212. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,801

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Huge DIY tank
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Huge DIY tank
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Other Equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aarya
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:47 am Post subject: Huge DIY tank Reply with quote

Hi  folks,  Very Happy  

I  want  to  build  one  9  ft  Length  x  2  ft  Breadth  x  4  ft  Height  tank   Drinking  .  I  even  know  that  4  ft  height  is  a  bit  weird  and  also  unusual   dimension.  I  am  even  most  concerned  regarding  the  safety  part  of  it.  Could  anybody  suggest  me  about  what  is  the  glass  thickness  I  should  use  to  fabricate  the  same.  I  am  in  a  dilemma  either  to  use  12  mm  toughened  glass  or  19  mm  float  glass  or  3rd  option  yet  to  think  /what  to  do?  Any  urls  or  photographs  would  be  of  great  help.  This  assignment  of  mine  reminds  me  Madan  sir's  Epoxy  tank  had  seen  long  ago   Rock On     .  But  I  am  planning  for  all  sided  glass  tank  as  of  now  to  my  home  at  Sagara,  Karnataka  here  hardly  I  can  find  any  experienced  guys.  All  I  have  to  do  is  DIY.  Hence,  need  some  technical  Assistance  For  instance:  How  many  supports  I  should  give  at  top/bottom/  corner.....  Confused  Is  their  any  technique  to  follow  to  minimize  air  gaps  in  between  two  glass  joints  while  gumming  ?  .....  

With  warm  regards
 +919964142664
 Aarya   Smile
Rohitskapoor
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:16 am Post subject: Re: Huge DIY tank Reply with quote

thats  huge  dude...all  the  best...make  it  a  journal....sorry  not  informative  enough  to  answer  your  questions...but  good  luck...  Smile  

Regards,
 Rohit
Rahul_Discus
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:49 am Post subject: Re: Huge DIY tank Reply with quote

Hi  Aarya

Building  such  a  big  tank  obviously  you  should  consider  the  thickness  of  glass

and  you  should  have  some  expert  who  already  have  build  this  king  size  tank

otherwise  there  is  a  chances  of  leakage.

My  experience  says  that  18  mm  is  quite  ok  but  you  have  to  give  side  support

from  both  the  sides  to  hold  the  water  pressure  .

Thanks  Rahul
 Bangalore
aarya
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:02 pm Post subject: Re: Huge DIY tank Reply with quote

Hi  Rohitskapoor,  thanks  for  the  wish  ''A  journal''  sure,  why  not.  Before  that  I  need  some  kick  start  for  this  with  all  confidence  and  info  Smile  

Hi  Rahul,     thanks  for  your  suggestion.  Smile   I  need  to  make  sure  that  either  it's  better  to  use  12  mm  or  15  mm  (toughened)  since  the  costing  for  sq  ft.  comes  around  nearly  250/-  and  500/-  respectively.  Even  the  whole  costing  polishing  I  need  to  work  it  out.  The  glass  costing  is  coming  around  40,000  +  gumming  extra  and  allied  cost  for  setting  up.Ordinary  19  mm  is  also  250  approx  but  I  asked  the  glass  dealer  he  is  saying  that  12  mm  toughened  comes  5  times  stronger.  In-spite  of  all  these  I  personally  thought  19  mm  would  be  better.  Since,  I  will  get  lot  of  surface  for  silicone  to  get  adhere  to  other  surface.  Please  correct  me  if  I  am  wrong.  Most  importantly,  supports  must  be  given.  Any  info  on  this  I  would  be  grateful.  How  many  and  at  what  intervals  is  again  a  question.

Does  anyone  knows  water  pressure  calculations?  I  am  only  aware  that  a  cubic  ft.  contains  28  liters  approx  28  kilos.  I  want  to  execute  it  perfectly.  Hence,  I  want  to  know  the  core  of  this  before  start  up.  Otherwise,  I  may  end  up  doing  some  mistakes.

Expecting  some  good  suggestions  on  this.  

Best  regards   Smile
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:06 pm Post subject: Re: Huge DIY tank Reply with quote

First  of  all,  Best  of  Luck!
 You  are  gonna  need  lots  of  it  Chuckle  

Its  a  a  general  practice,  that  after  every  36"  there  is  a  bracing  bar  across  the  width.  I  would  go  with  19mm  glass.  Have  you  considered  visiting  shops  that  make  acrylic  stuff?
 If  the  LFS,  cant  make  the  size  of  tank  you  want,  maybe  you  and  some  carpenters  can  join  forces.  I  wouldnt  suggest  continuing  on  this  project  alone.
   Smile
sreeni_mysore
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:34 pm Post subject: Re: Huge DIY tank Reply with quote

http://www.theaquatools.com/building-your-aquarium
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:34 pm Post subject: Re: Huge DIY tank Reply with quote

Hi  Aarya,

I  would  suggest  19mm  glass.  Your  tank  holds  2038  Lts  of  Water.  So  2038  KG  +  Substrate  (If  use  any).  Hence  it  is  better  to  go  for  19mm  rather  than  12mm.  Even  if  the  12mm  glass  is  toughened,  I  doubt  if  it  would  be  able  to  hold  the  water  pressure  as  your  tank  height  is  4  feet.  The  water  pressure  at  the  top  would  be  very  very  high.

You  could  provide  the  bracing  every  3  feet  as  suggested  by  Ashwin.  Also  run  bracing  at  the  bottom  of  the  tank  in  length  and  breadth  wise.  Run  the  bracing  to  the  entire  length  of  the  tank  and  3  feet  gap  in  breadth  wise.

More  over  as  you  have  mentioned  19mm  would  give  you  more  surface  area  for  the  silicon  glue.  Make  sure  that  you  use  good  quality  silicon  glue  (Dow  Corning).

Lifting  a  9  feet  x  4  feet  19mm  glass  would  be  a  very  tough  job.  You  will  have  to  have  more  man  power  to  lift  it!!!!
abhis9
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:36 pm Post subject: Re: Huge DIY tank Reply with quote

Don't  try  to  do  this  project  alone.........it's  a  huge  one  ...take  some  expertise  with  you...

Best  of  Luck........
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:33 pm Post subject: Re: Huge DIY tank Reply with quote

If  this  is  your  first  time  building  a  tank  then  I  dont  think  its  a  good  idea
Nick993
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:49 pm Post subject: Re: Huge DIY tank Reply with quote

best  of  luck!
 would  surely  need  a  Concrete  Bottom!
 i  would  suggest  u  go  for  a  pond  instead..
Vicky01
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:36 pm Post subject: Re: Huge DIY tank Reply with quote

I  second  Mortis.  If  you  don't  like  that  suggestion,  then  go  with  what  Nick993  suggests.  We're  talking  about  a  lot  of  water  here.  Even  a  minor  leak  could  quickly  turn  into  a  major  disaster.

If  you  do  decide  to  go  ahead,  plan  it  to  perfection  before  you  take  another  step  forward.

I  hope  you  understand  that  I  don't  mean  to  sound  discouraging--a  large  tank  is  everyone's  dream.  All  I'm  saying  is  that  you  should  get  it  right  on  the  drawing-board  first.  

All  the  best!   Thumbs Up  

Vicky
VNK224
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:56 pm Post subject: Re: Huge DIY tank Reply with quote

Y  not  in  acrylic?   Smile  

i  have  seen  this  long  back  it  might  help.

Link
aarya
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:58 pm Post subject: Re: Huge DIY tank Reply with quote

Hi  Ashwin,  thanks  for  the  wish.  Smile   Do  you  have  any  idea  about  who  makes  acrylic  tanks?  If  yes,  that  would  be  great.  Ya  I  consider  bracing  both  in  the  top  and  in  the  bottom.  I  am  not  alone  I  need  to  take  4-5  guys  for  assistance.

Hi  Sreeni,  thanks  for  the  link.   

Hi  Josyjames,  thanks  for  the  suggestions.  Cheer   I  would  definitely  consider  all  these  points.  But,  heard  that  it's  hard  to  get  Dow  Corning  silicon  sealant  now  in  Banglore  and  this  is  what  the  info  I  got  from  a  friend.  Is  it  right?  

Moreover,  I  look  forward  to  hear  about  a  good  quality  sealant  like  Dow  Corning  or  even  better  than  or  at  least  equivalent  in  quality.  Further,  I  am  looking  for  the  sealant  which  takes  maximum  setting  time  this  would  be  good.  Am  I  right?  Since,  larger  the  setting  time  more  precisely  the  silicone  can  be  pasted  uniformly.  

Here  I  have  some  doubts  regarding   Drinking  

1)  Either  to  paste  silicon  on  both  add-hearing  surfaces  or  only  on  a  single  surface  (on  the  glass  which  sits  on  Bottom  one)  and  what  is  the  thickness  of  silicon  to  be  pasted  (Nozzle  should  be  cut  moderately  big)  ?.  Since,  19inch  thickness  for  9  ft  to  affix  one  end  of  silicone  on  the  bottom  glass  means  lot  of  time  and  silicon  too.   

2)  After  paste  is  over  how  should  I  need  to  pressurise  it  from  all  ends?  I  hardly  believe  I  can  tie  it  up  with  thread  to  make  it  firmly  fit  without  creating  any  air  gaps  for  this  size.   Confused  

Hi  Abhis,  thanks  for  wishing  me  luck.  Smile   Yep,  looking  forward  to  meet  some  experts  Bow  before  I  start  and  I  consider  to  clarify  all  sorts  of  doubts  before  starting  this  project  all  at  once.

Hi  Mortis,  point  to  be  noted.  Certainly,  I  do  not  want  to  risk  myself  by  take  up  this  task  of  making  it.  I  am  not  a  beginner.  Have  done  many  tank  till  date  my  biggest  ever  is  6ft  x  2ft  x  2ft  with  12  mm  till  date  Ninja  (with  a  person  for  assistance)  But,  I  agree  that  this  is  unlike  6x2x2  dimention.  At  the  least  4  persons  are  needed  to  assist  while  fabricating.  Thanks  for  your  concern   Thumb Up  

Hi  Nick,  good  suggestion.  I  even  prefer  to  go  for  30  inch  height  concrete  bottom  or  bit  lesser  what  do  you  feel  ?  +  styro  foam  12  inch  thickness  x  2  sheets  before  placing  tank.  I  have  already  2  ponds  which  is  earthen  in  it's  nature  and  covered  with  plastic  tarpel  to  hold  water.  Wink  

Hi  Vicky,  I  agree  completely  safety  first  everything  come  next  Thanks  a  lot  Smile
Severumkid
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:18 am Post subject: Re: Huge DIY tank Reply with quote

Boss,  unless  you  are  very  confident,  do  not  even  think  of  DIYing  this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ravi_737
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:28 pm Post subject: Re: Huge DIY tank Reply with quote

You  might  want  to  check  with  Aquastar  chennai  ...  they  have  a  20  feet  acrylic  tank  running  at  their  showroom  in  Kolathur.
 I  think  there  is  a  thread  somewhere  here  on  IAH  with  the  vidoes  of  the  tank  uploaded.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Other Equipment All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: