220. Guest
221. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,911

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Atlast 25G set for cycling
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Atlast 25G set for cycling
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Water Chemistry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nonza
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:22 pm Post subject: Re: Atlast 25G set for cycling Reply with quote

Hi  Sourav,

Well  your  understanding  sounds  pretty  much  spot  on   Smile  

Royal  Gramma  are  beautiful  and  hardy.  (Not  as  tough  as  damsels  against  ich,  though).  You  could  wait  till  they  become  available.  Gobies  are  also  nice.  Dumping  in  a  damsel  would  work,  but  after  a  while  you'd  get  fed  up  and  want  to  remove  him...etc.  Perhaps  a  Chromis?  Haven't  tried  that  out  myself  though.

For  the  moment,  you  could  start  off  with  a  crustacean  e.g  hermit  crab  or  even  a  shrimp.  In  my  experience,  I  haven't  seen  higher  levels  of  N02  or  N03  impact  them,  and  then  gradually  add  the  fish  you  really  want.  

Ok,  now  the  bad  news....  since  your  end  goal  is  a  reef,  you  need  to  prepare  yourself  to  SPEND  MONEY   Chuckle  

Research  a  lot  before  you  purchase.  If  you  want  quality  equipment,  you  will  probably  have  to  import  from  abroad.  Most  P04  test  kits  are  unreliable.  I  believe  that  only  Red  Sea  and  Hanna,  make  decent  P04  kits.  In  any  case,  P04  is  not  a  current  cause  of  concern,  neither  is  calcium  and  alkalinity.

At  this  point,  you'd  need  to  concentrate  on  the  following,
 1.  Control  of  N02  and  N03
 2.  Maintaining  solid  temperature.
 3.  Consistent  Salinity  
 ....  and  the  other  favourable  conditions  that  you've  already  mentioned.  Focus  on  these  first.  As  you  progress,  we'll  be  happy  to  help  out.

I've  purchased  a  ton  of  different  equipment  personally,  and  will  be  happy  to  advise  if  you  have  any  doubts  regrading  certain  brands  etc

Good  luck!!
xarg0n
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:29 am Post subject: Re: Atlast 25G set for cycling Reply with quote

Hi  Nonza..

Thanks  for  the  time  you  are  really  spending  to  help  me  out.

Nonza  wrote  (View  Post):                

For  the  moment,  you  could  start  off  with  a  crustacean  e.g  hermit  crab  or  even  a  shrimp.  In  my  experience,  I  haven't  seen  higher  levels  of  N02  or  N03  impact  them,  and  then  gradually  add  the  fish  you  really  want.  

To  be  Honest  this  was  exactly  what  I  planned  for.  But  You  wont  get  stuffs  when  you  need  one  and  plenty  will
 be  around  you  when  you  dont  need  one.   Sad  

yesterday,  I  spent  around  4-5  hrs  at  Kolathur,  and  picked  up  a  yellow  tailed  blue  Damsel  from  Hitech  Aqua.
 Its  a  very  small  and  cute  one  and  as  per  many  reference  articles  the  least  aggressive  of  all  Damsels.  As  I  have  
 many  natural  caves  including  an  entire  corner  of  my  tank  and  there  are  multiple  openings  to  be  accessed  for  the  same.  it  is  loving  the  place  and  inspecting  every  cm  of  space  inside  the  cave.  For  sure  any  other  tank  mate  I  am  going  to  introduce  later  will  have  a  real  hard  time  accessing  the  interiors  of  these  caves   Very Happy   

After  adding  the  fish  I  kept  the  lights  switched  off  for  few  hours  and  after  wards  it  looked  very  relaxed  when  I
 switched  the  lights  on.  Every  pores  of  my  LRs  are  currently  being  laser  scanned   Chuckle  by  the  damsel  and  any  possible  sign  of  food  is  being  picked  up  with  supreme  accuracy.  

Today  morning  I  gave  2-3  very  little  pieces  cut  from  tiger  prawns,  and  it  readily  accepted  it.  However  located
 few  uneaten  flakes  that  I  bought  too  along  the  fish  which  I  have  removed  with  the  planting  forceps.
 I  have  also  got  a  powder  looking  thing  from  the  same  shop  which  keeps  NO2/NO3  very  low  as  claimed  by  the
 store  owner.  these  come  in  a  white  plastic  dibba,  with  a  wheat  colored  amorphous(not  crystalline)  powder.  
 No  doubt  these  were  DIYed  by  the  store  owner.  The  powder  needs  to  be  added  a  pinch  twice  a  week  in  a  moderate
 to  heavily  stocked  tank.  My  tank  anyhow  does  not  meet  any  of  these  criteria.  But  still  picked  it  up  to  do  some  research  on  that  powder,  may  be  in  my  fresh  water  tanks.

One  more  thing,   as  the  current  skimmer  is  installed  within  the  main  tank(cant  move  until  the  sump  comes  tomorrow)  and  being  quite  a  little  one  it  creates  lots  of  fine  bubbles  (fumes)  in  the  entire  tank  the  fish  is  getting  really  pissed  off  initially  and  later  so  frustrated  ,  hiding  in  such  a  place  where  no  way  the  bubbles  can  enter.
 Only  it  is  coming  out  when  the  skimmer  is  switched  off.  Is  there  any  harm  these  micro  bubbles  can  cause  to
 a  fish  ?  If  it  does  I  have  to  change  the  stuff  !!

2.  Maintaining  solid  temperature.

As  of  now  my  solid  score  on  temperature  is  31.2*C   Thumb Down  .  Haven't  started  anything  for  cooling  so  far  as  the  reef  thing  is  still  a  long  to  go.  Only  few  fading  has  been  noticed  so  far  in  the  coraline  front.  Also  is  it  possible  to
 get  infected  by  things  like  ich  at  this  temperature  even  if  situation  permits  ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nonza
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:54 am Post subject: Re: Atlast 25G set for cycling Reply with quote

Congratulations  on  your  fish!   Clapping  A  fairly  fail-safe  (health-wise)  choice.  They  are  quite  intelligent  and  alert  fish.

I  would  be  very  skeptical  about  this  powder  from  the  LFS.  Have  you  already  added  it  to  your  tank?  If  you  haven't,  I'd  recommend  that  you  be  cautious  and  don't.  I  have  never  heard  of  this,  and  I  wouldn't  add  it  without  research.  You  are  planning  for  a  refugium  right?  That  works  well,  and  is  "all  natural".

Microbubbles  aren't  really  a  concern  to  fish  in  terms  of  health.  Its  probably  just  irritating.  Some  types  of  coral  on  the  other  hand,  absolutely  hate  it.  Either  way,  once  you  move  the  skimmer  to  the  sump,  the  problem  should  subside.

As  far  as  temp  for  fish  is  concerned,  31  deg  is  ok.  Have  kept  a  FO  tank  @  34  deg  for  long  periods,  years  ago.

Most  fish  have  high  tolerance  against  ick.  The  few  susceptible  types  are  tangs,  angels  and  butterflies.  Don't  remember  ever  seeing  seeing  ick  in  the  others.  So  you  should  be  fine.  If  at  any  point,  the  damsel  is  severely  stressed  and  has  ick,  I'd  do  a  50%  water  change  to  reduce  N02  concentration  the  water.
xarg0n
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:18 am Post subject: Re: Atlast 25G set for cycling Reply with quote

I  would  be  very  skeptical  about  this  powder  from  the  LFS.  Have  you  already  added  it  to  your  tank?  If  you  haven't,  I'd  recommend  that  you  be  cautious  and  don't.  I  have  never  heard  of  this,  and  I  wouldn't  add  it  without  research.  You  are  planning  for  a  refugium  right?  That  works  well,  and  is  "all  natural".

Hi  Nonza..

No  I  have  not  added  this  powder  to  my  tank..  the  reason  being
 The  LFS  guy  does  not  have  any  tank  with  LRs  in  the  store.  He  only  has  
 fish  highly  (150  +  clowns  in  a  2  feet  tank  for  eg..)stocked  with  big  skimmers  and  probably  does  weekly  water  change.
 As  these  guys  are  hardly  depending   on  any  beneficial  bacteria  ,  to  keep  NO2/NO3  untraceable  this  powder  is  being  used.  Also  neither  do  I  know  the  ingredients  nor  the  actual  way  how  this  powder  works  and  what  impact  It  may
 cause  to  an  established  LR.  It  may  wipe  out  the  entire  bacteria  colony  or  critters  residing  in  the  rocks
 making  it  dead  overnight.  Also  his  marine  stocks  are  highly  fluid  and  gets  sold  in  matter  of  days,  not  the  case
 of  hobbyists  where  in  the  long  run  what  happens  to  the  fish  as  a  side  effect  no  one  knows.  Hence  the  dibba  just  sits
 in  the  racks  as  an  evidence  of  such  a  powder  that  exists.   Chuckle  

If  you  want  to  do  some  RnD  on  this  powder  I  can  send  you  a  little  sample  though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gremlin
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:33 am Post subject: Re: Atlast 25G set for cycling Reply with quote

don't  add  anything  in  your  tank  that  you  can't  test  for.  The  white  powder  may  be  powdered  sugar,  just  a  guess.  Your  tank  is  new  so  once  everything  settles  and  you  don't  overfeed  you  should  not  have  any  NO3  or  PO4  problem.  In  case  you  have  this  problem  you  can  look  into  dosing  carbon  like  sugar,  vinegar  or  Vodka.  You  have  to  be  really  careful  when  doing  this  cause  over  dosing  can  cause  bacterial  bloom.  
 I  use  to  dose  vodka  and  my  SPS  loved  it  and  had  amazing  colors  but  lost  all  my  acans  and  other  lps.  I  like  the  NO3  in  my  tank  to  be  around  5  and  that  amount  is  not  harmful  for  the  fish.
Nonza
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:58 pm Post subject: Re: Atlast 25G set for cycling Reply with quote

I  wish  could  perform  an  analysis  on  that  powder,  but  my  skills  are  rubbish  in  that  dept   Very Happy  

As  gremlin  mentioned,  it  could  very  likely  be  powdered  sugar.  You  in  the  mood  to  taste  it?   ROFL  

Very Happy   Anyways,  you're  on  the  right  track  and  should  be  ok.  I  really  don't  trust  LFS  guys,  they've  led  me  astray  for  ages.
xarg0n
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:11 am Post subject: Re: Atlast 25G set for cycling Reply with quote

gremlin  wrote  (View  Post):                
 In  case  you  have  this  problem  you  can  look  into  dosing  carbon  like  sugar,  vinegar  or  Vodka.  You  have  to  be  really  careful  when  doing  this  cause  over  dosing  can  cause  bacterial  bloom.  

Can  you  explain  more  on  this  Gremlin...How  adding  carbohydrate  source  helps  keeping  
 NO3/PO4  low..
xarg0n
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:33 pm Post subject: Re: Atlast 25G set for cycling Reply with quote

Found  an  anemone  (less  than  1cm  dia)  which  was  initially  attached  to  LR,  but  now
 moved  from  the  LR  and  has  attached  itself  to  the  Glass,  1  inch  below  water  level.  Also  that  place  
 is  directly  under  the  6500K  CFL  and  having  more  water  flow.  right  now  there  are  two  reasons  hitting  my  mind..

1>  Light  requirement
 2>  Spread  of  Algae/Diatom  on  the  LR  as  recently  PO4  is  around  .4  ppm

Can  these  two  reason  be  why  the  anemone  shifted  to  Glass,  right  below  the  lamp  ?  Please  note  my  lights  are
 still  very  less(1  20W  actinic+  1  6500k  CFL)  than  which  is  required  for  corals  as  I  have  not  introduced  any  in
 the  tank.  Also  even  in  this  light  Algae  is  doing  pretty  good  Sad  

And  please  ID  this  anemone,  if  it  is  an  Aiptasia,  need  to  remove  manually  !!
 https://picasaweb.google.com/108584927136841852946/Anemone?authkey=Gv1sRgCLbqt7_Yn-qa1QE#5667687245259122146
 https://picasaweb.google.com/108584927136841852946/Anemone?authkey=Gv1sRgCLbqt7_Yn-qa1QE#5667687055905179650
 https://picasaweb.google.com/108584927136841852946/Anemone?authkey=Gv1sRgCLbqt7_Yn-qa1QE#5667686753715359858
gremlin
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:56 pm Post subject: Re: Atlast 25G set for cycling Reply with quote

Its  not  aptasia  but  looks  like  a  kind  of  glass  amenone.  The  anemone  is  moving  around  because  of  high  PO4  and  low  light.
vikaspell
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:42 pm Post subject: Re: Atlast 25G set for cycling Reply with quote

Is  that  live  rock  in  the  video..  i  have  similar  rock  in  my  marine  tank  and  i  though  that  was  dead  rock.

can  some  one  explain  how  i  can  different  tiate  between  live  and  dead  rock.  i  will  try  to  make  a  video  of  my  tank  and  post  it  here

vikas
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Water Chemistry All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: