and  the  plant  has  grown  from  25  to  all  this.  must  be  over  100  now.  

i  have  the  normal  sponge  and  all  that  we  get  in  eheims,  but  i  have  removed  2  pieces  of  the  sponge  and  added  ceramic  rings  there.  is  that  good?  so  its  like  wool,  sponge  and  ceramic  rings

thank  you                

Good  work  Neil...  Thumb Up
saikumar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:55 pm Post subject: Re: My tank with loads of Staurogyne sp. Reply with quote

Thanks  a  ton  Neil,  for  putting  up  all  the  data  together  for  us.  Bow  
 Some  nice  tricks  learnt.

Just  guessing-  is  your  Iwagumi  related  to  thermocol  float?
polya
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:58 pm Post subject: Re: My tank with loads of Staurogyne sp. Reply with quote

@  saikumar

yes  sir,  you  guessed  it  right  Razz   i  had  posted  about  that  in  aquascaping  forum
Batman
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:39 pm Post subject: Re: My tank with loads of Staurogyne sp. Reply with quote

what  diffuser  have  u  got,i  need  that  diffuser  can  u  pm  me  the  price
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: