64. Guest
65. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,858

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Red eye guppy dying
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Red eye guppy dying
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Diseases & Cures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRDHEEP
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:58 pm Post subject: Red eye guppy dying Reply with quote

With  my  remote  location,  I  have  always  had  a  small  mortality  rate  whenever  I  buy  new  fish.  
 I  had  a  recent  experience  with  10  of  my  new  guppies  dying  the  same  day  I  got  them.
 We  have  only  10  hours  of  intermittent  power  in  tamilnadu.  So  filter  wouldnt  have  been  powered  throughout.

Got  10  more  from  a  different  seller.  There  were  2  dead  guppies  in  the  LFS  tank.  
 The  seller  used  his  hands  to  transfer  fish  from  the  net  even  after  repeatedly  telling  him  not  to  use  his  hands.
 The  fish  were  not  clinically  sick  when  I  got  them  from  the  LFS.
 Floated  the  plastic  cover  to  acclimatise  and  then  put  the  fish  in  a  new  bare  bottom  tank.  Put  in  a  filter  from  old  tank.  Connected  the  filter  to  invertor  supply  to  ensure  it  runs  even  with  power  failure.
 In  the  morning,  5  fishes  were  dead.  2  more  were  upside  down  floating  but  wriggling  lethargically  when  disturbed.  They  too  died  today.  3  fishes  are  alive  now.
 Using  bore  water  for  all  my  aquarium.  
 What  else  can  be  done  to  ensure  survival  of  new  fishes.  Can  methylene  blue  or  rock  salt  be  used  routinely  to  quarantine  new  fishes.  My  tetras,  mollies,  bichir,  shrimp  etc  survived.  Are  guppies  more  sensitive?
deepakg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:25 pm Post subject: Re: Red eye guppy dying Reply with quote

Comeon  dr.  Why  do  you  always  have  bad  news?
navneethtk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:31 pm Post subject: Re: Red eye guppy dying Reply with quote

I've  had  lots  of  experience  with  guppies.  Once  same  thing  happened  to  me.  I  only  suspected  the  water  as  the  problem.  Get  the  water  ph  tested  and  see  that  it's  perfectly  fit  for  them.  But  guppies  are  the  most  hardiest  fish,  since  you're  in  a  coastal  area  it  might  be  because  of  the  salinity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
DRDHEEP
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:39 pm Post subject: Re: Red eye guppy dying Reply with quote

deepakg  :  It's  not  always  bad  news.  I  just  share  the  bad  with  you  experts  so  that  you  guys  can  help  me.
 In  other  news,  my  shrimp  are  doing  well.  Breeding  like  crazy.  I  have  had  to  give  some  to  my  friends.
 All  the  quarantined  black  mollies  survived.  One  even  has  bred.
 My  main  planted  60G  tank  has  had  zero  casualities  for  past  2  months.  Plants  are  flourishing.
 My  bichir,  black  ghost  tank  is  also  doing  great.
 I  have  issues  with  new  fishes.   Crying or Very sad
deepakg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:58 pm Post subject: Re: Red eye guppy dying Reply with quote

That's  great  dr.  Please  share  some  pictures.
 Its  the  water  ..  which  is  killing  your  fish.  
 Just  a  silly  question..
 Who  cleans  your  tank  and  does  he  use  anything  to  clean  it?
deepakg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:02 pm Post subject: Re: Red eye guppy dying Reply with quote

Nothing  kills  a  guppy.  Unless  its  ditergent  or  pesticides.
DRDHEEP
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:35 pm Post subject: Re: Red eye guppy dying Reply with quote

deepakg  :  DETERGENT?    The  bucket  used  to  clean  the  tank  was  used  earlier  to  wash  clothes!
 My  man  friday  -  Dhamu  does  the  cleaning  stuff.  I  instructed  him  how  to  clean.  Now  he  does  on  his  own.
deepakg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:39 pm Post subject: Re: Red eye guppy dying Reply with quote

Get  a  sep  bucket  for  water  change.  And  talk  to  him  about  soap.
deepakg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:01 pm Post subject: Re: Red eye guppy dying Reply with quote

#  Get  brand  new  scotchbrites  for  scrubbing.
 #  filter  media  should  not  be  cleaned  with  soap  or  hot  water.
 #  Get  a  new  bucket  for  water  change.
 #  For  cleaning  filter  media.take  out  water  from  your  fish  tank  and.  just  rinse  it  gently  in  it.  But  dont  make  it  squicky  clean.
 #  cover  your  tanks  properly  before  using  pesticides  to  kill  cockroaches  and  stuff.
 #  Wash  hand  with  water  before  putting  it  inside  your  tank.
 #  keep  tanks  away  from  kitchen.
 #  quarantine  everything  bought  live  from  lfs
 #  temp....  Do  not  just  come  in  and  drop  your  fish  in  your  tank.  Keep  the  fish  in  the  bag  and  put  the  bag  in  your  tank  for  half  an  hour.  

These  are  few  things  I  wanted  to  share  with  you  .  And  post  pictures  of  your  happy  fish.  Smile
deepesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:48 pm Post subject: Re: Red eye guppy dying Reply with quote

The  guppies  were  sick  from  the  very  beginning!  Hope  the  remaining  three  recover.  The  aquarium  trade  abuses  guppies  a  lot.

deepesh
DRDHEEP
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:17 pm Post subject: Re: Red eye guppy dying Reply with quote

deepakg  :  Thanks  for  the  expert  tips.  Happy  fish  are  all  now  sick  fish  cos  of  co2  poisoning.  

DRDHEEP  wrote  (View  Post):                
The  worst  has  happened.  
 Instead  of  switching  off  co2  solenoid,  switched  off  the  canister  filter  by  mistake.
 All  fishes  were  gasping  for  air  in  morning.  Loaches  had  bloody  spots.  
 Transferred  all  to  another  tank  and  running  2  power  filters  and  one  oxygen  pump.
 Zebras,  algae  eater,  mollies  and  loaches  have  recovered.
 Tetras,  halfbeak  and  eels  are  still  struggling.
 2  Serpae,  galaxy  rasbora  have  died.

Did  100%  water  change  in  main  tank.  But  still  lots  of  co2  bubbles  inside  the  tank.  Keeping  lights  switched  off  to  avoid  new  photosynthesis.
 What  else  should  be  done  to  the  old  tank  to  ensure  the  remaining  co2  is  eliminated.
 deepakg  is  gonna  bury  me  alive.  But  experts  please  help.                

On  the  recovery  road  though.
deepakg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:45 pm Post subject: Re: Red eye guppy dying Reply with quote

Dr..  you  said  you  dropped  the  guppies  in  bb  tank.  So  
 if  it  was  a  bare  bottom  tank..  so  why  CO2  ?
 So..  Is  that  the  happy  fish  tank?
deepakg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:51 pm Post subject: Re: Red eye guppy dying Reply with quote

Oh!  I  didn't  read  that  post.Sad
ksandy01
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:46 am Post subject: Re: Red eye guppy dying Reply with quote

If  they  died  on  the  same  day  when  they  arrived,  it  could  most  likely  because  of  Stress  /  disease  /  not  Acclimatized  correctly  when  introduced  to  your  tank.

In  my  opinion,  if  you  see  dead  fish  of  same  specimen  in  your  LFS  tank,  you  should  never  buy  them.  Probably  visit  the  store  in  couple  of  days  again  and  see  how  many  of  them  are  survived.

Stress  is  likely  because  these  fish  travels  a  lot  from  one  trader  to  another,  packing  ,  repacking  and  stuff.  lot  of  water  changes  during  the  travel  &  hence  when  they  reach  the  destination,  they  are  normally  in  poor  shape.  So  In  my  opinion,  you(if  not  your  LFS)  should  wait  for  2-3  days  before  deciding  to  buy  one.

currently  I  am  having  only  fancy  guppies  in  my  tanks  &  if  you  want  to  keep  these  fancy  strains  in  your  Aquarium  healthy,  my  tip  is  to  do  water  change  at  regular  interval.  If  you  skip  the  water  change  cycle  then  more  or  less  you  will  be  in  trouble  with  fancy  guppies.  There  are  other(less  fancy)  guppies  too  which  in  my  experience  are  more  hardier  than  these  ones.

Hope  this  helps.

Sandy
DRDHEEP
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:20 pm Post subject: Re: Red eye guppy dying Reply with quote

ksandy01  :  Thanks  sandy.  And  my  LFS  stocks  only  male  of  each  variety.  Is  it  to  prevent  breeding  by  hobbyist  or  because  males  are  more  colorful?
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Diseases & Cures All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: