214. Guest
215. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,825

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Trypanocide In Tranquebar
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Trypanocide In Tranquebar
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fish Collection and Habitat Study Trips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shovelnose

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:09 am Post subject: Trypanocide In Tranquebar Reply with quote

lly!!!!  A  nx  ken.  as  en  n  y  nda  or  oo  long.  wo  ars  f  ing  as  ally  ome  o  tion.  (ot  rally  f  urse.  e  'nt  ect  ny  uits.)

No  need  to  get  alarmed  here.  I  have  always  wanted  to  start  a  post  with  only  the  end  of  words.  I  am  pretty  sure  if  you  put  those  letters  together,  you  will  arrive  at  the  name  of  some  character  from  one  of  those  Japanese  anime  cartoons.

I  will  try  to  restore  normalcy  here.  But  I  do  warn  you,  these  weird  wants  are  getting  worse  by  the  hour  and  might  relapse  anytime  in  the  middle  of  the  post.

Finally!!!  A  jinx  broken.  Has  been  in  my  agenda  for  too  long.  Two  years  of  waiting  has  finally  come  to  fruition.  Not  literally  of  course.  We  did'nt  collect  any  fruits.

Tranquebar  lies  in  the  southern  part  of  Tamil  Nadu  and  is  a  former  Danish  settlement.  More  on  Tranquebar  here  :  Tranquebar

From  a  hobbyist  point  of  view,  Tranquebar  is  a  really  awesome  place  to  collect  in.  It  happens  to  be  the  type  locality  of  Ompok  bimaculatus,  Neotropius  athernoides  and  Mystus  vittatus.  Plus  a  few  Gobies  too.

Oh  and  I  realise  some  of  you  might  be  puzzled  by  the  topic  name.  It  is  just  a  small  part  of  the  extremely  obscure,silly,arbit,abrupt,  illogical,  unexpected,absurd  and  sub-moronic  things  I  have  been  wanting  to  do  of  late.

Other  ideas  include  :  

Point  at  someone  and  shout  "Your  one  of  them!"  Run  and  pretend  to  trip.  Crawl  away  slowly

and

Ride  in  a  cold  air  balloon.

So  to  clarify  things,  Trypanocide   means  killing  of  trypanosomes  which  we  never  did.  Heck  we  don't  even  know  what  they  are.  

Getting  back  to  fish  now,  the  team  that  went  on  the  trip  included

Bala
 Shankar
 Rajeshwaran
 Krishna  (from  Villupuram)
 Dick  Cheney  and  
 Me

The  rest  of  the  team  (excluding  Cheney)  left  on  Friday  (29th  July  '11)  evening  and  reached  Karaikal  by  around  midnight.  I  had  an  an  exam  on  Friday  and  hence  could  leave  only  on  Friday  night.   I  couldn't  get  tickets  for  an  AC  bus  so  had  to  go  by  a  normal  crappy  run  down  pile  of  junk  which  was  probably  made  in  France  during  the  French  Revolution.

No  window  seats  either.  That  is  until  I  told  my  neighbour  how  sick  I  could  get  and  could  regurgitate  even  last  weeks  oatmeal.  I  have  never  seen  a  man  move  faster.

Two  uneventful  journey's  later,  we  met  at  around  6  am  on  Saturday.  Accommodation  was  arranged  by  Krishna  in  the  Government  
 quarters  in  Karaikal.  Very  cheap  but  very  comfy  too.  He  had  also  arranged  for  a  guide  to  help  us  locate  spots  feasible  for  collecting.

A  heavy  breakfast  later,  we  followed  our  guide  onto  the  first  spot.  

It  was  between  Karaikal  and  Tranquebar  and  also  somewhere  between  a  river  and  a  cess  pool.  Only  for  the  truly  adventurous  or  those  who  have  had  their  TB  shots.

We  sighted  a  Goby  and  and  Rajeshwaran  managed  to  collect  a  catfish  from  a  small  pool  of  water.  This  pool  had  hundreds  of  these  cats  swimming  around.  These  were  'bout  half  an  inch  in  legth  and  looked  really  emaciated.  Bought  back  a  few  of  'em  One  is  holding  on  strongly  now.  These  appear  quite  aggressive  as  they  were  fighting  over  space  at  this  size  itself.  

It  could  be  an  Arius  as  it  seems  to  have  only  3  pairs  of  barbels  but  I  wouldn't  stick  to  that  ID  and  wait  until  it  grows  a  bit  more.

A  bad  pic  to  show  size.  This  one  has  grown  to  close  to  an  inch  now.

We  then  headed  to  the  second  spot  which  was  much  cleaner.  

The  second  spot.

And  the  first  few  swipes  bought  out  a  Mystus  Sp!!!!!!  These  are  currently  with  Shankar.  All  of  'em  were  betwen  an  inch  and  two  in  length  (TL).  Other  fish  collected  from  here  were  an  Aplocheilus  Sp,  Anabas  testudineus,  Pseudosphromenus  cupanus  and  a  few  crabs.

Pic  :  Krishna

I  am  sure  everyone  loves  pics  like  these.  A  bunch  of  village  kids  posing  with  the  cliche  hand  behind  the  head.  "Oh  look  at  the  village  kids.  Don't  they  look  so  rusty.  I  have  always  wanted  to  take  pics  with  'em!!!!!!".  Well  stop  liking  it  this  instant!!!!!  This  asinine  bunch  of  morons  ran  over  a  huge  crab  we  collected  with  their  cycle  before  we  could  stop  'em.

A  few  kilometres  down,  we  tried  collecting  again  and  landed  a  few  Gobies.  There  were  come  other  fish  but  only  Gobies  were  collected  here.   

Crab  from  this  spot.

We  then  decided  to  head  to  Tranquebar  directly.  The  guide  suggested  we  try  at  a  place  where  the  Cauvery  runs  into  the  sea.  

Home  of  the  Mystus  vittatus.  Anyone  notice  the  spelling  mistake???

This  spot  was  a  few  hundred  metres  away  from  the  beach.  En  route  we  saw  a  small  drying  pool  with  a  lot  of  fish  trying  to  swim  out.  

ID  needed.

ID  needed.

Whatever  was  left  of  the  Cauvery.

Bala  and  Rajeshwaran  collecting.

Goby  from  this  spot.  ID  needed.

Aplocheilus  Sp

Fishing  Eagle???  

A  hermit  crab.

The  Danish  Fort  /  Museum

Translation  anyone???

It  was  3  pm  by  the  time  we  were  done  with  this  spot  and  we  were  feeling  a  bit  peckish.

Bala,Shankar  and  Krishna  wanted  to  eat  vegetarian  food  while  Rajeshwaran  and  me  wanted  meaty  food.  We  split  for  lunch.

Not  the  five  start  kind  but  suited  our  expectations  perfectly.

Bon  appetit.

And  Rajeshwaran  went  on  a  rampage  here.  

No  eggs,  maida,  chicken  left  in  the  town.  I  hear  the  cook  and  the  waiter  have  developed  a  severe  and  strange  case  of  tennis  elbow   and  an  aberrant  form  of  carnophobia.  

Looks  like  he  has  discovered  another  version  of  the  RPP  (Rosa  Poo  Prota)  here.  Seemed  to  like  it.  He  kept  talking  'bout  this  place  in  Madurai  where  they  make  thousands  of  these  a  day  and  they  still  manage  to  run  out.  I  am  sure  he  will  elaborate  soon.

Found  a  small  fish  market  near  where  we  ate.

Secutor  ruconius

ID  needed.

ID  needed.

ID  needed.

The  South  Indian  version  of  a  Cuban  cigar.  Rolled  in  a  tobacco  leaf.  If  these  ever  came  out  in  packs,  the  warning  on  the  cover  should  be  pics  from  World  War  II  or  the  Balkans  War.  Truly  hard  hitting.

W  th  dec  t  he  t  mo  fre  wa  sp.  Th  fi  tw  we  no  poss  t  coll  i  a  th  riv  w  runn  i  spa.

Sacre  bleu!!!  There  I  go  again.  The  beginning  of  words  this  time!!!!!  This  trait  is  becoming  rather  uncontrollable  now.

We  then  decided  to  head  to  more  fresh  water  spots.   The  first  two  were  not  possible  to  collect  in  as  the  river  was  running  in  spate.

The  third  one  was  ok  but  the  water  here  was  too  deep  to  collect  in.

Pic   :  Krishna

The  spot.

A  Mantis.

We  collected  Cardinia  gracilirostris,  an  Aplocheilus  Sp  and  Etroplus  maclatus  here.  Not  really  a  joyous  spot  for  diversity  but  our  guide  seemed  to  running  outta  spots  while  the  Sun  God  Rah  was  busy  pulling  his  chariot  across  the  sky  and  Dick  Cheney  was  nowhere  to  be  seen.

But  then  you  know  what  the  old  saying  'bout  good  luck  right???

"It  is  considered  good  luck  for  a  bride  to  meet  a  lamb,  a  dove,  a  spider,  a  policeman,  a  clergyman,  a  doctor,  a  blind  man  or  a  black  cat  on  her  way  to  her  wedding  ceremony.  "

While  I  realise  this  has  nothing  to  do  with  the  write  up,  I  couldn't  resist  but  post  this!!  Trust  me.  I  do  not  have  the  time  or  the  energy  to  come  up  with  something  as  outrageous  as  this.  This  is  a  real  belief!!!!!!

We  were  neither  brides  nor  did  we  sight  any  of  the  aforementioned  items  but  the  next  spot  did  turn  out  to  be  a  god  damn  gold  mine!!!!!!!   

The  spot.

The  catch!!!!!!

Every  swipe  bought  out  atleast  2  or  3  Mystus  Sp.  There  is  M.vittatus  and  possible  another  species  here  too.  Some  do  have  a  comparatively  larger  adipose  but  at  the  risk  of  repeating  myself,  its  best  to  wait  till  they  grow  up  a  bit  to  confirm  ID's.

In  'bout  twenty  minutes  of  collecting,  we  had  'bout  40  specimens!!!!!  If  this  is  not  a  gold  mine,  then  nothing  is!!!!

Selected  a  dozen  healthy  and  decent  sized  ones  to  bring  back.  The  biggest  one  is  just  over  2  inches  in  length.  They  are  in  a  grow  out  tank  now.  Being  fed  FBS,Tetra  Bits,  Hikari  Carnivore,JBL  Novo  Bits  and  ANS  Sting  Ray  food.  

Rajeshwaran  sighted  a  large  fish,ran  to  collect  it,collected  it,  lifted  it  and  killed  it.  

The  fish  lasted  a  FEW  SECONDS  out  of  the  water.  One  lift  and  off  it  went  to  push  the  proverbial  daisies.  

Hyphoramphus  xanthopterus.  Had  a  lovely  yellow  tinged  caudal.

Other  than  this,  we  collected  some  Puntius  sarana  and  Puntius  sophore  from  this  spot  too.

It  was  5pm  by  the  time  we  were  done  with  this  spot  and  we  decided  to  hit  one  more  spot  before  we  wound  up  for  the  day.

Now  here  is  a  small  poem  'bout  bad  luck.  Again,  I  did  not  come  up  with  it.

"Monday  for  health,
 Tuesday  for  wealth,
 Wednesday's  the  best  of  all.
 Thursday  brings  crosses,
 And  Friday  losses,
 But  Saturday  -  no  luck  at  all.  "

I  should  say  the  number  of  Mystus  we  collected  sorta  disproves  the  above  whatever-it-is.

The  final  spot  was  a  well  shaded  part  of  the  river  with  a  decent  flow.  This  was  the  first  time  we  encountered  any  flow  during  the  trip.  The  substrate  was  primarily  sand  with  plants.

The  spot.

Puntius  sophore  (???).  Unable  to  make  out  because  of  the  angle.  Anyone  ID???

A  lovely  Etroplus  maculatus.

Pseudosphromenus  cupanus

Channa  punctata

The  first  Clariid  I  have  encountered  in  the  wild!!!!!!  A  baby  Hetropneustes  fossilis.

A  few  lovely  eels  too.  About  2  inches  in  length.  Shankar  has  'em.  Maybe  he  could  post  some  pics  for  ID.  Were  a  fiery  red  in  colour.  That  s  all  I  remember  of  'em.

With  everyone  satisfied  with  the  catch,  we  decided  to  wind  up  at  6pm  and  headed  back  to  Karaikal.  Stopped  en  route  at  a  bar.  This  was  the  Union  Territory  of  Pondycherry.  The  people  pay  less  for  booze  than  most  people  in  the  country.  I  can  attribute  this  to  only  one  possible  explanation.  The  hijacking  of   liquor  trucks.

Its  insane!!!!!  The  amount  of  liquor  that  is  consumed  is  insane!!!!!  I  really  don't  know  how  they  can  tell  apart  New  Year's  from  say,   Monday  or  Tuesday.  "Oh  new  Year's,  well  that's  when  we  drink  with  hats  on".

So  I  bought  this  beer  called  8  .  That  is  it.  Its  called  8  and  is  marketed  as  Triple  Strong  Beer.  And  by  god  the  label  speaks  volumes  of  truth.  The  strongest  beer  I  have  ever  had.  Not  much  taste  wise  but  packs  a  wallop.  Only  for  the  bibulous.  

Back  in  the  room,  we  repacked  the  fish  and  left  for  dinner  at  around  8  pm.  Since  the  day  went  well,  Krishna  and  me  decided  to  go  on  a  fluid  diet  before  dinner  accompanied  by  this  :  

Dinner  for  Krishna,Rajeshwaran  and  me  was  biryani.  I  had  prawn.  Was  very  fresh  and  tasty  as  hell.  More  importantly,  Rajeshwaran  couldn't  eat  it  cos  he  is  allergic  to  it.  

There  were  some  incidents  happening  across  the  state  on  that  day.  So  we  decided  to  leave  early  Sunday  morning  and  collect  on  the  way  back.

I  had  asked  Rajeshwaran  earlier  in  the  day  if  he  wanted  hermit  crabs  as  they  were  found  aplenty  but  he  waved  'em  away  with  a  disgusted  stare.  One  phone  call  to  Massive  Quotes  Open  SOMEONE  Massive  Quotes  Close  later,  he  decided  he  wanted  atleast  ten.

So  the  first  stop  on  Sunday  morning  was  to  collect  crabs.  And  yes,  Rajeshwaran  was  all  smiles  after  they  were  safely  packed.  Never  has  anyone  packed  and  kept  those  insignificant  things  in  a  Styrofoam  box!!!!!  

The  first  spot  we  stopped  at  was  useless.  The  water  was  extremely  fast  flowing  and  very  deep  too.  The  second  spot  was  lovely.  Proved  perfect  for  collecting.

The  spot.

Bala  and  Rajeshwaran  collecting.

Mystus

Devario  malabaricus

Is  this  Puntius  sarana???

Channa  punctata

And  a  few  more  species  that  we  had  collected  on  the  previous  day.

This  was  the  only  spot  we  collected  in  and  we  headed  to  Villupuram  to  drop  Krishna  off.  Stopped  for  a  small  visit  to  his  farm.

His  Etroplus  canarensis  set  up.  I  love  it!!!  Nothing  complex.  Just  sand,rocks  and  some  wood.  The  fish  looked  happy  and  healthy  and  another  word  starting  with  H  too.  They  keep  spawning  repeatedly.

We  skipped  lunch  and  headed  straight  home.I  managed  to  reach  home  by  6  pm  richer  by  a  dozen  Mystus.

Take  Outs  :  

i)  Definitely  warrants  another  trip.  We  hardly  collected  any  brackish  water  fish.  Maybe  after  the  monsoons.  Most  of  the  spots  were  pools  of  water.

ii)  Hermit  Crabs  work  in  mysterious  ways.

iii)  Saturday  does  not  mean  bad  luck.

To  part  with,  a  recent  pic  of  the  Gastronomical  Monster.

My  favorite  animal  is  steak.
Marc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:40 am Post subject: Re: Trypanocide In Tranquebar Reply with quote

The  much  awaited  trip  report  atlast!!

Awesome  writup  as  usual.  Lotta  id'ying  to  be  done  I  guess..........lets  wait  for  others  to  start   Thumb Up
vyastk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:43 am Post subject: Re: Trypanocide In Tranquebar Reply with quote

Another  fantastic  write  up!...real  good  read  to  wind  up  a  tired  night  :)

Good  luck  with  Gobies  on  your  next  trip
Shovelnose

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:14 am Post subject: Re: Trypanocide In Tranquebar Reply with quote

Thanks  all.  

I  don't  care  'bout  the  Gobies  anymore.  Trip  mission  accomplished  for  me.  Razz
rocky2
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:58 am Post subject: Re: Trypanocide In Tranquebar Reply with quote

wonderful  trip  Smile
beta
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:28 am Post subject: Re: Trypanocide In Tranquebar Reply with quote

Fun  write  up  as  usual.
 Rosa  Poo  seems  to  have  lost  some  weight!
Yogesh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:56 am Post subject: Re: Trypanocide In Tranquebar Reply with quote

Another  wonderful  writeup!!
 Loved  reading  every  bit  of  it  alongwith  nice  pics.  Thumb Up
Bala_Kavi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:04 am Post subject: Re: Trypanocide In Tranquebar Reply with quote

As  usual  super  Report  Balaji....
hrishi007
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:32 am Post subject: Re: Trypanocide In Tranquebar Reply with quote

Wonderful  trip  Balaji.
 Btw,  did  you  catch  any  Ompok  bimaculatus?
alpha91

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:03 am Post subject: Re: Trypanocide In Tranquebar Reply with quote

Bow  Bow
 I  eagerly  look  forward  to  doing  a  trip  with  the  Chennai  team!   
 Awesome  write  up  Balaji!
ckarta
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:20 am Post subject: Re: Trypanocide In Tranquebar Reply with quote

Awesome  account  but  a  very  bad  post  to  read  in  the  when  morning  you  havent  had  any  breakfast...   Sad  
 the  fish  for  stomach  are  first  n  last  squid  n  second  one  is  mostly  mackerel.
ASSASSIN
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:25 am Post subject: Re: Trypanocide In Tranquebar Reply with quote

nice  journey...
Kaya
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:15 am Post subject: Re: Trypanocide In Tranquebar Reply with quote

That  is  seriously  some  sick  trip..  awesome..  if  you  guys  ever  come  this  side  let  me  know..  would  love  to  join..  and  btw  which  parota  shop  is  that  in  madurai?  Very Happy
Shovelnose

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:16 am Post subject: Re: Trypanocide In Tranquebar Reply with quote

Thanks  all.

beta  wrote  (View  Post):                

Rosa  Poo  seems  to  have  lost  some  weight!                

Looks  like  it.  I  guess  its  because  of  the  stop  in  water  changes  and  start  of  diaper  changes.

hrishi007  wrote  (View  Post):                

Wonderful  trip  Balaji.
 Btw,  did  you  catch  any  Ompok  bimaculatus?

Nope.

ckarta  wrote  (View  Post):                

Awesome  account  but  a  very  bad  post  to  read  in  the  when  morning  you  havent  had  any  breakfast...   Sad  
 the  fish  for  stomach  are  first  n  last  squid  n  second  one  is  mostly  mackerel.

Ha  ha.  This  place  is  heaven  for  sea  food.  Unfortunately,  we  couldn't  really  experience  it  for  want  of  time.
Kaya
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:18 am Post subject: Re: Trypanocide In Tranquebar Reply with quote

and  oh  the  punctata..  not  sure  if  you  took  them..  bloody  hell  they  bite  and  they  keep  bailing  out  all  the  time..
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fish Collection and Habitat Study Trips All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: