191. Guest
192. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,716

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - How to keep Discus in planted tank.
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

How to keep Discus in planted tank.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Discuss Discus
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HappyPet
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:33 am Post subject: How to keep Discus in planted tank. Reply with quote

Hello  Friends,
 Newbie  here.  I  want  to  keep  the  discus  in  planted  thank  but  not  sure  how  it’ll  work.  The  scenario  is  
            -  I've  one  planted  community  tank  and  the  one  bare  bottom  discus  tank.  

-I  use  to  do  the  WC  once  in  month  (sometimes  even  more  than  that)  for  Planted   tank  and  every  alternate  day  for  Discus  tank.  

I  am  not  sure  how  to  keep  the  water  quality  upto  mark  for  Discus  in  a  planted  set-up

The  problems  I  might  face  -  
                (1)  Feeding  –  I  use  to  put  a  bio  gold  in  tank  and  fish  eats  from  bottom.  After  30  mins,  I  clean  the  bottom  of  tank  by  siphoning.  No  sure  how  this  will  work  in  planted  tank.  
                  (2)  Frequency  of  water  changes  and  techniques  -  How  to  maintain  water  chemistry  even  with  infrequent  WCs.  Frequent  WCs  might  disturb  the  plants  setup.

I  would  request  the  members  to  guide  me  on  this.

Thanks  …..
PRAVU
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:44 pm Post subject: Re: How to keep Discus in planted tank. Reply with quote

Not  advised.
ruchit
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:48 pm Post subject: Re: How to keep Discus in planted tank. Reply with quote

Hi  keeping  Discus  in  a  planted  tank  is  a  great  debate,  there  are  few  old  threads  on  this  topic  you  can  go  through  them.
hrishi007
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:59 pm Post subject: Re: How to keep Discus in planted tank. Reply with quote

It  is  indeed  a  debate.
 Go  through  this  thread  of  mine
 http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=23291
 Discuss  in  planted  tanks  are  my  favourites  too   Smile
HappyPet
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:49 pm Post subject: Re: How to keep Discus in planted tank. Reply with quote

hrishi007  wrote  (View  Post):                
It  is  indeed  a  debate.
 Go  through  this  thread  of  mine
 http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=23291
 Discuss  in  planted  tanks  are  my  favourites  too   Smile                

wow...it's  very  nice  thread  Hrishi.  The  piece  of  advices  by  Champs  of  this  forum  is  just  too  good.  
 After  going  through  ....I  am  interested  in  knowing  your  experiences…  What  did  you  prefer  after  it?   BB  or  planted  tank-  
 And  how  Sandeep  Nayay’s  setup  is  going  ?
hrishi007
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:59 pm Post subject: Re: How to keep Discus in planted tank. Reply with quote

I  havent  tried  my  hand  in  discuss  you  see,  so  i  cant  really  comment  on  terms  of  which  is  better  for  the  fish  itself.
 I  think  they  look  best  in  planted  tanks,  but  keeping  them  healthy  in  such  a  environment  would  be  tricky,so  i  guess  most  of  the  hobbyst  go  with  BB  tanks.
 My  ideal  discuss  setup  would  be  a  thin  layer  of  substrate  with  some  driftwoods,ferns  and  nanas   Very Happy
SumanG
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:20 pm Post subject: Re: How to keep Discus in planted tank. Reply with quote

Hello  Friend,

I  understand  the  urge  of  watching  our  Discus  swim  and  live  with  plants.  The  sight  is  beyond  doubt  attractive  but  by  now  you  might  have  already  been  aware  of  the  negative  aspects.

I  have  been  keeping  my  Discuses  with  plants  rooted  in  clay  pots  and  the  plant  density  is  sparse  (5  pots  in  my  4  footer).   As  my  foremost  focus  is  on  the  Discus,  my  plants  grow  at  very  slow  rate  –  Amazon  Sword  sprouts  4-5  leaves  in  6  months.
 Nevertheless  this  arrangement  has  satisfied  my  ‘Discus  in  Planted  Tank’  reverie  and  did  not  hinder  any  of  the  Discus  maintenance  activity  example:  Daily  WC,  temperature  at  29  C  etc.

Hope  this  helps.

Regards,
 Suman
HappyPet
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:10 pm Post subject: Re: How to keep Discus in planted tank. Reply with quote

SumanG  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hello  Friend,

I  understand  the  urge  of  watching  our  Discus  swim  and  live  with  plants.  The  sight  is  beyond  doubt  attractive  but  by  now  you  might  have  already  been  aware  of  the  negative  aspects.

I  have  been  keeping  my  Discuses  with  plants  rooted  in  clay  pots  and  the  plant  density  is  sparse  (5  pots  in  my  4  footer).   As  my  foremost  focus  is  on  the  Discus,  my  plants  grow  at  very  slow  rate  –  Amazon  Sword  sprouts  4-5  leaves  in  6  months.
 Nevertheless  this  arrangement  has  satisfied  my  ‘Discus  in  Planted  Tank’  reverie  and  did  not  hinder  any  of  the  Discus  maintenance  activity  example:  Daily  WC,  temperature  at  29  C  etc.

Hope  this  helps.

Regards,
 Suman                

That's  great  idea...  But  does  it  looks  as  attractive  as  planted  tank  ?  
 Secondly,  how  about  lighting  and  fertilisers  ?
govindsj
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:14 pm Post subject: Re: How to keep Discus in planted tank. Reply with quote

HI!
      Its  been  a  topic  of  contention  debated  several  times.  It  would  be  interesting  to  see  how  this  thread  ends.  I  would  vote  for  a  discus  in  planted  tank.  

Govindsj
anoopc
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:10 pm Post subject: Re: How to keep Discus in planted tank. Reply with quote

Ok-  i  think  moi  has  given  my  two  cents  in  the  other  thread  on  this  topic.  

I  can  give  few  pointers  as  to  how  i  do  it  for  few  of  the  queries  you  have  raised  (disclaimer-  these  are  solely  my  views  and  i  am,  by  no  means,  a  Discuss  expert  :)

1.  WC  without  disturbing  the  plants-  i  have  moulded  tanks  with  filters  on  top-  i  use  a  hose  to  get  water  into  the  outlet  on  top,  so  water  comes  out  evenly-  if  you  dont  have  a  water  outlet  on  top  whereby  you  can  release  water  slowly,  you  can  try  and  attach  the  hose  to  the  tank  side  and  release  the  water  to  a  clean  plastic  surface  which  will  prevent  water  going  in  as  a  jet-  slow  release  is  the  key  here.

2.  Feeding-  this  is  real  tricky  till  the  discus  you  keep  adjusts  to  the  set  up-  once  they  know  where  the  food  would  be,  they  will  eat  it  from  the  surface  of  leaves  itself-  make  sure  you  have  plants  with  broad  leaves.  Slow  sinking  food  is  also  important.
SumanG
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:11 pm Post subject: Re: How to keep Discus in planted tank. Reply with quote

Hi  HappyPet,   (Pls.  let  us  know  how  do  we  address  you   Smile  )

Quote:                
But  does  it  looks  as  attractive  as  planted  tank  ?  
 Secondly,  how  about  lighting  and  fertilisers  ?                

For  your  first  question:  PSB  the  pic  of  my  4  ft  tank  -  a  picture  is  worth  a  thousand  words!
 For  the  second,  I  do  not  use  any  fertilizers,  just  some  small,  red,  light-weight,  brick  type  pebbles  which  the  LFS  told  to  be  good  for  plants   Confused  and  they  are  covered  with  large  pebbles  so  that  the  discus  does  not  eat  them  thinking  TetraBits   Chuckle  

This  pic  below  was  taken  while  they  were  in  a  breeding  tank  last  month.

Hope  this  helps  to  some  extent.

Regards,
 Suman
caprismart
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:21 pm Post subject: Re: How to keep Discus in planted tank. Reply with quote

Smile  

I  took  a  risk  and  tried  this.  11  Months  Old.  

Click  the  below  link  to  access  the  thread  which  has  the  Video.

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=25593
HappyPet
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:44 pm Post subject: Re: How to keep Discus in planted tank. Reply with quote

anoopc  wrote  (View  Post):                
Ok-  i  think  moi  has  given  my  two  cents  in  the  other  thread  on  this  topic.  

I  can  give  few  pointers  as  to  how  i  do  it  for  few  of  the  queries  you  have  raised  (disclaimer-  these  are  solely  my  views  and  i  am,  by  no  means,  a  Discuss  expert  :)

1.  WC  without  disturbing  the  plants-  i  have  moulded  tanks  with  filters  on  top-  i  use  a  hose  to  get  water  into  the  outlet  on  top,  so  water  comes  out  evenly-  if  you  dont  have  a  water  outlet  on  top  whereby  you  can  release  water  slowly,  you  can  try  and  attach  the  hose  to  the  tank  side  and  release  the  water  to  a  clean  plastic  surface  which  will  prevent  water  going  in  as  a  jet-  slow  release  is  the  key  here.

2.  Feeding-  this  is  real  tricky  till  the  discus  you  keep  adjusts  to  the  set  up-  once  they  know  where  the  food  would  be,  they  will  eat  it  from  the  surface  of  leaves  itself-  make  sure  you  have  plants  with  broad  leaves.  Slow  sinking  food  is  also  important.                
  M  I  request  you  to  share  the  pic  for  point  no.  1  pls  ?

Regards...shantanu
HappyPet
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:53 pm Post subject: Re: How to keep Discus in planted tank. Reply with quote

[quote="SumanG";p="256875"]Hi  HappyPet,   (Pls.  let  us  know  how  do  we  address  you   Smile  )

I  am  Shantanu....I  allow  my  daughter  to  create  the  profile…&  that’y  the  disaster.

and  yes...'a  picture  is  worth  a  thousand  words!'...the  view  is  superb...it's  making  me  tempt  to  try  this  out...hope  fish  have  no  tough  time  at  WC  due  to  movement  of  clay  pots.

Lighting  ???  6  Hrs  is  fine  ?
caprismart
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:07 am Post subject: Re: How to keep Discus in planted tank. Reply with quote

On  Weekly  WC....they  are  just  happy  to  even  come  and  cross  by  your  fingers!

i'm  on  4hrs  lighting....
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Discuss Discus All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: