45. Guest
46. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,873

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Need help at scaping Tank - 1st Try
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Need help at scaping Tank - 1st Try

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rohits
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:48 pm Post subject: Need help at scaping Tank - 1st Try Reply with quote

This  is  my  first  attempt  at  a  planted  tank  and  would  need  your  help  in  scaping  it  properly.  the  tank  dimensions  are  30''(l)  X  12''  (b)  X  12''  (h)  due  to  FSI  restriction  by  the  Home  minister     Crying or Very sad  

Plants  were  what  I  already  had  in  a  smaller  tank,  just  planted  them  as  and  when  purchased  and  now  have  transfered  them  here.  The  Plant  list  is  as  follows,  I  hope  its  right,  if  not  please  correct  me.
 Bacopa  caroliniana
 Cabomba  caroliniana
 Limnophila  sessiliflora
 Sagittaria  platyphylla
 Limnophila  aquatica
 Red  Ludwigia
 Egeria  densa
 Red  Mint
 Green  Wenditti

Substrate  is  mix  of  Laterite  and  potted  soil   in  70:30  ratio  with  white  sand  on  top.  The  planting  was  done  the  previous  day  and  since  the  light  fixture   36W  PLL  was  yet  to  be  put  up  and  the  DIY  CO2  done  which  took  a  day,  the  grass  in  front  and  crypt  has  yellowed.  The  bottle  on  the  drift  wood  is  temporary  to  keep  it  from  floating  up.

The  background  is  going  to  be  black.

The  drift  wood  is  the  best  i  could  find  and  the  idea  is  to  have  it  in  the  midle  as  sort  of  a  bridge  with  provision  for  fish  to  swim  through  it.  It  will  be  covered  with  Christmas  Moss  which  I  have.  It  also  has  kind  of  a  huge  crater  on  top  whic  i  was  thinking  of  attaching  some  Riccia  to.

The  other  thought  was  to  have  a  nice  balance  of  Red  and  green  on  both  sides  and  so  the  plants  have  been  planted  accordingly.

The  Riccia  on  the  right  was  just  added  yesterday  courtesy  "Aquariumer"  Thinking  of  switching  all  the  grass  to  the  left  and  keeping  the  Riccia  on  the  Right.

The  above  is  what  i  had  thought  off  when  planting,  would  require  all  your  suggestions  to  make  this  good!

saurabh_m
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:38 pm Post subject: Re: Need help at scaping Tank - 1st Try Reply with quote

Rohit,  the  white  sand  on  top  doesn't  look  natural.  Try  arranging  driftwood  in  a  different  way.  The  airstone  at  front  should  be  taken  backward  and  try  to  hide  it.  Try  to  place  your  pH  and  ammonia  meters  on  side  wall  of  the  tank  and  not  on  the  front  (I  doubt  you  really  need  these).   
 Why  is  there  a  cap  above  the  airstone,  this  way  the  CO2  would  accumulate  in  it  and  escape  as  big  bubbles,  let  small  bubbles  of  CO2  release  in  the  tank  so  that  they  may  be  absorbed  to  maximum.  
 I  find  an  extra  filter  on  the  top  of  the  tank,  whats  that  doing  over  there?  Use  it.  

These  are  my  few  suggestions,  I  may  be  wrong.  Wait  for  the  experts  too.
rohits
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:14 pm Post subject: Re: Need help at scaping Tank - 1st Try Reply with quote

Thanx  Saurabh,  Yes  all  the  indicators  will  go  to  the  side  and  the  airstone  at  the  back.  Just  need  it  in  the  front  for  a  few  days  to  see  that  everything  is  going  ok.   The  extra  cap  is  kept  at  an  angle  which  has  a  an  air  gap  (If  you  look  closely,  the  top  quarter)  so  there  is  no  big  bubble  that  forms  and   "I  Think"  that  the  co2  dissolves  there  in  the  air  pocket  and  then  finds  its  way  down....  I  may  be  totally  wrong  on  this.

The  filter  though  stated  650  l/hr  was  a  tornado  that  uprooted  half  my  plants  hence  laid  to  rest  on  top  Chuckle   I  think  I  need  somewhere  around  400  -  450  ltr/hr.  The  150  ltr/hr  currently  doing  job  inside  is  too  mild.
RAGHU123
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:43 pm Post subject: Re: Need help at scaping Tank - 1st Try Reply with quote

nice  setup  

but  never  seen  a  150  L/  per  hour  filter  

minimum  is  a  300  l/hour
natbox
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:23 pm Post subject: Re: Need help at scaping Tank - 1st Try Reply with quote

is  the  stand  strong  enough  to  hold  the  tank.  Too  little  plants.PLant  more  plants.
 White  sand  looks  pleasing  to  the  eye  until  it  gets  dirty.  
 Could  raise  the  level  of  the  water  column.  
 if  your  filter  is  stirring  up  the  plants  then  direct  the  flow  towards  a  position  which  does  not  unsettle  the  plants.  else  attach  a  sponge  to  reduce  the  flow.
 rearrange  the  driftwood  towards  the  left  of  the  tank.  2/3  rd's  rule.
rohits
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:11 pm Post subject: Re: Need help at scaping Tank - 1st Try Reply with quote

@  raghu:  My  bad...  Yes  thats  the  Boyu  SP-100A  300  l/hr

@nata:  Thanks  for  all  teh  advice  The  water  column  was  being  raised  gradually  to  test  the  stand  as  its  DIY  Very Happy  .  testing  complete,  raised  the  water  column  and  the  filter  seems  ok  now  but  i  still  have  heavy  disturbance  at  the  surface  and  I  am  afraid  that  i  may  not  have  enough  CO2  dissolved  since  that  too  is  DIY.

With  regards  to  the  plant  quantity,  I  was  hoping  to  plant  less  and  then  depening  on  growth  and  the  way  teh  scape  goes,  i  would  use  the  cuttings  to  replant.  Please  correct  me  if  my  method  is  wrong

Could  you  please  throw  some  light  on  the  "Attaching  of  sponge"  to  reduce  flow.

Thanks  for  the  2/3  rd  rule  will  rearrange  the  driftwood  accordingly.
Arnab
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:33 pm Post subject: Re: Need help at scaping Tank - 1st Try Reply with quote

Rohit

Here  goes  my  two  bits:

1.  You  need  to  get  some  fast  growing  plants  to  absorb  the  initial  high  nutrient  of  the  water  column.  Else  you  will  likely  get  algae  bloom.  Get  some  cheap  stems  and  plant  at  the  back.  You  can  discard  these  later,  once  your  primary  plants  take  hold.  
 2.  The  white  sand  layer  seems  to  be  non-uniform  in  depth  and  the  lower  layer  of  laterite  +  soil  is  not  well  covered  in  some  places.  Excess  nutrients  will  leach  into  the  water  column  from  these  spots.  Your  power  filter  might  stir  things  up  as  well.  The  water  will  become  cloudy  if  that  happens.  It  might  be  a  good  idea  to  add  a  bit  more  sand.  
 3.  The  uneven  layer  of  black  and  white  substrate  is  not  visibly  pleasing.  The  upper  substrate  should  be  placed  in  the  sides  so  that  the  layer  is  not  visible.  Maybe  next  time.     
 4.  Why  don't  you  use  a  spray  bar  to  dissipate  the  outlet  water  force?

Warm  regards.
 Arnab.
rohits
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:58 pm Post subject: Re: Need help at scaping Tank - 1st Try Reply with quote

Thanks  Arnab  for  your  suggestions.  Yes  will  get  some  more  stem  plants  and  plant  accordingly.

The  sand  is  not  uniform  as  after   planting  and  starting  the  filter  most  of  the  plants  were  uprooted,  so  i  think  i  screwed  up  when  replanting   a  few  times:cry:   Will  add  more  sand  and  even  it  out.

The  stand  will  get  some  wood  touches  to  it  and  i  plan  to  cover  the  bottom  thermocol  upto  the  substrate  soil  with  only  the  sand  visible,  so  hopefully  that  should  take  care  of  it.

I  have  now  got  the  Boyu  1000A  which  seems  quite  good  and  a  HOB  at  the  other  end
aquariumer
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:49 pm Post subject: Re: Need help at scaping Tank - 1st Try Reply with quote

Hey  Rohit  your  idea  of  cap  on  airstone  is  interesting  even  I  feel  it  will  dissolve  the  gas  well   Thumb Up  .also  you  can  keep  the  airstone  in  the  opposite  direction  of  the  filter  outflow  so  that  it  gets  maximum  water  flow.
 IMO  growth  of  plant  is  of  more  concern  than  the  overall  outlook  or  presentation  of  your  tank  but  still  i  would  suggest  you  just  go  thru  various  aquascaping  picture  on  google  and  make  a  plan  of  plants  and  scape  etc  and  change  that  filter  to  a  slim  and  small  looking  filter  with  similar  or  more  capacity
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: