175. Guest
176. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,810

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Another DIY 3D background in making
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Another DIY 3D background in making
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> DIY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adesh8028
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:08 pm Post subject: Another DIY 3D background in making Reply with quote

Hi  All,

After  having  a  lot  of  trouble  with  natural  laterite  rock  structure  for  my  tang  tank,  3  weeks  back  I  decided  to  start  DIY  background.

The  main  reasons  to  go  for  it  over  the  earlier  scape  were
 1.  Lot  of  debris  in  the  gaps,  creating  unhealthy  environment
 2.  The  WC  and  siphoning  process  was  cumbersome
 3.  Too  many  hiding  places  made  frontosa  a  little  shy
 4.  Rock  arrangement  was  risky  as  they  were  not  fixed  with  silicone  or  any  adhesive.
 5.  Scratches  on  the  glass  as  the  small  rocks  kept  falling

OK,  to  start  with;  I  removed  all  rocks  and  kept  only  a  few  at  the  bottom.  This  has  made  frontosa  a  little  brave  and  I  can  see  they  coming  for  food.  Not  great  improvement  but  a  little.

Material  Used
 1.  Thermocol  sheets  -  one  can  get  as  thick  sheet(s)  as  they  want  to
 2.  Fevicol
 3.  Silicone  -  for  pasting  the  background  to  glass
 4.  Silicone  gun
 5.  Construction  grade  cement
 6.  Painting  brush  4"  width
 7.  Old  newspapers
 8.  Cutter
 9.  Cement  paint  (optional)

I  had  a  lot  of  thermocol  sheets  lying  with  me  as  part  of  excess  sheets  to  cover  my  discus  tanks.  Since  I've  left  keeping  discus,  I  thought  to  make  use  of  these.
 So,  started  with  the  front  side  with  pasting  the  sheets  with  silicone  -  First  mistake.  As  I  had  1cm  thick  sheets  and  I  had  to  make  a  background  with  depths  and  valley  I  was  forced  to  put  silicone  only  on  the  sides  and  cross  from  the  corners  to  be  cost  effective.  This  has  resulted  sheets  to  come  out  when  I  started  cutting.

This  has  taught  me  lesson  and  I  used  fevicol  for  pasting  subsequent  sheets.  The  fevicol  was  diluted  in  water  to  make  it  little  easy  for  spreading  it  to  cover  whole  sheet.  The  result  was  amazing  after  it  dried  out  -  as  stiff  as  a  plywood  :)

The  joints  were  pasted  (again  with  fevicol  with  little  pressure  on  the  sides)  to  make  it  fit  the  tank's  width.  BTW,  the  drying  of  fevicol  took  a  day.  Picture  below

After  it  dried,  started  with  designing  the  rock  sculpture.

And  the  same  day  (in  fact  it  started  in  the  evening  and  was  doing  it  late  in  the  night  -  around  1am),  I  started  cutting  it.  Believe  me,  the  cutting  was  so  cumbersome  as  it  creates  a  lot  of  mess.  And  since  it  was  late  in  the  night,  I  had  to  be  maid  to  clean  it   ROFL   

After  the  cutting  part,  a  single  coat  of  cement  with  brush  was  applied.  The  cement  mix  was  watery  to  make  sure  to  cover  each  and  every  corner  of  the  scape.  And  a  picture  of  the  scape  next  morning.

As  you  can  see  the  joints  were  still  visible  and  they  were  still  shaky/unstable  when  i  tied  to  lift.  In  order  to  make  joints  more  firm  and  to  give  them  strength,  I  mixed  cement  with  fevicol  and  water  to  put  the  mixture  into  the  gaps.  After  2  days,  the  joints  were  amazingly  stiff.  Then  came  the  2nd  coat  of  cement.  This  time  it  was  much  thicker  than  the  previous  one.  And  then  the  next  coat.  Remember  to  have  each  coat  thicker  than  the  previous  one.

The  joints  were  not  visible,  thanks  to  the  brilliant  mixture  of  cement/fevicol/water.  And  of-course  2  coats  with  thick  cement  also  made  it  look  as  one  piece.  The  scape  needed  to  be  kept  damp  for  at  least  2  days  before  the  next  coat  is  applied.  Since  I  missed  a  few  sprinkling  schedules,  I  started  seeing  some  cracks  on  the  scape.  Then  again  I  applied  a  little  coat  spread  of  thin  cement/fevicol/water  mixture.  After  the  3rd  coat,  the  background  started  looking  good.

That's  my  cousin  holding  the  background.  It  was  soothing  to  eyes,  however  I  was  not  fully  satisfied  with  the  flat  look  of  the  rocks,  I  wanted  to  have  them  as  natural  as  they  can  look  with  some  uneven  surfaces.  Hence  started  with  another  mind-blowing  idea  of  making  use  of  old  newspaper  soaked  in  water  to  make  it.  Used  a  lot  of  newspapers  soaked  in  water  and  applied  some  fevicol  to  have  some  binding  and  pasted  them  on  the  background.

Again,  after  2  coats  of  cements  on  whole  background,  currently  it  is  looking  like  this

It  is  still  in  drying/curing  stage,  where  after  that  I  will  see  if  cement  paint  can  be  applied.  I've  got  "Dark  Gray"  cement  paint  for  this  purpose.

Comments/Suggestions/Questions  are  welcome.

I  will  also  keep  this  thread  updated  with  progress  on  it.

Regards,
 Adesh
jabba
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:19 pm Post subject: Re: Another DIY 3D background in making Reply with quote

Nice  work......at  the  end  of  this  please  give  us  the  idea  of  the  total  cost(range  of  it  will  be  suffiecient)  and  time  involved
parthapratim22
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:40 pm Post subject: Re: Another DIY 3D background in making Reply with quote

newspaper  will  stay  underwater???  though  must  say  the  work  is  super!!!
GANESAA
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:49 pm Post subject: Re: Another DIY 3D background in making Reply with quote

Excellent  Adesh  Thumb Up
vicky70l
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:55 pm Post subject: Re: Another DIY 3D background in making Reply with quote

Is  it  normal  fevicol  or  marine  one  ?  I  am  jus  worried  about  newspaper  rest  is  perfect  and  fine  Thumbs Up
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:58 pm Post subject: Re: Another DIY 3D background in making Reply with quote

to  create  those  cavities  why  didnt  you  use  acetone?  it  would  have  taken  seconds  and  no  mess  also:grin:  also,  you  can  use  Bostik  (  shoe's  adhesive),  thermocol  wont  absorb  it  either
   but  great  effort  good  idea  Thumb Up
adesh8028
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:39 pm Post subject: Re: Another DIY 3D background in making Reply with quote

jabba  wrote  (View  Post):                
Nice  work......at  the  end  of  this  please  give  us  the  idea  of  the  total  cost(range  of  it  will  be  suffiecient)  and  time  involved                

Thanks  Jabba,  I  will  try  to  give  the  range  once  it  is  complete.

parthapratim22  wrote  (View  Post):                

newspaper  will  stay  underwater???  though  must  say  the  work  is  super!!!

Thanks  parth  da.  The  newspaper  coated  with  a  lot  of  cement  should  work,  is  what  i  feel.  Lets  see.

GANESAA  wrote  (View  Post):                

Excellent  Adesh  Thumb Up

Thanks  mate.

vicky70l  wrote  (View  Post):                

Is  it  normal  fevicol  or  marine  one  ?  I  am  jus  worried  about  newspaper  rest  is  perfect  and  fine  Thumbs Up

It  is  normal  fevicol.  

garothmaan  wrote  (View  Post):                

to  create  those  cavities  why  didnt  you  use  acetone?  it  would  have  taken  seconds  and  no  mess  also:grin:  also,  you  can  use  Bostik  (  shoe's  adhesive),  thermocol  wont  absorb  it  either
   but  great  effort  good  idea  Thumb Up

Hey,  I  did  not  know  about  the  acetone  thing.  And  never  thought  of  shoe  adhesive  as  well.
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:52 pm Post subject: Re: Another DIY 3D background in making Reply with quote

Well  try  it  and  you  will  be  suprised  to  see  how  acetone  works  on  thermocol.  Acetone  will  actually  vanish  thermocol  into  thin  air  in  seconds,  and  this  Bostik  adhesive  wii  stick  realy  fast.  its  cheaper  also.  Anyways  try  it  next  time  or  may  be  others  can  use  this  Acetine-Bostik  idea.
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:59 pm Post subject: Re: Another DIY 3D background in making Reply with quote

Very  nice  DIY.  I  loved  it.  I  think  this  would  be  more  cost  effective  than  the  commercially  available  3D  background.  Pricing  depends  on  the  size  of  the  thermocole  you  use.  Based  on  the  size,  you  will  have  to  buy  the  required  quantity  of  cement,  fevicol,  silicone  glue  etc..
vicky70l
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:34 am Post subject: Re: Another DIY 3D background in making Reply with quote

Any  update  dude.  Waiting  to  see  in  tank  a  final  effect
MarineMania
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:11 am Post subject: Re: Another DIY 3D background in making Reply with quote

You  could  have  used  a  heat  gun  before  getting  the  cement  in  place  as  this  would  have  welded  the  weaker  hanging  thermacol  properly  also  not  sure  of  the  idea  of  mixing  paper  using  glue  and  cement.  There  Is  high  probability  that  if  the  paste  is  not  applied  properly  water  might  seap  in  and  slowly  create  more  issues.   

Also  when  using  cement,  the  final  product  needs  to  be  cured  in  water  properly  otherwise  it  shall  alter  the  ph  of  the  water  column.
Gags
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:43 am Post subject: Re: Another DIY 3D background in making Reply with quote

Good  work  on  DIY
 Wait  for  end  result....  Very Happy
samgudhate
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:00 am Post subject: Re: Another DIY 3D background in making Reply with quote

SIMPLY  SUPERB!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:10 am Post subject: Re: Another DIY 3D background in making Reply with quote

josyjames  wrote  (View  Post):                
Very  nice  DIY.  I  loved  it.  I  think  this  would  be  more  cost  effective  than  the  commercially  available  3D  background.  Pricing  depends  on  the  size  of  the  thermocole  you  use.  Based  on  the  size,  you  will  have  to  buy  the  required  quantity  of  cement,  fevicol,  silicone  glue  etc..                

If  you  know  how  to  use  acetone  you  can  do  the  whole  thing  on  just  1inch  thermocol  and  paste  it  with  bostik  Very Happy  it  will  cost  less  than  1xx
adesh8028
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:51 am Post subject: Re: Another DIY 3D background in making Reply with quote

Thanks  guys  for  the  comments  and  appreciation.

Well,  I've  put  the  assembly  in  the  tank  yesterday  and  filled  in  the  tank  today  morning.

Sorry  for  the  crappy  image  quality.  Will  keep  you  posted  on  the  leaching.  I'm  planning  to  do  daily  WC  for  at  least  1  week.  Expert  comments  on  if  the  frequency  is  good  are  welcome.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  DIY All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: