54. Guest
55. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,784

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Co2 system ...... But unfortunately failed !!!!
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Co2 system ...... But unfortunately failed !!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> CO2 Equipment for Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunny_2K_99
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:17 am Post subject: Co2 system ...... But unfortunately failed !!!! Reply with quote

Hi  experts  !!!

My   attempt  to  build  co2  system  ......  But  unfortunately  failed  !!!!

In  the  first  attempt  I  guess  there  were  many  problems  which  again  came  in  the  second  attempt.  On  opening  the  main  valve  of  the  cylinder  there  was  a  hissing  sort  of  sound  that  came  and  when  the  valve  was  fully  opened  the  sound  vanished.  Does  this  sound  indicate  leakage  or  some  problem  in  my  main  valve?

One  more  thing  I  noted  that  was  the  needle  valve  despite  of  being  completely  closed  down  allowed  the  Co2  gas  to  be  passed  through  it.  Despite  of  the  sound  initially  I  kept  the  whole  system  working  on  solenoid  valve.   The  bubble  count  was  4bps.   The  3.5  kg  cylinder  exhausted  within  a  week.  Is  the  exhaustion  of  the  cylinder  early  because  of  leakage?  If  yes  then  leakage  in  which  valve  ?  The  initial  hissing  sound  or  the  non  shutting  needle  valve?

After  15  days  (delay  because  of  LBT)  today  I  bought  the  refilled  cylinder  and  started  rebuilding  the  co2  system  with  a  new  needle  valve  (image  attached)  but  again  that  mysterious  hissing  sound  came  from  the  cylinder’s  main  valve  and  from  the  new  needle  valve  as  well  after  which  the  whole  system  was  shut  down.  

All  the  joining  areas  of  the  Co2  system  were  thoroughly  applied  shaving  foam  to  check  the  leakage.  As  soon  as  the  cylinder’s  main  valve  was  half  opened  the  same  mysterious  hissing  sound  came  and  the  foam  got  splattered  (image  attached).   The  same  happened  at  the  joints  of  the  new  needle  valve  (image  attached).  As  of  now  the  whole  Co2  setup  is  completely  shut  down.

Kindly  guide  me  regarding  that  mysterious  sound  and  any  other  point  that  I  have  missed  out.

Sorry  for  the  pain  caused  to  you  because  of  my  queries  but  its  just  that  I  do  not  want  repeat  the  same  mistakes  again.  

Regards

Sunny
vkv
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:37 am Post subject: Re: Co2 system ...... But unfortunately failed !!!! Reply with quote

its  likely  to  be  your  needle  valve  or  the  connections.
 The  main  valve  has  to  be  opened  completely.  the  sound  is  normal  if  you  have  half  opened  it.  It  should  disappear  when  you  open  it  fully.

Have  you  used  teflon  tape  to  seal  the  connections?

Regards,
 Venkat
Athreyan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:01 am Post subject: Re: Co2 system ...... But unfortunately failed !!!! Reply with quote

Have  you  connected  the  regulator  to  the  cylinder  properly  using  proper  nylon  washers?  I'm  asking  because  usually  the  washers  from  the  regulators  are  missing  when  buying  them.  You  have  to  make  sure  the  washers  are  in  place  or  the  connection  will  not  be  leak  proof.

@experts:  in  the  second  picture,  he  is  indicating  the  leak  at  the  cylinder  valve  knob.  Could  that  indicate  a  faulty  cylinder?   :shock:

Also,  Sunny,  I'm  not  entirely  sure  of  what  part  is  the  first  picture.  is  it  the  needle  valve?  I  see  the  pointer  arrow,  but  all  the  foam  is  a  bit  confusing  to  me.
jabba
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:08 am Post subject: Re: Co2 system ...... But unfortunately failed !!!! Reply with quote

Dude  if  you  have  even  the  slightest  doubt  that  the  CO2  system  is  faulty  change  it.
 Co2  cylinders  are  very  high  pressure  cylinders  and  is  extremely  dangerous.

Dont  play  with  it  a  lot....  Recently  I  saw  Jerins(IAH  member)  hand.  A  portion  of  his  finger  was  freezed  when  some  Co2  gas  hit  his  finger.  Co2  is  stored  in  the  cylinder  at  highly  freezed  state  That  is  why  it  happened.  He  was  lucky  as  his  finger  has  recovered  now.  What  he  said  is  that  the  valve  went  of  from  the  cylinder  and  the  portion  on  the  wall  where  it  hit  got  damaged.  So  imagine  the  force  man.
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:18 am Post subject: Re: Co2 system ...... But unfortunately failed !!!! Reply with quote

The  ceats  of  the  connecting  nozzles  (threaded)  are  not  touching  the  groove  and  closing  in.  check  if  you  are  tightening  it  till  the  end.  check  the  lenght  of  both  the  assembly.
vkv
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:31 am Post subject: Re: Co2 system ...... But unfortunately failed !!!! Reply with quote

From  the  looks  of  it  it  seems  the  cylinder  is  from  Metro  gas.  Those  should  be  pretty  safe  as  they  are  professional  and  test  their  cylinders.

It  seems  like  a  straightforward  case  of  either  a  bad  valve  or  solenoid  or  leaking  joints.

The  leakage  from  the  main  valve  is  expexted  when  it  is  half  open.

Next  steps  are  probably  to  disassemble.
 reconnect  just  the  regulator  and  needle  valve   with  sufficient  teflon  packing  and  after  opening  thr  main  valve  fully  soap  water  test  each  joint  with  regulator  fully  closed.
 Then  move  to  needle  valve  testing.

BTW.  it  works  fine  even  without  the  washers  at  least  for  me.

regards,
 Venkat
Sunny_2K_99
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:24 pm Post subject: Re: Co2 system ...... But unfortunately failed !!!! Reply with quote

@vkv

I  have  sealed  the  connections  using  the  tape  which  plumbers  generally  use  for  sealing  pipes  and  taps.

The  teflon  tape  you  are  talking  of  is  specially  availbale  in  the  market  or  differernt  from  the  one  I  have  used.?

also  confirm  that  the  hissing  sound  is  normal  when  the  main  valve  of  cylinder  is  half  open  ?  the  shaving  foam  too  got  splatterd  then  and  the  gas  could  be  seen.

Also  when  the  valve  was  fully  opened  there  was  no  sound  a  nd  the  foam  when  reapllied  was  as  it  is  ,showing  no  signs  of  leakage.  Is  it  normal?

Plz  clarify.
Sunny_2K_99
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:46 pm Post subject: Re: Co2 system ...... But unfortunately failed !!!! Reply with quote

@  athreyan

[Also,  Sunny,  I'm  not  entirely  sure  of  what  part  is  the  first  picture.  is  it  the  needle  valve?  I  see  the  pointer  arrow,  but  all  the  foam  is  a  bit  confusing  to  me.]

Ya  its  a  needle  valve...  the  foam  is  showing   the  leak..  

@  jaba

I  just  want  to  clear  my  doubt..because  this  cylinder  is  purchased  from  one  of  the  hobbyiest  only.

@Garothmaan
   I  am  going  to  rejoin  the  assembling....
vkv
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:30 pm Post subject: Re: Co2 system ...... But unfortunately failed !!!! Reply with quote

Same  tape  .  its  called  teflon  tape  by  plumbers.

The  gas  being  released  when  main  valve  is  half  open  is  normal.  it  should  not  leak  when  fully  open.

Add  the  connections  one  by  one  and  check  in  sequence.

My  guess  is  that  your  needle  valve  is  bad.

regards,
 Venkat
Sunny_2K_99
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:46 am Post subject: Re: Co2 system ...... But unfortunately failed !!!! Reply with quote

I  have  changed  the  needle  valve  and  rejoined  the  connections  and  have  checked  for  any  leakage  with  soap  water.  I  have  not  found  any  leakage  as  of  know..

I  have  a  query..  The  metre  which  is  to  the  left  side  of  cylinder  is  set  with  marking  of  "2"  in  the  night  but  in  the  morning  it  slides  down  slightly  on  its  own.  (there  is  no  disturbance  around  to  touch  the  settings).  Is  the  dropping  of  the  mark  normal?

Regards

sunny
vkv
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:28 am Post subject: Re: Co2 system ...... But unfortunately failed !!!! Reply with quote

is  is  continuously  dropping  or  just  once  after  you  adjusted  regulator  output?

If  it  stabilizes  at  a  value  close  to  2  then  there  is  no  problem.  You  can  leave  it  alone.  Its  unlikely  that  it  will  continously  shift  unless  you  fiddle  with  the  regulator.  Once  its  set  dont  touch  the  regulator.

BTW,  just  a  word  of  caution  always  hand  thread  any  connections  for  first  few  turns  before  using  a  spanner  else  you  might  damage  the  threads.

Regards,
 Venkat
Sunny_2K_99
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:12 pm Post subject: Re: Co2 system ...... But unfortunately failed !!!! Reply with quote

@  VKV

Just  once  after  i  adjusted  the  regulator..
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  CO2 Equipment for Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: