42. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 28,777

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Quality Of Posts
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Quality Of Posts
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Site Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surya_niki
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:21 pm Post subject: Quality Of Posts Reply with quote

Hi,

For  quite  sometime  we  have  noticed  that  the  quality  of  posts  on  IAH  has  bought  about  a  lot  of  changes  in  experienced  hobbyists

1. Lack  of  threads  for  senior  members  to  comment
 2. Most  members  stay  away  from  posting  suggestions
 3. Most  members  show  less  interest  in  logging  into  IAH  
 4. Some  of  the  members  have  joined  other  forums  due  to  lack  of  interesting  posts  here

IAH  site  has  been  my  bible  for  fish  keeping  since  the  time  I  have  joined  in  2006.  This  is  only  because  of  the  experience  that  the  member’s  posses  here.  The  science  involved  in  maintaining  an  aquarium  is  just  phenomenal  and  the  members  here  are  experts  in  every  aspect  of  fish  keeping.  What  little  I  know  of  fish  keeping  is  because  of  this  site  and  it  is  sad  to  see  the  quality  and  the  comments  the  new  members  post  here

To  list  out  a  few  very  annoying  threads

1. Mollies  and  guppies  giving  birth  and  how  to  take  care  of  the  fries  –  There  is  a  dedicated  sub-forums  “  Breeding  and  fry  care”  which  contains  enough  information  for  any  one  to  breed  some  easy  to  difficult  fish  and  I  would  suggest  members  go  through  these  documented  information  than  opening  a  new  thread  for  the  same
 2. Fish  dying,  not  sure  why?  –  Again  there  is  a  sub-forum  which  talks  about  disease  and  cure
 3. Please  comments  on  my  new  scape  –  This  is  the  most  annoying  thread.  Some  of  the  scapes  may  be  appealing  to  the  owner  but  not  others.  Even  then  members  who  have  been  here  for  some  time  post  that  it  is  good,  great,  has  potential  etc.  Why  not  tell  the  hobbyist  where  he  went  wrong  and  what  could  be  done  to  make  the  scape  look  better
 4.  Comment  on  my  tank  -  I  would  suggest  hobbyists  who  not  open  to  suggestions  and  criticism,  edit  their  posts  and  spare  us  the  horror  from  your  prejudice  posts.  Why  do  you  want  to  know  what  is  better  for  you  when  you  are  not  open  to  any  of  the  above.
 5.  Plants  dying  -  Another  sub-forum  which  has  this  information.
 6. Planted  tank  setups,  information  on  co2,  regulator  not  working,  questions  on  lighting,  choosing  etc…  This  list  is  never  ending.

What  we  mean  is,  every  day  we  see  the  same  posts  repeated  by  some  or  the  other  member.  Hence  I  would  request  you  to  go  through  the  sub-forums  before  you  post  something  which  is  already  there.

We  know  that  there  is  no  restriction  on  opening  a  new  thread,  but  at  least  members  who  have  stayed  here  for  sometime  can  improve  the  quality  of  posts.

Note:  Didn’t  mean  to  hurt  anyone  but  the  intentionally  started  this  thread  to  see  some  improvement  in  posts.  

One  more  thing,  I'm  open  to  suggestion  and  criticism  on  this  post.

Regards,
 Surya
Titash
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:10 am Post subject: Re: Quality Of Posts Reply with quote

I  totally  agree  with  you.  Drinking   I've  seen  many  members  who  are  new  to  IAH,  they  explore  through  their  preferred  forum  and  search  for  the  threads  which  have  less  replies.  Just  a  few  days  ago  only  I  got  a  PM  for  my  post  HITH  of  oranda  goldfish,  that  I'd  posted  when  I  was  new  to  IAH.  But  my  oranda  goldy  has  passed  away  1  year  ago.  Please  forgive  me  if  I'm  rude.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
sid
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:58 am Post subject: Re: Quality Of Posts Reply with quote

surya_niki  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi,

For  quite  sometime  we  have  noticed  that  the  quality  of  posts  on  IAH  has  bought  about  a  lot  of  changes  in  experienced  hobbyists

1. Lack  of  threads  for  senior  members  to  comment
 2. Most  members  stay  away  from  posting  suggestions
 3. Most  members  show  less  interest  in  logging  into  IAH  
 4. Some  of  the  members  have  joined  other  forums  due  to  lack  of  interesting  posts  here

IAH  site  has  been  my  bible  for  fish  keeping  since  the  time  I  have  joined  in  2006.  This  is  only  because  of  the  experience  that  the  member’s  posses  here.  The  science  involved  in  maintaining  an  aquarium  is  just  phenomenal  and  the  members  here  are  experts  in  every  aspect  of  fish  keeping.  What  little  I  know  of  fish  keeping  is  because  of  this  site  and  it  is  sad  to  see  the  quality  and  the  comments  the  new  members  post  here

To  list  out  a  few  very  annoying  threads

1. Mollies  and  guppies  giving  birth  and  how  to  take  care  of  the  fries  –  There  is  a  dedicated  sub-forums  “  Breeding  and  fry  care”  which  contains  enough  information  for  any  one  to  breed  some  easy  to  difficult  fish  and  I  would  suggest  members  go  through  these  documented  information  than  opening  a  new  thread  for  the  same
 2. Fish  dying,  not  sure  why?  –  Again  there  is  a  sub-forum  which  talks  about  disease  and  cure
 3. Please  comments  on  my  new  scape  –  This  is  the  most  annoying  thread.  Some  of  the  scapes  may  be  appealing  to  the  owner  but  not  others.  Even  then  members  who  have  been  here  for  some  time  post  that  it  is  good,  great,  has  potential  etc.  Why  not  tell  the  hobbyist  where  he  went  wrong  and  what  could  be  done  to  make  the  scape  look  better
 4.  Comment  on  my  tank  -  I  would  suggest  hobbyists  who  not  open  to  suggestions  and  criticism,  edit  their  posts  and  spare  us  the  horror  from  your  prejudice  posts.  Why  do  you  want  to  know  what  is  better  for  you  when  you  are  not  open  to  any  of  the  above.
 5.  Plants  dying  -  Another  sub-forum  which  has  this  information.
 6. Planted  tank  setups,  information  on  co2,  regulator  not  working,  questions  on  lighting,  choosing  etc…  This  list  is  never  ending.

What  we  mean  is,  every  day  we  see  the  same  posts  repeated  by  some  or  the  other  member.  Hence  I  would  request  you  to  go  through  the  sub-forums  before  you  post  something  which  is  already  there.

We  know  that  there  is  no  restriction  on  opening  a  new  thread,  but  at  least  members  who  have  stayed  here  for  sometime  can  improve  the  quality  of  posts.

Note:  Didn’t  mean  to  hurt  anyone  but  the  intentionally  started  this  thread  to  see  some  improvement  in  posts.  

One  more  thing,  I'm  open  to  suggestion  and  criticism  on  this  post.

Regards,
 Surya                

This  is  the  best  post  ever.  Ever.
yajur
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:17 am Post subject: Re: Quality Of Posts Reply with quote

what  you  talking  is  correct

most  of  new  people  include  me  only  posted  new  topic  for  our  issues  even  it  has  been  there  in  the  forum  or  net,but  in  this  there  good  point  also  few  good  suggestion  where  got  my  experts

and  most  of  them  only  intersted  in  there  which  also  include  me  because  lack  of  knowledge  so  afraid  to  comment  abut  other  thread

to  be  frank  had  fish  take  for  more  than  8hrs  but  i  dont  know  anything  about  cycle  after  starting  my  planted  tank  i  got  know  it  and  getting  idea  day  by  day,so  iam  started  to  helping  other  also  posted  some  idea  in  other  thread,once  i  got  full  idea  i  can  start  intract  in  other  thread.

for  some  people  i  may  now  happend  because  they  can  be  busy  or  other  things

and  my  suggestion  to  mod  why  cant  we  make  sticky  thread  in  forum  where  we  can  make  external  link  to  all  main  thread  ?
aquariumer
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:29 am Post subject: Re: Quality Of Posts Reply with quote

Hey  Surya  I  agree  with  you  ,  and  i  totally  agree  with  point  no.3
 I  have  seen  new  guys  digging  the  old  grave  ,  I  mean  advising  on  some   year  old  querry  Chuckle  
 and  these  guys  keep  posting  to  old  thread  with  just  two  or  three  words  such  as  great,good  etc
Marc

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:31 am Post subject: Re: Quality Of Posts Reply with quote

Very  true  Surya,  I  see  people  are  just  plain  lazy.  Nobody  wants  to  read,  nobody  want  to  know  anything  a  little  more  detailed.  

I  am  sorry  if  am  being  rude,  but  sometime  one  tends  to  feel  its  not  worth  it  to  start  a  thread  with  some  science,  cause  it  aint  gonne  cross  20  posts.  Trust  me,  I  have  tried............  Sad  

People  have  been  banned  on  IAH  for  posting  ridiculous  threads,  but  how  many  will  you  ban??  If  a  strict  rule  is  followed  by  banning  people,  I  wont  be  surprised  if  more  than  50%  get  banned.  

I  say  this  with  dejection...........if  not  for  the  great  regard  I  have  for  some  senior  members  on  IAH,  I  would  have  moved  on..........  Sad  

Regards,  Marc
aquariumer
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:44 am Post subject: Re: Quality Of Posts Reply with quote

repeated  new  threads  with  similar  subject  line  is  piled  up  on  the  important  and  usefull  threads  and  goes  back  pages.  this  makes  searching  more  difficult  due  to  duplication  of  the  subject
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:50 am Post subject: Re: Quality Of Posts Reply with quote

Horrible  spelling  in  the  subject  line  has  ensured  the  search  function  is  redundant  !
essabee
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:24 am Post subject: Re: Quality Of Posts Reply with quote

A  new  member  and  also  new  to  the  hobby  is  like  a  toddler  discovering  the  world  anew  -  unsure  of  himself,  unsure  where  the  answers  are,  even  unsure  if  those  are  the  answers.

Those  of  you  who  have  long  forgotten  that  state,  and  have  since  innumerable  times  guided  others  repeatedly  through  that  very  path  treading  on  the  mundane  cobbles  of  basic  aquarium  knowledge,  do  have  all  rights  to  feel  bored  and  impatient  with  the  fresh  lot  of  aquarium  toddlers  but  you  forget  that  this  lot  too  need  the  same  guidance.  You  also  forget  that  you  have  raised  a  generation  of  competent  aquarium  hobbyist  who  can  now  do  the  task.  Yes!  you  are  now  becoming  redundant  and  the  only  assurance  you  need  are  questions  which  cannot  be  answered  by  that  competent  generation  that  you  have  raised.  Those  opportunities  will  be  few  and  far  between.

Bear  with  life  -  its  progress  is  all  so  repetitive.
gremlin
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:20 am Post subject: Re: Quality Of Posts Reply with quote

A  newbee  is  looking  for  an  answer  to  his  or  her  specific  problem.  What  use  is  it  for  him  to  read  on  some  old  post  to  his  problem.  When  I  started  this  hobby  and  had  a  problem,  my  thought  was  to  ask  someone  in  the  forum  to  get  a  direct  answer  to  my  specific  problem.  IF  Someone  is  going  to  follow  your  points  from  1-6  then  there  is  no  use  for  this  forum,  anyone  can  google  it  and  find  the  answer.  There  is  nothing  wrong  in  asking  questions,  even  if  it  is  same  old,  same  old.
Zakk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:54 am Post subject: Re: Quality Of Posts Reply with quote

Madan  wrote  (View  Post):                
Horrible  spelling  in  the  subject  line  has  ensured  the  search  function  is  redundant  !                

Couldnt  agree  with  you  more  and  would  like  to  add  "Irrelevant  Topic  Titles"  to  this.

Is  it  just  me  or  has  the  quality  of  the  English  language  declined  in  India  over  the  last  few  years?  I  have  seen  some  HORRID  spellings,  irrelavent  verbiage  and  completly  retarded  sentence  structure.

I  came  across  a  thread  titled  "Please  see  to  it."  I  opened  the  thread  thinking  its  something  with  regards  to  a  few  tips  and  tricks  or  even  pointers  for  something  we  didnt  know  about.  Turns  out  that  he  wanted  to  show  off  his  Flower  Horn.  I  facepalmed  my  self  IRL.  

I  am  a  cichlid  lover  and  will  be  found  lookin  through  that  sub  forum  a  lot.  However,  most  of  the  topics  over  there  are  not  related  to  keeping  or  health  of  thier  fish  but  a  display  of  what  they  have.  

I  believe  the  Admins  &  Mods  need  to  start  putting  their  foot  down  and  admonishing  people  for  such  things  and  moving  the  threads  to  the  relevant  section.
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:28 am Post subject: Re: Quality Of Posts Reply with quote

Asking  basic  questions  haven't  been  a  big  problem  here,  rather  posting  just  for  the  heck  of  it  has.   Besides  I  know  of  a  few  guys  who  wet  their  pants  to  open  their  mouths  in  a  few  foreign  forums  that  I  know  doesn't  even  seem  to  give  a  second  thought  to  throw  out  a  post  here.   The  only  reason  being,  out  there  they  would  be  laughed  at,  mercilessly  and  here  we  don't  do  that.
 And  for  the  newbie  questions,  I  don't  agree  with  the  above  arguments  on  repetitive  questions.   Its  a  fact  that  a  newbie  is  a  bit  over  enthusiastic  and  wants  straight  answers  right  out  of  the  box.   Now  that  IAH  is  an  organized  forum  it  really  wouldn't  take  that  much  time  to  go  into  a  relevant  forum  and  look  for  his  answers.   I'm  sure  most  of  the  questions  posted  everyday  will  have  answers  in  the  first  2-3  pages  in  the  relevant  forum.   And  if  a  newbie  says  he  doesn't  have  the  time  to  do  this,  he  doesn't  deserve  an  answer.
 Next  comes  the  show  off  part.   I've  seen  threads  titled  "Pls  comment  on  my  planted  tank"  with  a  cell  phone  picture  having  a  tank  with  color  gravel  and  3-4  sticks  of  Cabomba  anchored  here  and  there.   The  same  thread  would  have  been  acceptable  if  it  were  attached  with  one  meaningful  question  or  a  bit  of  technical  info.   But  without  it,  you  wouldn't  need  IAH  for  this,  you  have  Orkut  &  FB.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yogesh

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:54 am Post subject: Re: Quality Of Posts Reply with quote

Must  admit  hate  to  see  years  old  thread  dug  to  post  just  one  stupid  smiley.

Chitchat  is  fun  sometimes,  but  people  must  understand  that  overdose  of  such  topics  is  not  welcomed.  Its  horrible  to  see  10/15  topics  on  the  homepage  as  Chitchats.  Recently  one  user  was  temporarily  banned  who  was  on  chitchat  posting  spree  (not  before  he  was  warned  of  his  actions);  Maybe  first  time  in  the  history  of  IAH  for  such  weird  reason.

But  nobody  would  disagree  to  that  fact  that  discussion  on  IAH  always  maintained  its  high  standards  particularly  Natives  &  Discus  section.  Thumb Up
abhis9
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:21 am Post subject: Re: Quality Of Posts Reply with quote

Hi  Surya,

Thx  dude...well  said  ...I  agree  with  you  specially  the  "Repeated  threads"  ....

And  I  really  believe  in  "Quality"  not  "Quantity".......

Thanks
bmvbab
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:04 pm Post subject: Re: Quality Of Posts Reply with quote

abhis9  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  Surya,

Thx  dude...well  said  ...I  agree  with  you  specially  the  "Repeated  threads"  ....

And  I  really  believe  in  "Quality"  not  "Quantity".......

Thanks                

Agree  with  Surya.  Increasing  the  post  count  is  one  of  the  most  tempting  reasons  for  not  very  useful  posts.  I  have  done  that  too-guilty.

Can  we  have  an  "I  like"/"TFS"  button?  For  instance  I  have  seen  in  some  forums  we  can  just  click  on  a  "Thank  you"  button  and  not  give  any  comments  if  we  dont  have  any.

One  more  suggestion,  if  possible  can  we  automatically  lock  a  thread  that  was  last  updated  30  days  ago?  Read  in  an  earlier  post  that  only  the  OP  can  reopen  a  thread  that  was  posted  more  than  6months  ago[or  was  it  3  months?].  This  would  really  stop  people  reopening  age  old  threads  just  for  the  heck  of  it.

Mods,  please  give  this  a  thought.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Site Chatter All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: