23. Guest
24. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 28,778

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - My Discus!
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

My Discus!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Discuss Discus
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiransankpal
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:47 pm Post subject: Re: My Discus! Reply with quote

Aniket,

I  am  also  out  of  station  from  26th  to  30th.  I  have  stopped  feeding  from  today  itself.

Doing  all  the  stuff  which  has  been  suggested  by  Shiva,  except  covering  the  tanks  with  blanket.  Instead  of  this  I  am  keeping  the  heaters  on  (Jager   and   Rena  ).

Cheers,
StormShadow
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:37 pm Post subject: Re: My Discus! Reply with quote

@jaival  :  Thanks  for  the  compliments.

@Shiva,  aquarius,  Kiran  :  Thanks  a  lot  for  the  quick  replies.

I  do  my  weekly  maintenance  of  the  complete  tank  on  tuesdays.
 So  yesterday  itself  i  have  cleaned  the  entire  tank  along  with  the  equipments.

But  if  my  tomorrow's  departure  gets  finalised  i  will  clean  the  tank  walls,change
 90%  water  &  keep  the  aerator  ON  as  suggested.

@Kiran  :  You  have  2  heaters  in  the  tank,Jager   and   Rena  or  are  you  talking  about  2  different  tanks?Where  can  i  get  them  in  stock  in  Pune?
 How  accurate  and  reliable  are  those?Also  PM  me  the  price  of  each  and  suggest  the  better  of  the  two.

Cheers.
StormShadow
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:26 pm Post subject: Re: My Discus! Reply with quote

Guys  should  i  go  with  what  Shiva  advised  (blanket)  or  would  it  be  better  if  i  get  Jager  heater?Is  it  "100%"  safe  to  keep  it  ON  for  3  days  or  so?
 Need  urgent  reply,going  out  to  get  the  stuff  just  now.leaving  early  morning  tomo.

Cheers.
StormShadow
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:49 pm Post subject: Re: My Discus! Reply with quote

Ok,as  none  replied  to  my  heater  queries  i  did  exactly  like  Shiva  advised.Was  out  only  for  3  days  and  the  fish  are  ok.   Thumb Up  

Now  i  thought  that  why  not  use  this  'fast'  opportuinity  to  make  them  start  accepting  tetrabits  so  i  dont  have  to  fast  them  in  future  aswell.
 But  they  havent  accepted  the  tetrabits  yet.i  soak  the  tetrabits  in  tank  water  for  awhile  and  then  feed  them,but  in  vain!
 They  are  damn  hungry.temp  is  around  30  degrees.

I  did  95%  water  change  yesterday.Today  i  found  web-like/powder-like  poo  in  the  tank  (brown,not  white)..is  it  normal?

Just  hope  it  wont  affect  their  health.Should  i  try  out  for  a  few  more  days  or  start  BHM?Should  i  try  with  tetrabits  when  they  are  older?

Cheers.
Amazonian2010
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:47 pm Post subject: Re: My Discus! Reply with quote

@Stromshadow  I  am  no  Discus  expert  neither  I  am  trying  to  comment  anything  on  Discus.
 I  think  it  is  a  better  idea  to  cover  the  tank  with  Blanket  as  electrical  equipment  no  matter  how  expensive  and  good  they  are,  there  are  always  a  chance  of  malfunction  and  by  God  forbid  if  anything  happens  when  you  are  not  at  town  then  it  will  be  a  disaster  !!!

I  have  a  personal  experience  with  the  same  when  I  lost  my  tank  ful  of  Angels  due  to  this  malfuction.

Always  better  to  be  careful  than  sorry.
StormShadow
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:56 pm Post subject: Re: My Discus! Reply with quote

Yes  Amazonian,i  too  dont  trust  any  electrical  equipment!  I  used  blanket  only.

UPDATE  :  Day  7  of  Fast  :  Still  no  success  with  tetrabits   Sad  

Cheers.
StormShadow
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:32 pm Post subject: Re: My Discus! Reply with quote

UPDATE  :  DAY  8TH  OF  FASTING  ::  1  LSS  started  accepting  Tetrabits  since  yesterday,although  not  wholeheartedly  like  BHM  but  better  something  than  nothing   Smile  
 Other  2  are  not  affected  by  this  LSS  gulping  down  all  the  tetrabits.Still  adamant.

Cheers.
StormShadow
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:43 pm Post subject: Re: My Discus! Reply with quote

IMPORTANT  AND  URGENT  :  Its  day  14  and  only  1  discus  is  accepting  tetrabits...How  long  should  i  continue?Other  2  not  interested  at  all.

Cheers.
adesh8028
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:18 pm Post subject: Re: My Discus! Reply with quote

Its  been  long  time  I've  posted  something  in  discus  section.

About  fasting,  are  you  making  sure  that  the  uneaten  food  is  siphoned  out  after  15-20  mins?
 Usually  it  takes  time  for  discus  who  are  being  only  fed  BHM  to  dry  food.
 Make  sure  to  soak  tetrabits  before  you  feed  them.  This  gives  more  time  for  TB  to  reach  to  discus'  stomach  Smile
 Also  observe  cleanliness  of  the  the  tank.  I  hope,  you  have  got  read  of  the  little  rocks  although  it  is  not  a  problem  however  there  are  chances  of  having  uneaten  food  particles  to  get  settled  underneath  those  rocks.
 Make  sure  not  to  disturb  discus  too  many  times  and  WC  is  being  done  with  the  same  temperature  of  the  tank  water,  especially  in  winter.  BTW,  fishes  go  on  diet  in  winter  season  and  I've  observed  they  do  not  consume  that  much  as  they  do  in  warm  season.

Keep  observing  their  stomach  closely,  if  you  start  seeing  flat  stomachs,  i  guess  its  time  to  return  to  their  favorite  food.  
 All  the  very  best.
Discusolic
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:03 pm Post subject: Re: My Discus! Reply with quote

feed  tetra  bits  mixed  with  BHM  in  small  ratio,  day  by  day  you  can  reduce  the  BHM  qty  and  completely  convert  them  to  tetra  bits  .

Thanks  
 Shiva  Nair
StormShadow
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:22 am Post subject: Re: My Discus! Reply with quote

Thank  you  adesh.Yes  i  feed  them  soaked  tetrabits  only.
 There  is  nothing  left  to  siphon  as  the  one  who  is  accepting  the  tetrabits  eats  all  of  it  in  a  second.The  way  they  usually  eat  BHM   Smile  
 Water  conditions  have  been  maintained  throughout.
 &  yes  i  have  got  rid  of  those  small  pebbles  long  back.

Thanks  Shiva.I  had  tried  the  trick  you  suggested  once  but  they  managed  to  eat  up  BHM  leaving  the  minute  tetrabit  particles  (used  to  crush  them)  in  the  tank.
 Should  i  use  complete  tetrabits  or  should  i  crush  them?

Cheers.
Discusolic
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:59 pm Post subject: Re: My Discus! Reply with quote

[/quote]Should  i  use  complete  tetrabits  or  should  i  crush  them?[quote]
 You  need  to  try  different  method  to  feed  tetra  bits  .
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Discuss Discus All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: