10. Guest
11. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 28,855

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Live Daphina and Blood worms.
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Live Daphina and Blood worms.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fish Food
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:53 am Post subject: Live Daphina and Blood worms. Reply with quote

After  searching  high  and  low  for  the  past  two  weeks  finally  managed  to  source  a  consignment  of  live  Daphnia  and  Blood  worms  from  Chennai.

Of  course,  if  sourcing  it  was  difficult  then  collecting  it  in  Bangalore  was  a  herculean  task!  If  anything  can  go  wrong  it  will!!!!!  Murphy,  you  are  my  Hero  Drinking  

Had  contradictory  information  on  which  bus  it  was  loaded  on,  with  one  claiming  National  and  the  other  Jahan.  Since  the  secondary  information  was  from  the  source  sending  the  food,  decided  it  was  more  credible.  Searched  the  offices  of  Jahan  in  Bangalore  on  the  net,  came  to  know  it  was  the  same  as  Bharathi  Travels  and  armed  with  the  Phone  #'s  and  address  set  of  at  6.30am  on  Republic  day  to  collect  the  Manna,  so  to  speak.

To  cut  a  long  story  short,  finally  managed  to  collect  at  10.00am  after  traversing  a  total  of  55  Kms.  Jahan  Travels  which  happened  to  be  the  alter  ego  of  Bharathi  travels  turned  out  to  be  the  wrong  information  with  the  correct  one  being  National.  Anandrao  circle  turned  to  be  the  wrong  Depot  with  Kalasipalyam  not  exactly  the  right  one  only  to  find  my  stuff  at  Chamrajpet  depot.  Vyas,  who  shared  the  Manna  with  me  got  three  false  starts  as  to  where  to  meet  me,  with  he  final  rendezvous  happening  at  Gandhi  Bazar.  Phew!  Rolling Eyes  

The  Blood  worms,  well  aerated...

Close  up....

Daphnia,

Had   to  steal  a  bucket  from  the  Home  ministry  dept....

Regards,
nag
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:16 am Post subject: Re: Live Daphina and Blood worms. Reply with quote

Hi  Nayak:

This  is  just  wonderful  news...

Please  allow  me  join  the  band  wagon  of  subscribers  for  BW  &  Daphnia...

If  possible,  a  little  bit  of  Tubifex  so  that  a  culture  can  be  started...

And  i'm  still  awaiting  to  get  my  hands  on  Shrimp  Feed...  :)

Thanks,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rahul_Discus
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:12 pm Post subject: Re: Live Daphina and Blood worms. Reply with quote

Hi  Guys

Just  and  information  if  anybody  wants  regular  supply  of  blood  worms

you  can  contact  ARK  shop  in  frazertown  he  gets  every  Wednesday  and  sunday

Regards

Rahul
nag
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:45 pm Post subject: Re: Live Daphina and Blood worms. Reply with quote

I'd  definitely  vote  for  Nayak  &  Vyas...  than  relay  on  unknown  sources...
 (no  offence  meant  to  Rahul)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:52 pm Post subject: Re: Live Daphina and Blood worms. Reply with quote

Nag,

That's  the  Idea.  The  more  the  merrier.  Economics  work  out  better  for  both  the  vendor  and  the  hobbyists.

There  is  simply  no  comparison  between  any  expensive  dry  feeds  or  frozen  feeds  and  ordinary  live  feeds.  Anyone  and  everyone  who  not  only  like  to  Breed  their  fish,  but  also  to  see  their  fish  in  true  marvelous  colors  should  use  live  feed.
 Only  one  feed  was  enough  to  get  this  Schistura  kodaguensis  to  this  color  and  posture......

To  continue......
 Having  more  live  feed  than  was  required  and  having  no  culture  to  keep  them  alive  for  a  extended  period  of  time,  the  only  option  left  for  me  was  to  freeze  them.  A  process  I  had  never  tried  before.  But  as  the  saying  goes....."There  is  always  a  first  time".

So  here  goes......

A  shallow  tub  covered  with  a  fine  towel  acts  as  the  filter.  The  towel  again  borrowed  from  the  home  ministry,  allowed  with  the  threat  that  it  was  going  to  be  my  Byras  on  the  next  fish  collection  trip  Help  

Using  a  Biryani  take-away  tub  to  pour  the  water  from  the  bucket  into  the  filter.  Side  benefit,  You  get  to  eat  a  Biryani  Very Happy  

Daphnia  collected  on  the  filter.

Daphnia  collect  in  the  Ice-Cream  tub.  You  even  get  to  eat  Ice-Cream  Chuckle  

Two  packets  of  Daphnia(Or  one  bucket)  resulted  in  this  amount  of  yield.  Ready  for  freezing.

What  about  the  filtered  water.  Throw  away?  Not  on  your  life.  May  contain  Daphnia  naupalii  or  daphnia  eggs.  Collected  it  into  another  container  and  added  a  Parry's  Spirulina  capsule  content.  Let's  wait  for  results.

The  Blood  worms  are  still  alive,  and  I  can  keep  them  so  for  around  a  week.

So  guy's  from  Bangalore  interested  in  getting  live  feed  for  their  fishes,  post  here  so  that  we  can  combine  for  the  next  consignment  15  days  hence.  But  for  me,  I  definitely  will  be  getting  more  cause  the  aim  of  my  fishkeeping  has  shifted  to  Breeding   Cheering  

Regards,
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:07 pm Post subject: Re: Live Daphina and Blood worms. Reply with quote

rasikanayak  wrote  (View  Post):                

Daphnia  collect  in  the  Ice-Cream  tub.  You  even  get  to  eat  Ice-Cream  Chuckle  

Two  packets  of  Daphnia(Or  one  bucket)  resulted  in  this  amount  of  yield.  Ready  for  freezing.

By  mistake  dont  eat  this  thinking  that  its  a  Chocolate  ice-cream  which  is  kept  in  the  freezer...   ROFL     ROFL
alpha91

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:19 pm Post subject: Re: Live Daphina and Blood worms. Reply with quote

Its  Always  exciting  to  get  fishy  stuff  shipped  from  other  cities!  Especially  something  like  decent  live  food!  I  remember  the  days  when  i  was  into  betta  breeding  full  time.  Used  to  get  bloodworms  and  daphnia  from  Mumbai,  and  tubifex  locally.  
 I  second  Nayak  on  the  point  that  there  is  no  better  food  than  live  food!!  

Nayak,
 just  a  suggestion.  Freeze  the  daphnia/Bloodworms  in  fish  bags.  Try  and  remove  as  much  water  as  possible  from  them,  and  freeze  them  as  sheets  on  top  of  one  another.  This  makes  it  much  easier  to  feed.  You  can  just  break  off  a  small  chip  and  feed..
Dr_abhay
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:01 pm Post subject: Re: Live Daphina and Blood worms. Reply with quote

if  i  want  live  blood  and  daphnia  supply  at  least  twice  a  week  at  Pune.
 this  is  for  the  breeding.
 can  anybody  supply  from  Bangalore?
 i  also  need  cultures-  beer  eel,  grindal  worm.
 i  am  coming  to  Bangaluru  on  Feb  11,  2012.
 i  can  collect  the  cutures.
 please  sms  me  on  9822059080.

thanks

dr.  abhay
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:12 pm Post subject: Re: Live Daphina and Blood worms. Reply with quote

josyjames  wrote  (View  Post):                

By  mistake  dont  eat  this  thinking  that  its  a  Chocolate  ice-cream  which  is  kept  in  the  freezer...   ROFL     ROFL                

Shelly,  remember....????

trevor  wrote  (View  Post):                
When  the  fish  go  crazy  and  breeding  activity  goes  in  overdrive  with  such  awesome  colors  it  is  quite  natural  that  the  humble  fish  keepers  also  try  out  the  above  manna  from  Chennai.  Chuckle   Chuckle   Chuckle
 Results  cannot  be  posted  in  a  public  forum.  Smile                

alpha91  wrote  (View  Post):                

Nayak,
 just  a  suggestion.  Freeze  the  daphnia/Bloodworms  in  fish  bags.  Try  and  remove  as  much  water  as  possible  from  them,  and  freeze  them  as  sheets  on  top  of  one  another.  This  makes  it  much  easier  to  feed.  You  can  just  break  off  a  small  chip  and  feed..

True  Shubhankar,  next  time  I  will  have  to  follow  that  procedure  or  add  a  sheet  of  oil  paper  to  the  Ice-Cream  tub  after  every  3mm  layer  of  Daphnia.

Dr_abhay  wrote  (View  Post):                
if  i  want  live  blood  and  daphnia  supply  at  least  twice  a  week  at  Pune.
 this  is  for  the  breeding.
 can  anybody  supply  from  Bangalore?
 i  also  need  cultures-  beer  eel,  grindal  worm.
 i  am  coming  to  Bangaluru  on  Feb  11,  2012.
 i  can  collect  the  cutures.
 please  sms  me  on  9822059080.

thanks

dr.  abhay                

Dr  Abhay,  No  Idea  if  anyone  can  send  Blood  worms  and  Daphnia  from  Bangalore  to  Pune.  Might  be  difficult  in  view  that  we  ourselves  are  procuring  it  from  Chennai.
 Regarding  Grindal  worms,  contact  Vyas  T.K.  He  might  be  having  some.

Regards,
alpha91

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:58 pm Post subject: Re: Live Daphina and Blood worms. Reply with quote

Even  the  oil  paper  should  work  great!  

Dr.Abhay
 Sujit  might  get  them  for  you  once  a  week  when  he  goes  to  Kurla.  Alternatively,  you  can  ask  someone  from  the  Kurla  shops  to  send  it  to  you  every  week.
Amazonian2010
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:49 pm Post subject: Re: Live Daphina and Blood worms. Reply with quote

Nayak,  herculean  task  and  you  have  got  immense  patience…I  must  say..
 Loved  the  quotes  
 “Had   to  steal  a  bucket  from  the  Home  ministry  dept....”,  
 “Using  a  Biryani  take-away  tub  to  pour  the  water  from  the  bucket  into  the  filter.  Side  benefit,  you  get  to  eat  a  Biryani   ”
 “Daphnia  collect  in  the  Ice-Cream  tub.  You  even  get  to  eat  Ice-Cream”

Always  a  pleasure  reading  your  posts...serious  notes  with  humor...
vyastk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:18 pm Post subject: Re: Live Daphina and Blood worms. Reply with quote

Nayak:  Count  me  in  for  the  Bloodworms  any  time  Smile....My  fish  have  had  their  share  of  fresh  blood  worms  and  the  rest  have  already  gone  into  the  freezer

Dr  Abhay:  I  have  the  vinegar  eels  and  Grindal  worm  culture..You  can  pick  them  up  from  me  .  Let  me  know  when  you  are  in  town..
vyastk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:21 pm Post subject: Re: Live Daphina and Blood worms. Reply with quote

BTW...The  dance  of  my  entire  lot  of  Clown  loaches  was  a  sight  to  see  when  I  fed  the  BW!!!...I  haven't  seen  that  in  a  long  time  now!

Thanks  a  zillion  for  the  efforts  Nayak  Smile
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:42 pm Post subject: Re: Live Daphina and Blood worms. Reply with quote

Your  hill-stream  loaches  will  love  you  for  the  Daphnia.
 Its  been  almost  2  years  since  the  kodaguensis  reached  you  Nayak.   Now  that  they  look  coloured  up,  any  early  morning  flashing?   Very Happy
deepakg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:54 pm Post subject: Re: Live Daphina and Blood worms. Reply with quote

Wow!
   this  is  getting  into  the  core  of  the  hobby.  Nanak  and  alpha  please  advice  in  details  for  how  to  clean  the  worms  and  daphnia  before  freezing  them.  
 I  have  a  feeling  that  my  bettas  are  going  to  have  a  party  very  soon.  Rock On
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fish Food All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: