174. Guest
175. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,755

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Indian Wildlife (protection) Act 1972 & fishes
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Indian Wildlife (protection) Act 1972 & fishes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Native Indian Fishes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:29 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

laluprasad  wrote:                
C'mon  Madan,  i  think  you  mistook  my  word  'license'.  What  i  meant  was,  the  listed  out  act  being  an  official  one  /  or  from  an  official  source,  could  that  be  practically  used  as  a  bullet  proof  jacket??

Madan  is  Bang-On  AFA  the  legal  procedures  are  involved.  Its  a  pity  none  of  the  IAHians  are  Ministers.  Chuckle                

Hi  Lalu  it  was  not  directed  to  you  or  the  word  license  in  the  context  you  used.  Yes  the  list  is  from  an  official  source,  Sandeep  has  taken  the  pains,  but  there  are  a  lot  of  grey  areas  we  don't  know  about  and  have  no  resouce  to  be  absolutely  sure.  IMO  yes  it  can  be  used  as  a  bullet  proof  jacket,  but  the  final  decision  cannot  be  based  only  on  my  opinion  or  that  expressed  in  the  forum.  We  need  clear  cut  explanations.  Let's  work  on  that,  is  what  I  would  like.
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:10 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

At  last  I  found  a  definition  of  Live  Rock  -  "The  rubble  collected  from  sea  bed  due  to  past  storms,  made  up  of  broken  off  pieces  of  coral  long  dead  due  to  natural  causes,  colonised  and  invaded  by  many  many  forms  of  life.  Live  rock  does  not  involve  the  harvesting  and  sacrifice  of  large  living  colonies  of  hard  coral."

It  should  be  responsibly  collected  by  hand,  and  not  by  dynamiting,  dredging  and  mechanical  means  often  used  to  gather  large  volumes  of  coral  from  a  reef  for  road  building  and  construction.

In  Tuticorin  I  have  seen  people  building  huts  with  live  rock  collected  from  the  sea!

Aquascapes  is  bang  on  asking  you  not  to  buy  live  rock  that  looks  freshly  broken  off.
pironya
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:57 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Building  huts  with  LR?Thats  a  new  kind  of  consturction  material  to  me...never  seen  it  before..must  be  cool  but  smelly  to  live  in  such  a  hut
nytyn
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:34 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

As  far  as  I  know,  collection  and  trading  of  Live  Rock  and  coral  sand  in  India,  is  totally  an  under  the  table  affair.

I  know  of  people  who  have  been  jailed  in  Tuticorin  for  collection  and  trading  of  coral  sand,  and  people  who  have  had  problems  collecting  Live  rock  in  Rameshwaram.

I  have  heard  Amity  Aquatech  sells  Live  rock  with  a  bill,  but  they  cost  a  bomb.  I  dont  know  the  exact  legalities  though.

I  have  myself  got  some  live  rock  and  coral  sand  for  my  personal  use,  and  for  a  few  friends,  and  these  were  my  findings  then.

And  about  importing  livestock,  this  is  what  I  found  out  when  I  wanted  to  import  fish.  You  would  need  a  Import  Export  License,  and  a  code[IE  CODE],  that  can  be  gotten  from  the  Director  General  of  Foriegn  Trade.  You  would  need  special  permission  from  the  Chief  Wildlife  Warden  for  all  livestock  that  does  not  feature  under  Pets[and  unfortunately  fish  dont  fall  under  Pets].  

Its  relatively  easier  if  you  want  to  bring  in  something  that  can  be  proved  that  its  captive  bred.  TO  my  knowledge  the  ONLY  fish  that  can  be  proved  to  be  captive  bred,  are  Arowana  with  papers,  and  discus  from  Wayne,  as  both  of  these  come  with  proper  certificates.

All  said  and  done,  its  a  pain  to  go  through  all  this,  as  Madan  said,  unless,  you  want  to  import  and  sell  legally,  and  make  big  money.  Again,  the  legalities  apply  for  importing  for  personal  use  only,  as  far  as  I  know.  Trading  in  them  brings  into  the  pictures  other  clauses  as  well,  probably.

Its  a  lot  easier  to  get  hold  of  a  carrier,  who  brings  in  some  fish,  and  buy  it  from  him!
pironya
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:08 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

I  think  the  authorities  have  a  problem  with  LR  and  coral  sand  collection  in  Tuticorin  and  Rameshwaram  because  the  entire  area  comes  under  the  Gulf  of  Mannar  which  is  a  wildlife  reserve  or  something  of  that  sort...I  may  be  wrong

Does  LR  and  coral  sand  colection  have  the  same  risks  in  other  parts  of  India  too?
sundar
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:43 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  Guys

As  Madanji  rightly  mentioned  the  Importaion  terms  in  short,  but  in  reality
 it  is  time  consuming  and  you  have  to  comply  with  Allied  Acts,  apart  from
 Foreign  Trade(Development  and  Regulations)  Act  1992  &  Foreign  Trade  Policy  Viz:

Live  stock  Importation  Act,  1898
 C  I  T  E  S-  (Convention  of  International  Trade  in  Endangered  Species  of  wild  Fauna  and  Flora)
 Environment  (Protection)  Act,  1986  and  rules,  1986.
 After  you  apply  for  a  Specific  Licence,  it  will  be  Placed  before  a  committe
 all  allied  Act  will  be  Dicussed  and  the  required  Notification  will  be  put  as  Condtion  to  the  Licence  and  It  has  to  be  Complied  with.  Thinking  that  if  you  have  to  take  a  Import  Clearance  Permit  as  a  Condition,  you  have  to  Apply  for  the  same  and  it  Involves  Expenditure  under  the  Table.  Summing  up  all  together  The  Importaion  become  very  Expensive  and  it  will  cost  Twice  or  thrice  to  the  Thing  what  is  available  presently.

Regards
 Sundar
iggy
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:04 am Post subject: Re: Indian Wildlife (protection) Act 1972 & fishes Reply with quote

sandeepraghuvanshi  wrote:                
I  have  recently  gone  through  this  act  and  was  surprised  to  hear  that  none  of  our  native  freshwater  fishes  are  protected  in  any  way.
 I  don't  think  this  is  a  very  desirable  position.

As  far  as  I  have  heard,  99%  of  freshwater  fish,  even  tiddlers,  are  caught  for  eating  (article  in  Practical  Fishkeeping  UK,  a  few  months  ago).  
 How  are  you  going  to  stop  local  people  catching  fish  to  eat?

Kind  regards,
 Iggy
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:22 am Post subject: Re: Indian Wildlife (protection) Act 1972 & fishes Reply with quote

iggy  wrote:                

As  far  as  I  have  heard,  99%  of  freshwater  fish,  even  tiddlers,  are  caught  for  eating  (article  in  Practical  Fishkeeping  UK,  a  few  months  ago).  
 How  are  you  going  to  stop  local  people  catching  fish  to  eat?
 Kind  regards,
 Iggy                

If  humans  only  catch  what  they  need  to  eat,  the  wildlife  would  not  be  in  present  situation.  Very Happy  
 Fishing  with  dynamites,  poisioning  kills  indiscrminately
 Also  it  is  not  that  such  bans  are  not  enforced  in  India  and  implemented.
 Few  years  back  I  was  posted  in  Kinnaur  district  of  Himachal  Pradesh.  
 Due  to  unkown  reasons  HP  government  is  very  concerned  about  welfare  of  state  in  many  ways.
 Every  year  they  give  out  licenses  for  fishing  period,  and  fishing  in  banned  during  spwaning  period  (which  is  this  period)
 The  period  of  ban  enforced  very  strictly,  I  have  personally  seen  them  implementing  these  bans.
 They  have  enrolled  help  of  local  guys  in  implementing  this  ban,  locals  have  been  educated  that  a  ban  on  fishing  during  spawning  period  helps  increase  in  yield  of  fish  in  fishing  season.
 We  used  to  have  village  heads  coming  to  out  office  and  asking  us  not  to  harm  the  babies  of  fishes.
 This  is  one  government  which  is  responsive  to  the  envoirnment.
 Even  website  of  HP  fishes  is  very  informative  and  carries  information  on  fishing  &  bans.
 Just  hope  we  get  more  governmnets  to  do  the  same.
 Check  out  their  website.  It  is  a  eyeopener.
 http://himachal.nic.in/fisheries/welcome.htm
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:53 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Quote:                
If  humans  only  catch  what  they  need  to  eat,  the  wildlife  would  not  be  in  present  situation.    

GOI  has  already  put  in  a  system  to  provide  the  locals  with  alternatives.

It  is  a  huge  affair  and  needs  immense  resources.

Please  try  to  understand,  the  population  of  locals  along  the  Indian  sea  coast  who  depend  on  marine  livestock  for  food  and  living  is  many  times  the  population  of  many  individual  developed  countries.

This  is  a  prospect  that  many  developed  nations  will  find  daunting.

We  have  take  and  understand  India  as  a  whole,  it's  our  population  that's  a  problem.  1/5th  the  world's  population  in  one  country,  every  development  programme  is  severely  stretched.  If  we  were  a  country  of  100  million  people  and  with  the  same  resources,  it  will  be  putting  it  mildly  if  I  say,  things  will  be  different.
iggy
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:56 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

My  main  concern  in  the  first  instance  is  for  fish  fry.
 Here  are  two  examples  to  cause  utter  despair.

Pete  Cottle  in  his  article  "An  Indian  Adventure"  in  the  May  2006  issue  of  Practical  Fishkeeping  reports  "Thousands  of  fry  about  4  to  6  weeks  old  were  being  seine-netted  for  the  cooking  pot"  by  four  fishermen  on  the  Santosh  River  at  Gholani  River  Camp  in  January  2006.    
 I  expect  that  this  type  of  fishing  is  being  done  every  day  up  and  down  the  country  in  all  the  rivers  and  is  seriously  depleting  fresh  water  fish  stocks  in  India.

In  a  National  Geographic  television  programme  last  week  on  Indian  fishing  communities  on  the  sea  coast  of  Bengal,  fine  seine  nets  were  being  used  to  catch  shrimp  babies  and  all  the  other  small  fish  fry  near  the  beach.    The  shrimp  baies  were  carefully  picked  out  from  a  collander  of  sea  water  for  sale  to  shrimp  farms,  while  the  rest  of  the  marine  fish  fry  in  the  collander  were  just  dumped  on  the  sand  to  die,  rather  than  returned  to  the  sea  5  metres  away!

What  hope  is  there  for  fish  in  India  with  such  sad  events  being  perpetrated  by  millions  of  people  every  single  day  ?

The  oranmental  fish  trade  probably  takes  less  than  0.1%  of  all  the  fish  caught  in  India.    In  spite  of  that,  every  fish  hobbyist  should  be  breeding  fish,  which  they  can  swap  or  trade  at  their  local  fish  store  or  fish  club.    India  has  the  perfect  weather  for  fish  breeding.    All  one  needs  are  a  few  tanks  in  the  garden,  which  will  soon  fill  up  with  natural  live  food  (mosquito  larvae,  daphnia,  etc)  for  the  fish  to  enjoy.    Here  in  London,  I  have  got  guppies  already  breeding  outside.    I  am  also  trying  golden  panchax  from  India,  white  cloud  mountain  minnows  and  killifish  Notho  rachovii  having  bought  50  eggs  from  a  dealer  in  Thailand.    I  am  also  waiting  for  some  Aphanius  mento  eggs  from  Herman  Meeus.

Fish  breeding  is  fun  and  exhilirating!    Give  it  a  go.  Save  some  Indian  fish  today!

Good  luck,
 Iggy
joyban

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:45 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  Iggy,

I  agree  with  you  110%  but  what  are  we  doing  about  it  ourselves  or  as  a  community  (IAH  ?)  ...that  is  the  sad  part,  can  we  as  individuals  make  a  difference  or  can  we  make  a  difference  as  a  community  ?

This  choice  is  up  to  us  .....

Sujoy

(Together  we  can  make  a  difference)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:17 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Quote:                
I  agree  with  you  110%  but  what  are  we  doing  about  it  ourselves  or  as  a  community  (IAH  ?)  ...that  is  the  sad  part,  can  we  as  individuals  make  a  difference  or  can  we  make  a  difference  as  a  community  ?                

Madan,  I  totally  agree  with  sujoy  -  I  think  we  should  unite  and  do  something  as  an  organisation  -  if  that  is  an  issue  on  IAH  than  let's  associate  as  another  body  and  put  our  opinion  forward  -  God  knows  one  day  we  might  make  a  difference!
 Please  count  me  in!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:25 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Come  out  with  a  concrete  programme  and  everyone  will  join  in.  Why  does  each  individual  wait  for  some  one  else  on  IAH  to  come  out  with  an  action  plan  and  then  lament  that  IAH  is  doing  nothing.

I  am  at  a  loss  how  to  go  about  it.  Other  than  creating  awareness  among  members  there  is  little  a  web  based  portal  can  do.

The  action  needs  to  be  taken  to  the  streets,  where  it  will  get  maximum  exposure.

Come  up  with  an  action  plan  and  everyone  will  join  in.
joyban

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:48 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Yes  we  can  come  up  with  an  action  plan..

1.  Let  us  first  identify  what  is  going  wrong  for  Sea  Water  Fishes  &  For  Fresh  Water  Fishes

2.  Collaborate  with  Government  Institutes  /  NGO's  to  develop  methods  and  ways  to  save  the  endangered  fishes.

4.  Find  a  method  to  sustain  the  fishes  in  the  wild.

5.  Find  solution  for  the  Economical  problems  involved  (local  population  will  exploit  fish  habitat  for  living  )

6.  Look  a  Local  Conservation  at  local  levels

7.  Start  a  self  breeding  programme

8.  Look  for  Help  from  WWF  and  Ministry  Of  Env.

9.  Build  up  Case  Studies

All  of  this  requires  an  effort,  other  than  your  professional  &  personal  life,  but  if  we  can  have  some  guidelines  etc  or  ideas  like  these  which  can  later  be  translated  into  action  camps..  etc  we  can  make  a  difference.

I  for  myself  can  say  if  we  have  to  do  this  the  first  thing  we  need  is  a  comprehensive  database  &  data  collection.  Then  we  need  to  Identify  the  most  endangered  ones.  

For  example  see  the  ANGFA  Database  
 http://db.angfa.org.au/

Detail  Database
 http://db.angfa.org.au/display.php?tbl=fish&id=312  

Example  of  Project  done  by  ANGFA
 Lake  Wanam  Management  Project  -  http://www.angfa.org.au/pro-wan.html

For  example  many  of  us  in  IAH  may  not  be  even  aware  of  all  the  Indian  Native  Fishes  that  are  on  the  IUCN  Redlist.  

For  Red  List  See:-
 http://www.redlist.org

Or  be  aware  that  that  Indian  blind  catfish  is  Vulnerable
 See:-  http://www.fishbase.org/Country/CountrySpeciesSummary.cfm?Country=India&Genus=Horaglanis&Species=krishnai

Small  List  Of  Threatened  Fishes  in  India
 http://www.fishbase.org/Country/CountryResultList.cfm?requesttimeout=9999&Country=356&group=threatened

Aquarium  Fishes  Of  India

http://www.fishbase.org/Country/CountryAquariumList.cfm?country=356&SortBy=status

Out  of  this  many  of  the  Aquarium  Demand  met  by  mainly  on  capture  

Article  on  Fishes  Of  Manipur:-

http://www.manipuronline.com/Features/January2002/manipurfish25.htm

Threatened  Fishes  of  India  and  Their  Conservation/A.G.K.  Menon.  Kolkata,    Zoological  Survey  of  India,  2004,  viii,  170  p.,  (pbk).  ISBN  81-8171-023-1.
 https://www.vedamsbooks.com/no34859.htm

These  points  are  just  the  beginning,  I  hope  other  members  will  contribute  and  we  can  soon  have  an  action  plan,  then  we  can  form  regional  groups,  and  have  point  based  agenda  and  let  us  see  what  results  we  can  get.

We  can  at  least  start  somewhere..  
 ;-)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:51 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Quote:                
Come  out  with  a  concrete  programme  and  everyone  will  join  in.  Why  does  each  individual  wait  for  some  one  else  on  IAH  to  come  out  with  an  action  plan  and  then  lament  that  IAH  is  doing  nothing.                  

I  never  said  anything  about  IAH  doing  nothing  Sad  
 What  I'm  trying  to  say  is  someone  like  you  if  takes  the  initiative  I'm  sure  many  others  will  follow  -  I'm  not  as  popular  as  you  are!  Smile  
 well,  the  concrete  plan  is  'Eco-tourism'  -  it  has  worked  wonders  even  in  Japan  where  the  seas  are  exploited  the  most!  (and  the  whales  and  sharks  are  still  being  slautered  mercylessly    Sad  )

Quote:                
I  am  at  a  loss  how  to  go  about  it.  Other  than  creating  awareness  among  members  there  is  little  a  web  based  portal  can  do.                

that  is  why  I  said  -  

Quote:                
if  that  is  an  issue  on  IAH  than  let's  associate  as  another  body  and  put  our  opinion  forward                

let  this  not  affect  the  working  of  IAH  and  make  an  organisation  which  will  be  a  baby  born  on  IAH!
 @Sujoy,

Quote:                
1.  Let  us  first  identify  what  is  going  wrong  for  Sea  Water  Fishes  &  For  Fresh  Water  Fishes                  

first  let  us  unite!  The  senior  IAH  members  and  advanced  hobbyists  to  form  a  regulatory  body.

Quote:                
2.  Collaborate  with  Government  Institutes  /  NGO's  to  develop  methods  and  ways  to  save  the  endangered  fishes.                

for  that  lets  first  analyse  which  bio-topes  and  what  fish  needs  the  most  help.  Make  an  action  plan  for  the  same  and  than  have  something  concrete  to  approach  the  Govt.  authorities  (I'm  sure  they  will  initially  not  like  anyone  interfearing)

Quote:                
5.  Find  solution  for  the  Economical  problems  involved  (local  population  will  exploit  fish  habitat  for  living  )                  

that  is  where  eco-tourism  can  be  promoted!

Quote:                
All  of  this  requires  an  effort,  other  than  your  professional  &  personal  life,  but  if  we  can  have  some  guidelines  etc  or  ideas  like  these  which  can  later  be  translated  into  action  camps..  etc  we  can  make  a  difference.                

I  fully  agree!
 (Together  we  can  make  a  difference)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Native Indian Fishes All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: