65. Guest
66. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,639

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - keeping Beginner corals without chiller
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

keeping Beginner corals without chiller
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Live Rock and Invertebrates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sidhyesh
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:35 pm Post subject: keeping Beginner corals without chiller Reply with quote

Hi,

Have  any  one  have  keapt  corals  without  water  chiller  as  I  stay  in  mumbai  ,  my  tank  temp.  Is  around  30.degree  .

I  ones  had.  Green  polyps.  It  started  loose  colour  ........

My  water  Parameters  are  normal  and  have  good  light  to,my  lfs  told  me  temp.  Is  problem
    which  coral  I  can  go  for  ,  which  is  hardy  and  easy  to  keep  :(

Sid....
GatorX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:31 pm Post subject: Re: keeping Beginner corals without chiller Reply with quote

Dont  waste  money  buying  coral's,  save  it  and  buy  a  chiller.  Avoid  local  corals  as  they  are  all  wild  collected,  get  the  imported  aquacultured,  or  get  it  from  other  hobbyist..
yajur
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:03 pm Post subject: Re: keeping Beginner corals without chiller Reply with quote

GatorX  wrote  (View  Post):                
Dont  waste  money  buying  coral's,  save  it  and  buy  a  chiller.  Avoid  local  corals  as  they  are  all  wild  collected,  get  the  imported  aquacultured,  or  get  it  from  other  hobbyist..                

1+
sidhyesh
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:10 pm Post subject: Beginner corals without chiller Reply with quote

Ya  but  I  have  no  place  for  it  ,and  it  to  expencive  and  it  blows  out  hot  air  to
asak
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:20 pm Post subject: Re: keeping Beginner corals without chiller Reply with quote

If  that  is  the  case  then  this  hobby  is  not  for  you.  Marine  aquariums  whether  fish  or  corals  need  a  constant  stable  temperature  between,  let's  say  the  limits  will  be  22  to  29  c.  Usually  most  reefs  will  run  between  24  to  27.
nanomania
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:49 pm Post subject: Re: keeping Beginner corals without chiller Reply with quote

Dont  go  for  a  marine....  you  should  not  have  a  budget,  thats  what  iv  learnt.......  without  a  chiller,  reef  is  a  waste  of  time,  money  and  you  will  be  killing  these  beautiful  creatures....  if  u  still  wana  go  for  1,  go  for  a  fish  only  tank  with  leds  so  less  heat.  max  u  can  keep  are  chromis  and  damsels....  rest  of  the  fishes  will  die  early...  high  temps  will  make  them  grow  fast,  weaken  their  immunity  and  there  will  be  low  levels  of  O2.  indian  temps.  are  not  ment  for  SW   fishes...  CHILLER  IS  A  MUST
sid
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:27 am Post subject: Re: keeping Beginner corals without chiller Reply with quote

There's  no  such  thing  as  beginners  coral.
sujith849
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:15 am Post subject: Re: keeping Beginner corals without chiller Reply with quote

yajur  wrote  (View  Post):                

GatorX  wrote  (View  Post):                

1+                

2+
red_devil
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:30 am Post subject: Re: keeping Beginner corals without chiller Reply with quote

I  do  not  own  a  marine  aquarium  and  neither  do  I  have  experience  with  them.  But  my  LFS  has  one  without  chillers....and  that  too  in  Chennai.  Also  if  you  do  some  reading,  I  have  heard  there  are  beginners  corals.
 Why  dont  you  try  them....  But  I  perfectly  agree  that  corals  should  not  be  wild  caught  and  should  be  brought  from  a  store  where  they  breed  them.  Let  the  corals  stay  where  they  belong  to  -  the  natural  reefs.

People  with  "Advanced  level  of  knowledge  in  reef  setup"  say  the  above  is  not  valid.  Anyways  I  would  still  check  if  there  are  options  before  just  stopping......Might  be  there  are  none...

Last edited by red_devil on Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:38 am Post subject: Re: keeping Beginner corals without chiller Reply with quote

red_devil  wrote  (View  Post):                
Why  dont  you  try  them....                  

Still  you  are  not  sure  if  they  would  survive  without  chiller.  You  said  "  Why  dont  you  try  them"!!!

Why  do  you  want  to  try  them  and  kill  them  if  you  dont  have  proper  setup  to  keep  them  live.

But  my  LFS  has  one  without  chillers....and  that  too  in  Chennai.  

How  long  do  you  see  the  same  set  of  corals  in  the  LFS  tanks?  They  keep  on  changing  the  corals  when  they  die.  Without  the  proper  equipments  even  lfs  would  not  be  able  to  keep  a  proper  reef.  

Forget  about  reef  tank  if  you  dont  have  perfect  setup  to  sustain  the  sensitive  creatures.  Don't  waste  your  money  and  time  in  keeping  a  reef  tank  without  the  necessary  equipments.
asak
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:03 am Post subject: Re: keeping Beginner corals without chiller Reply with quote

I  do  not  own  a  marine  aquarium  and  neither  do  I  have  experience  with  them.  But  my  LFS  has  one  without  chillers....and  that  too  in  Chennai.  Also  if  you  do  some  reading,  I  have  heard  there  are  beginners  corals.
 Why  dont  you  try  them....  But  I  perfectly  agree  that  corals  should  not  be  wild  caught  and  should  be  brought  from  a  store  where  they  breed  them.  Let  the  corals  stay  where  they  belong  to  -  the  natural  reefs.                

First,  there  in  not  a  single  fish  shop  in  Chennai  that  has  adequate  knowledge  to  keep  corals  or  even  Marine  fish.
 Second,  there  are  some  corals  that  are  easier  to  keep  than  others,  so  you  may  call  them  beginners,  however  all  corals  need  a  greater  amount  of  care  and  investment  in  equipment  than  you  average  fresh  water  tank.
 Third,  What  do  you  mean  by  try  them?  There  are  many  people  with  experience  trying  to  explain  the  reality  of  this  hobby,  while  someone  like  you  with  no  experience  should  make  an  absolutely  daft  comment  like  this  after  simply  looking  at  a  tank  in  your  LFS.

Last edited by asak on Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
sid
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:01 pm Post subject: Re: keeping Beginner corals without chiller Reply with quote

So  basically  you're  dishing  out  advice  on  corals  with  ever  having  kept  them  and  essentially  on  hearsay?  Boy  you're  really  something  else.

Please  don't  give  out  advice  if  you  don't  have  any  practical  experience  particularly  on  marine  aquariums  which  requires  an  advanced  level  of  knowledge.  Beginner  corals  is  what  LFS's  call  the  hardier  corals  mainly  because  they  survive  for  a  little  while  longer  than  others  especially  in  LFS's.  In  the  long  run  all  corals  need  cool  water  to  thrive.  They  may  survive  for  a  while  in  certain  condition  but  for  their  long  term  well  being  they  need  a  host  of  things  and  a  chiller  is  just  one  of  them.  What  they  definitely  don't  need  is  ill  informed  people  advocating  keeping  them  on  a  trial  and  error  basis.
red_devil
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:45 pm Post subject: Re: keeping Beginner corals without chiller Reply with quote

Well  if  he  doesn't  have  a  chiller  and  is  looking  for  corals  which  survive  in  high  temperatures,  there  should  be  a  way  out.  I  have  seen  corals  in  chennai  and  if  they  survive,  he  should  check  if  people  have  done  that  earlier.....  As  I  said  I  am  no  expert  on  it.  But  blindly  putting  that  reefs  are  not  for  him  is  not  the  right  way.  There  could  be  corals  which  survive  the  temperature  and  if  any,  go  for  it....Simple.If  not,  just  buy  a  chiller  as  "The  people  with  advanced  level  of  knowledge"  here  have  said..
sid
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:11 pm Post subject: Re: keeping Beginner corals without chiller Reply with quote

Corals  DON'T  survive  in  high  temperatures.  THERE  ARE  NO  HIGH  TEMPERATURE  CORALS!!  THERE  IS  NO  WAY  OUT  other  than  getting  the  necessary  equipment  to  keep  them  alive  and  keep  them  healthy.  Read  the  post  above  mine  again  and  again.  The  corals  you  have  seen  in  LFS  are  temporarily  housed  till  someone  buys  them  or  till  they  perish.  They  do  not  survive  in  those  conditions  for  long.  Do  you  go  to  the  LFS's  everyday  to  check  on  the  corals???  

I  repeat  please  refrain  from  giving  advice  on  matters  you  have  absolutely  no  knowledge  of.  and  we're  not  putting  anything  across  blindly  .  Most  of  us  who  have  written  here  have  years  of  experience  keeping  reef  tanks  WITH  CHILLERS!!

If  he  cant  afford  a  chiller,  he  should  not  keep  corals.  It's  as  simple  as  that!
Mayur_m
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:36 pm Post subject: Re: keeping Beginner corals without chiller Reply with quote

Not  possible  to  keep  coral  without  chiller  
 if  coral  survive  high  temp(30*-32*)  they  will  not  grow  it  will  just  survive  in  high  temp  

even  if  u  get  a  chiller  u  still  need  to  get  other  parameter  stable  

btw   did  u  test  tap  water  (topup  water  )  for  tds  ?
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Live Rock and Invertebrates All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: