178. Guest
179. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,750

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - In response to - Collecting Native Indian Fish - A warning
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

In response to - Collecting Native Indian Fish - A warning
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lycosids
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:06 am Post subject: In response to - Collecting Native Indian Fish - A warning Reply with quote

I  think  we  are  all  missing  the  point  here!

Fishes,  especially,  are  among  those  groups  of  animals  which  are  generally  neglected  even  by  nature  lovers!  

Trust  me,  being  a  naturalist,  I  know!   

On  my  various  trails  and  excursions,  I  have  met  a  plethora  of  naturalists  and  nature  enthusiasts,  with  a  wide  range  of  natural  history  interests,  but  when  it  comes  to  fish,  they  are  generally  ignorant!  Regarded  by  many  as  smelly,  slimy  grey  things  staring  at  us  goggle  eyed  from  a  fisherwoman's  basket.                 
 Little  do  people  (including  nature  lovers)  realize  that  fishes  are  some  of  the  most  beautiful,  diverse  and  complex  life  forms  sharing  our  planet  earth  with  us,  with  a  bewilderingly  vast  array  of  forms  and  shapes,  suited  to  inhabit  most  if  not  all  aquatic  ecosystems.
 Also,  quite  a  few  of  the  aquatic  habitats  which  exist  today  (especially  the  larger  lakes,  rivers  and  the  sea)   are  very  much  like  the  way  these  habitats  were  hundreds  if  not  thousands  of  years  ago.
 Sure,  humans  have  most  certainly  impacted  and  altered  almost  every  habitat,  but  being  land  dwelling,  the  alterations  to  most  aquatic  habitats  have  been  minimal,  comparatively  at  the  very  least.
 And  this  is  where  the  aquarist  steps  in.
 Since  not  many  people  can  dive,well  set  aquariums  are  the  second  best  alternative  to  appreciate,understand  and  study  these  fascinating  organisms.

A  lot  of  fish  species  being  bred  in  captivity  can  perhaps  be  attested  to  the  efforts  of  dedicated  aquarium  hobbyists  worldwide  .  In  fact  a  lot  of  species  threatend  or  extinct  in  the  wild,  thrive  today,  in  captivity  DUE  to  aquarists  and  the  aquarium,  their  original  habitats  being  long  lost  to  encroachment  and  pollution!  Case  in  point  being  The  White  Cloud  Mountain  Minnow.

I  look  upon  aquarists  as  guardians  of  our  aquatic  biodiversity  and  clamping  down  on  collection  and  trade  would  not  remedy  anything,  only  serve  to  aggravate  matters  and  make  life  difficult  for  those  communities  whose  daily  bread  depends  upon  the  thriving  aquarium  trade.
 Also,most  species,  for  instance,  the  Bangai  cardinal,  are  threatened  today  in  their  natural  habitat  (by  NO  fault  of  hobbyists)  and  thanks  to  the  efforts  of  dedicated  hobbyists  the  world  over,  have  been  bred  in  captivity  and  should  they  every  go  extinct,  there  will  still  be  captive  bred  stocks  to  reintroduce  them  back  into  their  natural  habitat  and  range  after  the  issue  has  been  identified  and  corrected.

Most  problems  which  plague  aquatic  life  forms  and  their  habitats  the  world  over  have  more  to  do  with  global  warming,  unethical  and  unchecked  industrialization  and  rapid  deforestation  owing  to  a  rapidly  increasing  human  population  and  unsustainable  development.
 The  aquarist  unfortunately,  is  just  a  poor  casualty,  a  mute  spectator  caught  in  this  crossfire,  this  blame-game  of  decision  makers  and  ill  informed  politicians  and  has  ended  up  being  made  the  scape  goat  for  the  larger  issues  plaguing  our  aquatic  life  forms  and  their  threatened  habitats  the  world  over  and  unless  we  speak  up  now  and  make  people  realize  this  truth,the  hobby  as  we  know  it  will  cease  to  exist.
 Remember,there  are  people  who  CAN  and  WILL  effectively  kill  the  hobby  as  we  know  it  unless  we  take  steps  to  remedy  the  situation,quickly!
 Warm  regards,
                                 Javed  Jameer  Ahmed.

P.S:  There  are  many  other  locations  where  the  fish  species  mentioned  in  Marc's  thread  THRIVE  in  large  numbers.  I  see  no  harm  in  a  few  being  collected  by  aquarists  for  private  collections  and/or  by  native  communities  for  commercial  purposes  as  many  of  these  collections  are  done  seasonally  and  does  not  really  impact  native  fish  populations  adversely!  At  least  not  to  the  extent  it  has  been  hyped  by  the  "bunny  huggers"
 Activists  and  Conservationists  must  understand  that  not  every  fish  collected  from  the  wild  will  necessarily  survive  to  reach  adulthood  and  breed  and  SUSTAINABLE  ,  SEASONAL  collection  can  actually  help  by  picking  of  surplus  stock!  No  less  an  authority  than  Dr.  B.  F.  Chhapgar  has  told  me  this,  in  our  personal  conversations!

Also  Quoting  sathy83  "  But  the  running  water  off  those  reserve  areas  are  still  vulnerable  to  people  who  use  that  for  illegal  trading  purpose  and  or  an  hobbyist  who  doesn't  know  what  is  he  is  collecting!  "                                            
 Educate  yourself!  Trading  of  fish  is  NOT  illegal  and  the  fisheries  department  of  Kerala  actually  encourages  the  collection  and  the  trade  of  many  species  for  the  aquarium  trade!  Most  of  our  Indian  ornamental  species  ARE  NOT  included  in  the  Wildlife  Protection  Act,  1972....and  collecting,  displaying  and  selling  them  is  NOT  against  the  law!

Quoting  vidhyasagar99:  "  so  its  better  to  stop  encouragement  for  collecting  fish  which  r  spectacular  from  rivers,  its  just  so  wrong  ,one  has  to  be  an  expert  or  a  certified  biologist  to  do  collections  and  also  one  has  to  publish  for  why  he  collected  them  for  ,

mere  entertainment  or  show  off
 is  the  most  aspects  of  collection,  many  of  them,  it  has  to  be  done  by  fish  breeders  and  breed  them  to  give  others  enjoy  them

SUSTAINABLY"

Apart  from  the  difficulty  I  had  understanding  this  gibberish  and  moving  on,  he  writes  one  has  to  be  an  "expert"  or  "certified  biologist"  to  "DO  collections"  !  That  was  very  profound  indeed!  Now  we  have  started  DECIDING  WHO  DESERVES  to  collect  and  for  what  reasons  too!  I  am  honestly  appalled  by  these  statements  and  the  massive  ignorance  plaguing  our  wonderful  little  community!  

If  this  was  the  case,  even  Dr.  Salim  Ali  was  an  amateur  naturalist,  who  by  dedication  and  love  towards  his  subject  went  on  to  become  THE  leading  bird  authority  in  India.  So  who  are  WE  to  decide  who  has  the  right  to  study,  collect  and  house  native  fish  species?  Last  I  checked  this  was  still  a  democracy!   Personally  I  would  rather  prefer  seeing  live  fish  in  aquaria  then  see  them  being  collected  haphazardly  and  deposited  in  some  natural  history  specimen  collection!  I  am  not  against  taxonomy  and  while  I  know  that  sometimes,  examining  a  specimen  under  a  microscope  is  the  only  way  to  deduce  the  identity  of  a  particular  species,  it  should  also  be  known  that  most  fish  lose  their  natural  coloration  when  they  perish,  where  as  a  well  set  aquarium  and/or  photographic  tank  really  brings  out  their  lovely  colors  ,  thus  aiding  in  identification  and  taxonomy  without  wanton  killing!  Also  with  today's  formidable  array  of  impressive  and  advanced  photographic  equipment,  high  resolution  photographs  of  live  fish  can  be  taken  and  used  for  identifying  a  vast  majority  of  fish  species!  Dr.  Herbert  R.  Axelrod's  Atlas  of  Freshwater  Aquarium  Fish  being  the  perfect  example..and  it  was  published  decades  ago!

Moreover,  species  such  as  Puntius  denisonii  have  been  bred  commercially  using  hormone  injections  and  there  is  always  an  alternative  for  conservation  purist  aquarists!

I  rather  think  Marc  was  trying  to  talk  about  sustainable  collection  rather  than  advocate  not  collecting  native  fish!

Also,  not  every  aquarist  goes  out  of  his/her  way  to  take  the  trouble  to  collect  and  bring  back  native  fish  for  the  home  aquaria  and  in  the  rare  case  of  an  inexperienced  aquarist  doing  so,  the  death  of  the  wild  caught  fish  in  his  aquarium  and  the  subsequent  restocking  with  new  (and  hopefully)  exotic  livestock,  is  enough  to  deter  most  from  trying  such  "antics"  in  the  near  future,  at  least  without  gaining  the  required  experience  to  house,  keep  and  display  wild  caught  fish!

Finally,  I  hope  I  have  made  my  point  clear....and  like  everyone  knows  there  are  always  exceptions  to  every  rule  and  these  are  MY  opinions...You  have  a  right  to  form  your  OWN  and  OUR  opinions  do  not  necessarily  have  to  match!

Just  my  two  pence/cent/paise,
 Sincerely,
 Javed  Jameer  Ahmed.

Last edited by lycosids on Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:49 pm; edited 3 times in total
Romi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:17 am Post subject: Re: In response to "Collecting Native Indian Fish - A W Reply with quote

well  written,  well  understood.  I  agree!  
 Edifying  indeed.
Romi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:19 am Post subject: Re: In response to "Collecting Native Indian Fish - A W Reply with quote

where  are  u  based?  Update!
lycosids
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:21 am Post subject: Re: In response to "Collecting Native Indian Fish - A W Reply with quote

Thank  you  for  your  time  and  patience  invested  in  reading  through  my  awfully  long  "rant"!
 I  am  based  in  Bombay,  India!
 You  may  chat  with  me  on  Gtalk,  if  you  wish  to!

Gtalk  handle  :  lycosids

Sincerely,
                        Javed  Jameer  Ahmed.
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:10 am Post subject: Re: In response to "Collecting Native Indian Fish - A W Reply with quote

Wow  man!
 Neatly  done!  Thumb Up  

But  what  I  found  most  intriguing  is  that,  you  joined  in  2010  and  you  have  just  7  posts!?  Are  you  an  epic  troll  are  you  just  forgot  you  made  an  account  in  IAH  Chuckle  
 And,  I  agree  to  each  and  every  point  you  made.  But  please  remove  the  names  and  quotes  of  users,  I  dont  think  It  will  go  down  well  with  the  mods.  I  wont  like  such  an  awesome  article  to  be  taken  down.
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:36 am Post subject: Re: In response to "Collecting Native Indian Fish - A W Reply with quote

Mr  Javed  Jameer,

Excellently  put  across  Clapping  

ashwin1224  wrote  (View  Post):                

Wow  man!
 Neatly  done!  Thumb Up  
 And,  I  agree  to  each  and  every  point  you  made.  But  please  remove  the  names  and  quotes  of  users,  I  dont  think  It  will  go  down  well  with  the  mods.  I  wont  like  such  an  awesome  article  to  be  taken  down.

Not  at  all,  Ashwin  Smile  
 To  every  opinion  there  is  a  counter  opinion,  as  the  OP  made  it  clear  in  the  below  quote.  And  everybody  is  entitled  to  it.

lycosids  wrote  (View  Post):                

Finally,  I  hope  I  have  made  my  point  clear....and  like  everyone  knows  there  are  always  exceptions  to  every  rule  and  these  are  MY  opinions...You  have  a  right  to  form  your  OWN  and  OUR  opinions  do  not  necessarily  have  to  match!
 Sincerely,
 Javed  Jameer  Ahmed.                

Regards,
vidhyasagar99
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:37 pm Post subject: Re: In response to "Collecting Native Indian Fish - A W Reply with quote

days  of  plenty  are  over,in  1940  our  population  was  30cr  people,  but  today  there  are  more  than  130cr  people  in  india,  there  is  less  and  less  natural  habitat  left  and  less  place  for  fish  or  anyother  wildlife  to  thrive,

a  more  thoughtful  and  intelligent  use  of  resources  would  be  advicable,every  fish  sold  depends  on  market  it  has  ,once  the  market  for  a  particular  fish  is  gone  the  fish  itself  is  forgotten,its  not  that  extinct  fish  is  always  available  with  the  hobbyist

i  have  seen  aquariums  10yrs  back  where  everyone  had  a  big  4  ftrs,6ftrs  or  atleast  3  ftrs  housing  very  large  fish  like  carps  and  gold  and  big  cichlids  ,but  today  they  are  becoming  very  rare  the  majority  are  2  ftrs  and  small  ones  having  tetras  and  plants  and  small  cichlids,  its  just  a  TREND  and  how  much  money  one  can  spend

water  is  also  becoming  costlier  in  cities  ,  i  remember  paying  50rs/month  and  had  24hrs  water  running  through  the  tap  to  fill  my  large  ponds,but  today  even  if  iam  ready  to  pay  1000rs/month  the  WATER  BOARD  only  leaves  water  for  4hrs  /day  which  is  roughly  usable  for  the  household  ,not  for  my  ponds,borewells  are  dry  inluding  the  whole  area  in  which  i  live
sathy83
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:06 pm Post subject: Re: Collecting Native Indian Fish - A warning Reply with quote

Javed  Jameer  Ahmed,

Good  write  up!  I  agree  with  you  completely!  
 and  Thanks  for  educating  me  as  well!

lycosids  wrote  (View  Post):                

Also  Quoting  sathy83  "  But  the  running  water  off  those  reserve  areas  are  still  vulnerable  to  people  who  use  that  for  illegal  trading  purpose  and  or  an  hobbyist  who  doesn't  know  what  is  he  is  collecting!  "                                            
 Educate  yourself!  Trading  of  fish  is  NOT  illegal  and  the  fisheries  department  of  Kerala  actually  encourages  the  collection  and  the  trade  of  many  species  for  the  aquarium  trade!  Most  of  our  Indian  ornamental  species  ARE  NOT  included  in  the  Wildlife  Protection  Act,  1972....and  collecting,  displaying  and  selling  them  is  NOT  against  the  law!

Quote:                

Now  this  has  made  the  conservation  societies  and  government  agencies  press  for  a  ban  on  collecting  fish  species  of  western  ghat  (and  other  sensitive  areas).  

My  write  up  came  against  for  what  Marc  said.  My  point  is:  if  they  enforce  a  ban  also,  people  will  still  go  in  for  a  hunt  for  those  fishes(Knowingly  or  unknowingly)  which  is  ILLEGAL.

Last edited by sathy83 on Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
random2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:36 pm Post subject: Re: In response to - Collecting Native Indian Fish - A warni Reply with quote

Ah.....  this  one  comes  up  again....  so  time  to  clear  up  few  things.

Firstly  -  If  any  law  comes  up  in  future  making  catching  of  fishes  illegal,  I  would  say  that  members  of  IAH  who  have  been  active  in  going  out  for  trips  would  be  the  first  of  the  bunch  to  stop  dipping  their  nets  in  the  wild.  We  have  always  followed  what  the  law  says  and  there  is  no  question  of  doing  anything  illegal.

Next  -
 Why  are  hobbyists  villains  when  it  comes  to  catching  from  the  wild?
 Because  we  are  easy  targets.  Our  motto  is  to  study  the  natural  habitats,  see  what  fauna  are  found  and  share  the  information  with  fellow  hobbyists.  People  who  collect  in  thousands  for  trade  or  people  catching  fishes  for  food  dont  have  to  go  and  put  it  on  the  internet  so  that  these  armchair  conservationists  sitting  in  their  A/C  offices  can  catch  them  through  google.

We  dont  have  any  quantification  of  the  loss  through  habitat  destruction,  pollution  etc.
 And  can  anyone  quantify  how  many  fishes  hobbyists  would  catch  in  one  whole  year?

Will  continue  on  this  in  a  bit....

Last edited by random2 on Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:43 pm Post subject: Re: In response to "Collecting Native Indian Fish - A W Reply with quote

vidhyasagar99  wrote  (View  Post):                
days  of  plenty  are  over,in  1940  our  population  was  30cr  people,  but  today  there  are  more  than  130cr  people  in  india,  there  is  less  and  less  natural  habitat  left  and  less  place  for  fish  or  anyother  wildlife  to  thrive,

a  more  thoughtful  and  intelligent  use  of  resources  would  be  advicable,every  fish  sold  depends  on  market  it  has  ,once  the  market  for  a  particular  fish  is  gone  the  fish  itself  is  forgotten,its  not  that  extinct  fish  is  always  available  with  the  hobbyist

i  have  seen  aquariums  10yrs  back  where  everyone  had  a  big  4  ftrs,6ftrs  or  atleast  3  ftrs  housing  very  large  fish  like  carps  and  gold  and  big  cichlids  ,but  today  they  are  becoming  very  rare  the  majority  are  2  ftrs  and  small  ones  having  tetras  and  plants  and  small  cichlids,  its  just  a  TREND  and  how  much  money  one  can  spend

water  is  also  becoming  costlier  in  cities  ,  i  remember  paying  50rs/month  and  had  24hrs  water  running  through  the  tap  to  fill  my  large  ponds,but  today  even  if  iam  ready  to  pay  1000rs/month  the  WATER  BOARD  only  leaves  water  for  4hrs  /day  which  is  roughly  usable  for  the  household  ,not  for  my  ponds,borewells  are  dry  inluding  the  whole  area  in  which  i  live                

I  went  through  the  above  post  a  few  times  trying  to  decipher  it.
 But  I  still  have  not  understood  what  you  are  trying  to  say  Sad  
 Are  you  saying  "  A  few  Hobbyist's  going  and  doing  a  bit  of  habitat  study  and  fish  collection  is  OK.  It  helps  in  the  conservation  effort".  Is  that  it?

Regards,
vidhyasagar99
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:17 pm Post subject: Re: In response to - Collecting Native Indian Fish - A warni Reply with quote

ok  i  want  to  know  of  all  the  collections  done  ,  what  have  the  collectors  done  with  it  and  purpose?
lycosids
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:45 pm Post subject: Re: In response to - Collecting Native Indian Fish - A warni Reply with quote

Thank  you  everyone!
 I  really  appreciate  the  fact  that  members  of  IAH  keep  an  open  mind  and  are  willing  to  perceive  different  opinions  from  their  own!   Very Happy   
 The  reason  I  have  only  seven  posts  is  due  to  the  fact  that  other  research  interests  such  as  Arachnology  as  well  as  a  full  time  job  have  kept  me  otherwise  engaged  and  I  could  find  little  time  to  devote  my  my  beloved  subject  of  Aquariology!

However,  after  toying  with  the  idea  for  years,  I  believe  that  now  is  the  time  to  act  and  perhaps,  finally  launch  my  dream  project  to  document,  photograph,  study  and  conserve  the  fishes  of  India!  Very Happy  
 I  would  like  those  interested  to  either  send  me  a  private  message  on  here  or  send  an  e-mail  on  lycosids  [at]  gmail  [dot]  com

Given  below  are  the  details  of  a  project  I  had  planned  to  study  fishes  of  the  Bombay  region!  This  original  idea  can  be  expanded  upon  and  be  modified  to  include  other  areas  and/or  regions  in  the  Indian  Subcontinent  starting  with  the  mysterious  Western  Ghats.  Please  read  through  it  and  share  you  feedback,  comments  and  suggestions!

Thank  you  and  Warm  Regards,
 Javed  Jameer  Ahmed.

The  Native  Fish  Conservation  Society

Of  all  creatures  great  and  small  that  one  encounters  in  a  forest,none  perhaps  are  as  sorely  neglected  as  our  fish.
 And  so  used  to  are  we  at  the  sight  of  grey,slimy,smelly  fish  staring  at  us  goggle  eyed  from  a  fisherwoman's  basket  that  few  of  us  seldom  realize  that  fish  are  some  of  the  most  beautiful,fascinating  and  diverse  organisms  to  inhabit  our  planet  earth,which  is  ironic  since  70%  of  our  planet  is  covered  with  water  and  while  every  water  body  might  not  have  fish  inhabiting  it,most  do!
 For  those  who  are  clueless  as  of  yet  to  the  many  wonders  of  the  fishy  realm;  there  are  fish  that  shoot  water  droplets  to  bring  down  prey  with  an  accuracy  that  would  put  many  a  archer  to  shame,there  are  fish  that  can  leap  right  out  of  water  and  "fly"  and  fish  that  can  generate  electricity,mimic  stones,use  a  fishing  rod  and  lure   like  an  experienced  angler,fish  that  spend  more  time  out  of  water  than  in  it  and  finally  fish  that  inspire  deep  awe  and  great  fear......the  sharks,ever  popularized  in  every  beach  goers  psyche  as  the  ultimate  nightmare!
 Welcome  to  the  wild,wet  and  wonderful  realm  of  the  fish!  
 It's  no  surprise  however  that  most  people,including  naturalists  and  wild  lifers  are  unaware  of  the  beauty  and  diversity  of  our  native  Indian  fish.One  can  see  birds,butterflies,spiders  even  the  elusive  leopard  out  for  a  quick  stroll  but  hardly  since  one  can  hardly  ever  expect  to  see  a  puffer  fish  puff  or  a  moray  gawk  at  one  while  birding  or  b'flying  in  the  forest!  Out  of  sight,out  of  mind  as  they  say!  
 Seldom  does  one  realize  just  how  easy  it  is  to  explore  the  fascinating  world  of  these  aquatic  denizens  of  the  deep,just  by  putting  in  a  little  effort  and  getting  your  ankles  (or  elbows)  a  little  wet,a  whole  new  realm  is  opened  up  for  the  curious  naturalist!  A  realm  of  new  wonders  and  newer  discoveries  waiting  for  the  inquisitive  and  daring  naturalist!
 One  way  to  do  this  is  by  setting  up  a  small,inexpensive  glass  aquaria  which  occupies  little  space  and  has  a  world  of  wonder  and  fascination  in  store  for  anyone  who  gives  it  a  try!  
 A  little  space  (roughly  about  18-24  inches),a  little  patience  couple  with  lots  of  love  and  enthusiasm  for  the  natural  world  can  yield  hours  of  fun,knowledge  and  learning  for  almost  the  entire  family!
 An  aquarium  is  hardly  rocket  science  NOR  is  it  a  glass  prison  as  so  many  of  these  self  righteous  "animal  rights  activists"  have  called  it!
 On  the  contrary,it  is  a  secret  window  into  the  hidden  world  of  fish,their  life  cycle  and  an  opportunity  to  observe  their  fascinating  world  at  the  leisure  and  comfort  of  one's  own  home!
 The  only  other  options  are  diving,which  is  NOT  feasible  for  everyone  OR  EVERYWHERE  (for  instance  small  ponds,ditches,mangrove  marshes  and  frigid  crystal  streams)  or  visiting  a  public  aquarium  which  has  it's  own  constraints!
 Also  for  the  uninitiated,some  of  the  most  fascinating  fish  are  found  in  our  tropical  (and  temperate)  waters  with  fish  species  ranging  from  comical  puffers,cleaner  wrasses  which  bravely  and  patiently  doctor  even  the  most  fearsome  fish  (that  could  swallow  them  in  a  second,if  they  so  desired),swamp  eels  which  can  bury  themselves  deep  in  the  moist  mud  of  dried  up  ponds  much  like  the  South  American  and  African  lung  fish  to  the  mighty  golden  mahseer,  which  is  every  anglers  dream  catch!
 About  60%  of  fish  in  the  international  aquarium  trade  come  from  South-East  Asia,including  India  which  has  some  of  the  most  beautiful  and  interesting  fish  for  the  tropical  fish  hobbyist!
 And  yet  sadly,with  all  this  wealth  of  fish  species,there's  hardly  any  interest  or  a  concrete  effort  made  to  conserve  these  natural  wonders  and  nation  treasures,rightly  so  because  India,a  developing  country  earns  a  lot  of  revenue  both  from  the  export  of  food  AND  aquarium  fish!  Thus  fish  provide  much  needed  sources  of  income  and  jobs  to  the  masses  of  a  developing  country!
 Also,while  fish  themselves  are  predators,ranging  from  the  humble  killifish  which  feeds  on  mosquito  larve  to  the  mighty  sharks  which  dine  on  other  fish,they  themselves  provide  food  to  a  host  of  organisms  ranging  from  birds,dragonfly  larvae  and  mammals,thus  playing  an  important  part  in  the  ecological  cycle  with  many  of  the  more  sensitive  species  acting  as  indicators  of  pristine  aquatic  bodies.
 Sadly  a  lot  of  these  treasures  are  threatened  with  habitat  loss,local  extinction,habitat  fragmentation  as  well  as  competition  from  introduced  exotics  like  the  African  tilapia  which  is  rapidly  pushing  or  native  fish  towards  untimely  extinction.
 With  this  in  mind,we,  Javed  Jameer  Ahmed  and  Saurabh  Sawant,hereby  invite  you  to  come  join  us  in  our  efforts  to  discover,document,understand  and  preserve  our  native  fish!
 A  few  aims  of  The  Native  Fish  Conservation  Society  are  as  follows:
 1)  To  document  the  fish  fauna  of  our  water  bodies,ranging  from  seasonal  ponds  to  large  lakes  and  even  estuarine  coastal  rivers  and  mangrove  marshes,creating  a  database  of  species,localities  and  vulnerable  species  along  with  having  a  complete  data  base  of  color  photographs  for  education,conservation  and  research  purposes.
 2)  To  promote  the  study  of  living  fish  and  the  aquarium  as  a  means  to  understand,study  and  breed  various  species  of  native  fish  supplemented  with  natural  observations  and  nature  identical  setups,not  only  to  work  out  their  natural  history  with  ease  but  also  to  develop  a  gene  bank  of  sorts,for  example  the  white  cloud  mountain  minnow,once  found  in  the  cold,unpolluted,high  altitude  streams  of  china  are  now  sadly  extinct  in  the  wild,as  the  natural  habitat  has  been  lost  to  pollution  and  habitat  destruction,but  species  thrives  in  the  aquarium  hobby  and  can  someday  be  reintroduced  back  in  the  wild.Many  Indian  fish  face  similar  issues  but  since  we  know  so  little  about  them,we  unfortunately  cannot  do  much  until  regular  habitat  and  species  assessments  are  taken  up  and  time  is  running  out  fast.....
 3)  To  ultimately  develop  the  breeding  of  native  and  non  native  aquarium  fish  as  a  means  of  livelihood  for  local  populations  in  rural  areas,thus  providing  them  with  a  source  of  income  as  well  as  a  means  of  generating  revenue  for  the  country,thus  contributing  to  its  ever  growing  economy
 4)  Regular  field  trips  to  collect,document  and  photograph  the  many  beautiful  and  interesting  varieties  of  fish  species.
 For  more  information,please  contact  
 Javed  Ahmed  at  :
 lycosids  [at]  gmail  [dot]  com

Mr.  Saurabh  Sawant  at  :
 mastermind.neo  [at]  gmail  [dot]  com

Last edited by lycosids on Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:53 pm Post subject: Re: In response to - Collecting Native Indian Fish - A warni Reply with quote

vidhyasagar99  wrote  (View  Post):                
ok  i  want  to  know  of  all  the  collections  done  ,  what  have  the  collectors  done  with  it  and  purpose?                

Oops!  you  mean  you  have  not  read  whatever  the  members  have  done  about  conservation  here  on  IAH?  All  based  on  the  experience  they  gained  on  the  habitat  study  trips!
 Then  on  what  premise  did  you  come  to  a  or  any  conclusion?  Reading  your  post  earlier  I  was  of  the  opinion  that  you  were  a  man  of  informed  decision,  though  I  am  still  unclear  of  what  that  decision  might  be.

Vidyasagar,
 Take  your  time.  No  hurry.  Once  you  have  finished  reading  the  topics  and  informed  yourself  of  what  we  call  "Habitat  study  and  fish  collection  trips"  and  we  can  continue  Smile  

Regards,
random2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:32 pm Post subject: Re: In response to - Collecting Native Indian Fish - A warni Reply with quote

Vidyasagar,

All  trips  are  documented  here  -  http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=41

Javed,

Please  go  through  the  'Fish  Collection  and  Habitat  Study  Trips'  section.  The  above  link  is  for  the  same.  

There  seems  to  be  various  myths/misconceptions  on  what  goes  on  a  collection/habitat  study  trip.  Probably  few  pointers  could  give  real  sense  on  how  things  are  in  the  wild.

I  am  going  to  list  a  few  and  take  up  each  when  I  have  time.  Others  are  welcome  to  comment  on  these  as  well.

I  think  quite  a  few  people  have  these  things  in  mind  when  they  hear/read  'Fish  collection/habitat  study  trip'

1.  It  is  like  a  picnic.  You  can  be  off  the  leash  from  your  family  and  boss  and  just  enjoy  the  time  (and  maybe  booze  around  all  day)
 2.  People  go  on  these  trips  as  they  dont  want  to  spend  money  buying  fishes.  They  want  them  for  free
 3.  When  these  guys  get  into  the  water,  they  catch  fishes  in  loads.  Or  fishes  just  jump  into  their  nets.  Its  same  like  fishermen  catch  fishes  which  we  see  on  TV/Movies.
 4.  These  guys  bring  in  everything  they  catch
 5.  Any  relatively  unknown  species  these  guys  catch  and  document  will  become  hot  selling  fishes  in  few  months/years  and  would  be  a  threat  to  their  existence.

Last edited by random2 on Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
KungFuPanda
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:29 pm Post subject: Re: In response to - Collecting Native Indian Fish - A warni Reply with quote

Wow!  Nice  writeup!  
 But  sadly  our  smart  politician  have  done  nothing  much  so  far  to  protect  wildlife   Sad  
 Why  isnt  there  such  rule  like  health  minister  should  be  a  doctor,  or  education  minister  should  be  a  teacher...then  surly  all  this  will  change  

Off  topic  ,
 What  is  your  profession  that  you  have  time  to  write  so  much?  Are  you  part  of  some  environment/wildlife  protection  NGO  or  something?
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Chit Chat All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: