35. Guest
36. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,846

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Discuss not eating food.
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Discuss not eating food.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Discuss Discus
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pskanth
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:34 pm Post subject: Discuss not eating food. Reply with quote

Hi  ,

I  have  a  4'  re-map  not  eating  food  for  the  last  couple  of  days.

Its  coming  near  to  the  food  takes  in  and  then  trows  it  out.  I  feed  tetra  bit  and  bio-gold.

Except  for  this  I  have  not  seen  any  other  symptom.

AM  I  mssing  anything.

Its  become  a  bit  dull,  its  generally  would  be  the  first  one  to  take  the  food,  but  for  the  last  couple  of  days,  waits  for  sometime  and  then  comes  near  to  the  food.

Experts  advice  required.

Thanks  In  Advance,
 Sashi.
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:46 pm Post subject: Re: Discuss not eating food. Reply with quote

Have  you  deflagate  your  fishes  at  least  a  quater  a  year?  if  not  then  deflagate  them.  Yah  1  more  thang,  tetra  bits  these  days  seem  unwanted  by  discus.  Even  my  Red  Melon  discus  are  not  eating  tetra  bits.  Try  to  feed  them  some  other  food.  May  be  you  can  buy  some  shrimps  cut  them  in  fine  pieces  and  feed  them  for  a  change.  can  you  make  GHM  at  home?  if  you  can,  then  add  little  garlic  power  in  it.  this  will  help  a  lot.  good  luck   Thumb Up
aquarius
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:43 pm Post subject: Re: Discuss not eating food. Reply with quote

garothmaan  wrote  (View  Post):                
Yah  1  more  thang,  tetra  bits  these  days  seem  unwanted  by  discus.  Even  my  Red  Melon  discus  are  not  eating  tetra  bits.                

Valuable  observation.
 The  question  is,  are  we  really  feeding  them  Tetra  bits  these  days  or  some  spurious  products  posing  as  one?

@Shashi,
 Discus  are  extremely  moody  creatures  and  can  suddenly  develop  a  strong  dislike  for  food  they  once  loved.You  can  try  raising  the  temperature  to  around  32  deg  c,  adding  Epsom  salt  (1  tsp/10gallons  )  and  feeding  it  Hikari  discus  bio-gold.A  100%  water  change,feeding  cleaned  and  chopped  earthworms  or  soaked  freeze  dried  bloodworms  can  also  help  bringing  back  the  lost  appetite.If  this  apathy  still  continues  for  another  4-5  days  you  can  consider  deflagellating  treatment.
pskanth
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:22 pm Post subject: Re: Discuss not eating food. Reply with quote

Hi  ,

Can  somebody  help  me  with  the  "deflagellating  treatment".  I  have  never  tried  though.

I  am  new  to  these  treatments.

Reagrds,
 Sashi.
Discusolic
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:04 pm Post subject: Re: Discuss not eating food. Reply with quote

Quote:                
Can  somebody  help  me  with  the  "deflagellating  treatment".  I  have  never  tried  though.                

1)  Remove  the  sponge  filters  ,just  Air  Stone  will  do  ,   keep  strong  aeration  .
 2)  Set  the  heater  at  32  Deg  C  .
 3)  Dose  with  Metro  -  Dosage  1  gm  for  100  ltrs  .
 4)  Next  day  do  50%  WC  and  redose  with  metro  with  same  dose  .
 5)  Continue  this(  item  no  4)   for  8  days  ,  best  is  12  days  course  .

Thanks  
 Shiva
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:19 pm Post subject: Re: Discuss not eating food. Reply with quote

pskanth  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  ,

I  am  new  to  these  treatments.

Reagrds,
 Sashi.                

Chuckle   Chuckle   Chuckle  

Its  called  JOOLAAB  in  our  mumbaiya  language.  Clearing  its  stomach.

HOW  TO......

Go  to  chemist  shop  and  ask  them  to  give  metrogyl/flygyl  (250)  tablets  white  uncoated  onse  only.  

Take  a  chai  ka  glass  with  water  and  disolve  1  tablet  into  water.  

Or  you  can  just  put  it  in  that  glass  and  wait  till  it  dissolves.  If  you  have  a  seperate  tank/bucket  (  20ltrs)  put  2  tablets  in  that  glass  to  disolve.  

If  you  have  a  heating  rod  for  aquarium  set  it  to  32  deg  and  put  it  into  that  tank/bucket  full  of  water.  Wait  untill  the  heating  rod  light  goes  off  automatically.  This  indicates  that  water  is  now  32  deg  hot   Chuckle  .

Pour  that  chai  ka  glass  with  dissolved  tablets  into  that  tank/bucket  full  of  water.

Put  airstone  and  let  it  flow  for  about  20  mins,  this  will  mix  the  metro  in  water.  Then  insert  the  fish  into  the  bucket.  

next  day  change  50%  water  of  that  bucket  and  again  disolve  only  1  tablet  and  pout  it  into  the  water.  Top  up  the  50%  after  you  drop  metro  in  bucket.

3rd  day  you  should  see  brown  poo  coming  out  of  the  fish.  Its  CLEAR  TUM  MY  SIGN.  

Do  100%  water  change  amd  let  it  remain  for  another  2  days  in  that  water.

All  these  5  days  dont  feed  it.  On  the  6th  day  feed  very  little  quantity  of  chopped  fresh  shrimps.  See  if  white  poo  comes  out.

Thats  it-  Deflageted.  Clapping
menonabhishek
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:14 pm Post subject: Re: Discuss not eating food. Reply with quote

Have  you  deflagate  your  fishes  at  least  a  quater  a  year?                  

Do  we  actually  need  to  do  this  every  quarter  to  keep  the  discus  healthy  ?
aquariumer
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:13 pm Post subject: Re: Discuss not eating food. Reply with quote

menonabhishek  wrote  (View  Post):                

Have  you  deflagate  your  fishes  at  least  a  quater  a  year?                  

Do  we  actually  need  to  do  this  every  quarter  to  keep  the  discus  healthy  ?                

good  if  done  after  every  six  months,  routine  six  months  treatments  should  be  added  with  food  like  terabits  for  three  days  twice  in  a  day

aquarius  wrote  (View  Post):                

Yah  1  more  thang,  tetra  bits  these  days  seem  unwanted  by  discus.  Even  my  Red  Melon  discus  are  not  eating  tetra  bits.                

Valuable  observation.
 The  question  is,  are  we  really  feeding  them  Tetra  bits  these  days  or  some  spurious  products  posing  as  one?

@Shashi,
 Discus  are  extremely  moody  creatures  and  can  suddenly  develop  a  strong  dislike  for  food  they  once  loved.You  can  try  raising  the  temperature  to  around  32  deg  c,  adding  Epsom  salt  (1  tsp/10gallons  )  and  feeding  it  Hikari  discus  bio-gold.A  100%  water  change,feeding  cleaned  and  chopped  earthworms  or  soaked  freeze  dried  bloodworms  can  also  help  bringing  back  the  lost  appetite.If  this  apathy  still  continues  for  another  4-5  days  you  can  consider  deflagellating  treatment.

I  travel  some  20  km  to  get  a  pack  of  tetra  bits  as  I  dont  trust  the  any  LFS  in  my  locality
pskanth
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:17 pm Post subject: Re: Discuss not eating food. Reply with quote

Thanks  Shiva  Sir/Garothmaan  and  all  the  members  who  shared  their  experience.

I  have  started  the  metro  treatment  as  stated  below  (  referred  some  old  postings)  ,  the  first  day  I  have  see  very  small  white  poo  coming  out,  today  I  have  seen  a  big  thread  of  brown  poo  coming  out.

I  have  completed  3  days  of  treatment  so  far,  I  will  try  to  continue  for  12  days  as  suggested.

I  am  using  Metrogyl  IV  bottles  (  500  mg/100ml),  I  hope  this  should  not  be  a  problem.

Thanks  once  again,  i  will  post  some  pics  over  the  weekend.

Regards,
 Sashi.
Discusolic
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:51 pm Post subject: Re: Discuss not eating food. Reply with quote

Quote:                
I  am  using  Metrogyl  IV  bottles  (  500  mg/100ml),  I  hope  this  should  not  be  a  problem.                

You  should  have  used  Metro  tablets  instead  of  Metrogyl  IV  .  Tablets  are  cheaper  and  works  well  .  I  don't  know  how  Metrogyl  IV  works  on  flagellates  .
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:04 pm Post subject: Re: Discuss not eating food. Reply with quote

pskanth  wrote  (View  Post):                
Thanks  Shiva  Sir/Garothmaan  and  all  the  members  who  shared  their  experience.

I  have  started  the  metro  treatment  as  stated  below  (  referred  some  old  postings)  ,  the  first  day  I  have  see  very  small  white  poo  coming  out,  today  I  have  seen  a  big  thread  of  brown  poo  coming  out.

I  have  completed  3  days  of  treatment  so  far,  I  will  try  to  continue  for  12  days  as  suggested.

Thanks  once  again,  i  will  post  some  pics  over  the  weekend.

Regards,
 Sashi.                

Does  it  cloud  the  water?

as  long  as  the  pooing  is  ok,  then  you  neednot  worry.  by  now  they  should  be  eating.  you  can  add  metro  while  feeding  also.
pskanth
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:27 pm Post subject: Re: Discuss not eating food. Reply with quote

I  am  not  able  to  tell  the  difference  about  clouding  the  water.

Its  been  3  days  I  have  stopped  the  treatment,  Its  still  not  touching  the  food.  I  wanted  to  wait  for  5  days  before  I  start  the  treament  again.

Its  not  pooing  these  days.

The  fish  is  active  but  dried  up,  became  thinner  and  skimmier.

Running  out  of  options   Sad  

Attaching  some  snaps  for  reference.  (  1  week  old),  Will  add  latest  snaps  in  a  day  or  two.
pskanth
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:38 pm Post subject: Re: Discuss not eating food. Reply with quote

PhotosDiscus
aquarius
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:00 pm Post subject: Re: Discuss not eating food. Reply with quote

Lovely  butterfly!
 Give  it  some  time  to  recover  and  positively  complete  the  12  day  treatment  as  Shivada  suggested  unless  you  want  flagellate  eggs  to  hatch  and  destroy  your  fish.It  may  need  a  week  or  more  after  treatment  to  get  its  appetite  back.
 Discus  are  known  to  survive  for  a  long  time  without  food.Metro  is  a  bitter  medicine  and  can  leave  a  really  bad  taste  in  the  mouth.Imagine  being  submerged  in  it  for  so  many  days.
 If  it  is  not  eating  for  the  last  few  days  you  cannot  expect  it  to  poo  or  look  plump.
sripad
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:29 pm Post subject: Re: Discuss not eating food. Reply with quote

try  live  bloodworms,  disinfect  with  potassium  permanganate  first.  It  should  eat...  Fake  tetrabits  are  even  on  one  side  and  rough  on  the  other,  original  ones  are  completely  rough..
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Discuss Discus All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: