13. Guest
14. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 28,849

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Need help with substrate
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Need help with substrate

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Substrates, Rocks, Driftwood and Decorations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoenix1024
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:06 pm Post subject: Need help with substrate Reply with quote

For  over  a  month  now  I've  been  using  black  mosaic  stones  bought  from  a  hardware  store  as  my  substrate.  The  reason  being,  i  wanted  a  dark  substrate  and  the  LFS  didn't  have  anything  as  such.
 Anyways  I  did  the  Vinegar  test  (which  I  did  earlier  too  but  came  negative  'Confused'  )  again  today  and  noticed  bubbling   Crying or Very sad  .  This  means  I  need  to  remove  it  right  ??
 The  stones  I  have  currently..

Now,  I  have  2  sackful  of  Construction  Sand  at  home.  

Can  I  use  this  as  substrate  ?  I  have  read  before  it  can  cause  problems  (anaerobic  decay  etc.)  but  again  seen  quite  a  number  of  people  using  the  same...  Confused   Confused   Confused

Last edited by phoenix1024 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:00 pm Post subject: Re: Substrate Emergency.... Help !!!! Reply with quote

Just  how  is  this  an  emergency  ?
 Please  use  words  in  proper  context.
phoenix1024
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:29 pm Post subject: Re: Need help with Substrate Reply with quote

Sorry  !!!  U're  absolutely  right.  That's  misleading.
 I  used  'emergency'  because  that  'gravel'  has  been  in  my  tank  for  over  a  month  now.  Now  I'm  worried  how  it  has  affected  my  set  up.  I  lost  a  huge  number  of  fish  about  2  weeks  ago,  although  that  was  quite  some  time  after  I  added  those  stones.

Anyways,  I  will  edit  the  heading  now  if  I  can.  Also,  can  u  help  me  with  my  query  ?
nanomania
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:27 am Post subject: Re: Need help with substrate Reply with quote

well  just  go  for  river  sand  with  ADA  as  base.  Have  been  doing  this  since  2  years  now  with  success.  you  can  use  only  river  sand  too  but  the  growth  will  be  a  bit  slow  (if  thats  ok  for  you)  i  am  growing  plants  without  ADA  too  in  my  shrimp  tank.  its  the  best  thing  you  can  do.  construction  sand  has  no  clay  so  no  nutrients  for  plants  untill  you  dose  liquid  fert.  but  that  will  cause  algae  bloom.......  i  have  river  sand  left  with  me.  PM  me  if  you  want.
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:03 pm Post subject: Re: Need help with substrate Reply with quote

The  pieces  in  first  picture  are  too  big  and  useless  in  tanks.
 You  will  need  to  sieve  river  sand  2-3  mm  size  particles  are  best  for  planted  tanks.
 You  can  prevent  the  substrate  from  going  anaerobic  by  using  plants  with  deep  root  systems.  Such  plants  keep  the  substrate  aerated.
 I  have  had  planted  tank  with  such  substrate  for  over  three  years  without  any  problem.
phoenix1024
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:05 pm Post subject: Re: Need help with substrate Reply with quote

sandeepraghuvanshi  wrote  (View  Post):                
The  pieces  in  first  picture  are  too  big  and  useless  in  tanks.
 You  will  need  to  sieve  river  sand  2-3  mm  size  particles  are  best  for  planted  tanks.
 You  can  prevent  the  substrate  from  going  anaerobic  by  using  plants  with  deep  root  systems.  Such  plants  keep  the  substrate  aerated.
 I  have  had  planted  tank  with  such  substrate  for  over  three  years  without  any  problem.                

Actually  my  tank  isn't  planted,  mainly  because  of  inadequate  lighting  (15  Watt  in  50  Gal).  Owing  to  power  consumption  issues  I  can't  get  stronger  lights.  
 Anyways,thanks  a  lot  for  the  reply.

nanomania  wrote  (View  Post):                
well  just  go  for  river  sand  with  ADA  as  base.  Have  been  doing  this  since  2  years  now  with  success.  you  can  use  only  river  sand  too  but  the  growth  will  be  a  bit  slow  (if  thats  ok  for  you)  i  am  growing  plants  without  ADA  too  in  my  shrimp  tank.  its  the  best  thing  you  can  do.  construction  sand  has  no  clay  so  no  nutrients  for  plants  untill  you  dose  liquid  fert.  but  that  will  cause  algae  bloom.......  i  have  river  sand  left  with  me.  PM  me  if  you  want.                

Wish  I  could  afford  ADA  Razz.  As  I  mentioned  above,  my  tank  isn't  planted.  Is  river  sand  different  from  Construction  sand  ?
Linelogic
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:20 pm Post subject: Re: Need help with substrate Reply with quote

Both  are  the  same.  Construction  sand  is  actually  got  from  river  banks  or  from  the  shallow  river  beds.
phoenix1024
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:36 pm Post subject: Re: Need help with substrate Reply with quote

Linelogic  wrote  (View  Post):                
Both  are  the  same.  Construction  sand  is  actually  got  from  river  banks  or  from  the  shallow  river  beds.                

That's  what  i  was  thinking.  Thanks  for  the  clarification.
nanomania
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:48 pm Post subject: Re: Need help with substrate Reply with quote

phoenix1024  wrote  (View  Post):                

Nope  its  not.  construction  sand  dosend  have  any  CLAY  it  might  be  coming  from  rivers  but  there  are  many  rivers  and  everywhere  the  soil  there  is  different.  some  rivers  have  rich  vegetation  due  to  its  soil  and  nurtients  thats  where  the  sand  comes  from....  ADA  is  expensive  but  value  for  money.  thats  why  i  use  1/4th  ada  and  rest  is  riversoil  for  my  main  tanks,  rest  i  use  only  river  sand.  even  my  shrimp  breeding  tripled....
phoenix1024
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:53 pm Post subject: Re: Need help with substrate Reply with quote

Nope  its  not.  construction  sand  dosend  have  any  CLAY  it  might  be  coming  from  rivers  but  there  are  many  rivers  and  everywhere  the  soil  there  is  different.  some  rivers  have  rich  vegetation  due  to  its  soil  and  nurtients  thats  where  the  sand  comes  from....  ADA  is  expensive  but  value  for  money.  thats  why  i  use  1/4th  ada  and  rest  is  riversoil  for  my  main  tanks,  rest  i  use  only  river  sand.  even  my  shrimp  breeding  tripled....                

Ohh.
phoenix1024
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:54 pm Post subject: Re: Need help with substrate Reply with quote

Ohh.
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:02 am Post subject: Re: Need help with substrate Reply with quote

Did  not  get  your  point.
 If  construction  sand  does  not  come  from  rivers,  then  where  does  it  come  from  ?
phoenix1024
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:31 am Post subject: Re: Need help with substrate Reply with quote

I  heard  somewhere  construction  sand  tends  to  raise  hardness/pH  over  time.  Is  that  true  ?  Isn't  sand  supposed  to  be  inert  ?
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Substrates, Rocks, Driftwood and Decorations All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: