192. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,803

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Self Introduction
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Self Introduction
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72 ... 94, 95, 96  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> New Members and Beginners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ravabi
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:14 pm Post subject: Re: Self Introduction Reply with quote

Hi  everyone

I  am  Ravi  Rangarajan,  26  your  Old  doctorate  student  at  Indian  Institute  of  Science,  Bangalore.  My  Ph.D  work  involved  some  behavioral  monitoring   of  land  snails  (Giant  African  snails)  and  was  using  a  50L  glass  aquarium  for  them.  I  am  done  with  those  studies  and  thought  I  will  start  off  with  fishes  (some  2  months  back)  as  an  hobby.  Now  I  am  totally  into  the  hobby  (spending  more  time  reading  about  fish  keeping  than  research  papers  for  my  thesis).  

Found  this  site  and  was  totally  happy  to  join  it.  I  have  1  Blue  Gourami,  2  mollies,  3  skirt  tetras  and  1  Buenos  Aries  tetra,  and  5  Rosy  Barbs  in  the  2ft  aquarium  and  finally,  the  black  molly  already  seems  to  be  gravid.

Very  excited  to  be  here.

Cheers

Ravi   Cheer
VNK224
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:16 am Post subject: Re: Self Introduction Reply with quote

hi,  

I  am  Naresh  Kumar  V.  i  am  a  fresh  graduate  and  also  looking  out  for  a  job  (Wish  me  good  luck!)  :lol:  :lol:.  

It  all  started  after  seeing  one  of  my  friends  Betta  (  it  was  a  blue  one)  after  that  I  feel  different  about  fishes.  

At  this  time  i  don't  have  any  tank,  but  working  on  it.  Once  i  get  a  job  ill  set  my  first  tank.  

I  dont  know  how  I  found  this  site,  but  i  feel  easy  to  learn  the  art  of  fish-keeping.  

As  i  am  busy  searching  for  job,  i  cant  do  my  research  right  now,  it  would  be  helpful  if  some  one  can  tell  me  what  would  be  a  good  start.  

And  i  want  my  first  fish  to  be  a  Blue  betta  

that's  about  me  and  my  thought  

thank  u  all  for  reading
greybit1
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:26 pm Post subject: Re: Self Introduction Reply with quote

Hi  IAH  Members,

This  is  Senthil  from  Bangalore,  working  as  software  professional.  

I  used  to  grow  fishes  from  my  childhood  onwards.  But  none  of  my  fishes  were  with  me  for  more  than  a  month.  

I  have  found  this  forum  has  more  useful  info  about  the  science  of  maintaining  aquarium.  

Currently  I  am  having  an  aquarium  with  below  specification:

Size  :  4ft*2ft*2ft
 Glass:  12mm
 Water:  RO  water  from  Aquasure.  [As  my  borewell  water  has  very  high  level  of  salt  content]
 Filters:  2  sponge  filters,  power  filter  Boyu  SP  1000A
 Accessories:   Boyu  U9900  dual  vent  airpump.
 Fishes  :  TBD.

Foto:

[img]https://picasaweb.google.com/102449623406232027243/422Aqua#5672875297148021010[/img]

Regards,
 Senthil
 Greybit.aqua  [at]  gmail  [dot]  com
aquaria
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:23 pm Post subject: Re: Self Introduction Reply with quote

HI  all,
   i  am  Radha  a  homemaker  and  a  part  time  jewelry  designer  and  of  course  a  fish  freak.Started  with  a  small  goldfish  tank  8  years  back  and  slowly  upgraded  to  planted  tank  with  angels  successfully  grown  for  4  years  and   now  i  own  a  ADA  planted  tank  with  tetras  and  few  other   small   fishes  .After  exploring  so  much  and  learning  details  about  the   marine  tank  ,now  i  have  setup  a  4x2x2  tank  FOWLR  tank  going  good  for  the  past  2months.Learning  the  good  and  bad  about  marine  setup  its  really  wonderful  to  see  the  underwater  world  creatures  have  such  a  beauty  for  themselves.
 Hope  to  see  more  interesting  things  in  the  upcoming  time.  Smile
parthapratim22
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:38 pm Post subject: Re: Self Introduction Reply with quote

Hi  Ravi,  Naresh,  Senthil  and  Radha  welcome  to  IAH...

@Ravi:  Do  share  some  of  your  work  we  will  enjoy...

@Naresh:  Good  luck...do  some  study  in  IAH  and  in  internet  you  will  get  enough  information  on  start  up...

@Senthil:  follow  what  our  experts  are  saying  your  tank  and  fishes  will  be  fine,  best  of  luck...

@Radha:  Hope  to  see  you  active  as  you  are  a  "fish  freak"  like  many  of  us,  do  share  your  ADA  planted  tank  also...best  of  luck  with  your  Marine  setup...
invinci
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:44 pm Post subject: Re: Self Introduction Reply with quote

Hello  Everybody..
 I  am  Prakash/invinci..  Smile  from  Mum..
 I  just  entered  into  fish  keeping  hobby..
 i  am  really  glad  that  I've  found  out  this  site  which  is  exclusively  for  Indians..
 cause  equipment  and  stocking  is  pretty  much  hard  to  find  here  in  India  as  compared  to  some  other  countries  that  too  without  proper  quality..
 so  being  part  of  this  community  will  be  a  big  help  by  taking  quality  advise  of  fellow  members  and  recommendations...
 hope  you  all  accept  me  and  let  me  be  a  part  of  this  forum..
 have  a  great  day  everybody..

My  Current  Setup:
 21G  long(30*12*14)..
 Stocking:  6  Neon  Rainbow  Fish,  1  Female  Blue  Ram(Had  Couple  with  couple  of  spawn  but  male  died,  so  she  is  alone  now  Sad  ),  2  Platy  Fish..
janilgraphics
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:06 pm Post subject: Re: Self Introduction Reply with quote

hi  everybody,
         I  am  Viral  from  Ahmedabad.  I  am  graphic  designer  by  proffession.  I  got  interested  in  aquascaping  by  watching  amano  aquascapes  on  youtube.
         With  no  knowlege  of  aquascaping,  i  installed  a  dirt  aquarium  at  my  office  with  lots  of  plants.
         It  is  now  almost  2  months  old.  Some  plants  are  flourishing  and  some  are  dying.  pl.  kindly  suggest  any  changes.  Hoping  for  suggestions  and  sharing  of  experience  from  u  all.
janilgraphics
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:11 pm Post subject: Re: Self Introduction Reply with quote

janilgraphics  wrote  (View  Post):                
hi  everybody,
         I  am  Viral  from  Ahmedabad.  I  am  graphic  designer  by  proffession.  I  got  interested  in  aquascaping  by  watching  amano  aquascapes  on  youtube.
         With  no  knowlege  of  aquascaping,  i  installed  a  dirt  aquarium  at  my  office  with  lots  of  plants.
         It  is  now  almost  2  months  old.  Some  plants  are  flourishing  and  some  are  dying.  pl.  kindly  suggest  any  changes.  Hoping  for  suggestions  and  sharing  of  experience  from  u  all.                
benzito_betta
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:29 pm Post subject: Re: Self Introduction Reply with quote

Welcome  Viral,  Prakash
JOKER29
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:32 pm Post subject: Re: Self Introduction Reply with quote

Hi,

I  am  Prajwal  i  am  a  student  from  bangalore.
 I  have  been  in  this  hobby  for  almost  a  year  now.
 I  have  six  tanks  and  11  fishes  out  which  2  are  flowerhorns,  5  male  betta  (  2HM,  1SD,  1VT,  1CT),  and  4  female  betta  (3CT,  1HM)  and  have  a  tank  with  a  week  old  HM  betta  fry  (  i  need  microworm  if  someone  has  it  plz  let  me  know  ).  
 I  am  glad  i  found  this  site,  looking  forward  to  the  knowledge  i  can  get  from  here.

Last edited by JOKER29 on Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
nandy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:39 pm Post subject: Re: Self Introduction Reply with quote

Welcome  Prajwal..IAH  is  a  place  where  you  can  gain  immense  knowledge  on  everything  related  to  the  hobby,,
 Wish  you  a  great  stay  on  IAH
Romi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:12 pm Post subject: Re: Self Introduction Reply with quote

Hi  everybody,  

This  is  a  bit  of  an  essay  but  I  guess  the  old  timers  will  relate  to  it.  Sorry,  i  have  been  lurking  on  IAH  for  three  years  now,  and  only  now  have  got  around  to  introducing  myself.  But  as  you  can  see,  my  guilt  has  made  me  wordy!

My  name  is  Romi  (Abhimanyu  Veer  Singh,  officially)  and  i  am  an  avid  planted  tank  and  fish  hobbyist  in  my  thirties.  i  write  content  for  the  syndication  wing  of  a  national  publication  house.   i  live  in  Rohini,  Delhi,  now.  I  had  an  aquarium  in  at  home  when  I  was  in  KG!  (Kindergarten).  My  dad,  a  former  army  officer,  lived  in  Binaguri,  a  cantonment  town  in  West  Bengal,  and  as  i  now  realise,  we  were  close  to  Kolkata  and  got  infected  with  the  Bengali  enthusiasm  for  aquariums.  There  have  been  Bengali  fish  and  planted  tank  hobbyists  from  very  early  times,  the  50s  i  think.  That  aquarium  was  my  father's  of  course,  but  when  he  was  away,  with  my  mother's  co-operation  i  used  to  take  a  net  and  take  a  fish  out  and  take  one  close  look!  They  looked  so  wonderful,  so  colourful,  so  fast,  so  alluring  to  the  little  boy  i  was  then).  My  father  had  Lionhead  Goldfish,  red  platys,  swordtails,  silver  angelfish,  and  even  what  i  now  think  was  a  long  red  shrimp.

I  got  my  first  fish  container,  not  tank,  when  I  saw  fish  again  in  the  Principal’s  office  at   St.  Pauls,  Jaipur,  in  Class  III.  I  got  my  dad  to  ask  the  principal  for  the  fish  seller’s  address.  He  got  me  2  tiger  barbs  and  two  male  swordtails.  I  kept  them  in  a  large  plastic  jar,  and  one  survived  some  time.  He  also  got  me  a  plant,  but  it  was  Ulva  (sea  lettuce)  from  an  Indian  shore!  Ha  ha.  Naturally,  it  didn’t  survive  too  long!

The  next  fish  I  got  was  when  we  moved  to  Srinagar  and  dad  got  me  some  Kissing  Fish  and  Blue  Gourami.  I  caught  my  own  Cherry  Barbs  in  a  Shikara  cruising  the  Dal  lake,  and  my  own  plants,  one  of  which  I  still  remember  fondly,  potamogeton  crispus.  I  was  in  the  Vth  standard  now  and  I  had  several  books,  (the  first  one  purchased  when  I  was  in  Ist),  could  identify  my  fish  and  my  plants  many  times.  Dal  lake  was  full  of  what  I  now  know  is  Hornwort  and  a  floater,  Salvinia,  besides  my  favourite,  potamogenton  crispus  (curly  pondweed).  Plants  choked  my  container.  I  kept  Rosy  barbs  I  caught  while  visiting  the  sacred  stream  flowing  by  the  famous  Hindu  Temple  in  Kashmir,  Kheer  Bhawani.  I  remember  my  fish  to  this  day,  she  was  cute  and  ate  dry  food.  

My  first  tank  was  a  2-footer  in  class  VIII  in  Bangalore.  There  Dad  was  in  the  CMP  Center  and  School.  I  used  to  go  Russel  Market,  a  large  wooden  building  with  multiple  shops  built  on  three  floors  i  think.  I  was  in  the  8th  standard.  There  was  this  very  clever  Muslim  guy  there,  who  used  to  make  cross  faces  when  I  pulled  his  best  looking  guppy  out  of  hundreds  of  less  attractive  ones.  I  refused  to  accept  second  best!  My  half-black  guppies  bred,  I  had  Egg  fish  (a  form  of  goldfish),  black  moors  (they  were  rare  then),  an  oranda,  two  bettas  (yes,  one  was  a  coward  so  they  both  survived),  native  loaches.  i  also  got  some  Tilapia  from  a  park  fountain  close  to  Bangalore  Fish  Aquarium,  where  i  used  to  go  every  month!  

I  got  a  new  two  footer  after  I  started  working  and,  thirteen  years  later,  I  find  myself  enjoying  fish  and  plants  as  much  as  ever.  I  raise  live  food  when  I  can,  enjoy  tanks  that  need  minimal  upkeep  and  stay  green  and  healthy  because,  incredibly,  in  this  knowledge-intensive  hobby,  even  that  is  possible!  I  have  never  gone  hi-tech  and  personal  challenges  currently  ensure  I  don’t.  Very Happy  Including  the  family  fish  tank  when  I  was  in  KG,  I  can  lay  claim  to  around  20  years  of  fish  keeping  now.  When  I  read  Diana  Walstad's  book,  I  realized  my  tanks  have  followed  that  pattern  all  along,  gravel  plus  soil,  fish  made  to  feel  at  home  undercover  of  plants,  and  all.  All  my  discarded  fish  tank  water  goes  into  potted  plants,  i  try  and  waste  NOTHING.  So  this  hobby  blends  seamlessly  with  my  love  of  sustainable  living,  minimizing  carbon  footprints,  gardening,  mother  nature  and  conservation  of  all  natural  rescouces  to  whatever  degree  possible.  

Right  now,  I  have  around  30  plants  species  (keep  losing  some,  regaining  others),  synodontis  eupterus,  neons,  dwarf  cichlids,  a  beloved  spoilt  angel,  gouramis,  two  plants  planted,  three  thanks  spare.  I  am  looking  for  killifish  and  ancistrus  so  that  i  can  enjoy  breeding  them,  and  I  know  I  will  never  run  out  of  more  things  to  learn  and  enjoy.  

I  am  thankful  to  friends  who  have  helped  me  enjoy  my  hobby,  friends  and  well  wishers  like  Gokul  MC,  Shriyans  Arnav,  Nishant  Datta,  Tirthankar,  Chattopadhyaya,  kartikeya  kohli,  and  of  course,  last  but  not  least,  our  Rajiv  Scorpio  Sharma.  Half  the  fun  is  spending  time  with  fellow  hobbyists,  learning  from  not  only  my  mistakes  but  theirs,  i  guess!

Good  to  be  here!

Best  wishes,
 Romi
rishialpy
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:47 am Post subject: Re: Self Introduction Reply with quote

Hi  im  Rishi   from  kollam  kerala  im  a  distributor  for  Vodafone(telecom)  in  kollam  i  was  into  this  hobby  from  my  schooldays  but  recently  im  seriously  into  it  ,  i  have  a  8"  glass  tank  and  my  courtyard  if  filled  with  water  but  closed  now  due  to  lack  of  filtration

Hope  my  queries  will  be  taken  care
Annu
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:15 pm Post subject: Re: Self Introduction Reply with quote

Hi  Everyone,

I  am  Syed  Anees  Ahmed  (Annu)  from  Bangalore  a  financial  analyst.

I  am  into  this  hobby  since  my  childhood  but  had  to  discontinue  due  to  academics.

Now  I  am  back  and  have  got  Saimese  Bettas  4  males  8  females,  guppies  and  mollies.

Have  a  week  old  betta  mollies  and  guppy  fries  and  badly  looking  out  for  microworms  for  Betta  fries.

I  am  glad  to  be  a  part  of  IAH  and  looking  forward  for  all  the  support

Regards
Sekhargc
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:02 am Post subject: Re: Self Introduction Reply with quote

Hi  all,
 I  am  Sekhar  (Chandra  Sekhar)  from  Hyderabad.  i  am  a  post  grad  in  Agriculture  and  working  with  farmers  on  sustainable  agriculture.  My  entry  into  fish  keeping  was  accidental.  i  was  growing  water  gardens  (growing  lotus  and  water  lillies  in  containers  in  my  balcony)  and  to  stop  mosquito  menace,  i  opted  for  keeping  fish.  thus  i  was  introduced  to  this  wonderful  hobby.  i  am  not  into  the  glass  aquariums  for  the  time  being.  i  try  to  simulate  the  natural  pond  conditions  with  tank  silt,  plants  and  trying  to  create  an  ecosystem  in  it.

my  search  for  fish  that  eat  mosquito  larvae,  ended  me  up  with  mollies  and  guppies.  i  love  to  visit  the  aqua  shops  and  my  curiosity  on  fishes  increases  every  time  i  go  there.  currently  i  have  mollies  (orange,  silver  and  black),  sword  tails  (red),  sucker  fish  (pleco),  guppies  and  female  bettas.  i  have  three  containers  (<40>36  litre  capacity  and  one  >20  litre  capacity)  in  which  i  am  raising  these  fishes  in  the  balcony.  i  am  a  new  entrant  and  just  30-45  days  old.  till  now  my  guppies  have  given  off  springs  (3  times).  till  now  there  were  7  fish  deaths  of  which  2  were  avoidable  (jumped  out  of  the  container  and  committed  suicide)  and  two  were  delivery  accidents  (after  giving  birth  they  died).
 my  plants  include  water  lilly,  lotus,  valisnaria,  cabomba  moss,  fox  tail  moss,  hydrilla  and  another  plant  i  forgot  the  name.  i  shared  some  of  the  young  ones  (finding  new  home  for  guppy  offspring)  with  my  friends.

after  looking  at  the  young  ones,  my  interest  grew  in  breeding.  till  now  i  have  the  fries  from  livebearers  and  looking  forward  to  egg  layers  (not  yet  initiated).  i  want  to  enrich  my  knowledge  on  fishes,  breeding  techniques  and  other  info.

regards
 Sekhar
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  New Members and Beginners All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72 ... 94, 95, 96  Next
Page 71 of 96

Jump to: