198. Guest
199. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,716

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - New Cichlid Tank setup!(3 week old fry video on Pg5)
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

New Cichlid Tank setup!(3 week old fry video on Pg5)
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vinod_Uthaiah
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:46 am Post subject: Re: New Cichlid Tank setup!(Jewel fry swarm video on Pg4) Reply with quote

Nopes,  they  will  carry  them  for  couple  of  days  ,  though  they  are  free  swimming.
 No  Siphoning  them  wont  hurt  if  you  do  it  in  the  right  manner.  Take  some  regular  water  from  your  existing  tank  which  has  the  jewels  and  other  fishes  in  it.  then  next  take  your  pipe  near  the  fry's  and  siphon  them  out...since  this  is  the  first  batch  (  I  assume  )  ,  Jewel  parents  are  going  to  freak  out  and  attack  your  pipe  (  no  harm  done  ).
 Reason  why  you  need  to  siphon  them  out  or  separate  them...stress  levels  are  going  to  be  very  high  in  your  tank  (  Parenting  and  protecting  stress  for  the  Jewels  and  stress  due  to  getting  cornered  for  other  fishes  )..This  will  ultimately  lead  to  deaths  in  your  tank.
 What  wil  lhappen  if  you  wait  for  couple  more  weeks  ?
 1)  Stress  and  death  of  your  fishes
 2)  Fry's  are  going  to  get  big  and  they  will  venture  away  from  parents  and  will  be  ultimately  be  eaten  by  predators.
 Regarding  food...once  they  are  in  a  separate  tank...podered  food  will  sink  after  some  time  and  will  automatically  be  eaten  by  te  Fry's.
Caesar
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:23 am Post subject: Re: New Cichlid Tank setup!(Jewel fry swarm video on Pg4) Reply with quote

OK  Great!!!  so  i  can  move  them  today  itself?  they  just  became  free  swimmers  this  morning..or  till  they  start  eating?  what  i  mean  is  moving  them  too  early  dangerous  for  the  fry?
Caesar
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:23 am Post subject: Re: New Cichlid Tank setup!(Jewel fry swarm video on Pg4) Reply with quote

Also  how  big  a  tank  i  need  to  move  them  too??
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:24 am Post subject: Re: New Cichlid Tank setup!(Jewel fry swarm video on Pg4) Reply with quote

Put  up  a  partition  in  the  tank,  you  can  make  one  with  nylon  net  which  is  used  in  windows  with  a  frame,  or  use  a  piece  of  acrylic  sheet  with  holes  punched.
 This  would  be  the  simplest  and  least  disruptive.
 Moving  the  fry  at  this  stage  can  result  in  many  casualties,  as  the  water  parameters  will  change  in  new  tank  .
 In  case  of  jewels  I  found  that  fry  rate  is  better  if  left  with  parents  for  some  time,  then  remove  the  male  after  1  month,  leave  the  female  with  fry.
 Check  this  out.
 It  might  help

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=16494&highlight=jewel*
Vinod_Uthaiah
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:30 am Post subject: Re: New Cichlid Tank setup!(Jewel fry swarm video on Pg4) Reply with quote

sandeepraghuvanshi  wrote  (View  Post):                
Put  up  a  partition  in  the  tank,  you  can  make  one  with  nylon  net  which  is  used  in  windows  with  a  frame,  or  use  a  piece  of  acrylic  sheet  with  holes  punched.
 This  would  be  the  simplest  and  least  disruptive.
 Moving  the  fry  at  this  stage  can  result  in  many  casualties,  as  the  water  parameters  will  change  in  new  tank  .
 In  case  of  jewels  I  found  that  fry  rate  is  better  if  left  with  parents  for  some  time,  then  remove  the  male  after  1  month,  leave  the  female  with  fry.
 Check  this  out.
 It  might  help

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=16494&highlight=jewel*                

+  1  Sandeep  ......  I  totally  forgot  about  the  partition  .   Thumb Up  

Though  I  did  the  siphoning  3  times  successfully.
Caesar
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:23 pm Post subject: Re: New Cichlid Tank setup!(Jewel fry swarm video on Pg4) Reply with quote

Ok  now  since  last  evening  the  Jewels  have  taken  over  the  tank!  They  are  roaming  from  one  end  of  the  tank  to  other  with  their  brood..and  the  other  poor  fish  are  hiding  in  the  rocks!!  Maybe  i  should  move  the  other  fish  out  of  this  tank  because  they  are  SCARED!!  The  male  and  female  Jewel  are  taking  turns  in  the  chasing  them  away  even  when  they  are  already  hiding..will  moving  the  fry  to  another  tank  stop  this  aggression  or  will  it  aggravate  it?
Vinod_Uthaiah
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:32 pm Post subject: Re: New Cichlid Tank setup!(Jewel fry swarm video on Pg4) Reply with quote

PLease  remove  and  restore  peace
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:57 pm Post subject: Re: New Cichlid Tank setup!(Jewel fry swarm video on Pg4) Reply with quote

Noah's  ark  type  of  tanks  do  not  run  for  long.
 You  need  to  decide  the  type  of  setup  you  want.
 If  you  want  to  keep  a  breeding  pair  of  jewels,  the  size  of  tank  does  not  matter,  they  get  pretty  aggressive.
Caesar
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:03 pm Post subject: Re: New Cichlid Tank setup!(Jewel fry swarm video on Pg4) Reply with quote

Yup  learning  as  im  going  along  in  this  hobby..   Doh
Vinod_Uthaiah
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:37 am Post subject: Re: New Cichlid Tank setup!(Jewel fry swarm video on Pg4) Reply with quote

Caesar  wrote  (View  Post):                
Ok  now  since  last  evening  the  Jewels  have  taken  over  the  tank!  They  are  roaming  from  one  end  of  the  tank  to  other  with  their  brood..and  the  other  poor  fish  are  hiding  in  the  rocks!!  Maybe  i  should  move  the  other  fish  out  of  this  tank  because  they  are  SCARED!!  The  male  and  female  Jewel  are  taking  turns  in  the  chasing  them  away  even  when  they  are  already  hiding..will  moving  the  fry  to  another  tank  stop  this  aggression  or  will  it  aggravate  it?                

This  was  bound  to  happen....and  this  will  worsen  with  the  fact  that  the  jewels  will  rule  the  entire  tank...till  something  drastic  happens.....let  us  know  your  future  actions.
Caesar
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:13 am Post subject: Update: three week old fry! Reply with quote

Hi  everyone,  its  been  three  weeks  since  my  jewel  pair  spawned..had  moved  them  to  a  separate  2.5  ft  tank  nearly  two  weeks  ago..everything  is  nice  and  quiet  now,  added  a  pair  of  juvenile  convicts  and  two  pair  of  labidochromis  ceruleus  .  hoping  most  of  these  four  are  females  to  achieve  1:3  male:female  ratio..this  a  video  link  of  the  fry  and  their  parents  in  their  own  tank

http://youtu.be/QKcbRLC_5YA

my  question  is:
 1.  should  i  separate  the  parents  from  the  fry  and  return  them  to  the  big  tank?
 2.  or  only  the  male?  i  havent  noticed  any  aggression  on  the  part  of  either  parents  yet..
 3.  im  feeding  the  fry  crushed  flake  food,  can  i  try  some  other  food?
 4.  ive  kept  the  tank  bare  bottom  with  only  a  sponge  filter..should  i  think  about  adding  gravel/stones/hiding  places  now  that  they  are  bigger  to  provide  them  a  more  natural  environment?

any  other  tips  and  ideas  are  most  welcome!  Thanx!!
Vinod_Uthaiah
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:12 am Post subject: Re: New Cichlid Tank setup!(3 week old fry video on Pg5) Reply with quote

It  is  your  choice....whether  to  return  them  to  the  main  tank.......the  more  earlier  you  put  them  back...sooner  they  will  decide  to  spawn  again....it  is  all  fun  now.
 Put  them  back  togetheer  or  single...no  issues.
 Grindal  worms...or  the  similar  kinds  will  do  a  real  good.
 Please  provide  hiding  places...aggression  would  have  set  in  by  now
Caesar
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:07 pm Post subject: Re: New Cichlid Tank setup!(3 week old fry video on Pg5) Reply with quote

Hmmm..I  wouldnt  want  them  spawning  again..so  I  can  safely  leave  them  in  their  own  tank?  They  wont  harm  the  fry?  I  read  that  they  might  eat  the  fry  when  they  are  ready  to  spawn  again!  Which  should  be  in  a  month  or  so..
Vinod_Uthaiah
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:54 pm Post subject: Re: New Cichlid Tank setup!(3 week old fry video on Pg5) Reply with quote

Actually  ,  when  mine  spawned  for  the  second  time....I  left  them  with  the  Fry's  for  12  weeks  and  they  did  not  spawn...not  sure  how  it  might  pan  out  for  you...give  it  a  try
Caesar
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:32 pm Post subject: Re: New Cichlid Tank setup!(3 week old fry video on Pg5) Reply with quote

Vinod_Uthaiah  wrote  (View  Post):                
Please  provide  hiding  places...aggression  would  have  set  in  by  now                

aggression  in  parents?  or  the  fry?   Surprised
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: