207. Guest
208. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,937

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - help - CRS losing colour
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

help - CRS losing colour

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Invertebrates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sawantamey
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:19 am Post subject: help - CRS losing colour Reply with quote

Its  being  a  month  that  Crystal  Red  Shrimps  are  with  me.  But  day  by  day  i  am  observing  that  they  are  losing  their  colour.  Mainly  the  white  part  is  turning  down  to  translucent.
 the  Tank  temperature  is  26  c  and  has  java  moss  tied  to  it.
 i  have  kept  the  CRS  with  RCS.  i  dont  think  that  should  be  the  problem.
sawantamey
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:31 pm Post subject: Re: help - CRS losing colour Reply with quote

15  views  but  no  reply  .....  Sad
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:14 pm Post subject: Re: help - CRS losing colour Reply with quote

What  are  your  feeding  them?
 They  dont  each  much,like  cherry  shrimps.
 Algae  wafers  sometimes  leave  a  bit  f  oil  on  the  surface,that  could  be  the  problem.
 Also  if  there  are  not  enough  hiding  spaces,they  will  get  stressed  and  loose  their  color(like  most  fishes).
 I  am  no  expert  but  this  is  my  limited  experiece  with  CRS....
 Posting  a  pic  may  help  mayb..

Best  of  luck  Thumb Up
Rony11
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:02 pm Post subject: Re: help - CRS losing colour Reply with quote

Hope  u've  read  a  lot  abt.CRS  before  deciding  on  them  because  I  have  a  few  questions  n  I  have  CRS   
 1.  What  grade  did  u  buy  ?  How  many  ?  Any  deaths  ?  Any  berried  females/offsprings  ?  
 2.  How  long  did  u  cycle  your  tank  ?  Does  your  tank  have  any  fish  ?  
 3.  What  substrate  ?   Did  u  add  any  minerals  under  your  substrate  bef.cycling  the  tank  ?  
 4.  What  water  do  u  use  ?  Reverse  Osmosis  or  tap  water  with  anti-chlorine  ?   
 5.  How  often  do  u  change  the  tank  water  ?  What  percent  ?  Do  u  add  any  minerals  (liquid/powder)  ?
 6.  What  r  your  tank  parameters  ?  PH  KH  GH  Nitrate  Nitrite  
 7.  What  is  your  tank  temperature  ?  Does  it  fluctuate  ?   Do  u  use  a  fan  to  keep  the  crs  cool  ?  
 Crs  prefer  slighty  acidic  water  and  r  at  their  best  at  temp.23  degrees  
 Answer  my  questions  n  I'll  try  to  help  u  because  all  these  questions  r  imp.n  keys  to  successful  CRS  breeding.

A  tip:   Crs  breeders  use  min.  1  kind  of  mineral  to  get  that  white   (binaca  smile)  color  on  CRS.
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:39 pm Post subject: Re: help - CRS losing colour Reply with quote

I  think  its  basically  due  to  the  water  quality.  A  good  water  quality  has  to  be  maintained  to  have  good  color  for  CRS
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:18 pm Post subject: Re: help - CRS losing colour Reply with quote

You  could  try  boosting  their  calcium  intake  by  feeding  blanched  spinach
sawantamey
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:34 pm Post subject: Re: help - CRS losing colour Reply with quote

ashwin1224  wrote  (View  Post):                
What  are  your  feeding  them?
 They  dont  each  much,like  cherry  shrimps.
 Algae  wafers  sometimes  leave  a  bit  f  oil  on  the  surface,that  could  be  the  problem.
 Also  if  there  are  not  enough  hiding  spaces,they  will  get  stressed  and  loose  their  color(like  most  fishes).
 I  am  no  expert  but  this  is  my  limited  experiece  with  CRS....
 Posting  a  pic  may  help  mayb..

Best  of  luck  Thumb Up                

Sorry  for  late  reply  ...
 i  dont  feed  them  algae  wafers  but  feed  them  with  micro  pellets  and  the  normal  pellets.  The  CRS  have  less  hiding  space  so  might  be  the  a  slow  coloration  loss.  But  the  they  kept  along  with  RCS.  i  dont  think  that  should  be  the  problem
sawantamey
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:05 am Post subject: Re: help - CRS losing colour Reply with quote

@Rony11-

Hope  u've  read  a  lot  abt.CRS  before  deciding  on  them  because  I  have  a  few  questions  n  I  have  CRS  
 Yes  i  read  a  lot  before  buying  them  

1.  What  grade  did  u  buy  ?  How  many  ?  Any  deaths  ?  Any  berried  females/offsprings  ?
 ->  A  grade.  total  6  pieces  and  total  survived  till  date  is  3  pieces

2.  How  long  did  u  cycle  your  tank  ?  Does  your  tank  have  any  fish  ?
 ->for  atleast  3  days.  no  fish  at  all.  It  is  a  shrimp  only  tank.

3.  What  substrate  ?   Did  u  add  any  minerals  under  your  substrate  bef.cycling  the  tank  ?
 ->  River  sand  what  we  et  in  the  LFS.  No  minerals  added  until  now  or  before  cycling  of  the  tank.

4.  What  water  do  u  use  ?  Reverse  Osmosis  or  tap  water  with  anti-chlorine  ?   
 ->  tap  water  without  antichlorine

5.  How  often  do  u  change  the  tank  water  ?  What  percent  ?  Do  u  add  any  minerals  (liquid/powder)  ?
 ->  50%  weekly  without  addition  of  minerals

6.  What  r  your  tank  parameters  ?  PH  KH  GH  Nitrate  Nitrite
 ->  never  tested.  dont  really  have  a  test  kit.

7.  What  is  your  tank  temperature  ?  Does  it  fluctuate  ?   Do  u  use  a  fan  to  keep  the  crs  cool  ?
 ->  it  was  between  28-30c  in  summer  time  (i.e.  2  weeks  back)  during  this  i  lost  my  3  CRS.  but  now  the  monsoon  recorded  tempertaure  is  26-27c

Crs  prefer  slighty  acidic  water  and  r  at  their  best  at  temp.23  degrees
 Answer  my  questions  n  I'll  try  to  help  u  because  all  these  questions  r  imp.n  keys  to  successful  CRS  breeding.

A  tip:   Crs  breeders  use  min.  1  kind  of  mineral  to  get  that  white   (binaca  smile)  color  on  CRS.
 What  is  the  name  of  the  mineral  ???
 [s]
sawantamey
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:06 am Post subject: Re: help - CRS losing colour Reply with quote

josyjames  wrote  (View  Post):                
I  think  its  basically  due  to  the  water  quality.  A  good  water  quality  has  to  be  maintained  to  have  good  color  for  CRS                

i  do  maintain  the  water  quality  by  50%  water  change  on  weekly  basis.  Tap  water  is  used  in  all  of  my  tank.
sawantamey
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:08 am Post subject: Re: help - CRS losing colour Reply with quote

Mortis  wrote  (View  Post):                
You  could  try  boosting  their  calcium  intake  by  feeding  blanched  spinach                

Actually  wanted  to  try  blanched  spinach  but  was  worried  that  the  water  quality  would  be  affected  due  to  the  green  colour  of  it  ....
coldfear39
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:09 am Post subject: Re: help - CRS losing colour Reply with quote

Hi  Amey,

Here  are  some  of  the  stuffs-
 1.  Change  the  soil  to  something  dark  colored  I  would  prefer  ADA  Amazonia  2  because  it  also  helps  in  buffering  the  ph,  which  is  essential  for  crs.  And  ph,  tds  are  important  for  crs.

2.  Your  temperature  is  on  the  higher  side  possible  then  bring  it  down  to  24,  the  less  the  better,  more  than  25  you  are  bound  to  loose  some  offspring  and  some  color.
 Check  this  it  will  help  Information

3.  What  filtration  system  you  are  using  and  also  what  is  the  light  you  are  using?  A  good  filtration  system  and  a  65000k  helps  bringing  out  much  more  color  of  the  cuties.

4.  Get  yourself  a  test  kit  because  crs  are  picky  about  their  water  parameters  and  not  the  same  as  rcs  a  drop  in  the  water  quality  will  let  everything  go  for  a  toss?

5.  Why  50%  wc  per  week?  I  personally  do  around  10-20%  in  every  15  days  and  they  are  behaving  great.

6.  To  get  good  offsprings  and  good  color  mix  their  diet  a  lot  feed  them  algae  wafers,  ada  bee  shrimp,  if  you  can  then  mosura.  And  about  blanched  spinach  is  good  but  remove  the  left  overs  after  2  hours  because  it  will  start  degrading  the  water  quality  and  also  it  requires  wc,  so  I  never  did  that.

7.  And  also  I  feel  their  is  no  mineral  which  can  enhance  the  white  color  of  crs,  if  that  kind  of  stuff  would  have  been  there  all  would  have  been  SS+  grades  Smile  You  can  improve  the  whiteness  through  lot  of  hard  work  and  also  through  selective  breeding     

Hope  this  helps
Rony11
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:19 am Post subject: Re: help - CRS losing colour Reply with quote

Abhishek  has  said  everything  in  his  reply   Thumb Up   I  would  only  add  a  few  things  to  that
 1.A  proper  tank  is  cycled  atleast  for  a  month.  Personally  I  cycle  tank  for  3  weeks  with  a  tiny  amount  of  fish  food  I  do  not  waste  money  on  cycling  enhancers  (which  usually  contain  ammonia)  Change  tank  water  30%  thrice  in  the  1st  week.
 2nd,  3rd  week  change  water  twice  30%   Check  the  parameters  add  a  fish  like  guppy/molly/platy  to  cycle.  Check  the  tank  parameters  once  again  after  a  week  n   if  the  tank  is  ready  remove  the  fish  n  add  shrimps.  
 2.It  is  imp.to  use  anti  chlorine  esp.with  expensive  n  sensitive  shrimps  like  CRS.
 3.Try  to  add  a  fan  to  lower  the  temp.  under  26  degrees.
 Avoid  starting  a  CRS  shrimp  tank  during  summer  wait  for  cooler/winter  season.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Invertebrates All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: