190. Guest
191. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,881

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Wht all to keep in mind before buyin FH?Mario,Luigi pics pg5
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Wht all to keep in mind before buyin FH?Mario,Luigi pics pg5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Cichlids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick993
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:22 pm Post subject: Wht all to keep in mind before buyin FH?Mario,Luigi pics pg5 Reply with quote

I  think  im  next  on  to  buying  a  FH!
 after  my  loss  of  my  Arogorn(my  aro),  my  Girl  has  decided  to  get  me  a  Baby  FH  Surprised  seeing  me  grief  stricken  Sad  :p   Drinking  
 so  i  dont  think  in  MYSORE  where  i  stay,  i  dont  get  some  awesome  breeds  here,  with  limited  choice  i  have,  how  can  i  choose  a  good  healthy  baby  FH?

Thanks  in  advance!

Last edited by Nick993 on Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
rocky2
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:35 pm Post subject: Re: what all to keep in mind before buying a FH? Reply with quote

depends  on  what  breed  u  want  bye  like  check  the  finnage  should  erect  and  full  ,tail  should  be  round  nice  and  full  plus  u  may  check  for  pearls  and  colour  should  be  deep   fh  should  be  active  further  u  can  go  to  the  forums  like  
 flowerhornrusforum.com  or  flowerhornus.com  and  read  a  bit
nandy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:17 am Post subject: Re: what all to keep in mind before buying a FH? Reply with quote

A  good  FH  must  have  a  nice  KOK  and  must  have  good  pearls  on  the  body..
aquariumer
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:50 am Post subject: Re: what all to keep in mind before buying a FH? Reply with quote

kok  is  not  a  parameter  to  judge  the  health  of  FH  Smile
Kastor48252
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:05 am Post subject: Re: what all to keep in mind before buying a FH? Reply with quote

Sorry  for  your  loss  Nick.

First  of  all,  let  me  tell  you  that  having  a large  south  American  cichlid  in  the  tank,  especially  a  flowerhorn,  is  a  great  stressbuster.  These  guys  overflow  with  personality.  It's  like  having  a  puppy  in  your  tank.  So  the  decision  to  buy  a  flowerhorn  is  commendable.

What  features  to  look  for  depend  on  what  type  of  flowerhorn  you  like.

Commonly  available  strains  in  India  are:
 -Blue  Dragon  Zhenzhou   sold  as  'local  flowerhorn'.
 -Red  Dragon  Zhenzhou  sold  as  'red  dragon'.
 -Zhenzhoumalau  /  Indomalau  /  Indozhenzhou  sold  as  'pearl  flowerhorn'.
 -Thai  Silk
 -Faders  of  the  above  strains  sold  as  'albino  flowerhorns'
 -Short  bodied  variants  of  the  above  strains.
 -Hormone  enhanced  and  visco-injected  individuals  of  the  above  strains  sold  as  'Humpy  Head  Flowerhorn'  /  'Monkey  Head  Flowerhorn'  /  'Imported  Flowerhorn'  (  These  are  fish  ranging  from  2"  to  4"  with  a  large   disproportionate  kok  with  a  4  to  5  figure  price  tag.  Please  avoid  buying  these  if  possible.  )

You  will  be  lucky  if  you  can  find  the  rarer  strains  of:
 -Kamfa  variants
 -Kamfamalau  variants
 -Golden  Monkey  /  Kamalau  Variants

Lookup  the  abovementioned  FH  types  in  google  images,  youtube  and  in  the  masterpiece  galleries  of  aquatic  forums  and  choose  the  strain  of  your  liking.

Observe  the  fish  for  adequate  amount  of  time  before  choosig  one.  Be  it  any  strain,  the  individual  fish  should  have  the  following  features:
 -Good  colouration  (  inclusive  of  distribution  and  intensity  of  base  colour,  flowerline,  secondary  colour  and  pearling  )
 -Good  bodyform  (  good  symmetry  and  a  greater  depth/length  ratio  )
 -Erect,  flowing  finnage  and  a  open,  non-drooping  and  relatively  broad  tail.  
 -Active  and  responsive  personality  and  should  feed  readily.
 -If  the  babies  are  lesser  than  1.5",  as  a  rule,  go  for  the  largest,  fattest  and  most  dominant  one.  
 -If  you  have  a  friend  who  is  experienced  in  Flowerhornkeeping  or  if  a  local  experienced  IAH  member  is  available,  you  can  take  him/her  along  to  help  you  in  choosing  the  right  fish.
 -If  you  can  take  a  snap/vid,  post  it  here  so  that  we  can  help  you  in  choosing  the  best  of  the  lot.

Please  don't  consider  head  /  kok  size  as  a  parameter  of  good  quality.  You  will  get  scammed  by  some  LFS  thug  if  you  go  kok  hunting  specifically.
 Kok  develops  with  age.  It  is  desirable  but  not  essential.

Whatever  fish  you  choose,  give  him  atleast  50  gallons  of  water.  Keep  him  in  a  bareborrom  with  adequate  lighting  and  filtrtion.  Give  him  good  quality  pellet  food  on  demand  (  No  livefeeding  please  )  and  a  personal  level  of  care.

At  the  end  of  the  day,  whatever  fish  you  choose,  it  will  guaranteedly  give  you  satisfaction  and  a  reason  to  smile.

All  the  very  best  and  welcome  to  the  gang.   Thumb Up
Nick993
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:06 pm Post subject: Re: what all to keep in mind before buying a FH? Reply with quote

Thanks!

and  thanks  a  lot  kastor!

The  thing  here  in  mysore,  its  very  difficult  to  get  a  nice  FH.
 And  i  dont  have  that  much  money  to  buy  a  well  grown  one  with  hump  or  KOK.

so  i  m  buying  a  juvi  aorund  1.5  inches  or  so.

Keeping  all  the  points  u  have  just  mentioned,
 here  in  the  LFS  they  have  juvi  FH's  in  one  single  tank,  they  have  all  been  fighting  and  one  seems  dominent  and  shining,  has  nice  strains,  shines  to  the  light.  it  is  very  active.  
 the  LFS  guy  told  me  that  there  is  NO  gaurantee  of  the  KOK  or  HUMP  to  appear  in  that  thought.since  its  a  CHEAP  variety.(very  cheap  indeed,not  that  costly,  around  XXXbucks)  but  that  ONE  fish  caught  me..  im  planning  to  buy  it..what  do  u  say?
 but  as  far  i  know,  if  i  provide  the  fish  with  good  water  and  food,  it  WILL  Surely  have  a  nice  KOK.
   :thumb:

Do  not  post  prices  in  the  forum.
Kastor48252
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:13 pm Post subject: Re: what all to keep in mind before buying a FH? Reply with quote

Go  for  it.  Take  good  care  of  the  little  guy.

The  money  factor  apart,  always  go  for  a  juvie.  You  don't  want  to  miss  the  fun  in  raising  it.  You  share  a  special  father-son/daughter-like  bond  with  the  fish  when  you  have  raised  it  from  a  juvenile  stage.  Due  to  this  bond,  even  an  averagely  developed  fish  appears  like  a  masterpiece  to  you.  

In  my  experience,  by  2  years  of  age,  even  a  flatheaded  flowerhorn  gets  a  kok,  however  small.  But  it  is  the  coloration,  health  status  and  personality  that  matter  in  the  end.  Think  of  the  kok  as  a  bonus.  Don't  expect  it  all  the  time.  That  way,  if  your  fish  doesn't  develop  a  satisfactory  kok  you  won't  lose  interest  in  raising  him  and  if  he  develops  a  kok,  you  feel  like  the  luckiest  guy  in  the  world.
Nick993
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:25 pm Post subject: Re: what all to keep in mind before buying a FH? Reply with quote

IM  gonna  get  him  morrow!  Very Happy
 u  are  absolutely  right,  it  depends  on  how  happily  and  healthily  i  raise  him  and  take  care  of  him!
 One  of  of  the  members  IAH  have  also  PM'ed  me  about  getting  me  a  FH,lets  see  i  might  have  two  Smile
 Thanks  a  lot  kastor  Smile
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:18 pm Post subject: Re: what all to keep in mind before buying a FH? Reply with quote

Nick993  wrote  (View  Post):                
 One  of  of  the  members  IAH  have  also  PM'ed  me  about  getting  me  a  FH,lets  see  i  might  have  two  Smile

Now  I  have  got  the  heebie  geebies!!!!!
 An  "IAH"  member  PM'ed  you  about  getting  a  FH  Chuckle  Guy  Nick993,  we  do  not  endorse  anybody  selling  or  buying!  Kindly  keep  IAH  out  of  your  business  dealings!

Regards,
Kastor48252
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:41 pm Post subject: Re: what all to keep in mind before buying a FH? Reply with quote

Don't  blindly  trust  anybody  just  because  he/she  is  an  IAH  member.
 Rather  you  should  be  all  the  more  cautious  when  you  deal  on  the  internet.  In  the  LFS,  atleast  you  get  to  choose  your  fish  after  careful  observation.
 Verify  all  the  details  provided  to  you.  Talk  to  the  dealer  on  the  phone.  Ask  for  a  video  and  pics  of  the  fish  being  offered  for  sale.  Deal  only  if  you  are  fully  assured  and  are  ready  to  take  full  responsibility  and  if  the  sum  involved  isn't  very  high.
Nick993
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:05 am Post subject: Re: what all to keep in mind before buying a FH? Reply with quote

rasikanayak  wrote  (View  Post):                

Nick993  wrote  (View  Post):                

Now  I  have  got  the  heebie  geebies!!!!!
 An  "IAH"  member  PM'ed  you  about  getting  a  FH  Chuckle  Guy  Nick993,  we  do  not  endorse  anybody  selling  or  buying!  Kindly  keep  IAH  out  of  your  business  dealings!

Regards,                

Sorry  nayak,
 we  are  not  doing  any  kind  of  business   Chuckle  
 since  im  from  blore,  he  will  just  getit  for  me  :/
 I  appreciate  the  help  i  get  from  iah  .  thats  it.  Smile
 nothing  more  ..
Nick993
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:07 am Post subject: Re: what all to keep in mind before buying a FH? Reply with quote

Kastor48252  wrote  (View  Post):                
Don't  blindly  trust  anybody  just  because  he/she  is  an  IAH  member.
 Rather  you  should  be  all  the  more  cautious  when  you  deal  on  the  internet.  In  the  LFS,  atleast  you  get  to  choose  your  fish  after  careful  observation.
 Verify  all  the  details  provided  to  you.  Talk  to  the  dealer  on  the  phone.  Ask  for  a  video  and  pics  of  the  fish  being  offered  for  sale.  Deal  only  if  you  are  fully  assured  and  are  ready  to  take  full  responsibility  and  if  the  sum  involved  isn't  very  high.                

thanks  kastor!

i  will  ask  for  the  pics.
 its  just  the  person  is  getting  it  for  me,  not  even  sure,whether  he  will  :/
Nick993
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:08 am Post subject: Re: what all to keep in mind before buying a FH? Reply with quote

sticking  to  the  topic  now,  i  got  this  juvi  FH,what  do  u  guys  suggest  me  the  tank  size  for  this  guy/girl?  he/she  is  around  1.5".  will  post  a  pic  soon
random2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:28 pm Post subject: Re: what all to keep in mind before buying a FH? Reply with quote

Probably  this  is  where  you  are  going  wrong.  Ideal  way  to  go  about  is  to  first  get  the  tank,  filter  etc.  Get  it  running  so  that  the  tank  is  mature  enough  to  hold  some  bioload  by  the  time  you  get  the  fish.

Instinctive  buying  can  prove  expensive  (if  not  money,  it  might  be  in  terms  of  lives  of  fish)  in  this  hobby.
Nick993
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:14 pm Post subject: Re: what all to keep in mind before buying a FH? Reply with quote

Deepak  ,

i  already  have  a  2x1x1  ft  tank  running  with  the  filter  on..with  1  or  2  mollies.

just  asked  what  i  would  now,  and  in  the  course  of  time  Smile
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Cichlids All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: