178. Guest
179. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,753

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Upgrading the Aquarium
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Upgrading the Aquarium
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> New Members and Beginners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ansh681
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:16 am Post subject: Upgrading the Aquarium Reply with quote

Hi  

I'm  new  to  a  community  website  and  don't  know  the  actual  way  of  asking  questions.....  so  excuse  me  for  any  errors  from  my  end.....  
 I'm  planning  to  upgrade  my  aquarium.  As  i'm  planning  to  keep  it  in  one  corner  of  my  house,  so  the  actual  shape  of  the  aquarium  is  going  to  be  triangular,  almost  225  litres.
 I  need  help  in  deciding  the  appropriate  filtration  system,  substrates  and  plants  for  the  same.  
 Right  now  I'm  having  goldfish,  silver  dollar,  shark  (dont  know  the  exact  name)  and  angel  fish  in  my  tank.  
 *I'm  from  Chandigarh  and  the  fish  culture  in  this  city  is  not  so  popular,  so  may  be  the  kind  of  equipment  or  substrate  you  guys  suggest  might  not  be  available*

Thanks  
 Ansh
parthapratim22
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:37 am Post subject: Re: Upgrading the Aquarium Reply with quote

Welcome  to  IAH...

you  will  sure  find  pepole  helpful  here...

Best  of  luck.
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:03 am Post subject: Re: Upgrading the Aquarium Reply with quote

Welcome  to  IAH.
 The  shark  in  your  tank  might  be  a  Pangasius  catfish,  also  known  as  iridescent  shark.
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridescent_shark
 It  grows  very  big  and  eventually  needs  to  be  shifted  to  larger  tank.
 A  triangular  tank  might  be  a  problem,  what  would  be  the  dimensions.
 For  a  non  planted  tank,  substrate  is  never  a  problem,  just  pick  up  any  gravel  you  find  appealing,  it  should  be  not  contain  calcium  carbonate  based  stones.
 For  a  planted  tank  use  and  having  gravel  size  between  2-3  mm.
Ansh681
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:22 am Post subject: Re: Upgrading the Aquarium Reply with quote

Hi  

Thanks  Parthapratim22  !

Thanks  Sandeep  for  replying.  Yes,  you  are  right  its  that  fish.  The  dimensions  of  the  triangular  aquarium  will  be  (36"  x  36")  sides  and  20"  height.  What  I  have  planned  is  to  make  a  DIY  trickle  filter  on  the  edge  of  it.  I  need  to  do  some  more  study  on  the  trickle  filters.  Local  pet  shop  sent  me  this  as  a  quotation  ((Saint  gobain  aquarium  crystal  clear  glass)  silicon  =  xxx,  making  =  xxx,  table   =  xxxx  (wooden  waterproof  board  mith  mica),  gravel  =  xx/kg)),  these  prices  does  not  include  the  price  for  the  glass.  Can  you  guide  me  about  the  issues  I  may  face  due  to  this  triangular  aquarium.

Moderator:  Please  do  not  use  prices,  it  is  not  allowed  on  forum.
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:54 am Post subject: Re: Upgrading the Aquarium Reply with quote

Please  add  city  in  your  profile  it  will  help  members  in  helping  you  out.
 Price  discussions  are  not  allowed  in  forum,  therefore  I  am  sending  you  approx  cost  of  such  tank  by  pm.
 Viewing  gets  distorted  in  triangular  aquariums,  further  the  swimming  area  is  also  reduced.  You  will  have  problems  in  finding  lights  for  this  shape.
 A  rectangular  tank  is  always  better,  keep  it  diagonally  in  the  corner,  it  will  serve  the  same  purpose.
 Search  this  forum,  there  was  once  a  tank  similar  to  your  tank,  it  had  quiet  a  lot  of  discussions.
RAGHU123
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:55 am Post subject: Re: Upgrading the Aquarium Reply with quote

hey  ansh681  

please  dont  mention  price  in  fourm  plrase  .............its  not  allowed  for  telling  any  price  

i  hope  the  moderators  will  sone  edit  the  prices  to  xxxx  ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or  better  u  edit  

as  i  saw  the  price  its  damn  high  ........  main  costly  thing  is  glass  but  in  your  case  all  other  this  are  costlier  man  

silicon  xxx  

making  xxxx

tabel  xxxx  i  dont  know  table  price  but  maybe  its  ok  as  its  made  of  wood  and  wood  works  may  cost  a  lot  but  your  rate  may  be  a  bit  high
Ansh681
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:52 am Post subject: Re: Upgrading the Aquarium Reply with quote

Hi  Sandeep  

I've  gone  through  the  link  you  have  sent  me  .  I  hope  u've  received  my  pm.  
 All  the  details  needed  in  making  of  the  triangular  tank  is  with  me.  
 Next  part  is  the  availability  of  items  like  substrate,  filter  equipments,  plants.  
 I  was  planning  to  use  the  wet  dry  trickle  filter  in  the  triangular  tank  and  that  too  within  the  tank.  
 As  this  will  be  the  first  time  I'm  opting  for  the  planted  tank,  what  all  precautions,  equipments  I  need.  
 Will  I  be  able  to  keep  all  these  fish  which  I've  mentioned,  in  the  planted  tank.  

Thanks  for  replying  in  advance.  

Regards  
 Ansh
Ansh681
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:18 pm Post subject: Re: Upgrading the Aquarium Reply with quote

Hi  All  
 After  going  through  a  couple  of  threads  related  to  filtration  system,  I  made  a  diagram  of  another  filtration  system.   Cheering  
 There  may  be  someone  who  might  have  thought  of  this  idea.  I  just  wanted  to  share  this  diagram  and  consult  you  guys  regarding  this.  One  question  which  is  coming  into  my  mind  is  that  how  important  is  the  circulation  in  this  or  any  other  filtration  system.  

In  this  diagram  ,  what  if  we  I  keep  the  pump  within  the  in-filter  system  (at  the  bottom)  and  let  the  water  flow  out  in  the  aquarium.  Inlet  will  be  from  the  top,  in  the  form  of  overflow.  

Which  option  will  be  better  ?  Please  suggest  guys  !

Thanks  in  Advance  !

Regards  
 Ansh
Kuna
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:03 pm Post subject: Re: Upgrading the Aquarium Reply with quote

Hi  Ansh,

I  dont  have  any  idea  if  you  kep  your  pump  inside  the  filter  area....but  what  you  have  put  in  the  diagram  is  looks  fine  to  me.  
 The  diagram  below  is  just  few  more  addition  to  your  idea.  Have  a  look.

parthapratim22
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:47 pm Post subject: Re: Upgrading the Aquarium Reply with quote

@Kuna--Why  there  are  two  layers  of  ceramic  rings????  Two  different  kinds  of  rings????

@  Ansh-  Silver  Dollars  are  not  allowed  for  planted  tank.  Shocked
Kuna
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:34 pm Post subject: Re: Upgrading the Aquarium Reply with quote

parthapratim22  wrote  (View  Post):                
@Kuna--Why  there  are  two  layers  of  ceramic  rings????  Two  different  kinds  of  rings????

I  normally  put  more  ceramic  rings...instead  of  two  layers  or  ceramic  rings  you  can  use  one  layer  of  some  other  filter  media  too.
Ansh681
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:53 am Post subject: Re: Upgrading the Aquarium Reply with quote

@  Kuna  -  Thanks  Kuna  !  The  diagram  itself  is  self  explanatory.  One  question  which  comes  into  my  mind  is  the  circulation  of  water.  
 With  this  setup  (pump  very  close  to  outlet  of  water),  will  the  circulation  of  water  be  sufficient  enough  ?  Otherwise,  setup  is  great  !

@  Partha  -  Thanks  for  your  reply  !  I  will  keep  this  thing  in  my  mind  about  silver  dollars.  

I've  heard  (pet  shop  guy  in  Chandigarh  told  me)  that  you  can  keep  small  fish  in  a  planted  tank  not  big  ones.  He  told  me  that  I  can  not  keep  big  fish  like  goldfish,  sharks,  angels  as  they  have  the  habit  of  biting  the  leaves  and  pulling  out  the  plants  from  the  roots.  Is  that  so  ?

Regards  
 Ansh
ysubhankumar
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:54 am Post subject: Re: Upgrading the Aquarium Reply with quote

Sorry  to  inform  u  my  friend  but  your  concept  is  wrong...as  its  simple  physics  that  water  acquires  same  level.So  when  your  pump  runs  water  into  the  filter  box  as  designed  by  u  than  it  won't  make  somuch  pressure  that  water  will  come  from  the  outlet  below....it  will  acquire  the  same  water  level  in  the  tank  &  will  not  do  any  good  to  your  tank's  filtration....thinkpractically  about  it...............
Ansh681
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:12 am Post subject: Re: Upgrading the Aquarium Reply with quote

@  ysubhankumar  -  Thanks  for  your  reply  !  I  got  your  point  what  u  r  trying  to  say.  Thats  right  !  So  what  should  be  done  ?
 Suggest  me  a  design  

Regards  
 Ansh
jerin111111
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:22 am Post subject: Re: Upgrading the Aquarium Reply with quote

water  and  the  filter  are  in  same  height,  so  water  flow  might  get  little  restricted,  the  water  current  also  is  way  too  low.....
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  New Members and Beginners All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: