54. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,784

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - RESONATE
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

RESONATE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquascaping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam22sam
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:20 am Post subject: Re: RESONATE Reply with quote

amchigeli  wrote  (View  Post):                
Yuck!  I  liked  your  earlier  hardscape  bettr.
 When  are  you  planning  to  use  water?                

Which  one  of  the  hardscapes  did  you  like  better?  The  branch  wood  in  the  middle,  the  branchwood  to  the  right,  the  brach  wood  to  the  right  with  the  bigger  peice  of  wood  in  the  center  and  nothing  on  the  left?

After  I  finish  the  hardscape  -  If  I  got  that  question  straight.

Jaival  -  If  I  were  to  take  out  wood,  which  one  do  you  think  should  go  out?
zico_aqua
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:54 am Post subject: Re: RESONATE Reply with quote

okay..first  up  too  many  wood..which  will  reek  havoc  to  the  flow  across  the  tank  and  a  maintenance  nightmare  in  the  long  run.  For  me  the  left  hand  side  is  pretty  okay,  but  i  would  elevate  that  a  bit  more  so  that  the  middle  bit  of  wood  will  kindof   protrude  towards  the  top,  giving  a  slight  archway.  and  would  definitely  remove  the  wood  now  placed  which  tends  to  block  the  pathway  and  keep  the  one  on  the  extreme   right.  this  will  end  up  giving  you  the  option  of  the  desired  pathway+depth  and  cleaner  look.
jaival
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:55 am Post subject: Re: RESONATE Reply with quote

i  liked  the  woods  with  the  corner  covered  better....  the  thick  middle  wood  looks  bit  odd,  or  try  getting  wood  with  more  branches....
sam22sam
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:31 am Post subject: RESONATE Update2_07_10 Reply with quote

Ok.  So  I  agree  that  there  is  too  much  of  wood  in  the  aquarium  and  that  the  wood  on  the  right  had  side  was  more  intricate.  However,  I  cant  use  that  wood  right  now  because  it  smells.  Seems  to  be  some  sort  of  fungus  or  bacteria  or  something  that  is  causing  it.  Will  have  to  use  H2O2  to  get  rid  of  it.  In  the  meanwhile,  here  is  the  hardscape  that  I  put  together.  I  filled  the  tank  with  water,  turned  on  the  filter  and  will  wait  till  tomorow  for  it  to  settle.  Frankly,  I  like  the  big  block  of  wood,  but  am  also  concerned  about  the  flow  I  willbe  using  two  filters  -  ehiem  2217  and  2213.  Hope  fully  this  shoudl  take  care  of  the  circulation  issue.  If  the  whole  thing  doesnt  work,  the  I  will  go  out  and  get  some  more  wood,  but  for  now  I  want  to  experiment  with  what  I  have.

I  also  think  I  managed  to  create  some  sense  of  depth  with  the  path  curving  behind  the  tree.

Here  are  some  pics.  I  will  keep  posting  as  and  when  there  is  progress.  

umsums
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:02 pm Post subject: Re: RESONATE Reply with quote

+1  amchigeli
   small  drift  wood  and  scape  was  good  nice  going   than  bigger  one  
 update  pics
sam22sam
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:41 am Post subject: Re: RESONATE Reply with quote

Ok.  As  I  mentioned,  the  smaller  piece  of  wood  smells  like  clothes  thats  been  put  in  water  for  days  together,  really  foul  smelling.  I  will  try  and  get  rid  of  that  and  put  it  in  the  scape  else,  this  is  will  be  the  hardscape.  I  will  raise  the  terraced  portion  on  the  left  when  I  take  the  water  down  for  planting.  There  is  a  lot  that  can  be  done  with  the  bigger  wood  also.  We'll  see  how   it  goes.  I  dont  mind  either  scapes,  I  like  them  both.  Will  post  pics  over  the  weekend,  if  I  get  the  plants,  take  the  water  down  and  chnage  the  scape  or  do  some  planting.
sam22sam
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:20 am Post subject: Re: RESONATE Reply with quote

Did  some  planting  yesterday.  Took  down  water  as  much  as  I  could  and  planted.  The  plant  list  has  grown.  With  the  tree  in  the  center  it  gave  room  for  more  of  a  natural  riverside  scape  and  of  course  where  there  is  a  tree,  there  is  shade  and  where  there  is  shade  there  are  broad  leafed  smaller  plants  etc.  I  have  tried  to  capture  nature  as  close  as  I  could  imagine  it  to  be.  I  raised  the  left  had  side  of  the  scape,  put  in  more  soil,  adjusted  the  terraced  rock  formation  so  that  it  would  hold  the  mound.

The  plant  list  right  is  all  of  the  plants  in  the  beginning  plus  the  following

Anubias  Butteryfly
 Anubias  Nana  Petiete
 Anubias  Nana  Gold
 Cryptocoryne  Wenditi
 Limnophila  Aromatica  Purple
 Ludwigia  Ovalis
 Ludwigia  Peruennis

Here  are  some  pics  taken  yesterday,  the  glass  was  slightly  dirty  while  planiting  and  the  water  cloudy,  so  please  bear  with  the  bad  pics,  I  will  try  and  get  better  pics  today  evening  when  the  water  is  cleared  up.  I  plan  to  clean  the  filter  and  put  in  Bio  Rio  and  also  get  the  lily  pipes  hooked  up  today  or  tommorow.

Let  me  know  what  you  think

angel_lover
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:28 am Post subject: Re: RESONATE Reply with quote

Good  luck  with  this  one.  Hope  it  turns  out  as  per  your  expectations.
sam22sam
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:16 pm Post subject: Re: RESONATE Reply with quote

Thanks  Rahul.
nandy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:46 pm Post subject: Re: RESONATE Reply with quote

Wow..  waiting  for  this  one  to  mature  ..  please  keep  us  updated.
sam22sam
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:49 pm Post subject: RESONATE_Update_15_10_12 Reply with quote

Took  some  pics  as  water  clered  up.  The  moss  on  the  branch  was  blown  away  by  the  spray  bar.  I  have  my  work  cut  out  for  the  weekend  to  try  and  get  it  back  in  place.  Replaced  the  spray  bards  with  the  lily  pipes.

Pics

GANESAA
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:03 pm Post subject: Re: RESONATE Reply with quote

Sam  looks  beautiful...  Thumb Up  

tell  me  ,  as  u  have  mentioned  tank  size  90  gallons  and  using  2217  &  2213  filters.  >>-  Don't  you  feel  more  aeration  on  your  tank.  because  the  2217  itself  sufficient  for  your  tank  size.  Also,  share  about  the  black  soil  name  and  qty  used.

Regards,
 Ganessa
jabba
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:24 pm Post subject: Re: RESONATE Reply with quote

Hi  Sam,

I  really  liked  you  scape.....  This  scape  has  a  difference  and  I  liked  the  placement  of  a  bigger  driftwood  in  front  and  then  the  driftwood  with  more  features  with  thinner  branches  behind  it.
 I  felt  It  gives  more  depth.

I  have  one  suggestion  to  review  how  your  path  starts  from  the  front  glass  mainly  the  side  near  the  big  drift  wood.  Also  keep  some  rocks  on  the  boundary  of  the  path  to  ensure  that  the  sand  don't  mix  with  the  substrate.  You  can  also  use  the  thin  acrylic  that  james  uses  in  his  scape  called  reciprocity  in  the  below  link  
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCMe-bu4-tk

Already  the  sand  and  substrate  has  mixed  but  rectify  it  before  it  goes  out  of  hand.
jabba
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:27 pm Post subject: Re: RESONATE Reply with quote

Also  don't  add  anubia  to  this  scape.
 As  most  of  the  places  will  get  high  light  an  the  leaves  will  be  a  collection  point  for  algae.

You  can  still  keep  the  smaller  anubia  under  the  big  driftwood  as  it  will  be  good  shade  there.

Also  I  see  a  amazon  sword(dollar  plant  as  LFS  say)  in  the  scape   Please  remove  it  .It  will  look  bad  when  it  grows  up.
sam22sam
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:17 pm Post subject: Re: RESONATE Reply with quote

Nandy,  Ganesaa  and  Jaba  thanks!!   Smile  

GANESAA  wrote  (View  Post):                
Sam  looks  beautiful...  Thumb Up  

tell  me  ,  as  u  have  mentioned  tank  size  90  gallons  and  using  2217  &  2213  filters.  >>-  Don't  you  feel  more  aeration  on  your  tank.  because  the  2217  itself  sufficient  for  your  tank  size.  Also,  share  about  the  black  soil  name  and  qty  used.

Regards,
 Ganessa                

Hi  Ganesaa  -  Usually  the  2217  pumps  about  100l/hr  and  is  enough  for  a  tank  of  this  size.  This  tank  is  different  from  other  tanks  in  a  couple  of  aspects

1.  The  tank  is  about  21  inches  deep,  deeper  thank  most  tanks  of  this  size
 2.  The  wood  in  the  center  is  thick  and  could  be  a  possible  dead  spot

I  have  the  two  filters  on  for  this  reason,  to  increase  the  flow  and  improve  circulation.  I  have  taken  of  the  spray  bar  and  am  using  lily  pipes,  therefore  the  overall  flow  might  be  slightly  reduced  as  the  pressure  with  which  water  is  pumped  out  is  not  that  high.

I  had  the  22213  from  the  old  tank  and  wanted  to  get  the  tank  cycle  faster  and  more  media  and  benifical  bacteria  mean  faster  cycle  I  hope.  So  far  it  has  worked,  I  dont  have  mould  or  anything  growing  on  the  wood  and  there  is  no  foul  smell  from  the  aquarium  in  about  8  days  now.  The  water  is  very  clear  and  algae  even  with  a  6  to  8  hour  photo  period  is  not  present.  I  will  take  off  the  smaller  filter,  if  when  I  introduce  the  fish,  they  find  it  unnerving  especially  the  discuss  which  loves  slower  waters  from  what  I  have  read.

jabba  wrote  (View  Post):                

Also  don't  add  anubia  to  this  scape.
 As  most  of  the  places  will  get  high  light  an  the  leaves  will  be  a  collection  point  for  algae.

You  can  still  keep  the  smaller  anubia  under  the  big  driftwood  as  it  will  be  good  shade  there.

Also  I  see  a  amazon  sword(dollar  plant  as  LFS  say)  in  the  scape   Please  remove  it  .It  will  look  bad  when  it  grows  up.

Jabba,

Thanks  for  the  link,  really  neat  video.  Yes  the  sand  and  substrate  keep  shifting  everytime  I  fillup  the  tank.  I  was  looking  at  getting  something  like  that  for  a  barrier,  was  thinking  in  terms  of  getting  plants  to  grow  or  rocks.  I  am  not  sure  what  I  can  use  for  the  barrier,  let  me  see  if  I  can  find  something.

I  dont  have  amazon  sword  on  the  LFS,  I  have  Anubuas  coffee  folia,  buttery  fly,  echinodorus  red  etc.  I  think  you  are  talking  about  the   echinodoru  Indiann  red,  this  is  the  emersed  growth  that  you  see  (  I  have  been  told),  I  will  have  to  cut  the  leaves  to  get  the  true  submerse  growth,  if  it  getts  too  large  and  looks  out  of  place  in  the  scape  I  will  take  it  out.  I  plan  to  get  the  Anuias  under  the  tree  and  move  the  red  echinodorus  out  to  where   more  light  might  fall,  if  it  has  to  be  that  way.

I  am  also  trying  to  get  led  lighiting  in  so  that  I  can  control  the  distribtion  of  light  in  the  center.  Been  speaking  with  Shelly  and  am  going  to  see  what  is  available  from  a  nearby  local  maker  of  led  lights  tomorow.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquascaping All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: