144. Guest
145. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,321

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Plants to exchange with Polish aquarist :)
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Plants to exchange with Polish aquarist Smile
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robi
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:58 am Post subject: Re: Plants to exchange with Polish aquarist Smile Reply with quote

Amazing  collection  !   Clapping
Eureca
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:42 pm Post subject: Re: Plants to exchange with Polish aquarist Smile Reply with quote

"Wayanad"  is  a  district  not  far  for  me  ...  and  i  have  some  friends  who  has  access  to  the  jungle  too  Smile  .

Time  for  another  wild  trekking  :)

http://www.aquaticplantenthusiasts.com/plants/4705-hymenophyllaceae-sp-wayanad.html

Eureca  eureca  :)

and  tomek  u  have  an  excellent  collection  o  ferns  Smile  Kudos
govindsj
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:42 pm Post subject: Re: Plants to exchange with Polish aquarist Smile Reply with quote

Really  a  fantastic  collection.  I  just  loved  Hymenophyllaceae  sp.  Wayanad.

govindsj
ShankarB
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:22 pm Post subject: Re: Plants to exchange with Polish aquarist Smile Reply with quote

On  this  note,  I  have  found  a  lot  of  varieties  of  moss  and  ferns  growing  on  hill  stations  -  right  from  Kodaikanal/  Ooty  to  Uttrakhand  areas.   Is  there  a  chance  that  these  plants  will  grow  in  our  aquariums?   Most  of  them  grow  emmersed  (mostly  on  ever-moist  walls  and  slopes).   So  will  they  catch  up  in  immersed  condition  and  in  all  likelihood  a  higher  temperature?
Tomek
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:09 pm Post subject: Re: Plants to exchange with Polish aquarist Smile Reply with quote

ShankarB  you  should  try  to  put  it  into  water.  If  they  grow  in  huge  humidity  environment  in  nature  so  there  is  a  chance.
Eureca
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:33 pm Post subject: Re: Plants to exchange with Polish aquarist Smile Reply with quote

Quote:                
On  this  note,  I  have  found  a  lot  of  varieties  of  moss  and  ferns  growing  on  hill  stations  -  right  from  Kodaikanal/  Ooty  to  Uttrakhand  areas.   Is  there  a  chance  that  these  plants  will  grow  in  our  aquariums?   Most  of  them  grow  emmersed  (mostly  on  ever-moist  walls  and  slopes).   So  will  they  catch  up  in  immersed  condition  and  in  all  likelihood  a  higher  temperature?

why  dont  you  try  and  post  some  pics  Smile  ,  would  be  happy  to  see  the  results  .  I  am  planning  a  trip  to  waynad  Smile
Tomek
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:09 am Post subject: Re: Plants to exchange with Polish aquarist Smile Reply with quote

Sp  610  growing  well

If  anyone  would  like  to  see  my  bucephalandra  collection,  could  see  it  in  my  FB  site,  or  here  (I  can  also  put  it  in  separate  section  about  Collection  of  Buce)

I  would  like  to  take  this  opportunity  to  inform  you  that  I  am  looking  interesting  small  varieties  of  Bucephalandra  such  as  Lanjak  Entimau  -  pretty  small,  one  of  the  smallest  Buce  I  have  ever  seen,  if  someone  has  that  variety  please  contact  me  vasteq  [at]  tlen  [dot]  pl

-  Copi  Susu  little-sized  variety:
 A  lovely  4-color  little  variety.  Here  we  can  distinguish  colors  such  as  dark  green  of  mature  leaves,  with  glossy  dark-blue  tint.  The  newly  grown  leaves  are  red  with  green  sheen.  One  of  the  most  prized  and  rare  varieties  Bucephalandry.

-  Kedagang  -  medium-sized  variety:
 One  of  the  first  found  and  to  this  day  considered  one  of  the  most  beautiful  varieties  Bucephalandra.  It  is  characterized  by  slightly  wavy  leaves  with  an  unusual  color.  Red  core  plant  contrasts  well  with  dark  blue  color  of  older  leaves.  Young  leaves  are  light  green,  with  a  good  fertilization  can  get  amazing  "glowing"  green  visible  at  different  angles  of  view.  With  time,  the  leaves  become  darker  and  darker  to  give  a  dark  navy  blue  sheen.  The  variety  known  to  be  one  of  the  fastest  growing.

-  Sekadau2  -  little-sized  variety:
 Leaves  are  longitudinal  and  slightly  wavy

-  Kualakuayan1  -  little-sized  variety.  
 The  older  leaves  is  visible  blue  sheen.  It  has  a  distinctive  red  core.  Low  and  creeping  variety:

-  Kayulapis1  -  very  little-sized  variety.  
 Longitudinal,  wavy  leaves  (more  pronounced  in  the  emers  version).

-  Red  Gaia  -  medium-sized  variety.  
 The  bottom  of  the  leaf  is  red.  Slightly  wavy  edge.  Creeping.

-  Metalic  Wave  -  medium-sized  variety.  
 Leaves  are  longitudinal  and  wavy  at  the  edges

-    Pearl  Grey  -  medium-sized  variety,  Rosettes  growth.  It  has  a  very  densely  distributed  spots,  which  gives  it  a  distinctive  appearance,  hence  the  name  "Pearl  Grey".

-    GBV  [Green/Blue/Velvet]  -  medium-sized  variety
 Purchased  with  this  inicial,  I  guess  that  mean  colors,  green  and  blue  (also  you  can  see  purple  on  the  new  leaves)  A  variety  of  longitudinal  leaves.  New  leaves  are  multi-colored  :

-    Velvet  Leaf2  medium-sized  variety
 Long,  thin,  and  wavy  leaves,  new  leaves  are  red  coloured.  

-    Kualakuayan2  medium-sized  variety  with  big  leaves:
 Leaves  of  drop  shape.  Big,  gark  green,  shining  blue.  New  leaves  are  red  coloured

Bucephalandra  Belindae  (I  am  not  satisfied  with  this  pics  so  soon  I  will  change  for  the  better)

vasteq  [at]  tlen  [dot]  pl
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:10 am Post subject: Re: Plants to exchange with Polish aquarist Smile Reply with quote

Maan..  are  you  some  kind  of  psycho,  you  must  be  just  damn  crazy  about  these  plants..
 I  dont  think  any  one  has  such  beautiful  rare  collection  of  these  plants..  wow.
 and  hats  of  to  your  efforts  and  patiance  in  getting  them..   can  we  be  Friends
 so  that  may  be  one  day  you  will  decide  to  send  some  of  them  as  gifts...  Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deathstar
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:21 am Post subject: Re: Plants to exchange with Polish aquarist Smile Reply with quote

Surprised   Surprised   Surprised   dude  from  which  part  of  the  world  are  u  gettin  these  from?  if  you  have  any  excess  of  anything  please  send  us   Smile
ShankarB
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:40 am Post subject: Re: Plants to exchange with Polish aquarist Smile Reply with quote

Mind  blowing.   I  earlier  thought  that  aquarium  is  meant  to  grow  fishes.   But  now,  I'm  enamored  by  all  these  fantastic  plants.   Would  love  to  have  an  aquarium  full  of  these  beautiful  plants  and  just  a  few  fishes,  for  namesake!

OK,  how  to  get  such  plants.   I'm  sure  that  we  can  also  collect  such  plants  form  our  hillside.   I  mean  ferns/  mosses.   Time  for  a  collection  trip?!
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:52 am Post subject: Re: Plants to exchange with Polish aquarist Smile Reply with quote

That's  some  awesome  collection  of  plants.   Thumb Up  

Your  photographs  of  the  plants  also  makes  it  very  beautiful  to  see  them.  Just  love  them.
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:00 pm Post subject: Re: Plants to exchange with Polish aquarist Smile Reply with quote

Tomek,
 Nice  plants  and  pics.

ShankarB  wrote  (View  Post):                
Mind  blowing.   I  earlier  thought  that  aquarium  is  meant  to  grow  fishes.   But  now,  I'm  enamored  by  all  these  fantastic  plants.   Would  love  to  have  an  aquarium  full  of  these  beautiful  plants  and  just  a  few  fishes,  for  namesake!

OK,  how  to  get  such  plants.   I'm  sure  that  we  can  also  collect  such  plants  form  our  hillside.   I  mean  ferns/  mosses.   Time  for  a  collection  trip?!                

But  are  they  truly  aquatic?  Can  they  be  grown  submerged  or  are  they  bog  plants  which  can  withstand  periods  of  water  logging?

Regards,
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:29 pm Post subject: Re: Plants to exchange with Polish aquarist Smile Reply with quote

ShankarB  wrote  (View  Post):                

you  bet  Shankar...  lets  get  our  gear  and  roll,  any  body  else  wanna  join?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ShankarB
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:29 pm Post subject: Re: Plants to exchange with Polish aquarist Smile Reply with quote

Nayak,  as  Tomek  says  we  should  perhaps  give  a  try?   Mosses  and  ferns  that  grow  in  hill  stations  are  rooted  in  pretty  soggy,  or  at  least  'wet  for  the  most  part  of  the  year'  substrates.   So  perhaps  they'll  grow  under  water  as  well?   I  do  have  questions  about  the  temperature  though.

[Btw,  I  have  tried  growing  a  couple  of  plants  that  I  found  on  wet  walls  in  immersed  conditions.   Most  failed,  i.e.  started  to  rot,  but  showed  some  adaptation,  but  did  not  thrive  in  the  long  run.   Perhaps,  my  lights,  substrates  could  have  played  a  part.   An  expert  aquarium  keeper  might  get  more  concrete  results.]
Tomek
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:18 pm Post subject: Re: Plants to exchange with Polish aquarist Smile Reply with quote

Quote:                
But  are  they  truly  aquatic?  Can  they  be  grown  submerged  or  are  they  bog  plants  which  can  withstand  periods  of  water  logging?                

You  mean  Bucephalandra  right?  Some  of  them  grow  in  strong  water  current  of  river,  some  growing  on  land,  and  they  are  periodically  flooded  by  water  in  rainy  season.  But  all  kind  of  buce  can  grow  underwater  and  change  to  submerse.  Leaves  are  becoming  soft  and  more  coloured.  I  heard  about  the  principle  that  Buce  with  narrow  leaves  are  growing  slowly,  smaller  species  growing  also  slowly  (the  most  slowly  is  probably  Lanjak  Entimau).  But  rate  of  growth  is  different  in  each  species.  For  example  the  one  of  faster  rate  of  growth  are  Kedagang,  Kualakuayan2,  Red  gaia,  Sintang.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: