49. Guest
50. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,374

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Digital Timer for lights in planted tank
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Digital Timer for lights in planted tank

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Lighting for Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:46 pm Post subject: Digital Timer for lights in planted tank Reply with quote

Hi  all
 I  am  thinking  of  going  in  for  a  digital  timer/panel  for  controlling  lights  &  co2  in  my  planted  tank.
 The  tank  is  still  in  process  of  being  setup.
 Experiences  of  members  using  such  devices  along  with  pictures  would  be  highly  appreciated.
saikumar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:58 pm Post subject: Re: Digital Timer for lights in planted tank Reply with quote

This  is  my  share

Hope  it  gives  an  idea  for  your  makeup.
 Its  a  9X  plug/switch  wooden  box  with  3X3pin  and  6X2  pin  sockets.
 You  could  fit  on  your  Frontier  timer  for  the  switch  accordingly.

A  switch  board  maker  should  make  the  whole  thing  for  you  at  approximately  300.  
 It  would  be  better  if  you  use  a  spike-buster  strip  though,  it  has  better  saftey.

Cheers!

edit-  'ed  out  pics.

Last edited by saikumar on Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zakk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:53 pm Post subject: Re: Digital Timer for lights in planted tank Reply with quote

mines  quite  simple.

Last edited by Zakk on Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
sushant
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:29 am Post subject: Re: Digital Timer for lights in planted tank Reply with quote

saikumar,  where  did  u  get  that  timer  from?  is  that  a  DIY  project?
Trayderji
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:23 am Post subject: Re: Digital Timer for lights in planted tank Reply with quote

Hey  Saikumar,

Please  share  you  timer  ckt  details,  would  love  to  make  one  like  yours.
drug
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:45 pm Post subject: Re: Digital Timer for lights in planted tank Reply with quote

Sandeep
 Unlike  many  of  our  illustrious  co-members  my  back  ground  is  non  technical.  So  I  didn't  attempt  any  DIY  stuff  at  all.  I  got  someone  who  knew  what  he  was  doing  to  do  it  for  me.

Got  a  Frontier  timer  from  the  electrical  store.  Drew  the  following  diagram  and  the  gave  to  the  electrical  and  electronics  repair  chap  in  the  neighborhood.  {It  helped  that  he  repairs  minor  stuff  for  the  family}.  The  wood  and  the  board  for  the  box,  the  plugs,  indicator  and  the  labor  cost  came  to  a  total  of  Rs750/-  .  The  timer  cost  me  Rs  650/-  at  that  time.  {I  am  not  mentioning  any  shops  or  individuals  names  here,  but  if  you  think  that  prices  are  still  inappropriate  please  delete  them  as  soon  as  you  have  read  them  Smile  }

My  light  fittings  are  industrial  ceiling  mountable  ones  and  use  three  pin  plugs,  the  two  pins  are  used  by  the  filters,  power  heads  etc.  I  have  erratic  electrical  supply  at  home  and  have  had  timers  conk  of  once  in  a  while,  I  just  pulled  out  the  timer  and  replaced  it  with  another  one.  The  defunct  timer  were  repaired  for  me  by  Deepak  Brid.

If  you  attempt  this  I  would  suggest  that  you  ask  your  electrician  to  make  the  timer  more  accessible  for  removal/repairs  and  battery  changes.  I  have  to  unscrew  eight  little  screws  to  open  the  box,  and  the  little  buggers  get  lost  immediately  and  that  screws  up  my  day  Very Happy  .  

I  don't  seem  to  have  a  picture  ready  at  hand,  but  let  me  sift  through  the  thousands  of  photos  that  I  have  on  the  laptop  and  see  if  I  can  locate  one.  I  assure  you  that  aesthetically  this  will  be  much  better  than  having  a  tangle  of  wires  near  your  tank.

By  the  way  both  my  tanks  run  from  this  timer  board

sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 pm Post subject: Re: Digital Timer for lights in planted tank Reply with quote

saikumar  wrote  (View  Post):                
This  is  my  share

Hope  it  gives  an  idea  for  your  makeup.
 Its  a  9X  plug/switch  wooden  box  with  3X3pin  and  6X2  pin  sockets.
 You  could  fit  on  your  Frontier  timer  for  the  switch  accordingly.

A  switch  board  maker  should  make  the  whole  thing  for  you  at  approximately  300.  
 It  would  be  better  if  you  use  a  spike-buster  strip  though,  it  has  better  saftey.

Cheers!

edit-  'ed  out  pics.                

Thanks
 Some  questions
 Which  Timer  have  you  used?
 Is  it  attached  to  your  board  or  is  kept  seperately?
 Are  all  sockets  in  your  board  attached  to  timer?
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:20 pm Post subject: Re: Digital Timer for lights in planted tank Reply with quote

drug  wrote  (View  Post):                
Sandeep
 Unlike  many  of  our  illustrious  co-members  my  back  ground  is  non  technical.  So  I  didn't  attempt  any  DIY  stuff  at  all.  I  got  someone  who  knew  what  he  was  doing  to  do  it  for  me.

Got  a  Frontier  timer  from  the  electrical  store.  Drew  the  following  diagram  and  the  gave  to  the  electrical  and  electronics  repair  chap  in  the  neighborhood.  {It  helped  that  he  repairs  minor  stuff  for  the  family}.  The  wood  and  the  board  for  the  box,  the  plugs,  indicator  and  the  labor  cost  came  to  a  total  of  Rs750/-  .  The  timer  cost  me  Rs  650/-  at  that  time.  {I  am  not  mentioning  any  shops  or  individuals  names  here,  but  if  you  think  that  prices  are  still  inappropriate  please  delete  them  as  soon  as  you  have  read  them  Smile  }

My  light  fittings  are  industrial  ceiling  mountable  ones  and  use  three  pin  plugs,  the  two  pins  are  used  by  the  filters,  power  heads  etc.  I  have  erratic  electrical  supply  at  home  and  have  had  timers  conk  of  once  in  a  while,  I  just  pulled  out  the  timer  and  replaced  it  with  another  one.  The  defunct  timer  were  repaired  for  me  by  Deepak  Brid.

If  you  attempt  this  I  would  suggest  that  you  ask  your  electrician  to  make  the  timer  more  accessible  for  removal/repairs  and  battery  changes.  I  have  to  unscrew  eight  little  screws  to  open  the  box,  and  the  little  buggers  get  lost  immediately  and  that  screws  up  my  day  Very Happy  .  

I  don't  seem  to  have  a  picture  ready  at  hand,  but  let  me  sift  through  the  thousands  of  photos  that  I  have  on  the  laptop  and  see  if  I  can  locate  one.  I  assure  you  that  aesthetically  this  will  be  much  better  than  having  a  tangle  of  wires  near  your  tank.

By  the  way  both  my  tanks  run  from  this  timer  board

Thanks  uni.
 I  am  in  the  same  boat  as  yourself,  so  I  will  also  get  it  constructed  by  some  one.
 We  have  frequent  power  breakdowns,  is  there  a  way  by  which  timer  can  be  protected  by  power  surges  etc.
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:21 pm Post subject: Re: Digital Timer for lights in planted tank Reply with quote

Zakk
 Your  picture  is  not  visible  to  me,  maybe  firewall  issues.
 Post  it  in  IAH  gallery  if  possible.
jack86
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:06 pm Post subject: Re: Digital Timer for lights in planted tank Reply with quote

sandeepraghuvanshi  wrote  (View  Post):                

We  have  frequent  power  breakdowns,  is  there  a  way  by  which  timer  can  be  protected  by  power  surges  etc.                

Should  a  stabilizer  do  the  trick  (Does  it  protect  against  not  so  strong  surges?)?  I  face  the  same  problem  and  have  heard  many  complain  about  how  frequently  they  lose  their  timers!
saikumar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:33 pm Post subject: Re: Digital Timer for lights in planted tank Reply with quote

Aha!!  Got  it  at  last.
 This  is  one  that  looked  nice  and  made  me  want  one.

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=11805&highlight=timer

Better  way  is  like  Zakk,  using  spike  buster.  
 Do  these  Frontier  timers  have  any  Earthing??  if  you  do  earth  it,  it  shouldnt  conk-off  so  easily.

My  timer,a  little  different,  its  equi  to  8  frontiers.  All  inside  the  box-  forget  it.
 Just  wanted  to  show  you  the  board  that  you  could  build/order,  and  connections  you  could  do  on  board.  Should  be  straight  forward  for  a  electrical  guy  though.

ATB....and  ATB  again!
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:36 pm Post subject: Re: Digital Timer for lights in planted tank Reply with quote

+1  with  Asish  (jack86).

I  have  lost  3  frontier  timer  in  my  sisters  tank.  Finally  brought  a  v-guard  600va  stabilizer.  Now  no  issues.   Smile  

Even  spike  buster  should  work.  When  checked  a  good  spike  buster,  Its  almost  costing  the  same  price  of  a  stabilizer.  Hence  brought  a  stabilizer  finally.  Now  no  issues  with  the  timer  conking  off...

I  have  followed  the  same  method  Unni  had  mentioned.  But  I  did  all  be  myself..  Smile
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:41 pm Post subject: Re: Digital Timer for lights in planted tank Reply with quote

Frontier  timer  does  not  have  earth!!!  Thumb Down
Zakk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:32 pm Post subject: Re: Digital Timer for lights in planted tank Reply with quote

fixed  the  link
mullaji
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:44 pm Post subject: Re: Digital Timer for lights in planted tank Reply with quote

Ive  a  good  digital  timer  its  german  made  dnt  worry  ill  make  you  aware  of  it   Cheering
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Lighting for Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: