206. Guest
207. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,802

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - My Experiences with Aquarium Lighting for planted tank
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

My Experiences with Aquarium Lighting for planted tank
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> DIY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ravinder
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:06 am Post subject: My Experiences with Aquarium Lighting for planted tank Reply with quote

I  will  describe  about  my  experiences  about  the  light  on  my  planted  aquarium  with  simple  and  inexpensive  light  units  avilable  in  the  market  in  the  days  to  come.  Adiing  two  snaps  here.
 Ravinder  Singh
 Jaipur

Last edited by Ravinder on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
jabba
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:58 am Post subject: Re: My Experiences with Aquarium Lighting for planted tank Reply with quote

So  we  will  eagerly  wait  for  that  day  to  come.......
radjanair
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:13 am Post subject: Re: My Experiences with Aquarium Lighting for planted tank Reply with quote

Do  not  postpone   please.
keluthi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:09 pm Post subject: Re: My Experiences with Aquarium Lighting for planted tank Reply with quote

How  long  will  you  keep  us  waiting..??
Ravinder
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:03 pm Post subject: Re: My Experiences with Aquarium Lighting for planted tank Reply with quote

Hello  Friends,  
 I  am  extremely  sorry  for  the  delay  in  this  post.
 I  am  a  Civil  Engineer  by  profession.  Electronics  fascinate  me  and  doing  some  things  in  it  comes  in  my  hobbies.  And  I  love  Physics.
 I  kept  an  Aquarium  at  the  age  of  10,  when  I  was  in  Dehra  Dun  (Uttarakhand).  I  used  to  collect  fishes  in  rainy  season  from  a  non-perennial  river  called  "Bindal"  at  that  time;  That  River  is  vanished  now  and  has  become  a  Nalah  carrying  the  sewage  of  the  town.  After  many  years  after  I  got  stable  and  got  established  in  Jaipur,  I  was  again  inspired  to  start  this  hobby  in  2006  by  one  of  my  expert  “gardener  and  aquarist”  friend  “Aseem  Sharma",  when  I  got  an  opportunity  to  see  his  beautiful  Aquariums  in  Kota,  Rajasthan.  
 I  have  one  24”X12”X15”  planted  tank  and  two  small  tanks  of  15”X9”X12”  (one  of  them  is  planted).  
 I  wanted  and  tried  to  pursue  this  hobby  with  as  minimum  expenditure  as  possible,  and  I  worked  on  arrangement  of  LED  Lights  and  use  of  PMDD  fertilizers  and  found  them  quite  useful.  My  other  objective  is  to  increase  the  chances  of  survival  of  fish.  I  have  a  community  tank  with  Blue  Gauramies,  Dwarf  Gaurami,  Angels,  Coridoras,  Kribensis,  Pleco,  Zebra  danio  and  Black  Skirted  Tetras  (It  is  over  stocked).  I  witnessed  breeding  of  Kribensis  recently  in  my  planted  Aquarium  and  it  gave  me  an  immense  pleasure.  .  My  plants  are  in  the  pots  and  I  am  free  to  displace  them  vertically  or  horizontally  as  required,  sometimes  slightly  closer  to  the  water  surface  or  deeper.  I  have  three  types  of  Cryptocorenes  and  one  Amazon  Sword  in  different  pots.  When  I  potted  Amazon  Sword  last  time  I  used  some  garden  soil  (1”)  in  the  pot  at  its  base,  used  some  vermiculite  over  it  and  topped  it  with  grit,  it  is  growing  vigorously  (One  leaf  per  week),  and  at  present  I  am  completely  free  from  the  algae  for  the  first  time.  I  am  also  feeding  the  fertilisers  prepared  at  home,  and  not  using  Co2  as  yet
 At  present  I  am  using  about  34  Watts  of  light  on  my  80  litre  tank  with  0.23  sqm  of  surface  area,  and  my  plants  are  growing  successfully.  
 I  am  using  this  combination  at  present:  
 1) 1  No.  T5  Fluorescent  Tube,  Warm  Day  Light,  24"  long,  10Watts  
 2) 4  No.  30  LED  Local  Lamps,  RED,  Directing  vertically  downwards  over  Water  about  4"  apart,  4X3=12  Watts  
 3) 2  No.  3LED  Luxeon  lamps,  Blue,  Directing  Horizontally  (They  are  quite  bright),  2X3=6Watts
 4) 1  No.  50LED  White  Lamp,  Directing  vertically  downwards  over  Water,  1X6=  6  Watts  

As  per  my  present  knowledge  Fl.  Light,  CFLs  and  White  LEDs  do  have  some  light  of  Blue  and  Red  Spectrum  Which  is  desirable  for  plants  (Photo-synthetically  Active  Radiation)  but  they  also  have  some  undesirable  light  of  Green  and  Yellow  spectrum  for  which  human  eye  is  more  sensitive  and  it  is  required  to  visualise  the  things  in  a  better  way.  My  canopy  is  of  Wooden  Board  with  white  sun  mica  inside  so  I  could  fix  required  number  of  holders  to  place  these  lights.  These  lights  are  about  25  cm  above  water  level,  and  I  use  metallic  films  over  glass  outside  between  water  surface  and  canopy  (I  call  it  “skirting”  for  my  use)   to  reduce  the  loss  of  light  by  reflection  over  the  water  surface  (Water  surface  is  reflective  as  a  mirror.  It  is  said  once  the  light  is  entered  in  the  water  column  it  travels  in  water  similar  to  the  travel  of  light  in  the  optical  fibre  and  the  losses  are  quite  nominal.)
 I  fixed  a  few  holders  as  I  mentioned  in  my  wooden  canopy  and  used  Red  and  Blue  Indian  and  Chinese  LED  light  units  in  my  canopy  along  with  a  T5  Warm  day  light  Tube.  The  use  of  T5  suppresses  the  unwanted  shades  due  to  LEDs,  it  requires  less  space,  is  cheap  and  is  useful  for  human  eye  to  enjoy  the  aquarium  and  provides  some  of  least  required,  missing  spectrum  and  a  small  amount  of  UV  possibly  to  the  plants,  whereas  the  Red  and  Blue  light  constitute  the  PAR  (Photo-synthetically  Active  Radiation)  light  for  the  plants.  The  blue  LED  lights  are  less  in  number  but  are  brighter  ones  and  they  are  kept  facing  horizontally  for  the  fact  that  the  blue  light  is  least  absorbed  and  can  penetrate  deeper  in  the  water  (even  after  reflection  over  white  sun-mica  of  canopy).  The  red  LED  units  are  more  in  number  and  of  less  power  (I  could  not  get  them  in  high  power  as  yet),  they  are  directionally  vertical  facing  downwards  (Red  spectrum  is  absorbed  more  in  air  and  in  water  and  converts  to  heat  to  some  extent  and  cannot  penetrate  deeper),  they  are  about  4”  apart  with  a  spread  of  about  45  Degrees.  I  am  using  about  34Watts  on  my  76.2X30.48X35  cm  Planted  tank  successfully  in  place  of  about  60Watts  (As  per  2.5  Watts  per  Gallon).  As  per  my  crude  calculation  it  provides  about  2727  LUX  at  surface  level  and  about  1922  LUX  at  plant  level  (I  have  not  measured  it  as   yet,  It  is  a  calculated  estimate  and  there  may  be  variations),   and  this  level  is  Very  Bright  Light.  Usually  it  is  said  that  Red  (2/3)  should  be  more  than  Blue  light  (1/3)  for  the  plants,  but  more  blue  is  pleasing  to  visualise.  
 Light  is  light  whether  it  is  from  a  good  company  bulb  or  from  a  Chinese  bulb  the  only  difference  is  in  their  specifications  and  durability  and  my  experience  is,  that  there  are  some  durable  Chinese  light  units  also.  
 My  experiment  seems  to  be  successful  and  my  plants  are  growing  better  than  ever  with  about  half  of  the  power  consumption.  This  setup  does  not  need  any  external  driver  circuit;  each  unit  has  its  own  driver  in  it.  It  works  nicely  and  is  very  flexible;  you  can  change  the  things  for  better  options.  The  only  drawback  is  that  it  cannot  be  dimmed.  I  use  a  timer  to  on  and  off  the  lights.
 With  Regards,
 Ravinder  Singh,
 Jaipur

Last edited by Ravinder on Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:45 am; edited 2 times in total
bettaji
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:00 am Post subject: Re: My Experiences with Aquarium Lighting for planted tank Reply with quote

Hi  Ravinder,

Fantastic  work  !  Love  the  colour  tone  in  your  tank  !

Regards,
 Jithin
apcmge
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:00 pm Post subject: Re: My Experiences with Aquarium Lighting for planted tank Reply with quote

Hello  Ravinder,

Delighted  to  find  a  fellow  aquarist  of  planted  tanks  ,  in  Jaipur   Cheer  .  I  thought  I  am  the  only  one  here  .

I  am  in  process  of  setting  up  my  tank  after  shifting  from  Mumbai  on  10th  March'  13.

Would  like  to  catch  up  with  you  and  exchange  info  and  experiences.

My  contact  no  is  8696444409
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:10 pm Post subject: Re: My Experiences with Aquarium Lighting for planted tank Reply with quote

THIS  IS  FANTASTIC-  Clapping   Clapping   Clapping   Clapping  .  

I  have  learnt  the  exact  need  of  coloured  lights  today.  I  have  been  asking  many  time  why  people  use  coloured  lights,  but  I  always  got  mixed  answers.  Somehow  could  not  put  faith  on  it.  I  knew  that  1  day  IAH  will  show  me  the  right  way.  

We  Indians  have  it  in  us  Thumb Up  ,  believe  it  or  not,  only  that  we  have  to  expose  ourselves  and  ignore  the  criticism.  Cheer  

THANK  YOU  SIR   for  sharing  of  correct  knowledge.  Its  the  most  humble  approach,  but  so  accurate  and  worth  while.

Once  in  3  years  a  genius  on  IAH  ALWAYS  DOES  COME-  and  gives  good  knowledge.  

Thats  why  I  have  only  registered  at  TPT  other  than  IAH  last  week.

Please  continue  your  project  and  hope  you  can  show  us  1  for  a  5  ft  tank.

God  bless   Smile
Ravinder
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:33 pm Post subject: Re: My Experiences with Aquarium Lighting for planted tank Reply with quote

Thanks  garothmaan,
 For  the  words  of  appreciation.  My  only  motive  was  to  share  what  I  learnt  and  tested.  
 Thanks  once  again.
 Ravinder  Singh
 Jaipur
Deepak267
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:07 am Post subject: Re: My Experiences with Aquarium Lighting for planted tank Reply with quote

quite  a  number  of  lights...  how  is  your  plant  growth..
Ravinder
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:29 am Post subject: Re: My Experiences with Aquarium Lighting for planted tank Reply with quote

I  had  reduced  the  light  without  any  harm  to  my  plants.  Now  I  have  only  T5  light  and  2  Blue  LEDs  on  the  side,  as  I  wanted  to  reduce  the  growth  rate  of  the  plants,  I  incresed  the  depth  of  Amazon  Sword  and  reduced  the  depth  of  my  Cryptocorene  to  alter  their  rate  of  growth  and  it  gave  me  good  results.
 I  have  also  reduced  4  of  my  biggest  fishes,  The  Blue  Gauramies  (3  Nos.)  and  Pleco  (1  No.)  to  reduce  the  risk  factor  in  my  Aquarium.  You  can  see  my  plants  in  attached  snaps  and  give  me  your  expert  comment  please.

Ravinder  Singh
 Jaipur
superbsite
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:30 am Post subject: Re: My Experiences with Aquarium Lighting for planted tank Reply with quote

Thanks  for  explaining  this  Ravinder
jabba
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:51 pm Post subject: Re: My Experiences with Aquarium Lighting for planted tank Reply with quote

Ravinder  nice  one  sir.

Can  you  put  some  High  light  plants  like  HC  or  glosso.  Since  Now  I  see  only  crypts  and  amazon  swords  in  the  tank  which  needs  very  less  light.  So  it  will  be  better  if  the  experiment  is  with  plants  which  like  moderate  to  high  light.

Thanks  a  lot  for  sharing
dotfish
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:09 pm Post subject: Re: My Experiences with Aquarium Lighting for planted tank Reply with quote

Nice  explanation  and  details.  Thank  you  so  much
Ravinder
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:41 pm Post subject: Re: My Experiences with Aquarium Lighting for planted tank Reply with quote

Hi  Jabba,
 I  do  not  opt  for  high  light  plants  because  one  have  to  increase  fertiliser  and  Co2  along  with  High  lights.  My  motive  as  I  explained  earlier  is  to  persue  the  hobby  with  minimum  possible  resources.  
 At  least  I  have  not  opted  that  as  yet,  but  most  of  the  people  in  the  hobby  tend  to  be  towards  that  side  so  their  experiences  will  be  usefull.  I  personaly  enjoy  the  slow  but  healthy  growth  of  plants  and  I  am  striving  for  that.
 Thank  You  for  the  suggestion.

With  Regards
 Ravinder  Singh
 Jaipur
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  DIY All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: