224. Guest
225. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,006
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,006

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,837

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - My first Planted tank.....Help in Making it Better...!
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

My first Planted tank.....Help in Making it Better...!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquascaping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nbj12345
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:39 pm Post subject: My first Planted tank.....Help in Making it Better...! Reply with quote

I  have  kept  fish  for  more  than  an  year  now  but  quiet  recently  i  started  leaning  towards  the  Planted  Tanks

So  did  read  up  a  few  things  and  bugged  many  aquarists  with  lot  of  PM's  on  various  forums
 and  finally  made  this  setup  
 It  is  not  a  professional  one  though,  just  an  beginner's  work

Tank  Dimensions  :  2ft  x  1ft  x  1ft  (LBH)

Substrate  :  2kg  aquaclay  +  2kg  0f  Biobase  +  topped  with  10L  bag  of  2mm  Contro  soil  
 Hardscape:  Used  rocks  which  i  collected  from  Cauvery  river

Flora:

Dwarf  Hair  grass
 Blyxya  Japonica
 Cabomba
 Egeria  Densa
 Star  Grass
 Difformis
 Vallisneria  Twister

Fauna:

6  Neon  tetras
 12  Dwarf  Danios
 a  pair  of  Rummy  Nose,  Cherry  Barb  and  Ramirize  each
 and  a  pair  of  Golden  algae  eaters  and  assassin  snails  each

Lighting  is  Sunsun  HDD  600  55W  PLL  lighting
 Oceanfree  super  1  HOB  filter

Initially  with  no  CO2  so  chose  hair  grass  for  carpet
 but  after  3  weeks  now  with  a  Pressurised  CO2  system  with  ista  difffuser

As  my  tank  's  height  is  less  ,  12  inch  -  3  inch  substrate  so  only  9  inch  left  out  
 so  had  to  trim  the  plants  soon  
 after  trimming  the  plants  are  growing  unevenly  into  random  directions

and  most  of  cabomba  are  more  stems  than  leaves  ,even  though  they  are  pearling  regularly
nbj12345
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:46 pm Post subject: Re: My first Planted tank.....Help in Making it Better...! Reply with quote

After  a  month  of  setting  up  the  tank,  
 the  plants  are  all  in  not  so  good  condition
 and  few  plants  like  Blyxya  are  shredding  their  leaves  ,
 camomba  leaves  are  not  so  green  looks  like  brownish
 and  thread  algae  is  seen  over  many  plants  which  i  am  cleaning  manually  right  now
 and  saw  few  green  dots  all  over  the  front  glass,which  i  scrubbed  manually

Please  do  suggest  some  good  plants  for  my  setup  and  do  suggest  any  alternations  for  the  scape  if  it's  possible  i'll  change  it

here  are  pics  of  my  tanks  present  conditions

PS:  sorry  for  the  Bad  quality  of  pics  taken  from  a  mobile  phone
deepakg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:57 pm Post subject: Re: My first Planted tank.....Help in Making it Better...! Reply with quote

Hi  you  can  add  some  java  moss  too.  And  please  shift  the  HOB  to  the  side.  Over  all  looks  good.  Whats  your  water  changing  schedule?
nbj12345
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:15 pm Post subject: Re: My first Planted tank.....Help in Making it Better...! Reply with quote

@Deepak

At  first  the  HOB  was  at  side  only  (can  be  seen  in  the  1st  pic)  after  adding  CO2  diffuser  i  moved  it  to  the  middle  so  as  the  bobbles  of  CO2  get  circulated  well  to  all  parts  of  the  tank

where  do  you  suppose  i  place  Java  moss,  id  do  want  place  moss  and  add  few  RCS  but  couldn't  really  think  of  where  i  can  place  the  moss

and  i  do  weekly  25  -  30%  water  changes  and  top  up  water  in  mid  week
Athreyan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:20 pm Post subject: Re: My first Planted tank.....Help in Making it Better...! Reply with quote

hi,
 First  off,  your  tank  &  rocks  look  great!   Thumb Up  

You  used  too  much  of  substrate.  I  think  you  could  have  done  with  one  inch  less.  But  that's  not  really  a  problem,  except  for  space  occupied  &  money  spent.

I'm  always  an  advocate  for  dense  planting.  So  start  off  by  planting  more  densely.  Specifically  the  hair  grass.  With  the  amount  of  hair  grass  you  have,  it  will  take  ages  to  fill  out  into  the  entire  foreground,  and  you  have  a  huge  foreground  space.  Planting  more  densely  also  helps  keep  algae  in  check.

IMO  your  primary  problem  for  algae  is  very  high  lighting.  You  used  55W  of  lighting  for  a  12-15  gallon  tank  which  is  more  than  4x.  And  the  fact  that  you  didn't  have  co2  earlier  made  matters  worse.  All  you  may  need  is  a  36W  light.

Another  thing  is,  with  high  lights  &  pressurized  co2,  you  MUST  supplement  nutrients.  In  a  low  tech  setup,  it  may  not  always  be  necessary,  but  in  a  high  tech  setup,  it  is  definitely  needed.  remember  that  it  is  the  balance  between  light,  co2  &  nutrients  that  gives  success.  If  you  have  high  lights  &  press'd  co2,  the  plants'  uptake  of  nutrients  is  also  high.  This  nutrient  level  cannot  be  sustained  without  supplementation.

please  specify:
 amount  of  time  the  lights  are  ON.  (it  is  best  to  keep  a  regular  schedule,  and  keep  them  on  for  no  longer  than  8-9  hrs  a  day)
 co2  flow  rate  (BPS)  (about  2-3  BPS  should  be  good  for  you)
nbj12345
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:00 pm Post subject: Re: My first Planted tank.....Help in Making it Better...! Reply with quote

Athreyan  wrote  (View  Post):                
hi,
 First  off,  your  tank  &  rocks  look  great!   Thumb Up                  

Thanks  Athreyan   Smile  

plant  growth  was  very  good  but  i  did  a    mistake  of  using  an  anti  ick  medicine  into  my  tank  which  has  made  my  plants  to  shred  leaves  ,my  bad    Sad  

I'm  confused  with  the  fertilizers  as  i'm  not  so  good  with  chemistry  to  make  a  DIY  one  
 so  please  do  help  me  out  with  the  ferts  

and  please  do  suggest  a  few  plants  for  my  scape  as  i'm  not  able  decide  them  on  my  own  

And  i  just  put  on  the  lights  for  only  around  6hours  in  the  evening  from  5  to  11
 and  CO2  right  now  its  at  2BPS
nbj12345
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:03 pm Post subject: Re: My first Planted tank.....Help in Making it Better...! Reply with quote

Guys  please  do  help  me  in  making  DIY  fertz  ,  

like  from  where  i  can  buy  the  required  chemicals  in  Bangalore
 and  dosing  procedure
nbj12345
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:08 pm Post subject: Re: My first Planted tank.....Help in Making it Better...! Reply with quote

One  more  problem  is  that  ,the  golden  algae  eaters  are  ruining  my  scape  ,  you  can  see  that  in  my  1st  pic  the  scape  was  high  in  height  near  the  rocks  and  lower  towards  the  front
 but  these  algae  eaters  are  like  making  my  scape  flat  as  they  are  like  levelling  out  a  mountain   Chuckle  

please  suggest  any  solutions  for  this  problem  and  help  me  in  retaining  my  scape  as  desired
Athreyan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:47 pm Post subject: Re: My first Planted tank.....Help in Making it Better...! Reply with quote

The  duration  of  your  lights  is  only  the  second  consideration.  The  first  is  the  amount  of  light  given  to  the  tank.  if  you  give  high  light,  no  matter  how  short  a  time,  you  will  have  algae  issues.  (Of  course  this  takes  into  consideration  other  factors  also)  So  reduce  your  lighting.
 Your  choice  of  plants  seems  OK.  Just  plant  more  of  the  same.  Dwarf  hair  grass  will  grow  into  a  beautiful  lawn  in  due  course.  Just  that  you  have  plant  much  more  of  it  for  your  scape  to  look  lush.

I'm  not  sure  how  medication  affects  plant  health  so  I  will  not  comment  on  that.

As  for  your  problem  with  the  slope;  this  is  an  inherent  problem  with  any  sloping  scape.  The  soil  will  always  tend  to  slide  and  even  out,  especially  bare  substrate  without  plants.  Your  fish  may  not  be  the  culprit.  It  could  just  be  your  water  flow.  People  solve  this  problem  by  inserting  plastic  pieces  into  the  substrate  to  act  like  barriers.  I  personally  have  never  done  a  sloping  soil  setup.  the  other  way  around  this  is  to  keep  plants  of  different  heights  in  a  way  that  gives  the  impression  of  a  slope.
nbj12345
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:53 pm Post subject: Re: My first Planted tank.....Help in Making it Better...! Reply with quote

@Athreyan

Thanks  for  the  suggestions

I'm  going  out  today  to  buy  some  more  hair  grass  and  other  plants
 i'll  look  for  36W  PLL  light  for  replacing  the  current  55W  one

@ALL

Please
 do  help  me  with  the  Fertz  please
 and  please  do  suggest  some  shrimps  except  RCS  for  my  tank  as  someone  said  RCS  are  not  good  for  algae  clean  up
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:41 pm Post subject: Re: My first Planted tank.....Help in Making it Better...! Reply with quote

Athreyan  has  some  good  suggestions.  Id  just  like  to  reiterate  and  make  some  suggestions

Increase  your  CO2  and  start  adding  liquid  ferts.  This  is  the  main  reason  your  plants  arent  doing  well.

Very  high  lighting.  I  dont  think  you  can  add  a36W  PLL  in  a  55W  holder.  Instead  what  you  can  do  is  raise  your  light  fitting  by  4-5  inches  from  current  position.

Get  rid  of  the  SAE.

Filtration  and  flow  :  No  idea  waht  the  size  and  flow  rate  of  your  HOB  is  but  good  flow  is  necessary  in  a  planted  tank  to  evenly  distribute  CO2  and  ferts  all  over  the  tank.  Ideally  it  should  be  rated  at  10x  tank  volume.  I  would  suggest  getting  a  small  3-400  lph  powerhead  and  adding  it  to  your  tank.  FAce  it  blowing  across  the  diffuser  so  that  the  bubbles  are  carried  and  mixed  better  with  your  water
Athreyan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:44 pm Post subject: Re: My first Planted tank.....Help in Making it Better...! Reply with quote

I  suggest  the  Estimative  Index  (EI)  method  of  dosing  for  you  as  you  have  a  high  tech  setup.

I'll  give  you  my  recipe.  Also  look  up  some  other  threads  for  more  info.  Please  google  'Chuck  Gadd's  Planted  Aquarium  Calculator',  download  it  &  find  a  suitable  dosing  schedule  for  yourself.

RECIPE:
 Potassium  Dihydrogen  Orthophosphate  (KH2SO4)  -  2  tsp
 Potassium  Nitrate  (KNO3)  -  6  tsp
 Magnesium  Sulphate  (Epsom  salt)  (MgSO4.7H2O)  -  12  tsp

Mix  these  salts  together  in  500ml  of  bottled  water.  Remember  to  boil  &  cool  the  water  before  mixing  the  salts.  Dissolve  the  salts  in  the  water  completely.  This  should  make  up  your  Macro-fertilizer  mix.

IME/O  you  can  dose  about  6ml  on  three  days  of  the  week  with  a  50%  weekly  water  change.  Your  first  dosing  of  the  week  should  be  immediately  after  the  water  change.  you  can  dose  macros  when  you  switch  on  the  lights  in  the  morning.

The  above  dosing  is  my  estimate  for  your  tank  (AFTER  it  has  been  planted  heavily).  But  please  do  some  research  on  what  would  be  comfortable  for  you.

for  Micro-nutrient  mix,  you  can  use  either  a  pre  mixed  product  like  JBL  Ferropol,  Seachem  trace  or  mix  your  own  using  some  appropriate  fertilizer.  I've  used  ferropol  with  decent  results.  But  now  I'm  on  the  lookout  for  some  fertilizer  that  I  can  mix  on  my  own.  Will  update  you  once  I  find  something  compatible.  There  are  many  threads  in  this  forum  that  suggest  the  use  of  Microsol-B  (a  product  of  Vardhaman  Fertilizers).  I  have  not  used  this,  so  I  cannot  comment  on  its  efficacy.  Its  impossible  to  find  it  in  Chennai!  But  lately  many  people  have  also  commented  on  how  Microsol-B  is  'not  very  efficient'.

sourcing  these  materials  will  have  to  be  guided  by  some  local  aquarists.

PS:  buy  lots  of  hair  grass!   Drinking
Athreyan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:50 pm Post subject: Re: My first Planted tank.....Help in Making it Better...! Reply with quote

+1  Mortis...
 Also,  just  noticed  your  photo  period.  you  say  it  is  5  to  11  pm.  That  is  not  very  conducive  timing.  Ideally  the  light  must  come  on  during  the  day  time  &  be  shut  off  in  the  evening.  It  must  mimic  the  natural  light  period  (daytime  Cheer Up  )
nbj12345
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:28 am Post subject: Re: My first Planted tank.....Help in Making it Better...! Reply with quote

@Mortis  

Thanks  Mortis  

and  for  the  powerhead  can  i  use  only  the  upper  part  of  my  internal  filter  which  i  had  in  my  non  planted  setup

and  BTW  my  current  HOB  has  a  flow  rate  of  250L/h
nbj12345
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:38 am Post subject: Re: My first Planted tank.....Help in Making it Better...! Reply with quote

@Athreyan

Thanks  for  the  help  with  fertz
 will  surely  try  it  out  ,  firstly  i  have  to  find  out  from  where  i  can  source  the  required  salts

but  until  then  please  do  suggest  a  good  off  the  shelf  fertz  so  that  my  plants  won't  completely  go  down  by  the  time  i  prepare  my  DIY  fertz

and  btw   Athreyan  ,Had  been  to  buy  some  more  hair  grass,  didn't  get  it  ,  but  i  got  my  hands  on  a  nice  carpet  of  HC,  so  now  i  have  added  the  HC  carpet  for  the  fore  ground
 Is  it  fine...?

Last edited by nbj12345 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquascaping All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: