61. Guest
62. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,881

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Flowerhorn face turns black, not eating since 5 days. Help!
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Flowerhorn face turns black, not eating since 5 days. Help!
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Diseases & Cures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shashank
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:18 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorn face turns black, not eating since 5 days. He Reply with quote

rasikanayak  wrote  (View  Post):                
Shashank,

I  am  sorry  for  your  loss.  I  truly  am.

The  primary  mistake  you  made  was  none  of  the  above,  but  forgetting  to  consult  your  six  friends.
 Who,  What,  Why,  Where,  When  and  How.

I  went  through  your  whole  thread  and  never  saw  you  questioning  any  of  the  suggestion  or  asking  the  credentials  of  the  advisers.
 I  am  sure  none  of  them  would  have  minded  answering  you,  and  only  after  you  were  convinced  of  the  genuinity  you  could  have  proceeded  in  treating  your  fish.

Best  of  luck  next  time.

Regards,                

Nayak  Sir,

You  are  right.  I  never  questioned  them  on  the  thread,but  did  a  little  check  on  the  forum  and  found  out  that  they  seemed  experienced  in  FH  keeping.  It  was  too  late  when  Krash  came  onto  the  scene,  and  told  me  how  i'd  given  an  overdose  of  flagyl  which  must  have  caused  renal  impairment  in  the  fishes.  Unfortunately  i  had  to  pay  a  heavy  price  for  my  carelessness.

Note:  A  small  request  to  you,  can  you  please  change  the  title  to  'Bacterial  infection  kills  FH'  or  any  title  which  suits  the  condtion  my  fish  suffered  and  make  it  a  sticky  ?  I  hope  that  if  made  a  sticky,  it  will  give  more  exposure  and  anyone  who  comes  to  the  site  looking  for  help  will  know  what  to  do  right  away  before  its  too  late  to  save  thier  fish.

Thanks
 Shashank

Last edited by shashank on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
shashank
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:20 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorn face turns black, not eating since 5 days. He Reply with quote

krash  wrote  (View  Post):                
To  euthanize  him  the  esiest  method  is  to  freeze  him

You  can  put  in  a  bag  &  place  him  the  top  shelf  of  the  fridge,  after  10  min  shift  him  to  the  freezer.

I  know  it  sounds  harsh,  but  as  the  temperature  drops,  fish  will  not  feel  pain  like  us  mammals,  their  senses  numb,  metabolic  rate  drops;  basically  going  into  deep  sleep  like  coma.
 When  he  eventually  freezes,  he  will  be  dead.

Option  2:-  is  the  with  eugenol,  (clove  oil)-  available  at  most  medical  stores  or  cosmetic  shops.

Mix  clove  oil  in  bottle  of  water  &  shake  well,  mix  this  mixture  into  the  bucket,  he  will  go  to  sleep  &  eventually  stop  breathing.
 In  small  doses  its  a  sedative,  high  doses  it  kills  peacefully.  eventually  fish  basically  forgets  to  breathe,  his  gills  will  stop  moving,  you  can  them  bury  him.
 Should  take  5  yo  10  mins.  Dosage  you  can  use  is  1  to  3  ¬†grams  (a  teaspoon)  per  liter  of  water,  this  has  worked  for  me.

There  other  means  are  there  too,  below  is  the  link  read  for  details:

http://www.fishchannel.com/media/fish-health/euthanasia.aspx.pdf

I  will  reply  to  your  other  queries  shortly,  sorry  for  the  loss  buddy

TC                

Krash,

I  read  up  online  and  they  say  you  have  to  administer  vodka  along  with  clove  oil  to  really  kill  the  fish.  Is  it  required  ?
krash
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:08 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorn face turns black, not eating since 5 days. He Reply with quote

its  better  i  forgot  to  mention  it,  that  s  because  eugenol   is  not  water  soluble,  so  dissolving  it  in  alcohol  (vodka  or  any  clear  non-  flavored  spirit)  will  help  disperse  the  solution  evenly.
 Or  have  to  shake  or  stir  vigorously  to  mix  the  eugenol  better  with  water,  if  done  correctly  will  disperse  well  in  water,  if  not  if  you  have  vodka  at  home  do  that  its  better.

Smaller  fishes  mixing  in  mug  of  water  is  easy,  but  for  larger  fishes,  dissolving  in  spirit  &  dosing  is  better,  since  you  will  take  more  water.  Another  info  when  i  did  not  have  vodka  at  home,  i  have  mixed  in  a  blender  with  water  &  then  poured  into  a  bucket.  It  amalgamates  well  in  blender.

TC
shashank
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:10 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorn face turns black, not eating since 5 days. He Reply with quote

Just  put  him  into  a  bucket  with  about  20  litres  of  water  in.  Put  in  eugenol  at  1ml  to  the  litre.  Will  check  if  he's  still  breathing  in  a  few  hours  and  decide  whether  to  add  vodka  or  not.

Thanks  for  all  your  help  Krash!  Are  you  based  in  bangalore  ?  When  you  find  the  time,  please  respond  to  my  queries  as  i'd  like  to  know  where  things  went  wrong  and  finally  out  of  control.

Thanks  to  Kastor,  TheChannaguy  and  all  other  who  helped  me  in  the  initial  stages.

One  last  post  to  confirm  his  death  and  this  thread  can  be  closed  if  the  mods  so  desire.
krash
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:36 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorn face turns black, not eating since 5 days. He Reply with quote

ok,  i  know  he  had  a  nice  life

will  reply  to  that  asap,  got  little  work.

Yes,  I  am  at  Bangalore.

Regards
krash
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:13 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorn face turns black, not eating since 5 days. He Reply with quote

Hi  Shashank,

posting  the  reply  to  the  questions  you  asked  on  why  they  caught  the  disease,  etc  in  word  file  point  wise,  the  Link  for  the  same  is  below-

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=60fbe185cbaa136d&resid=60FBE185CBAA136D!141&parid=60FBE185CBAA136D!103&authkey=!AMO777JrrKffFI0

PS-  copy  &  paste  the  link,  some  browsers  don't  pick  the  entire  link.

TC  &  regards

(posted  late  after  mail  since  was  traveling  a  lot)
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Diseases & Cures All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: