23. Guest
24. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,535

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - CO2 Diffuser Not Working with DIY CO2 setup
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

CO2 Diffuser Not Working with DIY CO2 setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> CO2 Equipment for Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amjad831001
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:07 pm Post subject: CO2 Diffuser Not Working with DIY CO2 setup Reply with quote

Hi  Friends,
 I  have  a  DIY  CO2  setup  for  my  planted  aquarium,  to  diffuse  the  CO2  into  water  i  used  a  small  tube  and  inserted  a  cigarette  filter  to  one  end  of  the  pipe,  it  worked  like  a  charm,  and  i  got  continuous  bubbles  within  15mins.
 Later  i  thought  to  change  the  cigarette  filter  diffuser  with  the  actual  3  in  diffuser  to  enhance  the  beauty  of  my  aquarium  but  i  failed,  the  CO2  diffuser  does  not  even  release  a  single  bubble  into  water  after  several  hours,  i  then  replaced  the  3  in  1  diffuser  with  cigarette  filter  back  again.
 Please  suggest....
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:14 pm Post subject: Re: CO2 Diffuser Not Working with DIY CO2 setup Reply with quote

Hi,

DIY  Co2  would  not  have  enough  pressure  to  get  diffused  through  the  ready-made  diffuser.  You  need  a  pressurized  CO2  to  have  the  CO2  diffuser  that  you  buy  from  the  lfs  to  work.

The  diffuser  plate  is  made  up  off  ceramic  and  the  pores  are  so  tiny  that  the  co2  generated  from  the  sugar-yeast  solution  would  not  be  able  to  pass  through  the  small  pores.

So  go  back  to  your  cigarette  filter  for  diffusing  the  CO2.  When  you  buy  a  pressurized  co2  cylinder,  you  can  use  the  3  in  1  diffuser.   Smile
amjad831001
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:20 pm Post subject: Re: CO2 Diffuser Not Working with DIY CO2 setup Reply with quote

Thanx..Shelly...
 Can  you  also  advice  whether  the  CO2  diffused  from  Cigarette  filter  helps  in  anyway.
nitv007
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:21 pm Post subject: Re: CO2 Diffuser Not Working with DIY CO2 setup Reply with quote

Hi,

i  too  have  tried  doaqua  diffusers  with  mine  diy  co2,  it  simply  wont  work.  i  had  kept  it  for  1  day  and  pressure  did  build  up.  i  thought  bottle  would  burst  but  still  bubbles  didnt  come  out.  it  would  be  better  if  you  used  your  old  setup.Recently,  i  started  using  co2  ladder  for  my  diy  .  i  just  cant  comment  how  good  it  is,  but  it  is  better  than  airstone.

Last edited by nitv007 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:23 pm Post subject: Re: CO2 Diffuser Not Working with DIY CO2 setup Reply with quote

Yes.  To  a  certain  extent  it  works...  Since  the  co2  bubble  are  not  very  fine,  most  of  the  co2  bubbles  ends  up  going  to  the  surface  and  escape  the  water.  So  in  effect  you  would  have  very  little  CO2  getting  mixed  with  the  water.
sergiomiranda_2181
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:02 pm Post subject: Re: CO2 Diffuser Not Working with DIY CO2 setup Reply with quote

hello  all

i  have  used  syringe  needles  and  smashed  the  needle  to  my  specs
 and  works  just  fine

Regards
 Sergio  M.
girlcookart
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:23 pm Post subject: Re: CO2 Diffuser Not Working with DIY CO2 setup Reply with quote

josyjames  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi,

DIY  Co2  would  not  have  enough  pressure  to  get  diffused  through  the  ready-made  diffuser.  You  need  a  pressurized  CO2  to  have  the  CO2  diffuser  that  you  buy  from  the  lfs  to  work.

The  diffuser  plate  is  made  up  off  ceramic  and  the  pores  are  so  tiny  that  the  co2  generated  from  the  sugar-yeast  solution  would  not  be  able  to  pass  through  the  small  pores.

So  go  back  to  your  cigarette  filter  for  diffusing  the  CO2.  When  you  buy  a  pressurized  co2  cylinder,  you  can  use  the  3  in  1  diffuser.   Smile                
 Really?  I  am  using  a  glass  ceramic  diffuser  that  works  perfectly  with  DIY  yeast  CO2  generator.  I  also  use  a  superb  yeast  brand  known  as  'Angel'  ..also,  I  add  half  a  tsn  of  baking  soda  in  the  bottle  catalyse  the  reaction.  I  get  superfine  bubbles.
aquariumer
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:30 pm Post subject: Re: CO2 Diffuser Not Working with DIY CO2 setup Reply with quote

use  power  head  or  ladder  diffuser  with  DIY   co2  generation
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:49 am Post subject: Re: CO2 Diffuser Not Working with DIY CO2 setup Reply with quote

I  have  also  used  a  ceramic  glass  diffuser  in  the  past  with  DIY  CO2  and  it  worked  fine
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:46 am Post subject: Re: CO2 Diffuser Not Working with DIY CO2 setup Reply with quote

Using  a  Ceramic  diffuser  with  DIY  Co2  is  not  advised.
 To  start  with  there  is  often  not  adequate  pressure  for  diffuser  to  function  properly,  it  might  work,  it  might  not  work.
 The  bigger  problem  is  back  flow  of  gas  in  the  DIY  bottle,  very  often  normal  plastic  bottles  are  used  for  this  purpose.
 These  bottles  are  not  built  to  handle  very  high  pressure  and  may  burst  due  to  gas  accumulation.
 The  result  would  be  a  mixture  of  foul  smelling  yeast  brew  in  your  room.
Linelogic
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:51 am Post subject: Re: CO2 Diffuser Not Working with DIY CO2 setup Reply with quote

Agree  with  Sandeep.  I've  had  a  couple  of  instances  in  my  earlier  days  of  fish  keeping,  where  the  plastic  pepsi  bottle  could  not  take  the  pressure  and  burst  open  on  the  floor.  I  doubt  you  would  be  able  to  get  enough  pressure  build  up  to  diffuse  the  CO2  from  a  ceramic  diffuser,  especially  in  rainy  and  winter  seasons,  when  yeast  activity  is  low.

Prabhu
Clownfish
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:07 pm Post subject: Re: CO2 Diffuser Not Working with DIY CO2 setup Reply with quote

Guys  i  too  had  same  problem...but  tried  different  techniques...some  of  my  ideas  

*  try  keeping  diffuser  just  2  inches  below  water  surface(  Looks  like  it  takes  lot  of  pressure  if  its  bottom  of  tank)
 *  If  already  made  them  wet,keep  it  out  till  the  ceramic  ring  is  dried  
 *  Block  the  co2  tube  for  some  time,  after  the  ring  is  completely  dried  connect  co2  tube  to  diffuser,
 remove  the  blocked  clip  from  tubing,  
 *  Now  slowly  put  them  in  to  aquarium  mostly  will  see  small  bubbles,  attach  them  just  below  surface  level  and  near  some  power  head  so  the  bubble  will  dissolve.  

IF  NOT  

*  clamp  the  tube  20  min  and  open  it...leave  for  a  night,  that  worked  for  me

MY  DIFFSUER  PICTURE
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  CO2 Equipment for Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: