29. Guest
30. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 28,617

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - A long journey begins- My fish room!
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

A long journey begins- My fish room!
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Native Indian Fishes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:09 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

Marc  wrote  (View  Post):                
Lovely  fish  Nayak   Thumb Up  

Interesting  Barb........does  it  have  a  caudal  peduncle  blotch?                

We  collected  it  at  around  2"  Marc  and  it  never  had  a  peduncle  blotch.   
 Do  you  see  any  barbels  Nayak?   Would  be  great  if  you  have  a  closer  shot  of  the  head.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:35 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

madhu_ulysses  wrote  (View  Post):                
it  never  had  a  peduncle  blotch.   

If  you  are  sure  it  does  not  have  a  caudal  peduncle  blotch  then........this  could  be  P.  amphibius.  

P.S.  I  have  a  few  P.  mahecola  collected  around  Chennai.  They  too  dont  exhibit  a  blotch  when  they  are  relaxed.  When  the  males  start  display  the  blotch  emerges.................so  you  may  want  to  double  check.
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:35 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

rasikanayak  wrote  (View  Post):                
A  few  oddballs....

From  the  Thamirabarani  river

From  Sita  river...  Comes  out  rarely

From  Sita  again....

Regards,
 Nayak.                

Nayak  ....  you  sure  that  you  are  using  a  PS  for  shooting  these?   Bow   Bow   Bow
Batman
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:33 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

wow  nayak,  can  wild  life  authorities  question  u,  its  all  indian  species,  they  cant  breed  in  captivity  arent  u  playing  a  hand  in  driving  them  towards  extinction,  

so  sad  your  provoking  others  also  to  do  collection  of  them,they  may  go  extinct,
random2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:49 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

Batman  wrote  (View  Post):                
wow  nayak,  can  wild  life  authorities  question  u,  its  all  indian  species,  they  cant  breed  in  captivity  arent  u  playing  a  hand  in  driving  them  towards  extinction,  

so  sad  your  provoking  others  also  to  do  collection  of  them,they  may  go  extinct,                

Is  there  any  law  that  forbids  keeping  these  fishes?  Please  do  enlighten  us.

As  far  as  I  know,  none  of  these  fishes  are  on  the  verge  of  extinction.
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:11 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

vyastk  wrote  (View  Post):                
Nice  fish  again  Nayak...The  Goby  especially  is  Yummy   Very Happy                

Thanks,Vyas  Very Happy  

Shankar  wrote  (View  Post):                

Nice  shots  with  a  P&S!  Great  going.   Thumb Up

Thanks,  Shankar  Smile  

Tirtha  C  wrote  (View  Post):                

Nayak  ....  you  sure  that  you  are  using  a  PS  for  shooting  these?   Bow   Bow   Bow

Sony  DSC-H5   
 Hehe....It  does  give  me  some  liberty  to  fiddle  with  the  settings  Very Happy  

Regards,
 Nayak.
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:21 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

If  you  are  sure  it  does  not  have  a  caudal  peduncle  blotch  then........this  could  be  P.  amphibius.  

P.S.  I  have  a  few  P.  mahecola  collected  around  Chennai.  They  too  dont  exhibit  a  blotch  when  they  are  relaxed.  When  the  males  start  display  the  blotch  emerges.................so  you  may  want  to  double  check.                

I've  had  a  few  mahecola/amphibius  from  time  to  time  Marc.   As  you  said  the  blotch  is  pretty  transient.   In  most  of  the  specimen  that  I  had,  the  blotch  was  pretty  prominent  in  juvis  and  faded  as  they  grew  up  to  adults  similar  to  what  happens  in  sarana.   From  what  I've  seen  every  specimen  that  I've  come  across,  all  of  them  showed  the  blotch  at  some  point  of  time  and  I'm  pretty  sure  this  one  was  plain  all  through.   I  had  it  with  me  for  a  while  and  checked  the  same  with  Nayak  as  well.

BTW,  this  one  was  collected  from  the  same  biotope:

Batman  wrote:                

Nayak,
 Run  away...  and  do  find  some  cover  for  me  too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:14 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

I'm  pretty  sure  this  one  was  plain  all  through.   I  had  it  with  me  for  a  while  and  checked  the  same  with  Nayak  as  well.                

That  is  interesting.  A  detailed  examination  of  this  fish  could  sort  out  the  identity  of  P.  amphibius.  

More  reason  for  me  now  to  raid  a  certain  fishroom   Ninja
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:31 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

More  reason  for  me  now  to  raid  a  certain  fishroom   Ninja                

You've  got  company  if  its  this  weekend.   Thumbs Up
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:55 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

Marc,  You  are  correct.  I  too  have  noticed  P.mahecola  both  with  the  caudal  peduncle  blotch  just  after  a  water  change  and  a  complete  absence  of  it  after  3-4  days.  But  the  fish  in  my  picture  which  we  were  of  the  opinion  of  Neolissochilus  Sp,  is  plain  with  not  a  mark  on  the  whole  body.

Here  are  a  few  pictures....

Clicked  in  3-Apr-2010,  when  just  arrived.  Caught  by  Madhu  and  Rahul  in  a  land  locked  drying  puddle  separated  from  the  Thamirabarani  river,  all  these  fishes  would  have  been  feed  for  the  birds  or  ants!  Check  the  whitespots  and  fin  rot.

Clicked  in  20-Apr-2010.  The  healed  fish.

Madhu.The  mouth  with  the  barbels,  enlarged  from  the  above  picture.

Clicked  on  26-Sep-2010.  With  the  P.  mahecola.  Check  the  blotch.

Clicked  on  8-Mar-2011.  The  mouth  close  up.

Regards,
 Nayak.
mcgokul
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:28 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

Tirtha  C  wrote  (View  Post):                

A  few  oddballs....

From  the  Thamirabarani  river

From  Sita  river...  Comes  out  rarely

From  Sita  again....

Regards,
 Nayak.                

Wow   Clapping  .  Same  question  ,  Nayak,  P&S?
Marc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:29 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

But  the  fish  in  my  picture  which  we  were  of  the  opinion  of  Neolissochilus  Sp,  is  plain  with  not  a  mark  on  the  whole  body.

Lovely  fish  Nayak,

Did  not  notice  the  two  pairs  of  barbels...............went  offtrack  to  P.  amphibius  Knock  

Sure  does  look  like  a  Neolissochilus.  Barbodes  (Neolissochilus)  wynaadensis  is  the  only  south  Indian  species  to  which  the  meristics  of  your  fish  kinda  fit.  3.5  scales  between  between  dorsal  fin  and  lateral  line,  Lateral  line  scales  around  24  or  25  and  predorsal  scales  10...............the  only  problem  is  the  absence  of  the  dark  mid  lateral  line  which  is  an  important  key  character.   Confused  

There  is  Barbodes  bovanicus  which  also  fits  your  fish........4  barbels,  last  dorsal  ray  osseous  and  smooth,  lateral  line  24,  predorsal  scales  10,  greenish  gold  in  colour.  I  feel  your  fish  could  be  B.  bovanicus...........a  rare  barb  known  to  be  restricted  to  the  cauvery.  Interesting  it  was  found  in  tamirabarani.............

An  interesting  fish.........Keep  it  safe   Thumb Up
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:56 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

Marc,
 Doesn't  Neolissocheilus  waynaadensis  have  a  round  black  caudal  blotch  at  the  end  of  the  dark  band?

Nayak,
 If  we  are  to  go  with  waynaadensis  or  bovanicus,  it  should  boil  down  to  the  lower  labial  fold.   Interrupted  in  the  case  of  former  and  continuous  if  its  the  later.   I  know  it  would  be  too  much  to  ask  for  a  pic  of  the  ventral  side  of  the  head.   Very Happy
 I'm  more  inclined  to  B.bovanicus.   Thank  God  you  didn't  give  it  off  as  it  was  outgrowing.   Smile
Marc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:08 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

Marc,
 Doesn't  Neolissocheilus  waynaadensis  have  a  round  black  caudal  blotch  at  the  end  of  the  dark  band?

Yup,  it  has  a  blotch  in  addition  to  the  band

it  should  boil  down  to  the  lower  labial  fold.   Interrupted  in  the  case  of  former  and  continuous  if  its  the  later.   

Looks  continuous.........check  the  pic  of  the  white  spot  infested  fish.
oscar-lover
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:35 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

Nayakre.....can  you  post  a  latest  full  shot  of  your  fish  room...  please.....  Thumb Up
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Native Indian Fishes All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 25 of 33

Jump to: