193. Guest
194. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,891

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - keeping Beginner corals without chiller
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

keeping Beginner corals without chiller
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Live Rock and Invertebrates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ram_a_rosi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:21 am Post subject: Re: keeping Beginner corals without chiller Reply with quote

red_devil  wrote  (View  Post):                
Well  if  he  doesn't  have  a  chiller  and  is  looking  for  corals  which  survive  in  high  temperatures,  there  should  be  a  way  out.  I  have  seen  corals  in  chennai  and  if  they  survive,  he  should  check  if  people  have  done  that  earlier.....  As  I  said  I  am  no  expert  on  it.  But  blindly  putting  that  reefs  are  not  for  him  is  not  the  right  way.  There  could  be  corals  which  survive  the  temperature  and  if  any,  go  for  it....Simple.If  not,  just  buy  a  chiller  as  "The  people  with  advanced  level  of  knowledge"  here  have  said..                

You  need  not  Highlight   yes  the  some  of  them  are  with  very  advanced  level  of  knowledge.  they  breathe  aquariums.  do  not   make  fun  or  mock  them.
nanomania
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:07 pm Post subject: Re: keeping Beginner corals without chiller Reply with quote

Without  chiller,  reef  tank  is  a  strict  NO  NO.....  If  going  for  fish  only  or  with  LR,  you  need  a  chiller  if  the  tank  is  small....  Go  for  a  minimum  3.5  to  4ft  or  larger  fish  only  tank  if  you  are  not  adding  a  chiller.  but  still  keep  lesser  qty  of  live  stock.  high  temps  =  low  O2  levels.....  these  beautiful  fishes  come  from  oceans,  they  have  been  tortured  in  plastic  bag  and  completely  under  stress  so  taking  good  care  of  them  is  a  must.  They  should  thrive  in  your  tank....  Any  fish  you  like  should  be  studied  online  before  you  buy...  many  fishes  only  eat  live  stuff  and  many  fish  eat  only  one  kinda  stuff  which  lfs  will  never  tell  you  as  they  are  just  intrested  in  selling  them  and  give  you  wrong  information......  anyways  dont  go  for  marine  if  you  cant  add  a  chiller......
red_devil
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:20 pm Post subject: Re: keeping Beginner corals without chiller Reply with quote

Quote:                
You  need  not  Highlight   yes  the  some  of  them  are  with  very  advanced  level  of  knowledge.  they  breathe  aquariums.  do  not   make  fun  or  mock  them.                

Well  I  just  breathe  air,  so  wouldn't  know  about  it.  Anyways  I  think  we  are  diverting  from  the  topic.  
 The  originator  of  this  thread  probably  knows  by  now  what  to  do.   
 I  think  nanomania  has  put  it  corrrectly  above.
aquarius
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:27 am Post subject: Re: keeping Beginner corals without chiller Reply with quote

Well  I  just  breathe  air,  so  wouldn't  know  about  it.  Anyways  I  think  we  are  diverting  from  the  topic.  
 The  originator  of  this  thread  probably  knows  by  now  what  to  do.   
 I  think  nanomania  has  put  it  corrrectly  above.                

@red_devil,
 I  observe  that  you  are  just  10  posts  old.
 Though  this  does  not  necessarily  indicate  your  expertise  level,  it  is  a  good  indicator  that  you  keep  a  close  watch  on  the  comments  made  by  the  men  in  green  (the  Moderators  to  be  precise).
 These  folks  are  genuinely  masters  in  their  own  category  of  expertise  and  are  dedicated  to  guiding  beginners  like  us  in  the  right  path.
 One  of  the  underlying  motives  of  IAH  is  to  prevent  beginners  from  falling  prey  to  the  malpractices  advocated  by  most  LFS  in  this  country.
 Try  to  respect  their  noble  intentions  and  do  not  try  to  justify  the  essence  of  your  userID.
Mohammed Mudassir
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:59 am Post subject: Re: keeping Beginner corals without chiller Reply with quote

Well,  beginner  corals  u  ask,
 There  are  a  coupleof  hardy  corals  to  begin  the  reef  hobbby.  The  catch  here  is  that  the  corals  will  only  survive  in  the  tank  and  not  thrive.  Hence  all  the  members  here  are  asking  you  to  go  for  a  chiller  as  this  community  is  to  educate  people  and  help  them  in  making  their  corals  thrive  in  captive  conditions  instead  if  just  surviving.  Dont  take  any  of  the  words  said  by  any  member  in  the  negative  way,  they  may  sound  harsh  but  its  for  your  good  that  you  dont  end  up  at  a  loss  and  for  the  good  of  the  coral  as  well.

Now  back  to  the  topic.  Stability  is  the  Key.  There  are  a  few  of  corals  that  originate  in  India  that  can  survive  in  temperatues  of  upto  32  C.
 1)  Zoanthids  (commonly  available  everywhere)  and  the  most  hardy  and  best  of  beginner  coral  in  my  experience.
 2)Mushrooms  (  chop  em  up  into  a  thousand  pieces  and  they  will  grow  back.  This  is  how  hardy  they  are.)
 3)  Sun  coral  (many  might  say  this  is  not  hardy,  but  in  my  opinion  its  a  good  one.  The  only  problem  with  sun  coral  is  you  will  have  to  feed  each  and  every  polyp,  or  else  it  will  starve  to  death.)

One  final  word.  Read  and  Read  and  Read  more  about  the  coral  you  plan  to  get  and  make  it  thrive  not  just  survive.
Ram_a_rosi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:47 pm Post subject: Re: keeping Beginner corals without chiller Reply with quote

@red_devil,
 It  was  not  to  reprimand  you.  just  a  word  of  caution  not  to  underestimate  others.
 Everyone  is  learning  over  here,  Even  the  masters  are  ,  its  just  that  their  repertoire  is  much  better   
 Swarnendu  has  said  it  the  best  way  below

@red_devil,
 I  observe  that  you  are  just  10  posts  old.
 Though  this  does  not  necessarily  indicate  your  expertise  level,  it  is  a  good  indicator  that  you  keep  a  close  watch  on  the  comments  made  by  the  men  in  green  (the  Moderators  to  be  precise).
 These  folks  are  genuinely  masters  in  their  own  category  of  expertise  and  are  dedicated  to  guiding  beginners  like  us  in  the  right  path.
 One  of  the  underlying  motives  of  IAH  is  to  prevent  beginners  from  falling  prey  to  the  malpractices  advocated  by  most  LFS  in  this  country.
 Try  to  respect  their  noble  intentions  and  do  not  try  to  justify  the  essence  of  your  userID.[/quote]
   Clapping   Clapping   Clapping   :clap:

@sidhyesh
 update  your  exact  location.  you  will  be  helped  by  the  experts
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:37 pm Post subject: Re: keeping Beginner corals without chiller Reply with quote

[quote]]
 Well  I  just  breathe  air,  so  wouldn't  know  about  it.                

Kindly  go  through  the  guidelines  of  the  forum.  
 There  is  no  need  for  personal  attacks  on  members.
 One  should  give  advice  only  from  his  own  experience.
 So  far  you  have  given  not  name  of  a  single  coral  which  can  be  kept  healthy  for  extended  periods  of  time  without  chiller.
 Just  because  you  have  seen  something  in  a  LFS  does  not  make  it  right,  LFS  are  known  for  giving  wrong  advice  and  keeping  fish  in  unhealthy  environment.
red_devil
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:00 pm Post subject: Re: keeping Beginner corals without chiller Reply with quote

Well  if  you  read  the  previous  threads,  you  will  understand  who  is  making  personal  attacks.  Someone  just  commented  that  I  am  really  something  else.  Whereas  people  who  really  know  about  reefs  have  replied  with  facts  and  educated  veryone  including  me.  As  I  said,  I  neither  own  a  reef  aquarium,  neither  planning  to  own  and  neither  have  any  experience  on  it.  I  just  put  forward  a  point  and  then  some  poured  in  the  attacks.  I  didn't  stab  anyone  in  their  chest.  I  just  made  a  point,  adding  that  I  had  no  experience  and  asked  him  to  see  if  there  any  options  since  I  had  seen  some  at  the  LFS.  After  reading  the  reply  from  quite  good  posts  from  nanomania  or  Mohammed,  its  obvious  that  I  was  wrong.  But  that  doesnt  mean  that  people  say  I  am  something  else,  or  stop  saying.  If  you  know  its  wrong,  just  mention  it  with  facts  and  everyone  benefits  reading  it.
aquariumer
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:39 pm Post subject: Re: keeping Beginner corals without chiller Reply with quote

@Red  Devil  its  not  good  to  highlight  statements  on  any  of  forums  and  Ramdas  has  just  pointed  that
 and  in  this  situation  why  don't  you  give  some  reference  for  what  you  had  said  to  be  read  

but  Sandeep  this  guy  has  been  cornered  and  some  of  the  posts  are  personal,  I  think  he  had  mentioned  that  he  has  no  experience  in  keeping  coral  but  I  think  he  just  tried  to  give  his  opinion.
 I  request  all  lets  have  a  friendly  enviroment
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:36 pm Post subject: Re: keeping Beginner corals without chiller Reply with quote

kindly  keep  all  further  posts  on  query  of  original  poster.  Any  non  related  posts  will  be  deleted.
murthy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:49 pm Post subject: Re: keeping Beginner corals without chiller Reply with quote

Hi  Sidhyesh(If  you  are  still  there  and  not  put  off  by  the  childish  bickering)   Smile  
 First,my  sympathy  to  you  for  living  in  mumbai(and  not  keeping  discus  instead)
 While  it  is  true  you  are  doomed  to  fail  without  low  temperatures(please  note...i'm  not  saying  chiller!),there  is  no  harm  in  trying  to  be  innovative.
 1.There  are  posts  regarding  DIY  chillers  that  involve  messing  around  with  your  family  fridge  and  some  basic  plumbing.
 2.Most  homes  in  mumbai  can  afford  air  conditioning....consider  shifting  the  tank  to  such  a  room,and  be  generous  in  the  running  of  AC.Current  bill  vat  lagadega....but  its  worth  a  try.
 3.Use  tank  top  fans(planted  tank  guys  will  guide  you...)but  mumbai  being  humid,  this  may  not  amount  to  much  cooling.Try.

If  all  else  fails,go  ahead  with  corals  anyway(ONLY  captive  farmed,  mind  you!Its  your  responsibility  to  ensure  you  dont  mess  with  natural  reefs)kill  as  many  farm  cultured  corals  as  you  need  to  convince  yourself  it  does  not  work.And  IF  any  species  should  live  for  a  year  or  more  please  post,that  would  make  you  an  expert  on  warm  water  corals(I  have  a  strong  feeling  other  experts  have  done  their  share  of  killing,I've  kept  marine  tanks  for  over  10  years  now.I  should  be  in  hell  for  the  amount  of  deaths  i'm  responsible  for(fresh  water  and  salt)

Red  Devil......my  sympathies  for  you  too.Some  of  the  responses  you  recieved  were  in  bad  taste.Hota  hai!
sripad
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:52 pm Post subject: Re: keeping Beginner corals without chiller Reply with quote

If  you  have  an  auto  top  off  maybe  you  can  use  a  PC  fan  to  cool  and  what  lighting  are  you  using?
murthy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:53 pm Post subject: Re: keeping Beginner corals without chiller Reply with quote

sorry  for  double  posting......
 @sidhyesh.....on  second  thoughts,please  make  sure  you  have  gone  through  proper  stages  of  experience  regarding  marine  fish/reef  keeping.If  not  read  on-
 1.first  stage  would  be  to  ask  yourself  this  question:can  I  keep  marine  fish  alive(for  a  year  or  more).....if  yes  go  to  next  question
 2.can  I  cure  live  rock?(i  mean  REALLY  cure  live  rock)you  will  be  surprised  with  number  of  surprises  fresh,good  quality  live  rock  can  throw  at  you!caulerpa,halimeda,sponges,coralline  algea,purple  crabs,mantis  shrimp(okay  a  pest)aiptasia(also  a  pest  in  the  next  stage,but  pretty  all  the  same!)You  may  actually  forget  about  corals!
 3.Lets  try  corals!by  now  you  are  eligible  to  trial  and  error  of  some  sorts(keeping  in  mind  ecological  ethics!!!!)

If  you  have  been  through  the  above  process,then  continue  posting  on  this  thread.  Smile
Vipul
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:30 am Post subject: Re: keeping Beginner corals without chiller Reply with quote

murthy  wrote  (View  Post):                

If  all  else  fails,go  ahead  with  corals  anyway(ONLY  captive  farmed,  mind  you!Its  your  responsibility  to  ensure  you  dont  mess  with  natural  reefs)kill  as  many  farm  cultured  corals  as  you  need  to  convince  yourself  it  does  not  work.And  IF  any  species  should  live  for  a  year  or  more  please  post,that  would  make  you  an  expert  on  warm  water  corals(I  have  a  strong  feeling  other  experts  have  done  their  share  of  killing,I've  kept  marine  tanks  for  over  10  years  now.I  should  be  in  hell  for  the  amount  of  deaths  i'm  responsible  for(fresh  water  and  salt)                

Hey  sorry  to  jump  in  But  this  is  a  horrible  thing  to  say  

Farm  Cultured  or  not  Corals  are  living  organisms  and  to  make  a  statement  like  
 That  is  in  very  bad  Taste.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sid
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:12 pm Post subject: Re: keeping Beginner corals without chiller Reply with quote

Dear  Siddhesh,

Problem  solved  -  most  homes  in  Mumbai  have  air  conditoning.  There  we  go,  that's  your  solution  right  there  for  successful  keeping  corals.  Why  the  hell  were  we  bickering  then?  And  Stupid  me,  why  did  I  (and  the  other  mumbai  reefers)  buy  a  chiller  when  we  could  have  kept  the  AC  on  all  day  and  all  night.  Most  of  us  in  Mumbai  have  air  conditioning,  don't  we?  Duh!  and  we  love  generous  electricity  bills.

Also  the  thought  of  turning  my  family  fridge  into  a  DIY  chiller  did  cross  my  mind  but  you  know  how  unreasonable  family  members  can  be.  I  have  also  come  to  realize  making  DIY  chillers  is  really  simple  so  I  wonder  why  these  chiller  companies  still  bother  doing  business.  All  you  need  to  make  a  DIY  chiller  is  the  family  fridge  and  to  be  'innovative.'  Anyway  I  am  sure  marine  veterans  with  10  years  plus  of  experience  will  guide  on  how  to  make  these  easy  and  'basic'  DIY  chillers.  Then  your  options  will  be  between  24/7  air  conditioning  in  your  residence  or  a  diy  chiller.

Siddhesh  now  you  can  keep  corals  as  you  have  been  declared  eligible  by  a  vastly  experienced  hobbyist  as  along  as  you  keep  'ecological  ethics'  in  mind.  

Also  as  so  rightly  pointed  out  why  can't  you  keep  discus?!!  You're  in  mumbai  dude.  Keep  discus!  You  don't  need  experience,  you  just  need  to  be  in  Mumbai  to  keep  Discus.

Dear  red  devil  sorry  about  the  bad  taste  we  left  you  with.  We  thought  we  were  offering  advice  to  a  fellow  mumbai  hobbyist  based  on  our  own  experiences  but  little  did  we  know  we  were  so  horribly  misinformed.  For  e.g  why  did  i  spend  so  much  money  and  time  and  effort  on  keeping  my  corals  alive  and  healthy  when  i  could  have  just  let  them  die  instead.  But  now  hopefully  with  this  simple  solution  of  airconditioning  and  diy  chillers  plus  warm  water  corals  plus  some  casualties  along  the  way  Siddhesh  can  have  a  successful  reef  tank.

Finally  thank  you  to  Murthy  sir  for  swooping  down  like  a  guardian  angel  to  put  an  end  to  our  childesh  bickering.  You  have  shown  us  the  light  sir.  Your  solution  of  killing  as  many  'captive  farmed'  corals  to  find  out  if  they  live  or  die  in  high  temperatures  is  groundbreaking  indeed.  I  think  your  thoughts  on  ecological  ethics  should  be  made  academically  available  to  marine  biologists.  They  could  learn  a  thing  or  two  from  you.

This  is  Sid  signing  off  from  the  comfort  of  my  plush  centrally  air  conditioned  home  and  relieved  by  the  fact  that  I  kill  as  many  'captive  farmed'  corals  as  i  like.

PS:  For  Sale:  Chiller,  Skimmer,  sump,  uv  filter,  test  kits,  powerheads,  lights,  additives  etc.  Reason  for  selling:  Not  needed  anymore.  Read  above.
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Live Rock and Invertebrates All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: