183. Guest
184. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,745

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Silver Arowana - Keeps Opening & Closing her Mouth
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Silver Arowana - Keeps Opening & Closing her Mouth

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> New Members and Beginners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArowanaNewBe
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:07 am Post subject: Silver Arowana - Keeps Opening & Closing her Mouth Reply with quote

Hi  Friends,
 I  have  got  one  silver  arowana  around  6-7  Inch  around  three  weeks  back.
 Its  in  a  4  feet  tank.  Water  Chage  twice  a  week.
 Hikari  food  4-5  pellets  twice  a  day
 I  have  observed  since  last  few  days  it  keeps  opening  and  closing  her  mouth.
 What  can  be  the  reason?
 Please  help.

Regards,
 Ashish
Kastor48252
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:32 am Post subject: Re: Silver Arowana - Keeps Opening & Closing her Mouth Reply with quote

Welcome  to  IAH  bro.   Welcome   

The  activity  you  describe  can  be  normal.
 It  will  help  in  diagnosis  if  you  post  a  video  of  the  same.
Kaya
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:27 am Post subject: Re: Silver Arowana - Keeps Opening & Closing her Mouth Reply with quote

ArowanaNewBe  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  Friends,
 I  have  got  one  silver  arowana  around  6-7  Inch  around  three  weeks  back.
 Its  in  a  4  feet  tank.  Water  Chage  twice  a  week.
 Hikari  food  4-5  pellets  twice  a  day
 I  have  observed  since  last  few  days  it  keeps  opening  and  closing  her  mouth.
 What  can  be  the  reason?
 Please  help.

Regards,
 Ashish                

ashish  hi..welcome  to  IAH..  can  you  give  some  more  details..  are  you  using  an  airstone?  heater?  what  filters?  how  much  WC  do  you  do  in  2  weeks?  water  parameters?  and  finally  are  there  any  tank  mates..  anyway  getting  to  your  question..  does  is  look  like  the  aro  is  gasping?  or  does  the  aro  open  its  mouth  like  a  yawn  and  close?  if  it  opens  its  mouth  like  a  yawn  its  definitely  hungry..  you  def  need  to  be  feeding  more  than  4  to  5  pellets  at  one  feeding  session..  around  this  size  is  when  aros  will  grow  out  like  crazy..  so  feed  well..  anyways..  please  post  a  video  if  you  can..  cheers..all  the  best..
GatorX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:16 pm Post subject: Re: Silver Arowana - Keeps Opening & Closing her Mouth Reply with quote

Might  be  due  to  lack  of  oxygen  in  the  tank,  try  adding  an  air  stone...
ArowanaNewBe
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:30 pm Post subject: Re: Silver Arowana - Keeps Opening & Closing her Mouth Reply with quote

@  Kastor48252  -  Thanks  for  welcome.  I  will  post  the  vid  very  soon.  This  Aro  is  with  me  for  around  3  weeks  and  was  not  doing  this  initially,  It  all  started  couple  of  days  back  after  I  cleanded  the  gravels  with  cyphon,  and  added  additional  water  as  a  replacement.

@  Kaya  -  Thanks  for  welcome,  After  joining  I  was  going  through  the  existing  threads,  your  huge  tank  project  was  most  impressive.  I  am  still  going  through  it  completed  reading  around  30  pages  Smile  

Here  are  few  answers:

1.  Its  a  Boyu  tank  fitted  with  top  mouted  filter,  dual  filter  media,  don't  know  the  media  material  but  one  is  black  and  top  one  is  white  with  finer  filtering  capability.
 2.  No  heaters  
 3.  I  do  around  20-25%  -  Did  little  frequest  this  week  as  I  did  not  have  cyphon  earlier.
 4.  Water  parameters  need  to  be  tested  yet,  Learning  about  things  now,  NewBe  as  the  name  suggest.
 5.  No  tank  mates
 6.  Its  not  Yawning,  its  slower  than  gasping  less  frequent,  opens  mouth  about  couple  of  mm.  I  have  noticed  her  gills  open  less(opening  size  not  freqnecy)  compared  to  earlier,  However  my  wife  says  its  the  same.
 7.  How  many  pallets  at  a  time  and  how  many  time  to  be  fed,  was  worried  about  overfeeding.

@  Gatorx  -  My  Local  Store  guy  says  I  need  to  reduce  the  air  flow  -  Its  on  higher  side,  However  I  do  not  have  air  stone  in  it.  Will  it  increase  dissolved  oxygen  level?

@all  this  aro  is  very  smart,  has  started  recognizing  me.  Comes  to  the  tank  wall  when  I  am  nearby..Stays  away  from  my  wife  and  daughter.
 Local  store  guy  recomended  Azoo  magic  treator,  as  there  might  by  any  infection.

I  have  got  the  Azoo  one.  Shall  I  try  it?

Regards,
 Ashish
Kaya
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:18 pm Post subject: Re: Silver Arowana - Keeps Opening & Closing her Mouth Reply with quote

@  Kastor48252  -  Thanks  for  welcome.  I  will  post  the  vid  very  soon.  This  Aro  is  with  me  for  around  3  weeks  and  was  not  doing  this  initially,  It  all  started  couple  of  days  back  after  I  cleanded  the  gravels  with  cyphon,  and  added  additional  water  as  a  replacement.

@  Kaya  -  Thanks  for  welcome,  After  joining  I  was  going  through  the  existing  threads,  your  huge  tank  project  was  most  impressive.  I  am  still  going  through  it  completed  reading  around  30  pages  Smile  

Here  are  few  answers:

1.  Its  a  Boyu  tank  fitted  with  top  mouted  filter,  dual  filter  media,  don't  know  the  media  material  but  one  is  black  and  top  one  is  white  with  finer  filtering  capability.
 2.  No  heaters  
 3.  I  do  around  20-25%  -  Did  little  frequest  this  week  as  I  did  not  have  cyphon  earlier.
 4.  Water  parameters  need  to  be  tested  yet,  Learning  about  things  now,  NewBe  as  the  name  suggest.
 5.  No  tank  mates
 6.  Its  not  Yawning,  its  slower  than  gasping  less  frequent,  opens  mouth  about  couple  of  mm.  I  have  noticed  her  gills  open  less(opening  size  not  freqnecy)  compared  to  earlier,  However  my  wife  says  its  the  same.
 7.  How  many  pallets  at  a  time  and  how  many  time  to  be  fed,  was  worried  about  overfeeding.

@  Gatorx  -  My  Local  Store  guy  says  I  need  to  reduce  the  air  flow  -  Its  on  higher  side,  However  I  do  not  have  air  stone  in  it.  Will  it  increase  dissolved  oxygen  level?

@all  this  aro  is  very  smart,  has  started  recognizing  me.  Comes  to  the  tank  wall  when  I  am  nearby..Stays  away  from  my  wife  and  daughter.
 Local  store  guy  recomended  Azoo  magic  treator,  as  there  might  by  any  infection.

Regards,
 Ashish                

:)  thanks  ashish..  please  have  a  look..  the  info  seems  fine..  i  would  suggest  you  not  to  fret..  give  it  some  time  and  observe..  about  the  tank  a  bare  bottom  tank  would  be  the  easiest  for  you  to  clean  and  you  can  siphon  out  poop  everday  or  every  other  day  and  jus  keep  topping  with  fresh  water..  i  feel  the  25%  WC  over  a  two  week  period  is  not  adequate..  i  didnt  quiet  get  your  response  to  gatorx..  what  does  the  LFS  recommend?  to  reduce  the  air  flow  in  what?  too  much  oxygen  will  not  harm  the  fish..  do  get  an  airstone  and  a  heater  for  the  tank..  prob  maintaining  the  tank  temp  at  like  22  to  24  deg  C..  about  the  feeding..what  pellets  are  you  feeding..  aros  are  not  gluttons  they  will  eat  till  they  feel  full  and  if  you  keep  dumping  more  they  will  ignore  it..  you  mentioned  5  pellets  right..  start  with  ten..  once  the  aro  has  finished  it..  try  another  5..  if  thats  done  too..  then  do  another  5..  i'm  sure  at  this  size  they'd  do  15  to  20..  and  then  after  a  12  hr  gap  do  another  feeding  same  way..  do  this  for  a  few  days  and  you  will  be  able  to  get  a  number..  feed  twice  a  day  and  as  it  bulks  up  increase  the  count..  aros  are  def  smart..  most  fish  are..  they  do  recognize  you  with  food..  well  all  the  best..  keep  us  posted..  cheers..  Smile
TheChannaGuy
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:02 pm Post subject: Re: Silver Arowana - Keeps Opening & Closing her Mouth Reply with quote

i  second  kaya.  air  wont  harm  your  fish.  the  few  mm  mouth  activity  seems  normal.  
 post  some  pics  and  vids  yaar.  we  will  love  to  see  your  fish   Thumb Up
 where  are  you  located
Kastor48252
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:29 pm Post subject: Re: Silver Arowana - Keeps Opening & Closing her Mouth Reply with quote

Kaya  wrote  (View  Post):                

Here  are  few  answers:

2.  No  heaters  
 5.  No  tank  mates

Regards,
 Ashish                

:)  thanks  ashish..  please  have  a  look..  the  info  seems  fine..  i  would  suggest  you  not  to  fret..  give  it  some  time  and  observe..  about  the  tank  a  bare  bottom  tank  would  be  the  easiest  for  you  to  clean  and  you  can  siphon  out  poop  everday  or  every  other  day  and  jus  keep  topping  with  fresh  water..  i  feel  the  25%  WC  over  a  two  week  period  is  not  adequate..  i  didnt  quiet  get  your  response  to  gatorx..  what  does  the  LFS  recommend?  to  reduce  the  air  flow  in  what?  too  much  oxygen  will  not  harm  the  fish..  do  get  an  airstone  and  a  heater  for  the  tank..  prob  maintaining  the  tank  temp  at  like  22  to  24  deg  C..  about  the  feeding..what  pellets  are  you  feeding..  aros  are  not  gluttons  they  will  eat  till  they  feel  full  and  if  you  keep  dumping  more  they  will  ignore  it..  you  mentioned  5  pellets  right..  start  with  ten..  once  the  aro  has  finished  it..  try  another  5..  if  thats  done  too..  then  do  another  5..  i'm  sure  at  this  size  they'd  do  15  to  20..  and  then  after  a  12  hr  gap  do  another  feeding  same  way..  do  this  for  a  few  days  and  you  will  be  able  to  get  a  number..  feed  twice  a  day  and  as  it  bulks  up  increase  the  count..  aros  are  def  smart..  most  fish  are..  they  do  recognize  you  with  food..  well  all  the  best..  keep  us  posted..  cheers..  Smile                

Yep.  Kaya's  right.  Thumb Up
ArowanaNewBe
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:04 pm Post subject: Re: Silver Arowana - Keeps Opening & Closing her Mouth Reply with quote

Ok..
 I  will  Change  feeding  to  as  Kaya  Suggested.
 Will  get  AirStone.
 LFS  suggested  to  reduce  the  air  flow  to  reduce  the  water  movement  and  not  for  reducing  oxygen.  I  have  increased  oxygen  to  earlier  levels.
 How  much  water  change  should  be  good  and  what  freqnecy?

@TheChannaGuy  I  am  located  at  Nerul.

Thanks,
 Ashish
Kastor48252
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:35 pm Post subject: Re: Silver Arowana - Keeps Opening & Closing her Mouth Reply with quote

Ok..
 Will  get  AirStone.
 LFS  suggested  to  reduce  the  air  flow  to  reduce  the  water  movement  and  not  for  reducing  oxygen.  I  have  increased  oxygen  to  earlier  levels.

Thanks,
 Ashish                

Go  ahead  dude.   Thumb Up  
 What  the  channa  guy  meant  was,  Update  your  location  in  your  PROFILE  so  that  you  do't  have  to  mentoin  it  again  and  again.   Thumb Up
Kaya
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:37 pm Post subject: Re: Silver Arowana - Keeps Opening & Closing her Mouth Reply with quote

Ok..
 Will  get  AirStone.

Thanks,
 Ashish                

ashish  cool  man..  what  is  the  model  of  the  boyu  tank..  i'll  have  a  look  on  their  site..  by  air  flow  you  mean  its  got  like  a  power  head  so  it  sprays  water  with  air  as  well  as  moving  it  to  the  top  filter?  ya  aros  dont  like  a  lot  of  surface  agitation..  smaller  aros  might  find  it  tough  to  swim  with  that  amount  of  agitation..  about  the  WC..  every  other  day  should  be  good..  just  do  like  a  bucket  of  water..  siphon  it  out  with  the  poop  at  bottom..  i  think  its  like  25  liters..  or  do  it  every  3  days..  well  really  depends..  i  used  to  do  it  everyday..  well  atleast  siphon  out  the  poop  and  top  up  water  like  every  other  day..  do  your  own  thing..  see  what  is  comfy  for  you..  and  also  note  that  if  you  keep  putting   the  siphon  in  every  day  you  also  have  more  chances  of  stressing  your  aro..  so  look  for  a  balance..  end  of  the  day  the  aro  has  to  be  comfy  when  you  put  your  hand  in..  Smile  too  much  aro  gyan  i  understand  but  i  just  love  aros  and  they  are  a  huge  responsibility..  well  any  fish  is..
ArowanaNewBe
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:15 pm Post subject: Re: Silver Arowana - Keeps Opening & Closing her Mouth Reply with quote

Thanks  Kaya,
 I  did  as  you  said.
 Made  it  Bare  Bottom  -  Now  arowana  someties  swim  much  closer  to  the  bottom.
 We  feed  her  Hikari  Arowana  Sticks.  Tried  increasing  no  of  sticks  to  10.  Eats  around  6,  sometimes  7  ignores  rest.
 Whenever  it  has  7  sticks  Aro  takes  rest  by  having  low  level  swimming  and  slow  ones  as  well.
 Feels  better  after  a  while  in  about  couple  of  hours  and  starts  swimming  at  top  again.
 Is  that  Normal?
 Opening  closing  of  mouth  is  still  there.

Thanks,
 Ashish
Kastor48252
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:47 pm Post subject: Re: Silver Arowana - Keeps Opening & Closing her Mouth Reply with quote

Once  again,  I  suggest  that  you  to  upload  a  video  to  you  tube  and  post  a  link  here  Bro.  
 It  will  help  a  lot  in  diagnosis  of  the  problem,  if  there  is  any  at  all  and  you  will  rest  assured.   Thumb Up
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  New Members and Beginners All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: