106. Guest
107. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,484

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Breeding livebearer's - Expert feedback is needed
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Breeding livebearer's - Expert feedback is needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Breeding & Fry Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ksandy01
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:11 pm Post subject: Breeding livebearer's - Expert feedback is needed Reply with quote

Hello  Everyone,

I  wanted  to  understand  if  I  can  breed  livebearers(Guppy  &  Molly  to  Begin  with)  in  a  moderate  size  plastic  tank(say  100  Liters  or  so).

Primarily,  My  idea  is  to  setup  &  keep  this  tank  on  my  Terrace  such  that  direct  sunlight  would  be  available  for  2-3  hours  daily.  The  tank  would  be  heavily  planted  &  I  am  planning  to  keep  some  floating  plants  too.  Finally  Choose  trios  of  Guppy  &  Molly(say  2  trio's  of  each  to  begin  with)  &  keep  them  in  this  tank.

Do  you  all  think,  this  is  a  good  approach  to  begin  with  if  I  am  thinking  to  Breed  them  in  such  setup?  Do  you  think  is  it  going  to  work?  if  not,  what  could  be  done  in  order  to  make  sure  they  breed  and  grow  in  an  environment  which  is  closest  possible  to  what  nature  provides.....

Any  assistance  is  highly  appreciated.

Thanks.
 Sandy
Ram_a_rosi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:35 pm Post subject: Re: Breeding livebearer's - Expert feedback is needed Reply with quote

Sandy  

I  have  lots  of  them  in  my  bucket  breeding  crazily....
ksandy01
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:47 pm Post subject: Re: Breeding livebearer's - Expert feedback is needed Reply with quote

Ram_a_rosi

Thanks  for  your  comment.

Let  me  tell  you  little  background  of  my  thought  process.

Basically,  My  Mollies  are  breeding  like  crazy  in  my  Aquarium.  However,  for  some  reasons,  fries  are  not  surviving  so  far.  I  am  removing  them  in  a  seperate  small  tank  but  I  think,  there  is  something  wrong  in  the  process.

So  I  thought  why  not  setup  something  like  a  bigger  plastic  tank  &  do  it  that  way.  One  question  for  you.

Are  you  able  to  breed  and  make  these  fries  to  mature  age?  in  other  words  do  you  think  the  approach  I  am  planning  to  take  will  work  and  whether  will  I  be  able  to  survive  many  fries?  would  it  be  possible  to  upload  /  share  a  photograph  of  your  setup?  So  I  can  do  mine  accordingly?

my  email  Id  is  ksandy01  [at]  hotmail  [dot]  com

Thanks  for  you  time  &  feedback.

Regards.
 Sandy
vipin
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:21 pm Post subject: Re: Breeding livebearer's - Expert feedback is needed Reply with quote

Sandy,  most  likely  it  seems  to  be  food,  movement  to  another  tank  or  bad  water  quality.  I've  been  able  to  get  atleast  15  black  molly  fries  every  time  and  that  too  in  a  10  inch  bowl.  Here  is  what  I  do..

1)  Seperate  the  female  to  my  bowl  and  put  it  inside  the  breeder  box.
 2)  do  not  overfeed  the  female,  excess  food  may  pollute  the  tank
 3)  Put  some  plants  that  grows  fast,  they  will  be  helpful  in  eating  up  nitrates
 4)  I  feed  them  microworms  and  algae  from  the  outdoor  tub.  After  a  week  or  two,  they  can  be  removed

They  are  the  most  easy  ones  to  breed  and  do  not  need  any  special  care.
crazyomzi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:22 am Post subject: Re: Breeding livebearer's - Expert feedback is needed Reply with quote

hey  sandy  your  setup  will  work  for  sure....i  have  a  similar  plastic  container  setup  on  my  terrace
 here  is  the  link  for  your  ref

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVlNOkYpq5o

the  setup  is  a  little  diff  now,  its  dense  and  the  guppies  are  replaced  by  endlers

and  please  update  your  location  so  that  fellow  hobbyist  can  help  u  better
ksandy01
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:32 am Post subject: Re: Breeding livebearer's - Expert feedback is needed Reply with quote

Thanks  vipin  &  crazyomzi(Thanks  for  sharing  a  video  link,  that  will  help)

@vipin,  Based  on  your  comments  I  have  few  basic  doubts.

1)  Seperate  the  female  to  my  bowl  and  put  it  inside  the  breeder  box.  -  I  am  doing  this  
 2)  do  not  overfeed  the  female,  excess  food  may  pollute  the  tank  -  I  will  do  this,  thanks  for  this  tip
 3)  Put  some  plants  that  grows  fast,  they  will  be  helpful  in  eating  up  nitrates  -  Do  you  mean  just  put  the  plants  floating  in  the  bowl?  or  use  substrate  and  do  it  permantly?
 4)  I  feed  them  microworms  and  algae  from  the  outdoor  tub.  After  a  week  or  two,  they  can  be  removed  
 -So  far  I  fed  them  pallets  &  crushed  tetra  bits,  is  it  mandatory  to  fed  them  microworms?  is  that  the  reason  they  are  not  surviving?

Few  more  questions.
 1)How  do  you  change  water  from  bowl?  how  often  you  do  it?  how  much  you  do  it?
 2)Do  you  have  Oxygen  pipe  in  the  bowl  running  all  the  time?
 3)Have  you  moving  fries  here  &  there  after  their  birth  or  they  are  always  in  the  bowl?

I  am  trying  to  figure  out  the  mistake  I  have  been  doing  almost  from  last  3-4  months.

Sandy
crazyomzi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:15 pm Post subject: Re: Breeding livebearer's - Expert feedback is needed Reply with quote

fast  growing  plants  like  hydrilla  and  hornwort  can  are  good  and  u  can  keep  them  floating...
 there  is  no  specific  food  u  have  to  feed  the  fry  but  be  sure  that  they  consume  it  and  u  dont  overfeed  them...

moving  the  fry  when  from  one  aquarium  to  another  is  not  at  all  recommended  as  the  2  aquarium  will  never  have  the  same  water  parameters.....
 use  airline  tube  to  slowly  remove  the  waste  of  the  fry  and  any  uneaten  food.

guppies  and  mollies  are  the  easiest  to  breed....

if  u  will  keep  a  tub  as  i  have  done  with  a  lot  of  plants  then  u  need  not  even  move  the  female  to  a  bowl  and  all  the  other  stuff.....the  female  will  give  birth  to  the  fry  and  by  natural  instincts  they  will  hide....the  will  be  some  loss  though  but  then  is  the  natural  way.
Mits
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:35 pm Post subject: Re: Breeding livebearer's - Expert feedback is needed Reply with quote

u  can  feed  them  with  live  baby  brine  shimp...It'll  work  great
ksandy01
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:55 pm Post subject: Re: Breeding livebearer's - Expert feedback is needed Reply with quote

Thanks  for  the  tips,  I  will  follow  them  and  update  you  all  further.

@crazyomzi  -  One  last  question.  How  are  you  changing  the  water  in  the  bowl?  daily  /  weekly?  20-30%  fresh  water?

Sandy
crazyomzi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:44 pm Post subject: Re: Breeding livebearer's - Expert feedback is needed Reply with quote

i  dnt  have  a  bowl  sandy.
 but  u  can  do  it  with  the  airline  tube
 u  can  either  suck  the  water  out  with  your  mouth(not  recommended)  or  just  fill  the  airline  tube  with  water  put  one  end  in  the  bowl  and  the  other  in  a  bucket  or  any  container  which  u  r  using.

u  can  fill  the  tube  either  by  dipping  it  in  the  bowl  or  using  tap.
ksandy01
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:42 am Post subject: Re: Breeding livebearer's - Expert feedback is needed Reply with quote

Great.  Thanks  everyone  for  these  tips...

Will  implement  the  ideas  for  my  next  Molly  batch  &  will  share  you  the  results...

Sandy
vipin
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:34 pm Post subject: Re: Breeding livebearer's - Expert feedback is needed Reply with quote

Hi  Sandy,

3)  Put  some  plants  that  grows  fast,  they  will  be  helpful  in  eating  up  nitrates  -  Do  you  mean  just  put  the  plants  floating  in  the  bowl?  or  use  substrate  and  do  it  permantly?  
 ---  No  need  to  permanently  fix  plants.  Use  a  bucket  that  comes  along  with  plants,  that  makes  it  portable.  I  do  not  know  the  name  of  the  plant  which  I  use,  please  see  the  pic  to  identify  the  plant  that  I  use.

-So  far  I  fed  them  pallets  &  crushed  tetra  bits,  is  it  mandatory  to  fed  them  microworms?  is  that  the  reason  they  are  not  surviving?  
 ---  Live  worm's  most  important  advantage  is  that  it  doesn't  decay  unlike  pellet  food  and  hence  safer,  less  of  water  change.  I  failed  miscerably  when  I  used  the  powered  pellet  food  in  my  initial  days  when  a  little  extra  made  things  go  really  bad.  If  you  are  in  Pune/Mumbai  I  can  give  you  the  starter  culture  for  microworms.  Its  totally  maintainence  free,  all  you  need  is  a  4  inch  dia  plastic  sweetbox  or  something  similar  and  a  slice  of  bread,  it  runs  for  a  month,  occassionally  spraying  water.

For  mollies,  specially  black  ones,  algae  is  also  a  best  source  of  food.  Growing  that  is  also  very  easy.  An  unattended  outdoor  tub  will  help  you  grow  algae.

Few  more  questions.  
 1)How  do  you  change  water  from  bowl?  how  often  you  do  it?  how  much  you  do  it?  
 ---water  change  is  not  very  often.  I  change  it  weekly  -  20%  or  less.  What  I  do  is  to  suck  out  the  mulm  at  the  bottom  of  the  tank  using  an  airpipe  as  often  as  I  can.

2)Do  you  have  Oxygen  pipe  in  the  bowl  running  all  the  time?  
 ----  Yes,  the  bubbling  is  done  by  DIY  filter  run  using  airline  pipe  which  disturbs  the  surface.

3)Have  you  moving  fries  here  &  there  after  their  birth  or  they  are  always  in  the  bowl?  
 ---  I  never  touch  them  till  they  are  2-3  weeks  old.  Avoid  changing  their  environment  as  much  as  possible.  But  for  mollies  you  can  easily  move  it  out  in  a  week  time,  since  they  have  a  decent  size.
Mahend
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:11 am Post subject: Need Grindal Worms / White Worms in pune Reply with quote

Hi  Vipin,

Let  me  know  if  you  have  Grindal  Worms  /  White  Worms.  I  would  like  to  get  the  starter,  I  would  be  very  thankfull  for  providing  me  the  starter  ?

Thanks
 Regards
 Mahend
ksandy01
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:03 am Post subject: Re: Breeding livebearer's - Expert feedback is needed Reply with quote

Vipin,

Thanks  for  your  feedback,  would  it  be  possible  to  provide  the  culture  you  are  talking  about?  I  am  in  Pune,

Can  you  PM  your  email  address?  I  can  then  provide  /  call  you  on  your  contact  number  &  then  we  can  decide  when  /  where  to  meet  as  per  your  convinience?  

my  mail  Id  is  ksandy01  [at]  hotmail  [dot]  com

Thanks  a  lot.

Sandy
vipin
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:11 pm Post subject: Re: Breeding livebearer's - Expert feedback is needed Reply with quote

Please  check  your  PM  Sandy
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Breeding & Fry Care All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: