57. Guest
58. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,784

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Plant collection trip-Guhagar
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Plant collection trip-Guhagar
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fish Collection and Habitat Study Trips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alpha91

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:54 am Post subject: Plant collection trip-Guhagar Reply with quote

Hi  all,  
 posting  in  this  section  after  a  long  time!  Feels  good.  
 Me,  Akshay  Khare  and  another  2  friends  had  been  on  a  trip  to  Guhagar,  which  is  located  about  an  hours  drive  from  Chiplun.  The  primary  aim  of  the  trip  was  to  collect  cryptocoryne  cognata  and  hygrophilla  pinnatifida  Akshay  had  observed  and  collected  these  2  species  from  around  the  region  consistently  over  the  past  2  years.  And  after  hearing  him  praising  Guhagar  on  another  trip  to  Anshi,  i  made  up  my  mind  to  go  there  once!  
 We  left  Pune  at  5  in  the  evening,  aiming  to  touch  Guhagar  around  9.30-9.45..  However,  owing  to  some  miscommunication  and  backtracking,  and  some  midway  fishing  in  the  Koyna  river,  we  finally  reached  at  11  in  the  night.

Enroute,  fishing  at  Koyna.  

The  catch

puntius  ticto  and  a  lone  puntius  sahyadrensis

We  went  to  the  hygrophilla  spot  the  next  day,  however  the  water  levels  were  too  high,  and  the  slippery  rocks  had  made  things  too  treacherous,  so  we  decided  against  exploring  that  part  of  the  stream  further.

The  exact  spot  was  a  few  metres  downstream  from  this  bridge.

This  side  of  the  bridge,  had  the  river  banks  accessible.  We  caught  caridinia  sp.,schistura  denisonii?  (no  pics  yet),  aplocheilus  lineatus  here.

The  guys  collecting.
rimpel
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:43 am Post subject: Re: Plant collection trip-Guhagar Reply with quote

Nice  Trip
BPLDUDE
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:03 pm Post subject: Re: Plant collection trip-Guhagar Reply with quote

nice  nice  nice...i  like  your  trip....
AmitW
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:08 pm Post subject: Re: Plant collection trip-Guhagar Reply with quote

Looks  very  nice  :)

When  was  this  trip  done?  The  relentless  rains  in  the  konkan  region  for  the  past  few  days  will  not  make  anything  possible  for  any  trips  in  near  future  I  guess.  The  Inundation  shown  on  TV  looks  bad  :(

-Amit
vidhyasagar99
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:39 pm Post subject: Re: Plant collection trip-Guhagar Reply with quote

good  ,  i  wish  there  was  tiger  ,lion  ,leopard  cubs  collection  trip  also
Deepak267
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:06 pm Post subject: Re: Plant collection trip-Guhagar Reply with quote

looks  good..  

more  picture  please....

just  wondering,  why  did  you  decide  to  go  at  night?

Deepak
hrishi007
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:57 pm Post subject: Re: Plant collection trip-Guhagar Reply with quote

Must  have  been  an  awesome  trip.I  miss  these  trips  so  bad.No  one  here  plans  anything  of  this  sort   Sad
Sankaranns
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:45 pm Post subject: Re: Plant collection trip-Guhagar Reply with quote

good  trip  mod...  Thumb Up
alpha91

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:12 pm Post subject: Re: Plant collection trip-Guhagar Reply with quote

The  next  day,  we  decided  to  explore  some  more  streams  around  Guhagar.  We  were  yet  to  see  c.cognata
 The  c.cognata  biotope.  This  is  otherwise  a  narrow  stream,  but  with  a  very  high  rate  of  flow.  Akshay,  who  has  been  able  to  maintain  and  grow  c.cognata  in  his  aquarium,  said  they  need  high  flow  to  survive  underwater.

Me  and  Akshay  collecting  some  of  the  crypts.

After  20  minutes  of  carefully  digging  the  laterite  substrate  with  our  fingers,  we  managed  to  get  only  4  plants.

We  then  drove  to  another  stream  where  Akshay  had  not  explored  earlier.  We  found  more  and  bigger  cryptocoryne  cognata  here  along  with  a  grass  like  plant.  We  havent  been  able  to  ID  it  yet.  Need  help  with  that.

The  grass

Had  a  minor  'incident'  later,  when  i  jumped  into  a  well  to  catch  a  frog.  Had  to  be  fished  out  later  with  a  rope  and  a  ladder,  owing  to  my  excellent  climbing  skills  and  supreme  upper  body  strength.

Another  random  pic  taken  enroute.

saw   garra  fry  here.

Another  plant  observed  near  the  schistura  denisonii  spot.
 IDd  as  centella  asiatica

Thats  all  for  now!
 I  am  eagerly  looking  forward  to  explore  Guhagar  more,  post  monsoon.  Shankar,  Marcus,  the  p.sahydarensis  await!   Thumb Up
Marc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:32 pm Post subject: Re: Plant collection trip-Guhagar Reply with quote

Nice  trip  you  guys  had   Thumb Up  am  happy  the  'Well'  episode  ended  well   Smile  

Nice  photos  and  narration....the  P.  sahyadriensis  is  something  worth  going  back  for.
kafeel_salman
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:06 pm Post subject: Re: Plant collection trip-Guhagar Reply with quote

nice  trip.  hope  you  guys  enjoyed  a  lot   Smile
random2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:08 am Post subject: Re: Plant collection trip-Guhagar Reply with quote

Looks  like  a  wet  and  fun  trip  :)

hrishi007  wrote  (View  Post):                
Must  have  been  an  awesome  trip.I  miss  these  trips  so  bad.No  one  here  plans  anything  of  this  sort   Sad                

Hrishi,

Many  people  here  would  kill  to  be  living  around  your  location.  

You  dont  have  to  wait  for  someone  to  plan.
alpha91

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:55 am Post subject: Re: Plant collection trip-Guhagar Reply with quote

Thanks  rimpel,Maaz,Amit,Deepak,hrishi,Sankaranns,Marc,Salman,Deepak

Amit-  We  went  there  over  the  9th  and  10th  weekend.  I  dont  think  any  trip  would  be  feasible,  till  January-February

Deepak267-  We  did  not  'decide',  we  happened  to  reach  there  late  night!  Anyway,  catching  the  puntius  in  the  dark  was  much  much  easier  than  in  the  day.  However  the  downside  was,  that  we  could  not  see  what  we  were  trying  to  catch.  

Hrishi-  I  second  Deepak.  You  live  in  a  region  that  is  blessed  with  tonnes  of  aquatic  treasures!  Get  out  there  on  the  field  already!  Just  carry  a  net  with  you  whenever  you  go  for  an  outing  with  your  friends/family  (Tread  with  caution  if  you  are  married)  Try  to  collect  in  smallish  water  bodies,  or  atleast  observe  the  fish  there.  Im  sure  the  proper  trips  will  follow  soon!

Marc-  Alls  well  that  ends  well  Razz
 Another  aquatic  friend  spotted  on  the  trip!  

hrishi007
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:02 am Post subject: Re: Plant collection trip-Guhagar Reply with quote

Yes  Subhankar  and  Deepak.You  are  correct.Actually  right  now  i  am  in  Kolkata.Aint  got  many  friends  out  here.Got  to  be  more  active  on  KAC.
 Anyways,  i  am  dying  to  go  back  to  my  hometown  Guwahati.A  lot  of  fishy  trips  are  still  pending.
 And  about  the  married  stuff,  i  am  single  right  now  so  trying  hard  to  find  a  girl  who  would  agree  to  share  my  fishy  madness   Chuckle

Last edited by hrishi007 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Khare
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:29 am Post subject: Re: Plant collection trip-Guhagar Reply with quote

(  Lissemys  punctata  )  The  soft  shelled  turtle  ,  his/her  nails  were  damn  sharp  used  to  hurt  a  lot  when  picked  up.  Smile
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fish Collection and Habitat Study Trips All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: