85. Guest
86. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 796
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 796

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,834

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Help Needed : Anubeas and ferns turning yellow
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Help Needed : Anubeas and ferns turning yellow

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nandy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:52 pm Post subject: Help Needed : Anubeas and ferns turning yellow Reply with quote

Hi  All,
             From  past  few  days  many  leaves  of  my  anubeas  and  java  ferns  are  turning  yellow  in  color.  Some  of  the  leaves  have  become  greenish  yellow  and  some  almost  yellow.Is  it  because  of  over  or  under  lighting??  OR  extra  dosage  of  Co2???
   I  went  through  the  respective  forums  but  didn't  get  the  exact  reason  and  solution.  Please  help  me!!!   Crying or Very sad  

Tank  Specs  :  
 Tank  Size  :  28  *  12  *  12
 Lighting  :  1  *  15  watts  CFL  (golden)  and  1  *  18  watts  Osrams  tube  light  (golden)  -  daily  5  hrs
 Substrate  :  contra  soil  
 Plants  :  dwarf  hair  grass,  java  moss,  christmas   moss,  pellia  subwasserstang,  java  ferns,  anubeas.
 Fishes  :  3  *  Cardinal  tetra,  7  *  galaxy  rasboras  and  a  few  red  cherry  shrimps.
 Water  Change  :  weekly  20%  (from  past  two  weeks  couldn't  do  WC)
 CO2  :  pressurized  co2  for  5  hrs  daily.

Link:   http://s1082.photobucket.com/albums/j367/anubeas/

Please  go  through  the  pics  and  suggest  me.

Thanks,
 Nandy
nandy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:17 pm Post subject: Re: Help Needed : Anubeas and ferns turning yellow Reply with quote

Guys..  sorry  for  the  poor  picture  quality.  I  had  taken  the  pics  from  my  mobile  cam.
 Kindly  suggest  me  which  fertilizer  would  be  the  best.

Thanks,
 Nandy
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:17 pm Post subject: Re: Help Needed : Anubeas and ferns turning yellow Reply with quote

A  planted  tank  needs  lighting  for  full  12  hours,  your  plants  are  not  able  to  photosyenthesis  properly.
 Further  your  lighting  is  also  on  lower  side.
 Increase  your  lighting  &  CO2  duration  to  12  hrs.
 After  some  time  change  your  golden  yellow  bulb  to  normal  white  CFL.
 It  should  help
nandy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:23 pm Post subject: Re: Help Needed : Anubeas and ferns turning yellow Reply with quote

@sandeepraghuvanshi  :  Thanks  Sandeep,  Please  help  me  out  in  the  below  mentioned  query.  PLease  Crying or Very sad  

All  these  days  I  am  diffusing  Co2  with  out  a  bubble  counter  and  a  non  return  valve.  Shall  I  continue  with  the  same  or  are  they  needed?
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:21 pm Post subject: Re: Help Needed : Anubeas and ferns turning yellow Reply with quote

nandy  wrote  (View  Post):                
@sandeepraghuvanshi  :  Thanks  Sandeep,  Please  help  me  out  in  the  below  mentioned  query.  PLease  Crying or Very sad  

All  these  days  I  am  diffusing  Co2  with  out  a  bubble  counter  and  a  non  return  valve.  Shall  I  continue  with  the  same  or  are  they  needed?                

Normally  a  diffuser  is  used  for  mixing  co2  with  water  or  else  a  lot  of  gas  will  bubble  out  of  tank,  bubble  counter  is  used  to  determine  the  rate  of  oxygen  flow  in  the  tank.
nandy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:29 pm Post subject: Re: Help Needed : Anubeas and ferns turning yellow Reply with quote

@Sandeep  :  Thanks   Smile  
 For  the  above  mentioned  tank  size  ..  how  many  bubbles  per  second  would  feasible  ???
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:34 pm Post subject: Re: Help Needed : Anubeas and ferns turning yellow Reply with quote

nandy  wrote  (View  Post):                
@Sandeep  :  Thanks   Smile  
 For  the  above  mentioned  tank  size  ..  how  many  bubbles  per  second  would  feasible  ???                

I  have  not  used  a  pressurised  co2  system,  so  cannot  you  help  with  that  one.  Very Happy  
 Dont'  worry,  someone  will  reply  sooner  or  later.
 However  please  take  care  that  changes  are  gradual  and  not  very  sudden.
nandy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:37 pm Post subject: Re: Help Needed : Anubeas and ferns turning yellow Reply with quote

Thank  you  Sandeep  for  your  valuable  suggestions..  Thanks  alot
jack86
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:57 pm Post subject: Re: Help Needed : Anubeas and ferns turning yellow Reply with quote

sandeepraghuvanshi  wrote  (View  Post):                
A  planted  tank  needs  lighting  for  full  12  hours,  your  plants  are  not  able  to  photosyenthesis  properly.
 It  should  help                

I  have  had  low  tech  tank  housing  anubias,  ferns  and  moss  running  decently  with  6-8  hours  of  ~1.6  W  lighting.  But,  yes  you  should  increase  the  lighting  as  you  are  also  have  CO2,  in  presence  of  which  plants  will  photosynthesise  more  than  in  its  absence.

You  can  manage  without  a  bubble  counter.  Simply  dip  the  CO2  tube  into  water  and  adjust  the  flow  to  meet  the  requirement.  (1.5  bps  should  be  good  enough  for  you)  Once  you  achieve  it,  fix  it  to  the  diffuser.

A  non   return  valve  ensures  that  water  wont  move  up  into  the  regulator.  If  water  does  get  into  the  regulator  it  damages  it.  Not  sure  if  it  is  dangerous  or  not,  though.  All  hobbyist  use  it.  It  is  easily  available  and  costs  as  little  as  a  chips  packet!

Leaves  turning  yellow  is  a  symptom  of  Potassium  deficiency.  (  I  think  I  have  read  so.  Google  it)  Also,  i  see  green  spots  on  leaves  which  might  also  point  in  the  same  direction.
 There  are  many  commercial  brands  available  for  fertilizers  like  Ferka,  ADA...  don't  know  about  others  but  the  first  one  should  cost  a  third  of  the  latter.

Also,  I  think  you  should  have  atleast  half  a  dozen  of  cardinals  if  not  more.  

Hope  it  helps.
Rana
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:30 pm Post subject: Re: Help Needed : Anubeas and ferns turning yellow Reply with quote

How  old  is  your  tank,  are  the  Anubias  newly  planted  ?  If  they  were  grown  emersed,  under  submersed  condition  the  old  leaves  may  die  and  new  shoot  will  appear.

Chlorosis  could  be  due  to  various  reason,  for  anubias,  fertiliser,  light  could  be  secondary  reason  as  they  grow  very  slowly.  You  did  not  mention  temp  of  your  tank.  In  higher  temperature  plants  face  difficulty.  Do  not  jump  on  fertiliser  as  you  are  on  Controsoil,  dose  some  potassium  (3-5  ppm)  as  jack  suggested,  try  to  keep  the  water  cool  with  decent  flow.  Make  some  water  changes,  I  think  condition  will  improve.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
crazygeneticist
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:10 pm Post subject: Re: Help Needed : Anubeas and ferns turning yellow Reply with quote

Have  hundreds  of  anubias.  Some  of  the  common  symptoms  and  remedy  listed:
 abnormally  shaped  new  leaves(calcium)
 fast  yellowing  leaves(magnesium  &  iron)
 pale  leaves(iron)
 black  burns(potassium)
 feeble(lighting)
nandy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:01 pm Post subject: Re: Help Needed : Anubeas and ferns turning yellow Reply with quote

jack86  wrote  (View  Post):                

sandeepraghuvanshi  wrote  (View  Post):                
 It  should  help                

I  have  had  low  tech  tank  housing  anubias,  ferns  and  moss  running  decently  with  6-8  hours  of  ~1.6  W  lighting.  But,  yes  you  should  increase  the  lighting  as  you  are  also  have  CO2,  in  presence  of  which  plants  will  photosynthesise  more  than  in  its  absence.

You  can  manage  without  a  bubble  counter.  Simply  dip  the  CO2  tube  into  water  and  adjust  the  flow  to  meet  the  requirement.  (1.5  bps  should  be  good  enough  for  you)  Once  you  achieve  it,  fix  it  to  the  diffuser.

A  non   return  valve  ensures  that  water  wont  move  up  into  the  regulator.  If  water  does  get  into  the  regulator  it  damages  it.  Not  sure  if  it  is  dangerous  or  not,  though.  All  hobbyist  use  it.  It  is  easily  available  and  costs  as  little  as  a  chips  packet!

Leaves  turning  yellow  is  a  symptom  of  Potassium  deficiency.  (  I  think  I  have  read  so.  Google  it)  Also,  i  see  green  spots  on  leaves  which  might  also  point  in  the  same  direction.
 There  are  many  commercial  brands  available  for  fertilizers  like  Ferka,  ADA...  don't  know  about  others  but  the  first  one  should  cost  a  third  of  the  latter.

Also,  I  think  you  should  have  atleast  half  a  dozen  of  cardinals  if  not  more.  

Hope  it  helps.                

Thanks  jack..  will  increase  the  lighting.  Even  Sandeep  suggested  me  the  same  thing.  Will  definitely  work  on  it   Smile  
 planning  to  buy  a  good  fert..

Thanks,
 Nandy
nandy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:50 pm Post subject: Re: Help Needed : Anubeas and ferns turning yellow Reply with quote

Rana  wrote  (View  Post):                
How  old  is  your  tank,  are  the  Anubias  newly  planted  ?  If  they  were  grown  emersed,  under  submersed  condition  the  old  leaves  may  die  and  new  shoot  will  appear.

Chlorosis  could  be  due  to  various  reason,  for  anubias,  fertiliser,  light  could  be  secondary  reason  as  they  grow  very  slowly.  You  did  not  mention  temp  of  your  tank.  In  higher  temperature  plants  face  difficulty.  Do  not  jump  on  fertiliser  as  you  are  on  Controsoil,  dose  some  potassium  (3-5  ppm)  as  jack  suggested,  try  to  keep  the  water  cool  with  decent  flow.  Make  some  water  changes,  I  think  condition  will  improve.                

Tank  is  pretty  old  more  than  15   months,  tied  those  anubeas  long  back(more  than  8  months).  all  the  leaves  were  small  n  green.  water  flow  is  very  slow.
 Will  do  the  necessary  changes..

Thanks,
 Nandy
nandy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:54 pm Post subject: Re: Help Needed : Anubeas and ferns turning yellow Reply with quote

crazygeneticist  wrote  (View  Post):                
Have  hundreds  of  anubias.  Some  of  the  common  symptoms  and  remedy  listed:
 abnormally  shaped  new  leaves(calcium)
 fast  yellowing  leaves(magnesium  &  iron)
 pale  leaves(iron)
 black  burns(potassium)
 feeble(lighting)                

Thanks  mate   Smile  ..  Thanks  for  describing  the  flavors  of  anubeas  sickness.

Thanks,
 Nandy
Deepak267
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:03 pm Post subject: Re: Help Needed : Anubeas and ferns turning yellow Reply with quote

Please  do  not  make  all  changes  in  one  (ex,  do  not  add  a  lot  of  fertilizer  or  supplements  in  one  go).  

I  have  anubias  in  my  low  tank  with  No  CO2  or  expensive  substrate  about  3  yrs  now.  its  with  12  hour  lighting  and  10%  WC  per  week.  It  is  growing  very  slow  but  I  never  had  any  issue  with  yellow  leaves.  

Deepak
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: