146. Guest
147. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,749

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - My DIY Canister Filter..
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

My DIY Canister Filter..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> DIY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BPLDUDE
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:09 pm Post subject: My DIY Canister Filter.. Reply with quote

Hello  Guys  i  like  to  share  my  DIY  External  filter..

From  very  long  time  i  was  planing  to  get  one  Canister  Filter  after  seeing  too  many  thing  i  finally  came  up  with  this  idea  of  making  this..   I  am  very  much  interested  in  DIY  stuff  because  its  cheap  and  work  according  we  need..The  things  which  i  used  is  easily  available  to  hardware  store.  

Process  of  this  filter  very  simple  and  easy  to  work..Water  gets  siphoned  into  the  canister  from  Top  through  gravitational  force,  passing  through  various  media  moves  downwards  into  a  pump  situated  at  the  bottom  that  throws  the  water  back  into  the  aquarium....When  pump  is  off  water  flow  automatically  stop..

Things  which  i  used  in  this  filter  with  rates

1.   Parle  Plastic  Body         xx   ?
 2.   One  10  ft  PVC  Pipe      xx   ?   (Only  4  feet  used  I  didnt  find  small  piece)
 3.   8  Elbow                                xx   ?   each  (only  6  used  no  need  of  8  elbows)
 4.   2  Connector                       xx   ?   each
 5.   1  Cooler  water  pump   xx  ?
 6.   Fiber  Cotton                     xx   ?
 7.   Mseal                                    xx   ?
 8.   Rubber  Pipe                       xx  ?
 9.   Ceramic  grains  Get  this  from  my  friend         
 10.  Activated  Carbon   grains  Get  this  from  my  friend

Started  with  all  these  things

And  this  

and  this

and  finally  its  completed...

Last edited by BPLDUDE on Tue May 14, 2013 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
SuPro
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:05 am Post subject: Re: My DIY Canister Filter.. Reply with quote

Nicely  done   Thumb Up
shri-novice
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:27 am Post subject: Re: My DIY Canister Filter.. Reply with quote

pump  is  outside?  pls  share  working  pics/video  if  possible
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
shri-novice
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:29 am Post subject: Re: My DIY Canister Filter.. Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
deepakg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:53 am Post subject: Re: My DIY Canister Filter.. Reply with quote

Very  nice.  Thumb Up  Maaz
Deepak267
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:54 am Post subject: Re: My DIY Canister Filter.. Reply with quote

looks  good.  be  careful  with  the  joints..  as  many  times,  it  leaks  after  a  while  and  create  issues  when  you  are  not  at  home.
Vinod_Uthaiah
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:22 am Post subject: Re: My DIY Canister Filter.. Reply with quote

As  for  the  joints  ...U  can  use  sealants  if  you  find  any  leaking  issues....
 Have  you  tested  the  working....check  for  leak  points.....
 can  help  you  out...have  a  DIY  filter  for  my  8  footer
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:35 am Post subject: Re: My DIY Canister Filter.. Reply with quote

Although  its  a  good  try,  but  I  would  like  to  state  my  experience  and  a  few  alarming  points.

The  Lid  of  the  canister  will  not  hold  on  for  a  long  time.  You  need  to  secure  it  with  an  external  fitting.

If  you  have  just  put  all  the  media  together  without  putting  weight  on  it,  then,  after  it  gathers  gunk,  the  floss(cotton  fibre)  will  come  up(float  up)  and  then  push  the  lid  open.

Therefore  put  some  weight  on  the  media,  so  that  clean  water  can  be  seen  clearly  and  the  filteration  media  will  remian  compact.

Remember,  all  the  gunk  which  gets  accumalated  will  also  have  "GAS",  the  pungent  smell  remember?

which  gas?  Smile.  (answer  my  question)

It  will  take  atleast  6  weeks  for  proper  filteration  in  "YOUR"  canister  filter  (  whatever  the  bioload).  I  will  post  my  canister  filter  next  week  when  I  clean  the  media  for  your  reference  and  proof  of  gunk  accumalation  +  clean  water  +  media  ware  &  tare  +  active  carbon  ware-out.

Its  a  great  project   Thumb Up  all  the  best  good  luck.
BPLDUDE
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:38 pm Post subject: Re: My DIY Canister Filter.. Reply with quote

SuPro  wrote  (View  Post):                
Nicely  done   Thumb Up                

Thanks  Man..

shri-novice  wrote  (View  Post):                

No  Pump  is  inside  of  Container  in  the  bottom  side...ok  I  share  more  pics  When  its  working...

deepakg  wrote  (View  Post):                
Very  nice.  Thumb Up  Maaz                

Thanks  Deepak  ji..

Deepak267  wrote  (View  Post):                
looks  good.  be  careful  with  the  joints..  as  many  times,  it  leaks  after  a  while  and  create  issues  when  you  are  not  at  home.                

Thanks  Sirji..i  am  using  this  one  from  past  1.5  -  2  months...I  face  leaking   Sad   problem  from  the  cap  side  but  now  i  pack  it  with  MSEAL   so  not  leaking  prob  now..

Vinod_Uthaiah  wrote  (View  Post):                
As  for  the  joints  ...U  can  use  sealants  if  you  find  any  leaking  issues....
 Have  you  tested  the  working....check  for  leak  points.....
 can  help  you  out...have  a  DIY  filter  for  my  8  footer                

No  leaking  problem  right  now  Vinod  ji..i  tested  all...Result  are  surprising  because  i  didnt  expect  this  much...in  starting  i  even  didn't  know  weather  its  going  to  work  or  not..but  when  its  ready  it  too  good...I  like  to  say  if  any  one  planing  to  make  this  kind  of  DIY  Canister  Filter  pls  use  bigger  water  pump  its  available  in  market...

garothmaan  wrote  (View  Post):                
Although  its  a  good  try,  but  I  would  like  to  state  my  experience  and  a  few  alarming  points.

The  Lid  of  the  canister  will  not  hold  on  for  a  long  time.  You  need  to  secure  it  with  an  external  fitting.

If  you  have  just  put  all  the  media  together  without  putting  weight  on  it,  then,  after  it  gathers  gunk,  the  floss(cotton  fibre)  will  come  up(float  up)  and  then  push  the  lid  open.

Therefore  put  some  weight  on  the  media,  so  that  clean  water  can  be  seen  clearly  and  the  filteration  media  will  remian  compact.

Remember,  all  the  gunk  which  gets  accumalated  will  also  have  "GAS",  the  pungent  smell  remember?

which  gas?  Smile.  (answer  my  question)

It  will  take  atleast  6  weeks  for  proper  filteration  in  "YOUR"  canister  filter  (  whatever  the  bioload).  I  will  post  my  canister  filter  next  week  when  I  clean  the  media  for  your  reference  and  proof  of  gunk  accumalation  +  clean  water  +  media  ware  &  tare  +  active  carbon  ware-out.

Its  a  great  project   Thumb Up  all  the  best  good  luck.                

Thanks  garothmaan

In  starting  when  i  am  Preparing  this  i  face  the  very  same  problem  regarding  Cap  is  not  able  to  bear  the  weight  and  open  automatically..so  i  just  put  Mseal  there  for  make  it  tight..ok  for  future  i  will  check  that  time  to  time  before  my  tank  get  out  of  water

All  of  my  Media  in  Nylon  net  which  available  in  market..

starting  with  top  from  where  water  comes.
 1.Nylon  Cotton
 2.Filter  wool
 3.I  didnt  find  Bio  Balls  here  so  i  use  Nylon  Dish  washer  
 4.Ceramic  and  activated  Carbon  Granules  mix.
 5.  Pump   

I  was  also  thinking  the  same  GAS  that  smell  Kills  me...

one  more  thing  i  like  to  know  at  how  much  time  i  have  to  change  and  wash  this  filter...
vkv
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:38 pm Post subject: Re: My DIY Canister Filter.. Reply with quote

Hi,

Not  intending  to  dishearten  you  but  when  you  have  media  just  stuffed  in  without  proper  compartments,  the  water  flowing  in  tends  to  bypass  the  media  and  instead  of  passing  through  it,   goes  around  it.  This  will  reduce  the  efficiency  significantly.

If  your  joints  are  not  sealed  using  washers  then  you  will  have  trouble  opening  and  resealing  it  when  its  time  to  clean  the  filter.

Maybe  you  could  think  around  modifying  your  design  to  account  for  this.
 A  failed  canister  seal  can  cause  a  pretty  big  mess.  In  your  case  it  will  be  limited  by  the  siphon  breaking  but  it  could  still  cause  a  significant  flood.

Regards,
 Venkat
GokulK
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:44 am Post subject: Re: My DIY Canister Filter.. Reply with quote

Good  try!
 I  would  prefer  to  use  typical  paint  container  instead  of  PVC  or  plastic  bottles,  that's  really  strudy  and  heavy.
deepesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:03 am Post subject: Re: My DIY Canister Filter.. Reply with quote

Will  a  canister  filter  develop  gas?  H2S?  Won't  the  constant  water  flow  prevent  H2S  and  dissolve  CO2?
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:14 am Post subject: Re: My DIY Canister Filter.. Reply with quote

vkv  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi,

Not  intending  to  dishearten  you  but  when  you  have  media  just  stuffed  in  without  proper  compartments,  the  water  flowing  in  tends  to  bypass  the  media  and  instead  of  passing  through  it,   goes  around  it.  This  will  reduce  the  efficiency  significantly.

If  your  joints  are  not  sealed  using  washers  then  you  will  have  trouble  opening  and  resealing  it  when  its  time  to  clean  the  filter.

Maybe  you  could  think  around  modifying  your  design  to  account  for  this.
 A  failed  canister  seal  can  cause  a  pretty  big  mess.  In  your  case  it  will  be  limited  by  the  siphon  breaking  but  it  could  still  cause  a  significant  flood.

Regards,
 Venkat                

Absolutely  right,  that  is  why,  the  media  should  be  placed  "SQUARELY",  1  above  the  other  in  proper  orientation.  Like  floors  in  a  building.

Your  filter  will  ultimately  be  a  biological  filter  after  6  weeks.

When  you  say  you  smell  GAS,  that  means  ammonia  build-up  +  diatomes(that  brown  muddy  thing  in  pipe  and  above  sponge).

Therefore  in  the  begining,  you  have  to  do  50%  water  changes  in  your  tank  so  that  the  filter  keeps  clean  water  also.  

slowly  bacteria  colony  will  start  developing  and  will  start  breaking  down  the  GAS.  

Then  the  filter  will  smell  like  roof  tiles  Smile  and  the  sponge/floss  will  smell  like  camphor  .  

Almost,  the  water  will  look  clean.

But  unitll  the  above  happens,  your  filter's  lid  will  keep  popping  open   Chuckle  .
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:34 pm Post subject: Re: My DIY Canister Filter.. Reply with quote

Another  great  option  for  a  container  is  the  buckets  of  protein  supplement.  They  have  a  very  tight  snap  on  lid  that  wont  come  off  easily  and  they  are  flat  so  you  could  still  always  put  a  weight  on  it  if  you  wanted
codervetri
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:28 am Post subject: Re: My DIY Canister Filter.. Reply with quote

if  you  are  facing  leak  on  the  cap,  you  can  run  teflon  tape  on  the  thread.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  DIY All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: