47. Guest
48. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,937

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - slimy white substance on air lines,suckers, silicone joints
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

slimy white substance on air lines,suckers, silicone joints

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ame
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:06 pm Post subject: slimy white substance on air lines,suckers, silicone joints Reply with quote

hello  everyone
       my  new  tank  after  10  days  is  having  slimy  white  deposits  on  all    air  lines,  suckers  and  some  places  on  the  silicone  adhesive  on  glass  joints.
         i  have  used  normal  tap  water  of  mumbai  with  dechlorinator.

the  sealant  used  was  dow  corning  red  tube  costing  around  150  rs.

also  the  front  and  side  glasses  have  lines  (not  scratches  )  which  make  the  view  distorted  and  uneven.these  lines  are  inbuilt  in  the  glass.

i  am  using  CYCLE  for  fishless  cycling  of  my  new  tank.how  long  should  it  take  to  cycle  ?

thanks  to  the  entire  team  for  the  great  site.

AME
             MUMBAI
nag
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:50 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  Ame:

That  slime  is  the  bacterial  deposit  which  is  caused  by  using  CYCLE  in  a  newly  setup  tank.

Nothing  to  worry.  Keep  removing  this  slime  which  will  keep  on  building  till  you  do  4th  OR  5th  Water  Change.  Then  onwards,  once  the  *Nitrogen  Fixation  Cycle*  gets  esbatlished  in  the  tank,  it  wont  appear.

Bye,

Last edited by nag on Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nag
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:55 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Continued...

CYCLE  will  start  to  function  within  4  hrs  of  its  introduction  in  the  water...i.e.  as  soon  as  the  bacteria  becomes  active  with  warm  water  in  the  aquarium.

But  for  CYCLE  to  establish  according  to  required  proportions,  it  may  take  about  72  Hrs.

Bye,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deepak_Brid
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:19 am Post subject: Re: slimy white substance on air lines,suckers, silicone joi Reply with quote

ame  wrote:                
also  the  front  and  side  glasses  have  lines  (not  scratches  )  which  make  the  view  distorted  and  uneven.these  lines  are  inbuilt  in  the  glass.                

Hi  Ame,

Were  you  specific  about  the  glass  for  which  the  order  was  placed?  Modi  &  Saint  Gobain  are  two  brands  which  are  good  &    don't  have  waves  or  air  bubbles/pockets.

Tips:
 #Seeing  the  glass  surface  from  an  angel  (~10  degrees)  will  show  uneven  surfaces.  
 #Look  for  Modi  &  Saint  Gobain  logos  on  the  glass.

Regards

Last edited by Deepak_Brid on Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
beta
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:41 am Post subject: Re: slimy white substance on air lines,suckers, silicone joi Reply with quote

ame  wrote:                
hello  everyone
       my  new  tank  after  10  days  is  having  slimy  white  deposits  on  all    air  lines,  suckers  and  some  places  on  the  silicone  adhesive  on  glass  joints.
         i  have  used  normal  tap  water  of  mumbai  with  dechlorinator.        
         the  sealant  used  was  dow  corning  red  tube  costing  around  150  rs.

AME
             MUMBAI                

I  think  the  problem  is  with  the  silicone  sealant.  I  had  the  same  problem  in  my  tank.  The  slime  went  off  after  a  couple  of  months.
nytyn
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:36 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Quote:                

This  is  because  you  have  used  a  type  of  glass  thats  called  sheet  glass.  This  does  have  waves  internally.  Float  glass  is  superior  to  this,  and  will  not  have  the  waves.

This  is  very  evident  in  huge  buildings,  where  glass  is  used  with  the  mirror  kinda  finish,  when  you  walk  past  the  building,  you  see  the  reflection  jumpy,  if  its  sheet  glass,  and  unshaken,  if  its  float  glass!!!!

Just  my  2  cents!!!
Deepak_Brid
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:07 pm Post subject: Re: slimy white substance on air lines,suckers, silicone joi Reply with quote

ame  wrote:                
my  new  tank  after  10  days  is  having  slimy  white  deposits  on  all    air  lines,  suckers                

Hi  Ame,

2  years  back  when  I  had  a  similar  problem  in  a  well  established  aquarium.  When  I  introduced  the  new  airline  (color-white)  into  the  water  column  it  developed  slimy  coat  all  over  it,  this  persisted  for  a  week  or  so  &  then  vanished.  I  didn’t  bother  much  because  I  knew  the  problem  was  the  tubing.

I  had  bought  this  airline  from  a  LFS  in  Bangalore,  the  shopkeeper  claimed  that  it  was  made  of  silicone,  but  it  wasn't  the  case;  it  was  â€œlike”  silicone,  stayed  soft  until  it's  exposed  to  varied  temp  &  conditions.  After  about  6-7  months  the  airline  under  water  became  so  hard  that  it  had  to  be  cut  to  be  removed  from  the  equipment.  When  I  spoke  the  shopkeeper  about  it,  he  quoted  â€œYou  are  the  first  person  to  say  so!  I’ve  never  received  any  such  complaints”  &  ended  the  conversation.  Well,  I  couldn’t  do  much  about  the  LFS  guy’s  attitude.

There  are  airlines  made  from  pure  silicone;  ~  4  times  expensive  when  compared  to  the  ones  available  locally.  Also  available  in  pale  green  &  pale  blue.  

It’s  up  to  you.  Pay  the  extra  if  you  think  you  will  benefit.  Personally,  I  think  it’s  worth  that  extra  bit;  one  does  not  have  to  bother  for  years  for  replacing  them.

Regards
aquadip2000
Moderator - Sponsor's Forum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:39 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hey  Ame,
 I  have  had  the  same  problem  too  some  time  ago!
 It  happened  in  my  tanks  that  i  had  built  for  breeding  discus!  I  found  the  problem  to  be  the  GE  silicone!,  its  not  the  right  stuff  meant  for  aquariums.  
 GE  manufactures  Aquasil  glass  sealent  ,which  is  meant  to  be  used  for  aquariums  try  this  when  you  make  a  tank  the  next  time  around  and  am  sure  you  wont  have  a  problem!!

By  the  way  i  lost  some  discus  fry  due  to  the  coating  of  the  slime  on  the  silicone!  dint  affect  the  bigger  fishes  though.  And  over  a  period  of  time  this  layer  will  dissapear  all  by  itself  but  the  silicone  which  you  would  have  applied  would  have  shrunk  in  size!

Regards
 Adip
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: