205. Guest
206. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,772

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Fish Bowl Help needed n will b appreciated!
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Fish Bowl Help needed n will b appreciated!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> New Members and Beginners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bhavish
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:35 pm Post subject: Fish Bowl Help needed n will b appreciated! Reply with quote

Hey  i  have  a  small  fish  bowl  which  has  a  capacity  of  about  7  liters  of  water,  when  empty,  no  pebbles,  no  plants  etc.

I  want  help  setting  it  up....I  definately  want  to  have  a  Crowntailed  Betta.What  other  fishes  n  how  many  of  them??
 And  how  do  u  clean  the  bowl  which  has  pebbles  n  an  artificial  plant?
shreyas023
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:53 pm Post subject: Re: Fish Bowl Help needed n will b appreciated! Reply with quote

Hi  bhavish,
 The  bowl  is  too  small  for  a  crowntail  betta.  It  won't  have  the  kind  of  space  it  needs.  I  have  a  bowl  and  it  is  not  tough  to  clean  but  its  very  tough  to  maintain  the  parameters.  Plus  if  u  want  to  keep  a  betta  dont  put  an  artificial     plant.  Please  wait  for  commentsfrom  more  experienced  members
deepakg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:05 pm Post subject: Re: Fish Bowl Help needed n will b appreciated! Reply with quote

If  its  seven  liters  of  water  then  its  good  enough  for  a  betta  .  But  its  better  not  to  use  a  bowl.  Instead  you  can  buy  a  one  feet  rectangle.  And  add  silk  plants.
aquariumer
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:43 pm Post subject: Re: Fish Bowl Help needed n will b appreciated! Reply with quote

you  would  not  be  able  to  view  beauty  of  your   betta  in  bowl  due  to  curved  dimension
elimoses3
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:14 pm Post subject: Re: Fish Bowl Help needed n will b appreciated! Reply with quote

I  really  dont  understand  why  or  how  7  ltr  of  water  is  good  enough  for  a  betta  .  I  feel  like   Sad   Sad   Surprised   Surprised   Wall Bang   Wall Bang   Wall Bang   Whip      Mad   Punch  at  such  an  attitude  towards  beta  splendens  .  Can  anyone  really  justify  it????

It  is  pure  cruelty  torture  and  ignorance  period.
deepakg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:30 pm Post subject: Re: Fish Bowl Help needed n will b appreciated! Reply with quote

Also  bowl  breaks  very  easily.  Once  i  broke  it  while  cleaning.  It  gave  me  a  nasty  cut  on  two  of  my  fingers.  
 So  better  get  a  bb  tank  with  silk  plants.  With  a  nice  blue  background.
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:55 am Post subject: Re: Fish Bowl Help needed n will b appreciated! Reply with quote

elimoses3  wrote  (View  Post):                
I  really  dont  understand  why  or  how  7  ltr  of  water  is  good  enough  for  a  betta  .  I  feel  like   Sad   Sad   Surprised   Surprised   Wall Bang   Wall Bang   Wall Bang   Whip      Mad   Punch  at  such  an  attitude  towards  beta  splendens  .  Can  anyone  really  justify  it????

It  is  pure  cruelty  torture  and  ignorance  period.                

Moses..  I  can  understand  your  frustration.
 My  suggestion..  Bhavish,  forget  the  bowl  -  It  has  more  negatives  than  positives,  buy  a  12"  cube  if  you  wanna  keep  the  betta  happy  -  and  yourself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ram_a_rosi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:31 am Post subject: Re: Fish Bowl Help needed n will b appreciated! Reply with quote

Yes  yes  yes  bhavish  go  for  a  rectangle  tank.  keep  the  bowl  as  a  quarantine  or  hosp  tank
sreeni_mysore
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:25 pm Post subject: Re: Fish Bowl Help needed n will b appreciated! Reply with quote

I  have  kept  Betta  in  a  10  inch  bowl.
 The  fish  is  very  happy  and  feeds  from  my  hand.  It  makes  lots  of  bubbles.
 Please  go  through  this  link  for  details  
 http://bettabowl.50webs.com/.

~Sreeni
nanomania
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:08 pm Post subject: Re: Fish Bowl Help needed n will b appreciated! Reply with quote

JUST  1  BETTA........  ¬†aNYWAYS  BOWL  SUCKS  BIG  TIME  because  ITS  A  TORTURE  TO  KEEP  OTHER  TYPES  OF  FISH....
bluejavas
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:38 pm Post subject: Re: Fish Bowl Help needed n will b appreciated! Reply with quote

Hi  Bhavish,

As  about  size  of  the  Bowl:  
 First  and  foremost,  7  liters  of  water  is  more  than  sufficient  for  single  crowntail  betta.  So  Please  go  ahead  but   don't  add  any  other  fishes  in  addition  to  this.

As  about  plants:
 You  can  add  little  pebbles  as  well  any  live  aquarium  plants  which  is  small  in  size.  I  never  recommend  any  artificial  plants.
 On  wood/stone  you  can  tie  :  anubia/coffefolia/java  fern  etc.
 on  sand  filled  small  pot:  mint,dwarf  amazon  etc.  (Still  if  you  need  I  will  give  the  list  of  plants  and  in  this  case  avoid  using  pebbles  as  it  reduces  the  volume  of  the  water).
 I  Highly  prefer,  anubia/fern  varieties  if  it  is  a  bowl.

As  about  cleaning:

Take  the  top  layer  bowl  water  in  a  mug  of  about  one  litre  and  remove  the  fish  from  the  bowl  and  transfer  to  mug  which  holds  old  bowl  water.
 Now  clean  all  pebbles  and  plants   as  well  the  bowl  just  to  remove  any  debris.  Big  No  to  detergent.
 Infact  you  can  also  clean  the  potted  plants  in  slow  running  tap  water.

Now  add  new  water  to  a  bowl  +  Old  water  from  the   mug  then  add  the   plants  and  transfer  the  fish.  Please  follow  the  following  while  chaning  the  water.  Initially,

Week  1  =  25%  of  new  water  adding  with  75%  of  old  water  retained
 Week  2  =  50%  adding  new  and  reataining  old  50%
 Week  3  =  75%  adding  new  and  reataining  old  25%  (continue  for  life  long).........source  from  google  search  engine.

Please  note,  You  can  keep  a  fish  healthy  in  this  bowl,  but  you  cannot  enjoy  the  beauty  of  the  fish  unless  if  it  is  not  in  a  rectangle  type  tank.  I  always  prefer  BIG  Tanks.

happy  fish  keeping!!!!!!!
 bye
 aShOk
 Bangalore
coonooranand
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:52 pm Post subject: Re: Fish Bowl Help needed n will b appreciated! Reply with quote

Ya  man  its  true.  I  have  been  growing  guppy  for  several  years  and  once  i  went  to  a  friends  house  who  is  a  novice  in  our  hobby.  I  saw  several  big  sized  guppy  and  was  really  puzzled  and  disappointed.  Finally  found  the  bowls  trick!!!
Bhavish
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:36 pm Post subject: Re: Fish Bowl Help needed n will b appreciated! Reply with quote

First  of  all,  Thanks  for  the  response  Guys,  i  never  expected  such  prompt  replies!

Will  consider  buying  a  rectangular  tank....OR  checking  out  the  DIY  forum...I  saw  a  lot  of  ppl  making  their  own  tanks  with  window  glass  n  silicone...mebe  i  can  do  that?!?
 Agreed  the  Betta  Splendens  is  a  fish  that  really  gets  you  to  fall  in  love  using  BOTH  its  personality  n  its  looks.....this  bowl  was  there  as  a  gift  from  someone  14yrs  back  n  what  i  remember  outof  the  6  fish  (YES  I  WAS  GIFTED  6  FISH,  AN  ARTIFICIAL  PLANT,  PEBBLES  &  AN  OXYGEN  ACHINE  THAT  MADE  BUBBLES  IN  THE  WATER!!!   Shocked  )
 Is  the  betta  &  2  mollys...Anyways  i  was  a  kid  then  n  the  fish  all  died  within  a  year,  i  was  damn  upset  at  their  death  n  packed  off  the  bowl...now  im  26  n  i  really  want  a  successful  attempt  at  the  bowl.

If  not  betta  is  there  another  fish/pair  of  fishes  that  would  look  n  live  good  here??  

P.S.  the  erstwhile  fish  had  violently  pecked  @  the  plastic  plant........  All  the  particles  fell  to  the  bottom  n  managed  to  seep  through  into  the  gaps  in  the  dark  coloured  pebbles....i  remember  that  too.
Bhavish
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:58 pm Post subject: Re: Fish Bowl Help needed n will b appreciated! Reply with quote

Elimoses...Relax  its  not  yet  set  up....im  trying  to  get  some  knowlege...I  love  animals  way  more  than  humans  &  dont  tolerate  any  cruelty  to  them  myself...But  if  you  really  want  to  see  cruelty  come  to  Mumbais  Crawford  Market!

Deepak...Thanks  for  the  heads  up  on  fragility  of  bowls...

Thanks  Srindi...Ill  research  on  the  Cube

Thank  u  Ramdas  Smile  

Sreeni  the  likn  doesnt  open...pls  post  me  an  alternative...

Veeral  -  Back  at  u  man     Cheer  

Ashok  special  thanks  for  the  detailed  answer,  this  is  why  i  turned  to  IAH  because  the  LFS  arent  of  MUCH  help!

Anand  ...TKS
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:15 pm Post subject: Re: Fish Bowl Help needed n will b appreciated! Reply with quote

I  would  suggest  you  to  keep  a  1sq  foot  tank  rather  than  a  bowl.  There  are  lots  of  restrictions  on  keeping  a  bowl.  Its  too  fragile,  difficult  to  clean,  need  to  change  the  water  too  often,  to  get  a  right  filter,  lighting  for  a  bowl  etc  etc.

When  you  go  for  a  1sq  foot  tank,  you  get  all  the  above  and  you  will  have  no  issues  in  keeping  fishes  in  it.  You  get  various  kinds  of  filter,  light  when  you  choose  a  nano  tank.   Thumb Up
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  New Members and Beginners All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: