64. Guest
65. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,881

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Fisrt time with Neon tetra. who would be a good tank mate .
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Fisrt time with Neon tetra. who would be a good tank mate .

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eureca
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:05 pm Post subject: Fisrt time with Neon tetra. who would be a good tank mate . Reply with quote

I  bought  50  neon  tetras  from  lfs  and  i  am  very  impressed  with  their  group  movement  .
 It  was  my  dream  from  long  time  to  keep  neon  tetra's  .

I  would  like  to  know  what  fishes  are  compatible  with  neon  tetras  .  I  am  told  paty  and  guppies  are  good  tank  mates  for  neon  tetra's,
 is  it  true  ?

what  are  the  other  fish  that  move  in  a  shoal  like  neon  tetras  ?

...for  got  to  mention   ,  i  got  2  tetras  among  these  which  are  colour  less  ,  there  those  sick  ones  ?

Please  help  me  .

Thanks
RAGHU123
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:09 pm Post subject: Re: Fisrt time with Neon tetra. who would be a good tank mat Reply with quote

colourless  may  also  be  a  other  veriety  of  tetra  or  other  fish  .....................post  pics  off  the  odd  ones  

well  schooling  fishes  are  rummynose  tetra  ...  rainbow  fish  (not  rainbow  shark  )..........and  many  other  tetra  fishes  

well  are  neon  tetras  in  planted  or  in  normal  tanks??????????
sarge
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:14 pm Post subject: Re: Fisrt time with Neon tetra. who would be a good tank mat Reply with quote

50!  How  big  is  your  tank?

Neon  tetras  do  go  well  with  guppies.  I  am  not  sure  if  its  a  good  idea  if  the  guppies  start  breeding.

Neon  tetras  do  well  with  other  tetra  species  and  they  will  often  school  together.  I  have  kept  neon  tetras  with  black  tetras  and  they  do  group  together  from  time  to  time  but  I  find  their  eating  habits  are  different.

As  for  the  color  less  tetras  it  would  be  good  if  you  can  post  a  photo.
natbox
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:17 pm Post subject: Re: Fisrt time with Neon tetra. who would be a good tank mat Reply with quote

tank  specifications  please.
 if  they  are  colorless,  it  must  be  due  to  stress  or  that  they  are  sick.  
 some  pics  would  help.
 Other  tank  mates  would  be  rainbows,  guppies,  platties,  mollies  etc.
 Cory's  can  be  added  as  they  clean  up  the  leftover  food  which  settle  at  the  bottom.
rohits
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:17 pm Post subject: Re: Fisrt time with Neon tetra. who would be a good tank mat Reply with quote

I  currently  have  neon  tetras  along  with  black  &  siver  mollies  and  guppies  in  a  semi  planted  tank  for  about  4  months  now.  They  all  seem  happy.  Though  the  guppies  interact  with  the  mollies  quite  a  lot,  the  tetras  keep  to  themselves
Eureca
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:00 pm Post subject: Re: Fisrt time with Neon tetra. who would be a good tank mat Reply with quote

@  raghu123,sarge,natbox

Here  is  a  pic  of  my  tank  ,  clicked  it  a  few  months  back  without  neon  tetra.

The  specs  are:  volume  is  238,000.0  cubic  centimeters  or  238.0  liters,  which  is  approximately  61.2  U.S.  gallons.  

I  will  post  a  pic  of  the  2  color  less  fish  tonight  .

What  plants  i  am  supposed  to  provide  for  neon  tetra's  ,  they  seem  very  happy  in  the  tank  roaming  with  the  entire  gang  .  They  are  eating  very  well  the  lake  food  i  am  providing.  that  is  the  only  time  they  scatter  from  their  group  to  claim  their  tasty  flakes  Smile  .
sarge
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:14 pm Post subject: Re: Fisrt time with Neon tetra. who would be a good tank mat Reply with quote

Nice  setup.  It  is  really  looking  good  on  that  wall.  I  can  see  you  have  a  blue  background  to  the  tank.  Some  hobbyists  prefer  black  backgrounds  and  dark  substrates  as  these  really  bring  out  the  colors  on  the  tetras.

As  for  the  plant  query  ..  it  is  not  absolutely  necessary  but  neon  tetras  natural  habitat  are  densely  planted  and  they  like  low  lit  areas  and  hiding  spots.
 Even  I  am  trying  to  acquire  some  floating  plants  for  my  tetra  tank.

Although  I  have  kept  tetras  for  sometime  now  I  would  like  to  learn  from  your  experience  too.
 Which  flake  food  are  you  feeding  your  tetras?
 I  feed  my  tetras  micro  pellets  and  tetra  bits  and  occasionally  blood  worms  although  I  see  only  few  of  them  really  going  for  the  worms.  I  am  yet  to  try  some  frozen  brine  shrimp.

Also  if  someone  can  guide  me  as  to  which  substrate  I  can  use  if  I  am  not  planning  for  a  planted  tank  particularly.  The  substrate  needs  to  be  dark.
sarge
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:25 pm Post subject: Re: Fisrt time with Neon tetra. who would be a good tank mat Reply with quote

Btw  I  remembered  that  I  have  kept  swordtails  with  neons  with  no  problems  although  the  swordtails  died  in  a  few  weeks  due  to  infection.
Eureca
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:29 pm Post subject: Re: Fisrt time with Neon tetra. who would be a good tank mat Reply with quote

@sarge  
 I  had  a  black  background  before  ,  recently  i  painted  blue  epoxy  .  neon  tetras  would  have  looked  better  with  black  background  .  i  am  feeding  them  micromix.
Titash
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:35 pm Post subject: Re: Fisrt time with Neon tetra. who would be a good tank mat Reply with quote

i'll  suggest  for  platies,  and  rummy  nose  tetras  will  lokk  great  Cheering
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Eureca
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:18 pm Post subject: Re: Fisrt time with Neon tetra. who would be a good tank mat Reply with quote

Hmmm  i  got  no  better  camera  ,  took  it  on  my  phone  camera  .

But  even  those  white  men  are  looking  extreme  active  and  showing  no  signs  of  stress  and  disease  to  me  .
sarge
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:08 pm Post subject: Re: Fisrt time with Neon tetra. who would be a good tank mat Reply with quote

Something  like  this?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronkoo/557178563/
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: