49. Guest
50. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,825

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Proper curing process for live rock...
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Proper curing process for live rock...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Live Rock and Invertebrates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mits
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:36 pm Post subject: Re: Proper curing process for live rock... Reply with quote

Instead  of  the  cleaner  shrimp  get  fire  shrimps
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:53 pm Post subject: Re: Proper curing process for live rock... Reply with quote

Nice  looking  tank  Veeral.  I  like  the  frag  tank  +  display  look.  It  that  a  sun  coral  on  your  rock  pile  ?  What  do  you  feed  it  ?  

Victor,  are  you  getting  the  anemone  specifically  for  the  clowns  to  host  in  ?  If  yes  then  know  that  it  is  definitely  not  necessary  they  wil  host  in  most  soft  corals  also
victor1061
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:17 pm Post subject: Re: Proper curing process for live rock... Reply with quote

@  Mortis  Yes  I'm  planning  to  get  the  anemone  specifically  to  study  and  understand  the  symbiotic  relationships  formed  between  various  sea  creatures,  the  same  goes  why  I  want  the  watchman  goby  and  pistol  shrimp....hopefully  later   i  will  be  getting  a  hermit  and  anemone  .

Regards,
 Vishnu
cichlid_lover
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:36 pm Post subject: Re: Proper curing process for live rock... Reply with quote

Well,  since  I  started  my  tank  a  few  months  ago(6  months  now),  I  am  aware  of  the  disasters  which  could  happen  in  a  new  tank.  I  would  suggest  holding  away  the  Bubble  tip  until  things  normalize.  If  I  were  you,  I  would  proceed  in  the  following  order:

Wait  till  the  0.3  nitrite  goes  to  zero  ->  Do  water  change  and  ensure  nitrates  are  below  20  ->  Add  Hermit  crabs  ->  Snails  ->  Chromis-  >  Wait  for  week  and  see  if  all  survive(it  probably  will  unless  something  is  really  bad  which  is  what  you  should  be  testing)  ->  clownfishes  ->  a  week  gap->  goby  ->  a  week  gap  ->  shrimps  ->  a  month  or  two->  all  fishes  added  survived?  ->  Bubble  tip(  Ideally  6  months  is  a  good  period  to  wait  which  most  people  recommend).

Best  to  add  the  new  fishes  to  a  quarantine  tank  before  putting  them  into  the  main  tank  and  throw  away  the  LFS  water  which  the  fish  came  with.  They  carry  pathogens.  When  you  buy  the  clowns,  buy  one  which  is  slightly  bigger  than  the  other.  Not  sure  if  shrimps  and  hermits  can  go  together.  Experts  might  add  more  to  this.
victor1061
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:22 am Post subject: Re: Proper curing process for live rock... Reply with quote

Finally  this  is  the  6th  week  and  my  marine  tank  has  been  stable  for  a  whole  week  with  no  Ammonia  or  nitrite  spikes  maintaining  at  0ppt  and  did  my  first  30%  water  change  and  the  nitrates  seem  stable  at  0.5ppt.  

I  have  added  a  single  Mono  Argentus  and  black  sailfin  molly  and  they  seem  to  be  doing  fine.
 Can  I  keep  them  with  the  new  marine  fishes  which  I  have  planned  for  the  tank,  or  should  they  be  removed.  These  two  have  been  with  me  for  a  very  long  time  beating  the  odds.

Regards,
 Vishnu
Darius
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:00 am Post subject: Re: Proper curing process for live rock... Reply with quote

They  will  add  to  the  bioload  of  your  tank.
victor1061
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:57 am Post subject: Re: Proper curing process for live rock... Reply with quote

I  woke  up  this  morning  to  an  unfortunate  event,  the  black  sailfin  molly  I  had  with  me  for  so  long  was  brutally  crushed  by  the  impeller  of  the  wavemaker.  In  the  morning  when  I  woke  up  there  was  a  power  cut  and  I  didn't  see  my  molly  which  I  assumed  was  hiding  under  the  rocks  as  usual,  but  suddenly  as  the  power  came  back  and  the  wavemaker  started  it  threw  the  mangled  body  of  my  molly  into  a  stream  of  water,  it  was  hiding  inside  the  wavemaker  for  some  reasons.  I  quickly  removed  it  and  did  a  water  change  and  checked  the  parameters.

But  thanks  to  him  now  I  know  what  a  dangerous  thing  the  wavemaker  can  be.

Is  there  a  way  to  curb  this  problem  so  that  the  small  fishes  don't  go  into  the  hole  of  the  wavemaker.  I  don't  want  such  a  thing  to  happen  again.

Regards,
 Vishnu
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:02 am Post subject: Re: Proper curing process for live rock... Reply with quote

I  think  you  can  cover  the  wavemaker  with  a  mosquito  net..  But  might  impact  the  flow  of  the  wave  maker.  But  better  than  an  accidental  entry  of  small  fishes  inside  the  wave  maker..

Or  use  the  bathing  scrub  mesh  to  cover  the  body  of  the  wave  maker..

josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:03 am Post subject: Re: Proper curing process for live rock... Reply with quote

I  would  better  use  the  second  option  that  I  have  mentioned  above.  The  mesh  when  flattened  would  be  very  good  to  cover  the  wave-maker  body  and  would  not  impact  the  flow  of  the  wave-maker..

Let  other  comment..   Thumb Up
victor1061
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:35 pm Post subject: Re: Proper curing process for live rock... Reply with quote

Thanks  Shelly  I  too  was  thinking  of  the  same  but  wasn't  sure  if  it  would  affect  the  flow  rate  of  the  wavemaker.
 Anyways  I'll  give  it  a  try.  Better  than  getting  fishes  dead  I  guess.

Regards,
 Vishnu
victor1061
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:38 pm Post subject: Re: Proper curing process for live rock... Reply with quote

Almost  two  months  old  now  my  tank  I  added  two  clarkii  clownfishes  a  few  days  back  and  everything  seems  to  be  doing  fine.  They  love  to  hide  behind  the  stocked  live  rocks  and  are  doing  pretty  good  and  have  adjusted  well.

So  today  I  went  ahead  and  added  5  turbo  and  4  nerite  snails  for  the  growing  algae  issue  in  my  tank(Red  and  green  patches  everywhere..slime  algae  perhaps).  And  also  have  added  a  few  bunches  of  green  polyps  to  start  off.
 Hope  everything  goes  well.  Most  of  them  have  properly  opened  up  while  some  still  remain  to  be  properly  opened.
 The  lighting  currently  is  4  T5's  of  35-40  watts.  Hoping  to  upgrade  after  seeing  the  progress.

-vishnu
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Live Rock and Invertebrates All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: