202. Guest
203. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,858

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Bucephalandra Tank - an attempt to the Journal
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Bucephalandra Tank - an attempt to the Journal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaival
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:30 am Post subject: Bucephalandra Tank - an attempt to the Journal Reply with quote

Greetings,  
            Once  I  saw  this  beautiful  plant  online  in  some  tank  online  and  looking  at  it  I  made  up  my  mind  that  I  have  to  get  this  plant,  with  lots  of  efforts  and  rejections  (due  to  budget  issue):  D  I  finally  got  hold  of  few  of  the  plants  to  start  my  collection  with.  
 Not  much  info  is  available  regarding  this  plant  online  so  I  thought  to  collect  all  the  pieces  of  info  that  is  available  online  and  which  came  through  my  notice  and  I  made  a  small  summary  type  of  note  on  this  beauties.  

To  start  with  some  of  the  information  I  gathered
 What  are  bucephalandras  ?
 (Sources:  Wikipedia,  Google  and  lots  of  international  forums)

The  type  of  wetland  plants  from  flowering  plants  in  Araceae  family,  Bucephalandra  is  adapted  slow  water  moving  streams  and  grows  on  wetlands  and  on  rocks/woods  in  the  country  of  origin  Borneo.  During  the  rainy  season  the  water  level  in  the  stream  or  river  is  high  that  makes  this  plant  grow  submerged  for  few  months.  And  this  is  the  reason  this  plant  settles  in  the  home  aquarium  very  soon  

In  the  appearance  Bucephalandra  are  like  Anubias  a  bit.  Rhizomes  firmly  attach  to  rocks  and  crawl  on  it  (like  anubias).  The  shades  of  Bucephalandra  stems  are  mostly  pink  or  red.  Transit  period  is  what  that  makes  this  plant  stressfull  and  loose  their  color.  They  sometimes  also  loose  their  leaves  if  the  condition  is  changed  extremely,  but  eventually  will  adapt  to  new  conditions.  They  are  extremely  slow  grower  plants,  so  person  with  a  good  patience  is  the  one  who  can  keep  this  plant  successfully.

The  plant  came  into  hobby  some  where  in  late  2005  early  2006,  mostly  traded  under  the  name  of  bucephalandra  sp.  Followed  by  the  color  of  leaves  of  place  collected.  The  plants  are  very  expensive,  because  of  its  rarity  and  no  culturing  but  over  time  will  become  more  affordable.  Because  of  the  demand  in  aquarium  industry  now  this  plant  is  facing  problem  in  wild  and  hence  wild  collection  has  been  limited  so  this  makes  plants  more  expensive.
 The  other  thing  is  you  can  pick  the  rarest  of  the  Crypts,  and  in  nature  you'll  see  huge  colonies  of  them,  entire  areas  just  covered  in  these  plants.  Not  so  with  Bucephalandra,  you  see  one  or  two,  maybe  a  dozen  in  an  area.  So  they're  not  only  rare  to  find  but  you  won't  find  very  many  when  you  do.

Tissue  culture  is  the  only  way  it'll  be  possible  to  service  the  pet  trade,  even  at  the  advanced  hobbyist  level.  I  suspect  there's  more  people  that  want  these  than  there  exists  Bucephalandra  plants  in  the  entire  world.

The  Confusion:-  Those  shiny  spots  on  the  leaves  -  these  are  not  air  bubbles.  This  is  a  characteristic  of  plant  from  the  Araceae  family.  Depending  on  the  varieties  dots  are  densely  or  less  distributed  (for  example  on  a  emerse,  dots  are  less  distributed  .  But  on  first  submerged  leaves  shining  dots  are  more  visible).

PS:  I  am  not  an  expert  nor  I  grow  this  plant  since  years,  this  is  just  a  piece  of  info  that  I  gathered  and  felt  like  sharing.  Sorry  for  any  wrong  data  that  I  might  have  written.  With  time  I  ll  learn  more  and  share  with  you  guys.  

This  is  my  yet  another  attempt  to  make  a  Journal  of  this  plant  and  my  experience,  will  try  to  maintain  and  update  with  pics  on  regular  basis.  

some  of  the  routine  questions  that  might  people  ask  
 1) what  is  your  setup  ?
 i. tank  size:  current  tank  is  12X9X9  (making  another  tank  specially  dedicated  for  this  plant)
 ii. light  :  6  X  3W  chinese  LEDs
 iii. filter  :  a  small  internal  dolphin  filter  
 iv. dosing  :  API  leaf  zone  every  second  day  4-6  drope  and  API  co2  Booster  every  day  2  drops  
 v. temperature  :  26  degree  C
 2) any  special  care?
             not  really  just  feeding  regularly,  a  good  flow  in  the  tank  and  regularly  50%  water  change  when  ever  i  get  time  this  might  be  4-5  times  a  week  

here  are  some  of  my  pictures  to  share.  not  really  good  images  been  long  that  i  have  touched  the  camera  soo  now  bit  free  trying  to  fiddle  with  the  camera  again  

the  Ex-  moss  tank,  all  the  weeping  moss  removed  from  this  tank  and  given  to  friend  as  such  i  was  fed  up  with  it  as  it  was  growing  but  weeping  effect  was  not  there

the  Buce  Tank  FTS,  this  was  the  image  10  mins  later  once  i  changed  everything  (avoid  the  scaping,  this  tank  is  not  scaping  oriented  but  appreciate  the  comment  also  Wink  )  

few  of  the  Buce  images  

one  of  my  favourites,  

My  current  Plant  list  
 Lamandau  -  purple
 Lamandau  -  green  
 Melawi  -  green  
 Sekadau  -  Mini  
 Sekadau  wavy  leaves  
 Sekadau  -  Green  Round  
 Sanggau  -  Round  Tip  
 Sintang  
 Bukit  biru  -  green  
 Lubuk  Hantu  -  Fake  catherineae  
 Lubuk  Hantu  -  Belindae  
 Nanga  Pinoh  -  green
 Nanga  Pinoh  -  blue  
 Melawi  -  Catherineae  

My  Experience  with  Buce  soo  far  
 i  am  keeping  buce  since  a  month  now  and  i  can  say
 1)  they  are  extremely  slow  growing  plants,  but  for  me  i  can  say  depending  on  the  variety  you  can  see  1-2  new  leaf/shoots  every  week  in  favorable  conditions  
 2)  a  good  fertilizer  and  a  good  rock  to  ancor  is  what  they  need  
 3)  along  with  a  decent  flow  in  the  tank  to  keep  of  the  algae  
 4)  good  strong  light  encourages  fast  growth  of  new  leaves  with  beautiful  colors  (i  have  kept  it  in  very  low  light  to  well  lit  aquarium)  
 5)  co2  dosing  also  helps  a  lot  (have  kept  it  in  a  non  co2  and  carbon  dosed  tank  both)
 6)  and  they  are  beautiful,  very  pretty  to  see  the  slow  growth  of  the  plant  with  all  new  colors  from  day  to  day  

My  Future  plan  with  this  plant  
 setting  up  a  good  hi  tank  with  chiller  and  cree  LED  lights  and  then  will  compare  the  plants  growth  rates  and  colors  in  different  setups  

any  links  on  from  where  to  get  more  variety  of  this  plant  will  be  very  helpfull.

thanks  for  reading  any  questions  on  this  plants  are  welcomed  as  i  said  i  am  not  an  expert  but  will  try  to  answer.  Sorry  in  advance  for  any  type  of  wrong  info  given  by  mistake  somewhere  

more  to  follow  soon  Smile
jabba
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:31 am Post subject: Re: Bucephalandra Tank - an attempt to the Journal Reply with quote

Do  you  have  any  algae  issues  when  you  keep  it  under  direct  light.....
 I  think  the  answer  can  be  given   after  couple  of  monce
jaival
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:36 am Post subject: Re: Bucephalandra Tank - an attempt to the Journal Reply with quote

soo  far  i  havent  came  across  any  algae  problem  as  the  light  in  this  tank  is  pretty  mild.
 but  the  photoperiod  is  quite  long  morning  07:30  AM  to  night  10:00  PM  as  i  still  need  to  keep  the  timer  in  this  tank.
mini
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:52 am Post subject: Re: Bucephalandra Tank - an attempt to the Journal Reply with quote

hi  Jaival  

The  light  period  is  too  long  and  initially  you  will  not  find  any  problem  with  algae  but  later  you  will  get  it.try  to  reduce  the  lighting.  Buce  are  very  slow  growing  plants  as  anubias
jaival
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:58 am Post subject: Re: Bucephalandra Tank - an attempt to the Journal Reply with quote

@  Mini  yeah  i  agree  the  period  is  too  long  but  i  am  in  process  of  setting  a  timer  but  no  time  to  get  it.  will  be  done  soon  in  a  day  or  two  Smile
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:23 pm Post subject: Re: Bucephalandra Tank - an attempt to the Journal Reply with quote

Jaival  since  these  guys  spend  parts  of  the  year  above  and  parts  under  water.  I  think  these  guys  would  fare  best  in  a  low-med  light  tank  with  CO2  injection  and  a  decent  level  of  fertilization.  Maybe  a  noonday  burst  in  light  for  an  hour  or  so  would  bring  out  the  best  colour  in  these  plants.  As  you  mentioned  there  isnt  a  lot  of  info  on  these  guys  but  thinking  logically  and  breaking  it  down,  I  would  say  my  conclusions  above  would  work  well

Any  experience  with  liquid  carbon  and  these  guys  ?
jaival
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:38 pm Post subject: Re: Bucephalandra Tank - an attempt to the Journal Reply with quote

Mortis  wrote  (View  Post):                
Jaival  since  these  guys  spend  parts  of  the  year  above  and  parts  under  water.  I  think  these  guys  would  fare  best  in  a  low-med  light  tank  with  CO2  injection  and  a  decent  level  of  fertilization.  Maybe  a  noonday  burst  in  light  for  an  hour  or  so  would  bring  out  the  best  colour  in  these  plants.  As  you  mentioned  there  isnt  a  lot  of  info  on  these  guys  but  thinking  logically  and  breaking  it  down,  I  would  say  my  conclusions  above  would  work  well

Any  experience  with  liquid  carbon  and  these  guys  ?                

yeah  the  light  is  not  that  intense  soo  and  as  i  said  i  will  be  adding  the  timer  soon  may  be  tomorrow  as  i  am  not  in  town  for  4  days  then....  

thanks  for  the  appreciation  Smile  

the  tank  in  which  all  the  plants  are  on  API  carbon  and  soo  far  havent  found  any  issues  using  it.
amchigeli
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:57 am Post subject: Re: Bucephalandra Tank - an attempt to the Journal Reply with quote

bt  are  these  true  aquatic  plants.  i  have  seen  simlar  species  grwing  under  areca  tree  plantations  near  the  watering  canals.

nice  journal  Thumb Up
jaival
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:11 am Post subject: Re: Bucephalandra Tank - an attempt to the Journal Reply with quote

thanks  Smile  

regarding  the  true  nature  of  the  plant  i  think  time  will  tell  once  the  tank  is  matured.  will  keep  the  journal  updated  
 but  have  seen  many  tanks  who  are  housing  this  plants  and  with  the  new  leaves  coming  up  in  the  tank  are  more  pretty  and  intense  in  color  with  more  and  more  dots...  soo  this  makes  me  confident  that  the  plant  is  thriving....  Smile
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:41 am Post subject: Re: Bucephalandra Tank - an attempt to the Journal Reply with quote

Waiting  to  see  the  plants  in  its  own  tank.

I  feel  with  the  lava  rock  attached  to  it,  it  would  be  little  bit  difficult  to  scape  the  tank  with  those  plants.  Preferably  a  smaller  rock  with  the  same  color  of  the  substrate  would  look  nice  when  you  scape  the  tank.

Do  this  plant  has  to  be  kept  in  shade  similarly  like  Anubia?  Anubia  is  a  shade  loving  plant.  Are  these  plants  are  on  the  same  side?
jaival
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:58 am Post subject: Re: Bucephalandra Tank - an attempt to the Journal Reply with quote

josyjames  wrote  (View  Post):                

I  feel  with  the  lava  rock  attached  to  it,  it  would  be  little  bit  difficult  to  scape  the  tank  with  those  plants.  Preferably  a  smaller  rock  with  the  same  color  of  the  substrate  would  look  nice  when  you  scape  the  tank.

Do  this  plant  has  to  be  kept  in  shade  similarly  like  Anubia?  Anubia  is  a  shade  loving  plant.  Are  these  plants  are  on  the  same  side?                

i  am  also  eagerly  waiting  Wink  for  some  un  finished  stuff  to  come  in   Thumb Up  

yeah  can  say  that  this  plant  loves  shade  but  mine  is  under  direct  light  and  new  leaves  are  very  pretty  with  more  intense  colors.  soo  i  think  my  plants  love  direct  mild  light.  will  try  placing  few  plants  under  the  driftwood  and  see  the  difference.
mini
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:05 pm Post subject: Re: Bucephalandra Tank - an attempt to the Journal Reply with quote

josyjames  wrote  (View  Post):                

Shelly  -  As  these  plants  are  slow  grower  and  when  more  light  is  given  to  it  algae  tends  to  grow.Keeping  these  plants  in  shade  is  a  good  idea
jaival
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:05 pm Post subject: Re: Bucephalandra Tank - an attempt to the Journal Reply with quote

@  Mini  thanks  Smile  will  keep  in  mind  when  this  plants  goes  in  their  own  tank
jaival
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:27 pm Post subject: Re: Bucephalandra Tank - an attempt to the Journal Reply with quote

didnt  had  time  to  click  more  pics..  but  the  tank  was  pearling  Smile  
 this  was  shot  yesterday  afternoon

hope  this  continues  and  buce  florish  in  this  tank.  i  am  not  in  town  for  few  days  and  no  one  to  take  care  off  Sad
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: