36. Guest
37. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 28,423

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Feeding mosquitoes to bettas
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Feeding mosquitoes to bettas
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Betta Bitten and other Labyrinths
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vicky01
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:09 am Post subject: Feeding mosquitoes to bettas Reply with quote

Hi,

I  recently  bought  a  betta.  I  am  looking  for  natural  food  for  him.  Everyone  seems  to  agree  that  mosquito  larvae  are  a  very  good  natural  food  for  bettas.  But  has  anyone  tried  feeding  them  mosquitoes?  The  bettas  I  kept  a  long  time  ago  used  to  readily  accept  mosquitoes.  I  wanted  to  know  whether  there  are  any  long-term  adverse  effects  of  feeding  them  mosquitoes  on  a  daily  basis.

Thanks,
 Vicky
alpha91

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:58 am Post subject: Re: Feeding mosquitoes to bettas Reply with quote

No  worries  at  all   Thumb Up  
 Mosquitoes,  other  small  insects,  larvae.  Really  nice  food!
nikhilsood1
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:34 am Post subject: Re: Feeding mosquitoes to bettas Reply with quote

In  fact  you  just  need  a  container  and  add  a  few  leaves  to  it  and  leave  it  in  a  shaded  portion  of  your  house  (definitely  outside)  and  you  can  harvest  the  larvae  regularly  from  that.  Its  a  very  good  conditioner  for  breeding.
popatlal
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:27 pm Post subject: Re: Feeding mosquitoes to bettas Reply with quote

ya  betta  wl  eat  mosqito
Vicky01
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:46 am Post subject: Re: Feeding mosquitoes to bettas Reply with quote

Thanks,  folks,  your  responses  are  encouraging.   Smile  

There  are  mosquitoes  buzzing  around  my  feet  even  as  I  send  this  response.  I'm  going  to  swat  them  down  and  feed  them  to  my  betta  in  the  morning.   Very Happy  

Regards,
 Vicky
popatlal
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:08 am Post subject: Re: Feeding mosquitoes to bettas Reply with quote

Chuckle
sushant
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:29 am Post subject: Re: Feeding mosquitoes to bettas Reply with quote

Vicky01  wrote  (View  Post):                

There  are  mosquitoes  buzzing  around  my  feet  even  as  I  send  this  response.  I'm  going  to  swat  them  down  and  feed  them  to  my  betta  in  the  morning.   Very Happy  

Regards,
 Vicky                

This  is  how  they  deserve  to  be  treated   ROFL
ram_v
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:11 am Post subject: Re: Feeding mosquitoes to bettas Reply with quote

sushant  wrote  (View  Post):                

Regards,
 Vicky                

This  is  how  they  deserve  to  be  treated   ROFL                

I  used  a  mosquito  bat  to  trap  mosquitoes  and  feed  them  to  my  betta.
Vicky01
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:32 am Post subject: Re: Feeding mosquitoes to bettas Reply with quote

A  mosquito  bat!  I  have  got  to  buy  one  of  those.  I  use  the  Times  of  India  to  swat  mosquitoes  for  my  fish.  What  you  are  about  to  read  is  a  little  gory—parental  supervision  is  mandatory  if  you  are  a  minor  and  plan  to  read  on.   Very Happy  

I  fold  the  newspaper  twice,  until  it’s  roughly  like  a  12”  x  6”  rectangle.  Mosquitoes  seem  to  be  most  active  when  the  lights  are  on  in  only  one  room  in  the  house.  I  keep  the  window  and  the  door  of  that  room  open  and  then  lie  in  wait  for  them.  When  I’m  sure  that  there’s  plenty  of  them  in  the  room,  I  close  the  door  and  window  and  start  swatting.  On  a  good  day,  you  can  collect  about  20  or  30  of  them  by  using  this  method.

I  put  the  mosquitoes  in  a  small  plastic  container  for  the  night.  The  next  morning,  I  feed  them  to  my  jaguar  cichlids.  The  jags  love  them!  The  fattest  and  most  active  mosquito  now  goes  to  my  betta.  He  stalks  the  mosquito  and  lines  himself  up  for  the  pounce  and  the  kill.  It’s  fun  to  watch,  especially  if  your  betta  is  not  an  accomplished  hunter  and  needs  more  than  a  single  attempt  to  bring  down  the  mosquito!   Very Happy  

I  think  feeding  mosquitoes  to  your  fish  is  therapeutic.  You  get  to  feed  your  fish  natural  food.  And  at  the  same  time,  you  are  taking  revenge  for  all  the  times  that  the  little  critters  have  fed  on  your  blood.   Chuckle  

Vicky
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:20 am Post subject: Re: Feeding mosquitoes to bettas Reply with quote

I  think  feeding  mosquitoes  to  your  fish  is  therapeutic.  You  get  to  feed  your  fish  natural  food.  And  at  the  same  time,  you  are  taking  revenge  for  all  the  times  that  the  little  critters  have  fed  on  your  blood.   Chuckle  
 Vicky                

You  gave  words  to  my  thoughts  man!
 Thats  what  I  though  when  I  came  to  the  topic.  

But  Do  mosquitoes  have  enough  nutrients?  
 I  mean  are  the  worth  the  effort?  They  are  just  tiny  sacs  of  blood  buzzing  around  ,  licking  things,  sitting  on  cr*p  and  what  not.  They  could  even  carry  diseases  to  your  fish,  they  are  no.1  killers  of  people  then  why  not  fish?
 And  after  you  squat  them,  you  are  left  with  just  a  tiny  crumble  of  tissues.  Also,  consider  what  they  eat  for  a  living?
 Blood,  maybe  your  blood.  Are  you  gonna  make  your  betta  a  vampire?  Chuckle
Vicky01
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:53 pm Post subject: Re: Feeding mosquitoes to bettas Reply with quote

Ashwin,

I  should  have  clarified.  I  swat  the  mosquitoes  while  they  are  in  mid-flight!   Chuckle  

If  a  mosquito  swatted  in  mid-flight  doesn't  die  due  to  internal  trauma,  you  get  a  stunned  mosquito  that  will  live  through  the  night.  And  the  next  day,  you  have  live  food  to  feed  your  fish.

I  think  mosquitoes'  main  food  is  plant  sap.  You're  right,  mosquitoes  do  live  in  some  very  filthy  places.  But  the  ones  that  I  catch  are  mostly  residents  of  a  very  large  almond  tree  and  its  neighbors  that  grow  right  outside  my  house.

I'm  also  on  the  lookout  for  other  live  foods.  Do  let  me  know  if  you  have  any  suggestions.

Vicky
ajha
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:08 pm Post subject: Re: Feeding mosquitoes to bettas Reply with quote

Mosquito  can  be  good  food.
 And  regarding  them  to  be  vectors  of  disease  you  have  to  take  chance,  however  as  they  are  moving  around  they  seem  to  be  healthy.  most  of  them  must  be  females  in  search  of  food/blood.
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:33 pm Post subject: Re: Feeding mosquitoes to bettas Reply with quote

Umm,  I  dont  think  you  get  sick  when  you  get  stung  by  a  sick  mosquito.  Its  the  germs  which  are  on  it,  they  dont  attack  the  mosquito  but  they  can  pass  on  to  other  things  and  make  them  sick.
SuPro
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:34 pm Post subject: Re: Feeding mosquitoes to bettas Reply with quote

Thumb Up   well  i  feed  'em  all  the  time  to  my  angels,  panchax,  betta
kame
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:26 pm Post subject: Re: Feeding mosquitoes to bettas Reply with quote

Hi  Vicky,

When  I  changed  the  food  from  artemia  to  musquito  larvae  for  my  fighters,  they  suffered  from  bloat.  I  fed  them  more  quantity   thot  could  be  the  reason,  be  careful.

-Kamesh
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Betta Bitten and other Labyrinths All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: