68. Guest
69. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,795

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Lowest cost way to eliminate green hair, bubble & turf
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Lowest cost way to eliminate green hair, bubble & turf
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SantaMonicaHelp
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:24 am Post subject: Re: Lowest cost way to eliminate green hair, bubble & tu Reply with quote

Important  videos  to  help  you  understand  algae  filtering...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfMaBeLwiO4  -  Ocean  Productivity
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d96F0ak4uY  -  Photosynthesis  part  1
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTBlq3gUv5Y  -  Food  Chains  vs.  Food  Webs
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwZDIU6sM_4&  -  Nutrients  and  Primary  Production
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnlCx7mVcZ4  -  Chlorophyll
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtZ75KW2t-U  -  Zooplankton  and  Primary  Production
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quH4x640Jgs  -  Bacteria
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdIjMQATQks  -  Food  Webs
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc_fGWjmNeI  -  Microbial  Food  Web
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQaE0e0iD3s  -  Trophic  Pyramids
SantaMonicaHelp
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:38 pm Post subject: Re: Lowest cost way to eliminate green hair, bubble & tu Reply with quote

New  update:

SantaMonicaHelp
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:38 am Post subject: Re: Lowest cost way to eliminate green hair, bubble & tu Reply with quote

Some  more  successes  from  waterfall  scrubbers:

Damon  on  the  IM  site:  "I  have  been  completely  skimmer  less  for  over  a  month  now,  and  my  ats  has  brought  my  nitrates  from  off  the  chart  above  50ppm  and  with  yesterday's  test  it  has  come  down  to  5  on  the  high  end  with  color  choosing(can't  wait  for  a  Hanna  to  make  a  nitrate).  I  am  extremely  happy  with  my  ats  as  it  is  now,  but  I  do  believe  I'm  going  to  build  a  second  one  next  to  it.  I  built  this  size  for  a  small  (75-90g  heavy  bioload),  but  I'm  going  to  add  a  second  one  that  will  be  a  more  professional  build  quality  now  that  I  have  figured  out  how  I  want  it  to  run.  I  still  love  the  fact  that  I  have  dropped  $25  a  month  in  electricity,  haven't  done  a  water  change  in  a  month  while  still  dropping  nitrates  and  getting  amazing  coral  growth.  The  best  part  is  I  am  making  these  to  utilize  my  overflow  drains,  so  in  essence  I  adding  a  more  efficient  form  of  filtration  without  adding  any  heat  or  extra  electricity.  I  can't  report  on  long  term  results  as  I've  only  been  running  an  ats  since  last  fall.  But  from  where  my  tank  was  to  where  it  is  now  is  enough  for  me  to  jump  ship,  lol."  

Kerry  on  the  scrubber  site:  "I  was  hard  for  me  to  believe  that  this  device  worked.  It  took  about  a  year  before  I  built  one  and  now  I  wish  I  knew  about  this  years  ago.  Who  would  have  thought  algae  would  provide  so  much  success?  I  even  have  one  on  my  150G  FW  Jack  Dempsey  tank  as  well.  And  yes,  its  so  nice  not  to  have  a  skimmer  anymore!!!!"

Reefkeeper2  on  the  RC  site:  "I  run  a  skimmer,  biopellets  and  an  ATS.  The  skimmer  and  the  pellets  worked  well  keeping  nitrates  at  0,  but  there  was  room  for  improvement  with  phosphate  control.  I  tried  GFO,  and  lanthanum.  My  sps  do  not  like  the  GFO.  I  got  STN  often  when  I  changed  it  out.  The  lanthanum  worked,  but  was  very  labor  intensive  and  so  unpractical.  The  ATS  did  the  trick  nicely.  I  have  been  a  reefer  for  a  very  long  time.  I  think  I  have  tried  every  method  of  nutrient  control  thought  up  by  anyone.  I  really  enjoy  trying  out  new  ideas  and  trying  to  improve  on  old  ones.  I  have  to  say  that  this  combination  has  worked  the  best  of  all  I  have  tried  over  the  years."  

N728NY  on  the  RC  site:  "Just  chiming  in  to  say  I  really  hope  this  thread  keeps  going!  Lots  of  good  info.  I'm  still  pretty  new  to  keeping  a  reef  tank.  I  have  been  running  a  scrubber  with  my  skimmer  for  the  past  three  months.  Before  then  I  could  never  get  my  nitrates  below  15,  and  since  I  added  my  scrubber  I  never  been  able  to  detect  any  nitrates,  even  after  feeding  twice  as  much.  I  know  with  my  75  gallon  set  up,  I  made  my  scrubber  slightly  over  sized  (sized  for  100  gallons)  and  I  dump  huge  amounts  of  pellets  and  frozen  shrimp  in  my  tank  on  top  of  spot  feeding  my  corals  on  a  regular  basis  and  I  still  have  yet  to  register  any  nitrates  on  my  test  kit.  Being  that  I'm  still  new  I  still  haven't  built  up  the  courage  to  unplug  the  skimmer  yet.  I  may  try  it  once  I  know  for  sure  my  scrubber  is  fully  matured,  got  plenty  of  ro  water  made  up  and  salt  ready  just  in  case  I  need  to  do  an  emergency  water  change  lol.  I  still  have  a  clump  of  cheato  left  that  I  suppose  would  be  good  back  up  if  the  scrubber  couldn't  keep  up.  The  cheato  doesn't  really  grow  very  much  right  now  because  of  the  scrubber.  I  love  these  scrubbers,  I'm  so  glad  I  took  the  time  to  read  "both  sides"  of  the  arguments  on  them  to  find  out  the  facts  about  them."  

Kentth  on  the  scrubber  site:  "overall  the  tank  is  much  healthier,  a  lot  of  feather  dusters,  coming  out  of  the  rocks,  yellow  sponges,  other  opaque  sponges.  big  thing  is  no  water  changes  for  over  8  months,  almost  no  silt,  it  has  really  cut  my  maintenance"

Langtudatinh01  on  the  RC  site:  "i  completely  redo  my  40B  with  the  ATS  from  beginning,  i  barely  see  much  algae  on  my  display  tank  but  i  now  have  a  mature  ATS.  i  relocated  all  my  fish  and  add  another  one  without  any  issue.  the  dead  rocks  i  use  bleach  quite  a  lot  of  phosphate  back  into  the  water,  but  the  ATS  has  handle  the  issue  like  a  cham.  i  do  not  see  much  algae  on  my  display.  everything  is  green  like  grass  down  at  the  ATS.  i  am  very  happy  so  far.'

Bicolour  on  the  MFUK  site:  "quick  update,  so  my  ats  has  been  running  since  [6  weeks  ago]  and  i  gotta  say  all  the  algea  in  my  tank  and  on  the  sand  has  gone,  wow.  gotta  say  it  was  well  worth  doing.  i  dont  monitor  growth  at  the  moment  but  this  is  something  i  will  be  doing  in  the  future,  my  set  up  was  basic  costing  very  little  as  i  wanted  to  try  this  before  i  really  looked  into  the  idea.  very  impressed  and  can  only  say  if  you  got  space  look  into  it"

Rysher  on  the  RC  site:   "i  have  a  6x9  screen,  1  inch  is  submerged  so  only  6x8  is  really  used,  i  also  have  a  40b.  it  has  been  my  only  form  of  filtration  ever  since  i  started  the  tank  [months  ago],  i  feed  almost  2  cubes  a  day,  only  have  2  fishes  but  u  cant  see  any  algae  on  my  DT,  almost  non  existent  film  algae  too,  i  clean  my  DT  glass  maybe  once  a  week."  

Packman90  on  the  RC  site:  "I  have  a  72  Gallon  bow  front  and  until  a  couple  of  months  ago  I  was  going  to  throw  my  tank  away  and  give  up  on  saltwater  tanks  all  together.  I  was  brand  new,  took  a  lot  of  advice,  started  my  system  and  watched  as  it  became  more  and  more  green,  until  i  found  out  about  scrubbers.  I  lost  all  of  the  coral  frags  I  bought,  about  $400.00  worth,  and  just  felt  that  I  would  never  get  it.  I  have  it  now,  and  just  bought  my  first  new  frags  in  over  8  months.  Thanks  to  all  of  you  scrubbers  out  there  who  showed  me  the  way.  Here  is  the  tank  after  the  scrubber  did  it's  magic.  this  took  a  total  of  1  month  for  it  to  clear  up,  and  I  did  not  remove  any  of  the  algae,  it  just  melted  a  way.  Only  problem  I  have  is  that  i  have  some  sea  grass  that  is  melting  away  as  well  and  cheto  in  my  sump  is  also  slowly  dieing."
SantaMonicaHelp
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:56 am Post subject: Re: Lowest cost way to eliminate green hair, bubble & tu Reply with quote

Here  are  the  requirements  for  building  a  UAS.

Screen  material:

1)
 Use  plastic  canvas  as  the  algae  screen.  Remember  to  roughen  it  up  properly  using  a  wood  saw  or  hole  saw.  You  can  get  plastic  canvas  at  craft  store  (under  sewing  section)  or  sewing  store  or  online  at  places  like  www.everythingplasticcanvas.com  or  ebay.  Screen  should  look  like  this:

Lighting

2)
 The  lighting  needs  to  be  1  watt  per  square  inch  (6.25  square  cm)  of  screen  material.  A  3  by  4  inch  screen  is  12  square  inches  not  24.  Make  sure  you  have  enough  wattage  and  use  a  reflector  if  the  light  doesnot  focus  on  screen.  For  fluorescent  bulbs,  it  needs  to  have  a  spectrum  of  2700k-3000k.  For  LEDs,  it  needs  to  be  red  660nm.  You  can  cut  the  wattage  in  half  if  you  are  using  LED  lights.  In  order  for  algae  to  grow,  make  sure  that  the  light  is  on  for  18  hours  a  day.  Here  are  some  bulbs  and  reflector  type:

Bubbles:

3)
 The  bubbles  need  to  be  rapid  and  large  and  distributed  through  out  the  screen  evenly  for  algae  to  grow.  The  best  way  to  do  this  is  by  slicing  the  air  tubing.  Make  sure  the  air  pump  is  good  so  that  the  bubbles  can  constantly  flow  across  the  screen  for  24  hours  a  day.  This  is  why  you  need  bubbles:  

SantaMonicaHelp
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:34 am Post subject: Re: Lowest cost way to eliminate green hair, bubble & tu Reply with quote

This  is  the  new  design  with  bubble  remover.  Smile

jabba
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:35 am Post subject: Re: Lowest cost way to eliminate green hair, bubble & tu Reply with quote

Clapping
SantaMonicaHelp
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:51 am Post subject: Re: Lowest cost way to eliminate green hair, bubble & tu Reply with quote

Do  you  have  any  suggestions  for  the  best  manufacturer  for  making  these?
nanomania
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:41 am Post subject: Re: Lowest cost way to eliminate green hair, bubble & tu Reply with quote

Well  iv  not  been  a  fan  of  up  flow  scrubbers  since  i  hate  salt  creep...  but  I  really  like  water  fall  ATS  designs......  there  are  a  few  questions......

1)Can  i  use  1w  warm  white  with  plant  grow  led?
 2)Can  i  go  for  bigger  ATS  then  recomended  (as  im  plannin  on  attachin  a  tank  to  my  current  setup)?
 3)Does  it  help  eliminating  pest  anemones?
 4)i  have  cheato  and  skimmer,  do  i  need  to  get  rid  of  them?
 5)im  using  GFO  and  Carbon,  do  i  need  them  too?
 6)Will  it  help  geting  rid  of  bubble  algae  that  comes  even  if  the  nutrients  are  low-0?
 7)How  heavy  can  i  go  on  Live  Stock?
 8)Im  also  facing  a  small  issue  of  cotton  candy  and  green  turf...  how  long  it  takes  to  eliminate  all  these  algae?
 9)  does  it  help  pod  population  and  plankton  to  increase?
SantaMonicaHelp
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:27 am Post subject: Re: Lowest cost way to eliminate green hair, bubble & tu Reply with quote

nanomania  wrote  (View  Post):                
Well  iv  not  been  a  fan  of  up  flow  scrubbers  since  i  hate  salt  creep...  but  I  really  like  water  fall  ATS  designs......  there  are  a  few  questions......

1)Can  i  use  1w  warm  white  with  plant  grow  led?
 2)Can  i  go  for  bigger  ATS  then  recomended  (as  im  plannin  on  attachin  a  tank  to  my  current  setup)?
 3)Does  it  help  eliminating  pest  anemones?
 4)i  have  cheato  and  skimmer,  do  i  need  to  get  rid  of  them?
 5)im  using  GFO  and  Carbon,  do  i  need  them  too?
 6)Will  it  help  geting  rid  of  bubble  algae  that  comes  even  if  the  nutrients  are  low-0?
 7)How  heavy  can  i  go  on  Live  Stock?
 8)Im  also  facing  a  small  issue  of  cotton  candy  and  green  turf...  how  long  it  takes  to  eliminate  all  these  algae?
 9)  does  it  help  pod  population  and  plankton  to  increase?                

1?660nm  red  LED  will  be  the  best.
 2)You  can,  however,  the  algae  will  not  grow  thick  and  will  not  provide  the  best  filtration.
 3)As  the  nutrient  level  get  to  0,  they  will  slowly  disappear
 4)The  UAS  scrubber  can  work  with  skimmer.  If  the  scrubber  is  build  correctly,  it  will  out  compete  the  cheato  and  kill  them.
 5)You  could  use  carbon  but  it  is  not  needed,  unless  you  use  medicine  with  your  tank.  You  cannot  use  GFO  with  the  scrubber.  GFO  absorb  phosphate.  If  you  use  GFO,  the  algae  will  not  grow.
 6)The  UAS  scrubber  will  out  compete  with  the  algae  in  display  tank  and  eventually  eliminate  them.
 7)It  depend  on  how  much  you  are  feeding.  3inchx4inch  algae  screen  can  handle  half  cube  of  food  a  day.
 8)These  will  start  to  disappear  slowly,  it  will  take  several  weeks  to  several  month.
 9)Yes,  it  helps
SantaMonicaHelp
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:17 am Post subject: Re: Lowest cost way to eliminate green hair, bubble & tu Reply with quote

This  is  the  Collector  UAS  Scrubber.  Smile

SantaMonicaHelp
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:30 am Post subject: Re: Lowest cost way to eliminate green hair, bubble & tu Reply with quote

Some  success  stories  of  people  who  built  upflow  algae  scrubbers...

ReeferMat  on  the  MASC  site:  "So  I  decided  to  build  one  of  these  [UAS  scrubbers]  today.  It's  huge  because  all  I  had  was  a  12  inch  airstone,  but  I'm  hoping  that  won't  matter  too  much.  It  cost  me  less  than  $20  to  build,  so  if  it  works  that  is  the  best  bang  for  the  buck  I  have  ever  seen  in  the  war  on  algae!  It  has  been  up  and  running  for  3  months  now  and  I  have  to  say  my  tank  looks  a  lot  better.  Every  time  I  clean  it  it  grows  a  new  type  of  algae,  slime,  turf,  etc...  and  it  grows  fast.  I  would  say  I  have  seen  a  decline  in  nuisance  algae  in  my  tank,  but  to  be  honest  that  would  be  an  understatement....  It  has  all  but  eradicated  it.  Every  time  I  look  at  the  scrubber  I  can't  help  but  think  that  all  that  junk  would  be  growing  in  my  DT"

Owenreefin  on  the  PNWMAS  site:  "The  first  two  months  of  running  this  UAS  scrubber  thing  I  was  convinced  I  was  going  to  rip  it  out  for  the  algae  growth  was  dismal,  and  I  figured  that  my  system  just  couldn't  make  it  work.  (I  also  have  algae  in  my  fuge)  WELL  I  WAS  WRONG.  The  thing  started  to  really  kick  in.  So  much  so  that  I  just  conducted  my  only  water  change  in  2  months  and  I  hardly  think  it  was  even  necessary.  I  usually  do  a  change  of  30%  every  2  weeks.  My  sand  bed  has  cleared  up  big  time  too.  With  the  water  change  I  pulled  out  a  good  baseball  sized  amount  of  algae  off  the  scrubber,  couldn't  be  happier!  I  will  always  be  running  one  of  these.  I  will  post  pics  of  its  growth  next  time  I  change  water.  Many  months  from  now.  Smile  "   

Bobba  on  the  scrubber  site:  "Well,  it's  been  almost  3  weeks  with  the  HOG.5,  and  2  with  my  lone  Turbo  snail.  I  am  happy  to  report  that  I  have  no  Hair  Algae  left  in  the  tank.  No  signs  of  any  regrowth  of  what  the  snail  has  eaten  either."

Clavius  on  the  scrubber  site:

"I've  been  running  a  500  liter  tank  now  for  5  years.  It  is  very  well  stocked  with  SPS,  LPS,  softies,  filter  feeders  and  a  modest  amount  of  fish.  The  nutrients  were  being  kept  very  low  by  a  combination  of  a  giant  skimmer  and  the  ZEOvit  method.  Off  course,  this  results  in  very  lightly  coloured  corals,  which  was  my  goal.  Generally  I'm  very  pleased  with  the  colouring  and  growth  of  my  corals,  and  please  with  my  tank  in  general.  But  one  battle  I've  always  lost:  brown  algae  covering  my  sandbed.  I  could  not,  for  the  life  of  me,  find  what  was  causing  those  algae.  Not  to  mention  solve  it.  I've  tried  many  many  things  to  solve  it,  but  up  untill  recently,  without  luck.  

Almost  three  weeks  ago  though,  I  installed  a  HOG.5  unit.  It  was  a  little  experiment  that  I  wanted  to  do  ever  since  I  learned  about  algae  scrubbers.  I  was  never  creative  enough  to  build  one  myself,  as  the  space  in  my  100  ltr  sump  is  very  limited.  The  HOG.5  was  affordable  and  tiny  enough  to  enable  my  experiment.  I  could  even  fit  6  of  those  units  in  there  with  ease.  Off  course,  with  the  ZEO-method,  my  nutrients  already  were  really  very  low.  I  couldn't  measure  any  NO3  or  PO4  with  my  Salifert  test  kits.  And  I  never  bothered  with  more  expensive  kits;  unmeasurable  should  be  good  enough.  I  wanted  to  see  if  the  vitamins  and  amino  acids  that  the  algae  scrubber  produces  would  add  anything  to  my  reef.  And,  more  importantly,  if  the  algae  would  consume  "something"  that  the  brown  algae  on  my  sandbed  require.

The  result  in  my  sandbed  is  staggering.  After  only  3  weeks,  not  a  trace  of  the  pesky  brown  algae  is  left!  An  extra  benefit,  that  I  didn't  expect,  is  that  my  lightly  coloured  corals  now  all  have  noticably  much  more  colour.  Without  getting  darker.  They  seem  to  glow!  I  don't  know  if  it  is  from  the  vitamins  that  are  released  in  the  water  [from  the  algae  scrubber].  Or  maybe  the  ugly  brown  algae  [on  the  sand]  were  also  covering  my  corals  and  that  I  now  finally  seeing  my  uncovered  corals!  Strangely  enough,  the  algae  in  my  HOG.5  aren't  light  green,  as  you  would  expect  with  nutrient-poor  tanks.  But  they're  a  mix  of  dark  brown  with  red  tints  here  and  there.  So,  I  have  no  idea  why  that  is  or  how  that  works.  But  at  this  stage  I'm  just  so  happy  that  I  really  don't  care."
SantaMonicaHelp
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:12 am Post subject: Re: Lowest cost way to eliminate green hair, bubble & tu Reply with quote

Some  more  UAS  upflow  algae  scrubber  (tm)  examples...

"Joey2525"  on  the  CMF  site...

"Alexleblanc"  on  the  scrubber  site...

"Disney"  on  the  PH841  site...

"Cdm2012"  on  the  scrubber  site...

"Bicyclebill"  on  the  PNWMAS  site

"Mbonus"  on  the  scrubber  site...

"UasIslakkie"  on  the  your  site...

"Alman"  on  the  AH  site...

"JosephAcquario"  on  another  site...

"Ericsson"  on  the  scrubber  site...

"FotisGt"  on  the  AZ  site...

"Colin"  on  the  PNWMAS  site...

"Accrod"  on  the  PH841  site...

"Atari"  on  the  MC  site...

"Kaykay"  on  the  SG  site...

"Jameshopper"  on  the  your  site...

nanomania
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:32 pm Post subject: Re: Lowest cost way to eliminate green hair, bubble & tu Reply with quote

Do  u  guys  still  make  this??

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/santa-monica-filtration/56163-santa-monica-100-acrylic-scrubber.html
pennyilurm
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:16 pm Post subject: Re: Lowest cost way to eliminate green hair, bubble & tu Reply with quote

Hello,

This  is  an  interesting  concept.  

Using  a  cheap  canister  filter  with  light  on  it  work?  .We  can  insert  these  mesh  inside  the  canister.   

regards

Niranjan
SantaMonica
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:38 am Post subject: Re: Lowest cost way to eliminate green hair, bubble & tu Reply with quote

Quote:                
Do   u   guys   still   make   this??                  

No,  the  SM100  was  too  big  and  too  expensive.  Especially  shipping  to  India  :o

Quote:                
Canisters                

Whether  canister  or  not,  a  UAS  scrubber  needs  air  bubbles.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: