198. Guest
199. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,813

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - To spell or not to spell!!!!
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

To spell or not to spell!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmvbab
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:58 pm Post subject: Re: To spell or not to spell!!!! Reply with quote

As  always  Nayak,  a  great  read.  Now,  lets  see  if  it  has  the  desired  effect  Smile
Marc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:25 pm Post subject: Re: To spell or not to spell!!!! Reply with quote

Amazing  story  telling  Nayak......that  too  with  a  punch   Thumb Up  

I  never  knew  there  was  a  writer  below  that  bandana.......  Very Happy
alpha91

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:25 pm Post subject: Re: To spell or not to spell!!!! Reply with quote

Seetharam  wrote  (View  Post):                

OH  ..........  and  one  more  thing,  Short  Form  ,  SMS  Language  etc  etc  may  be  cool  for  school  or  college  but  in  a  matured  forum  like  IAH  or  any  other  forum  for  that  matter  .........  will  not  get  any  brownie  points  !                

This  makes  me  think  of  myself,  when  I  was  a  new  member  here.  I  accept  even  I  have  sometimes  made  spelling  mistakes,  improper  sentence  constructions,  SMS  language.  
 With  time,  observing  posts  by  the  senior  members  and  moderators  correcting  and  urging  people  to  try  and  use  proper  language,  even  I  started  to  type  in  complete,  understandable  and  correctly  spelled  words.
 Yes,  I  do  indulge  in  a  lot  of  SMSing  personally,  and  I  am  sure  all  the  kids  here  like  myself  do  the  same.  But  trust  me,  using  good  language  has  taken  me  a  long  way  in  terms  of  personal  interaction!  
 And  today,  instead  of  getting  used  to  SMS  language  and  using  it  here,  I  am  used  to  typing  full  spellings  in  SMSs.   Smile  

Thanks  for  bringing  this  up  Nayak!  Its  always  great  to  read  your  posts!   Thumb Up
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:02 pm Post subject: Re: To spell or not to spell!!!! Reply with quote

Continued.....

The  second  moral  of  the  story.

It's  not  only  you  who  we  care  about.  We  also  care  about  "IAH"  and  the  members  who  will  be  joining  here  shortly  after  you.  Period!

Many  may  not  be  aware  of  it.  But  when  you  misspell,  you  screw  up  the  data  base.  Here.....Try  this  simple  experiment.

Click  on  the  Forums.

Click  on  the  Search.

Type  Etroplus  canarensis  in  the  space  indicated  by  the  first  arrow.  And  click  on  the  space  indicated  by  the  second  arrow.

This  is  what  you  get.  A  treasure  trove  of  free  authentic  information.  All  meticulously  and  diligently  collected  by  the  hard  work  of  the  senior  members.  Members  who  preceded  you.

Now  just  assume  the  members  who  preceded  you  were  lackadaisical  in  their  attitude  towards  spellings.  They  interpreted  the  spellings  of  the  name's  of  the  fishes  in  any  which  way  they  want!  Continue  with  the  experiment.....

Type  erioplus  canaranseis(just  for  fun)  in  the  space  indicated  by  the  first  arrow.  And  click  on  the  space  indicated  by  the  second  arrow.

And  this  is  what  you  get.

Yes,  Exactly.  You  got  it  right.  You  get  nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!

So  kindly  do  consider  the  person's  following  you,  who  will  learn  from  your  hard  work  and  your  experience.  Do  not  deprive  them  of  a  chance  to  learn  this  great  hobby.

This  post  was  for  members  who  are  fluent  in  English,  yet  tend  to  be  sloppy  with  their  posts.  For  members  who  are  not  fluent........

To  be  continued......

Regards,
abhis9
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:23 pm Post subject: Re: To spell or not to spell!!!! Reply with quote

[quote
 An  Admin  or  a  moderator  corrects  you  because  he  cares  for  you.  He  can  ignore  your  misdemeanor  or  sloppiness  and  be  chummy  chummy  with  you.  But  that  is  not  his  duty.  It's  not  to  pamper  your  weakness,  but  to  ignite  your  strength  that  he  does  his  duty.  Even  at  the  cost  of  being  branded  as  highhanded.  A  thankless  job,  I  tell  you.  Luckily  not  my  problem  as  I  am  only  a  older  newbie,  never  mind  the  green  color  Chuckle  
 [/quote]

Hats  Off  Nayak.........Excellent  one......I  am  1000%  agree  with  you.

But....my  experience  telling  me  "Your  five  fingers  is  not  same"....

Plsease  never  mind,  if  I  said  wrong.
sreeni_mysore
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:29 pm Post subject: Re: To spell or not to spell!!!! Reply with quote

An  interesting  topic  for  discussion.
 My  sole  intention  of  joining  IAH  was  to  learn  /  understand  about  aquarium  fish.
 Am  i  supposed  to  double  check  on  what  i  post.....  well  yes  if  possible.  But  how  often  we  do  .....

If  search  results  are  affected  by  by  wrong  /  bad  English  ,  the  admin  is  free  to  modify  the  content.

I  felt  this  would  be  the  right  thread  to  discuss  one  of  my  IAH  site  improvement  suggestion.
 Please  check  the  proposal  at  
 http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3953&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=345

The  last  topic  about  book  marking.

~Sreeni
diwan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:35 pm Post subject: Re: To spell or not to spell!!!! Reply with quote

Nayak  ,  lovely  post  &  thanks  for  sharing  the  info  with  us  here   Thumb Up  .I  completely  agree  with  you.

It  is  an  eyeopener  for  many  of  us  here  and  look  forward  to  ready  many  such  posts.

Well  the  birdie  moral  is  great.  Chuckle  

Dinesh.
random2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:58 pm Post subject: Re: To spell or not to spell!!!! Reply with quote

Sreenivas,

The  intention  here  on  IAH  is  to  educate  members  where  things  would  be  better  for  others  as  well  as  themselves.

Imagine  your  fishes  (or  someone  else's)  got  some  disease  which  is  not  very  common.  You/person  posted  on  the  forum  and  got  some  help  and  solved  the  problem.  But  the  member  failed  to  spell  the  term  correctly.

Now  after  around  2-3years  you  see  and  guess  that  your  fishes  might  have  the  same  disease.  Now  you  search  using  the  correct  spelling  and  wont  find  that  old  thread.  It  could  be  yourself  or  someone  else.  But  the  consequence  will  be  same.  The  member  wont  find  the  information  even  though  its  already  there.

Quote:                
Am  i  supposed  to  double  check  on  what  i  post.....  well  yes  if  possible.  But  how  often  we  do  .....                  

If  you  are  talking  to  someone,  wont  you  think  before  you  speak?
 If  we  are  mailing  someone,  wont  we  think  about  what  we  want  to  convey  and  make  sure  it  is  readable?

I  am  not  sure  about  others  but  I  try  my  best  to  keep  things  correct.  Not  just  on  this  forum  but  whenever  I  communicate.

I  am  not  commenting  about  members  who  have  problem  conversing  in  english.  But  for  people  who  know  the  language  and  still  fail  to  do  these.

Quote:                
If  search  results  are  affected  by  by  wrong  /  bad  English  ,  the  admin  is  free  to  modify  the  content.                

Note  that  admins/moderators  are  your  fellow  members.  Admin/moderation  is  not  their  fulltime  job.  They  have  their  jobs  and  families  to  take  care  of  just  like  any  other  person.
Seetharam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:01 pm Post subject: Re: To spell or not to spell!!!! Reply with quote

sreeni_mysore  wrote  (View  Post):                
My  sole  intention  of  joining  IAH  was  to  learn  /  understand  about  aquarium  fish.

Sreeni,  This  is  the  Intention  of  pretty  much  every  person  who  joins  IAH,  Be  it  a  Newbie  or  Experienced  Hobbyist.  Just  as  Nayak  pointed  out,  Say  a  newcomer  joins  IAH  and  wants  to  read  up  on  something  specific,  he  is  not  going  to  go  through  all  the  posts  made  since  inception  of  IAH,  that  will  take  him  years,  so  he  will  search  for  it  and  if  topics  are  posted  and  discussed  in  SMS  Language  or  Short  forms  .........  Do  you  think  he  will  get  those  topics???  ........  NO!

Hence  we  insist  on  using  proper  language  on  the  Forum

This  i  would  say  is  basic  Human  Nature,  Im  sure  all  of  us  "Think"  and  then  "Speak"  ,  Do  we  just  Speak  without  Thinking?  

Similarly  we  also  "Think"  and  then  "Write"  ...........  all  we  are  asking  is  that  members  write  in  the  correct  way!

Seriously!!!  .............  So  basically  we  should  be  ok  with  people  posting  whatever  they  want  and  however  they  want   and  we  need  to  sit  and  correct  those  ????  We  are  not  jobless  ........  we  have  taken  this  responsibility  for  ensuring  that  IAH  is  a  place  for  people  to  learn  and  improve  their  knowledge  on  the  hobby  ...........  not  because  we  have  time  to  kill  and  sitting  and  proof  reading  posts  gives  us  something  to  do  !!!

I  felt  this  would  be  the  right  thread  to  discuss  one  of  my  IAH  site  improvement  suggestion.
 Please  check  the  proposal  at  
 http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3953&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=345

The  last  topic  about  book  marking.                

Its  a  good  suggestion  and  have  seen  it  on  some  other  forums,  But  honestly  im  not  a  technical  person  so  i  would  not  know  how  easy  or  difficult  it  is  to  build  this  feature  into  this  forum  software.  Moderators  do  not  have  authorization  to  modify  the  Forum,  That  is  something  which  the  Admins  need  to  look  into.  Thanks.
ASSASSIN
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:27 pm Post subject: Re: To spell or not to spell!!!! Reply with quote

This  is  some  QUALITY  stuff....hats  off  NAYAKji...
sreeni_mysore
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:19 am Post subject: Re: To spell or not to spell!!!! Reply with quote

Thanks  for  the  comments  friends.
 As  i  have  observed,  most  of  the  posts  are  readable.  Yes  ...there  is  scope  for  improvement.  

The  difference  between  riccia  and  riccea  is  something  admin  /  moderators  could  correct.  This  is  what  i  meant  by  content  change....

The  difference  between  Capital  "I"  and  small  "i"  as  mentioned  by  Nayak  is  little  harsh.  I  am  not  sure  if  that  kind  monitoring  is  required.

Admin  are  not  jobless  and  have  families  to  look  after.  I  completely  agree.
 What  i  propose  is  -  to  use  the  technologies  effectively.  If  there  are  technologies  /  ways  which  make  posts  better  and  no  /  least  admin  interventions  are  required,  we  could  use  those.

One  step  towards  this  is  bookmarking.
 As  i  have  seen  IAH  has  abundance  of  knowledge.  Lots  of  the  materials  are  already  present.  Yet  the  same  questions  are  being  repeatedly  asked.
 For  example

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=26423
 http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=18763
 http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=24608
 http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=24059
 http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=24377

The  solutions  for  these  are  already  available  and  yet  the  same  questions  are  being  posted  again.  Book  marking  is  one  solution  for  this.

~Sreeni.
alpha91

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:55 am Post subject: Re: To spell or not to spell!!!! Reply with quote

Sreeni,the  point  is,if  you  and  me  can  attempt  to  post  in  understandable  language,  people  can  atleast  make  an  effort!  
 Why  not  be  a  little  patient,spare  a  few  seconds  and  use  the  brightest  technology  out  there,the  brain!
Marc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:49 am Post subject: Re: To spell or not to spell!!!! Reply with quote

The  difference  between  riccia  and  riccea  is  something  admin  /  moderators  could  correct.  This  is  what  i  meant  by  content  change....

How  much  time/energy/patience  does  it  take  for  a  member  to  check  his  own  spellings  compared  to  a  mod/admin  who  has  to  do  it  for  all  the  active  members??   Smile  

As  for  your  capital  'I'  and  small  'i'......does  it  take  so  much  pain  to  hold  the  'shift'  down??  Sad
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:10 pm Post subject: Re: To spell or not to spell!!!! Reply with quote

Hey,  It's  Saturday  already.  How  time  flies  Sad  

And  everybody  knows  Saturday  is  Chitchat  day  Very Happy  

Lot's  of  comments  on  this  thread,  and  I  am  feeling  guilty  that  I  have  not  replied  to  even  one!  I  apologize  people,  for  my  work  gives  me  little  time  other  than  bits  and  snatches  in  which  I  can  post  on  "IAH".
 So.....here  goes,

First  of  all,  thanks  to...
 Nick993,  Rocky2,  Vignesh,  Balaji  R,  Tabrez  Sheriff,  Bijay,  DVD2103,  Deepak  G,  Rohit  S  Kapoor,  Shelly  D'Silva,  Thuds,  Emmanuel,  Hemesh,  Abhis9  and  Dinesh  for  the  appreciations  Very Happy  

apcmge  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  Rasik

To  place  my  humble  view  in  above  context.

IMO,  there  are  two  types  of  aquarist  who  do  spell  or  grammer  mistake  :-

1.  One  who  is  a  sms  generation  freak,  who  uses  sms  language  and  grammer   to  communicate.  Personally  I  dont  like  such  languages  as  it  kills  the  beauty  of  english  and  at  times  impossible  to  decipher  Smile.
 2.  A  serious  aquarist  who  is  enthusiastic  about  this  hobby  and  could  be  a  treasure  trove  of  knowledgre  too,  but  is  uncomfortable  in  communicating  in  english.

Again  in  my  humble  opinion,  second  type  of  aquarists  should  be  encourages  and  welcome,  despite  of  their  limited  knowledge  of  english.

Above  qouted  example  could  be  a  casually  written  mail  or  a  case  of  limited  knowledge  of  english.

On  a  personal  level  ,  I  too  support  rule  of  pure  and  good  english,  but  hope  it  doesnt  dicourage  hobbyists  who  have  limited  knowledge  of  it.

Regards

Sanjay  Dubey                

Sanjay,  Thanks.  That  is  exactly  the  point  I  am  trying  to  make,  for  the  first  type  that  you  have  mentioned.  As  for  the  second  type,  I  am  sure  the  comments  by  other  moderators  and  senior  members  have  made  it  very  clear  that  we  are  at  no  time  being  snobbish  about  English.  When  we  read  their  post  we  do  try  and  understand  their  limits  and  accommodate  them.  

jaival  wrote  (View  Post):                
+1  with  sanjay,
 but  as  he  stated  that  person  who  is  eager  to  learn  and  has  knowledge  but  limited  knowledge  in  english  how  will  he  communicate  ?  he/she  will  fear  from  posting  as  people  will  make  fun  of  them..
 i  am  in  contact  with  person  who  has  a  same  problem,  he  was  brought  up  in  his  village  and  dosnt  know  english.  but  is  hobbyist  and  can  spend  handsome  amount  in  his  aquariums.  
 so  every  other  day  he  mails  me  or  call  me  up  for  his  probs                  

Jaival,  My  reply  to  Sanjay  holds  good  for  your  concern  too.  We  are  at  no  time  being  snobbish  about  English,  and  when  we  recognize  the  limits  of  the  said  persons  we  try  and  accommodate  them.  Regarding  their  fear  of  posting,  I  will  handle  that  part  on  Monday.  Patience  Smile  

aquamann  wrote  (View  Post):                
Great  post  Nayak.  Some  of  the  IAH  posts  are  hard  for  me  to  understand.  I  guess  I  have  always  been  a  bit  anti-sms.
 When  I  originally  joined  IAH,  it  was  a  rule  not  to  use  sms  language.  I  can  understand  some  of  the  grammatical  errors  but  the  
 shortened  words  are  really  unnecessary.                

Hey  Charlie,  How  are  you?  Long  time.

jitu613  wrote  (View  Post):                

Right  say  Jaival.
 its  me..who  mail  you  for  help.                

Jitu,  Hold  on  till  my  post  on  Monday,  will  you?  Posting  on  IAH  is  not  difficult,  and  I  will  show  how  Smile  

Yogesh  wrote  (View  Post):                
No  doubt  that  OP  of  this  thread  definitely  possess  the  spell  to  keep  you  spellbound.                

Yogesh,   Chuckle  

sandeepraghuvanshi  wrote  (View  Post):                
Nayak
 How  many  birds  are  being  killed  with  one  stone.                

Sandeep,  No  animal  was  hurt  during  the  posting  of  this  thread  and  the  only  bird  killed  was  by  the  Cat  a  long  time  ago.  I  had  nothing  to  do  with  it  Chuckle  

aquarius  wrote  (View  Post):                

rasikanayak  wrote  (View  Post):                
Yes,  that  was  me  and  the  Admin  was  the  accomplished  aquarist  Mr.  Rajendra  Kumar  of  Ask  [at]  yahoogroups  [dot]  com,                

Taking  cue  from  the  Admin's  penchant  for  proper  English,I  was  under  the  impression  that  the  person  in  question  was  our  beloved  Trevor  Sir.Well,it  seems  like  he  was  not  the  only  one  out  there.
 Beautiful  topic  Mr  Nayak!An  absolute  rarity,nowadays.                

Mr.  Swarnendu  Sen.  I  guessed  as  much.  Trevor  Sir  was  a  stickler  for  proper  English,  and  would  have  made  P.  G.  Wodehouse  proud.

Regards,
Shovelnose

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:23 pm Post subject: Re: To spell or not to spell!!!! Reply with quote

I  cannot  stand  it  when  the  letter  'k'  is  used  instead  of  'c'.  Like  Kool  or  Kricket.  It  really  shoots  up  my  precious  BP  for  some  strange  reason.  Maybe  I  am  just  growing  old.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Chit Chat All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: