185. Guest
186. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,805

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Plants in very bad shape: Please help
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Plants in very bad shape: Please help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rookietookie
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:55 pm Post subject: Plants in very bad shape: Please help Reply with quote

Started  with  my  first  planted  tank  on  4.03.2013.  Following  specifications  regarding  other  parameters:
 Dimension:  3ft*1.5ft*2ft  (Depth).  
 Lighting:  35  W  CFL,  daylight  6000K  (White),  4  √§quarium"  fluorescent  lights  total  of  100W,  so  total  135  W.  Two  of  the  tube  lights  are  more  than  2  years  old  but  still  working.
 Plants:  Amazon  and  foxtail.
 Fish:  Senegal,  Rainbow  shark,  3  clown  loaches,  two  3  inch  plecos  and  5  apple  snails.

I  had  chosen  these  plants  because  I  didn't  want  to  spend  too  much  on  CO2  setup  as  this  is  my  first  tryst  with  planted...hence  want  to  get  used  to  with  relatively  easy  plants  before  I  spend  more  on  the  hobby.

The  attachments  show  that  the  tank  is  anything  but  presentable  and  doesnt  look  good  in  the  living  room.  Please  help  me  fix  the  problem...is  it  lighting?  or  CO2?  The  algae  has  really  taken  over  and  so  I  bought  2  small  plecos  in  the  hope  of  fixing  it  atleast  partially.

Sandeep:  I  have  corrected  your  image  tags,  right  click  on  the  picture,  go  to  properties,  and  copy  the  path  of  the  image
SuPro
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:20 am Post subject: Re: Plants in very bad shape: Please help Reply with quote

Hi
 Full  tank  shot  please.  Water  change  schedule  &  Photo  -  period?  
 As  per  my  suggestion  reduce  light  for  your  algae  problem  &  increase  water  change,but  need  more  info  about  your  tank  for  better  suggestion.
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:54 am Post subject: Re: Plants in very bad shape: Please help Reply with quote

What  substrate  are  you  using..  
 Is  this  the  same  tank  in  this  link..?
 https://picasaweb.google.com/105350532378321286671/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCKCq26GDoNTrIA#5861208878853895410
 If  yes..  I  can  see  aquaclay  on  top,  but  what's  underneath  it?
 What  filtration  is  in  it..?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rookietookie
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:31 am Post subject: Re: Plants in very bad shape: Please help Reply with quote

Yes  Srinidhi,  it  is  the  same  tank.  The  top  layer  is  aaquaclay,  the  middle  layer  is  aquarium  soil  suggested  by  LFS  and  the  bottom  most  is  river  sand.  I  had  enquired  in  couple  of  LFSs  regarding  the  order  in  which  the  layers  should  be  and  contrary  to  what  I  thought,  they  all  said  the  sand  at  bottom.  Infact  a  famous  LFS  has  a  display  tank  with  same  order.  Even  then  I  wont  be  surprised  if  someone  says  that  order  is  wrong.

Fliter  is  visible  in  the  full  tank  shot  below...it  is  usual  immersible  filter  most  commonly  available.  It  worked  well  in  my  earlier  tank...unplanted  but  with  substantial  bioload  with  4  goldfish,  arowana,  silver  sharks.  It  worked  well  atleast  then.

Supro,
 Older  full  tank  shot:[img]https://picasaweb.google.com/105350532378321286671/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCKCq26GDoNTrIA#5866037457128427490[/img]

I  will  upload  latest  but  the  difference  is  blackened  plants.  I  usually  change  25%  water  ever  Saturday  but  with  this  problem  I  have  been  changing  water  very  frequently  and  over  Friday  to  Monday  total  water  change  was  100%  to  get  rid  of  greenish  water.  I  observe  that  water  looks  green  when  I  switch  on  the  CFL  ..but  with  only  the  fluorescent  tubes  the  greenness  is  muted  but  still  water  is  cloudy  with  white  particles.  

Lighting:
 [img]https://picasaweb.google.com/105350532378321286671/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCKCq26GDoNTrIA#5890661848442735730[/img]

I  thought  it  could  have  been  CO2  and  hence  made  a  DIY  CO2  system  using  yeast,  sugar  and  baking  powder...got  the  gas  coming  out  in  2  hours,  but  didn't  put  the  bubble  stone  inside  the  tank  at  night  fearing  buildup  of  CO2.  Now  when  I  turn  on  the  lights,  I  will  put  it  in  water.  Honestly,  I  am  not  at  all  confident  regarding  whether  it  is  CO2  or  too  much  light  or  bad  substrate.  Really  need  some  advice.
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:14 am Post subject: Re: Plants in very bad shape: Please help Reply with quote

You  have  135  w  of  light  in  a  67  gallon  tank,  that  is  nearly  2  w/g.
 There  is  no  co2  supplementation,  a  diy  setup  will  not  do  in  a  tank  of  this  size.
 Either  get  a  pressurized  system  or  cut  down  your  lights  to  1w/g.
 Also  get  plants  appropriate  for  low  light  no  co2  setup  like  anubias,  ferns  etc.
rookietookie
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:44 pm Post subject: Re: Plants in very bad shape: Please help Reply with quote

I  have  started  with  reduced  light  from  yesterday...however  since  it  is  2  ft  deep,  instead  of  135  watt  for  12  hrs  I  did  earlier,  I  will  be  doing  80  watt  for  10  hours.  Plecos,  which  I  had  introduced  on  Sunday  have  been  at  work  and  today  I  observed  that  some  of  the  leaves  on  which  they  were  perched  are  again  looking  green  and  healthy...perhaps  it  is  only  algae  which  is  to  blame.

Sandeep,  CO2  equipment  costs  in  five  digits  in  Nagpur  and  moreover,  there  is  lot  of  hassle  while  refilling  it  as  there  is  a  difference  in  the  nozzles  which  refillers  have  here  in  Nagpur.  Hence  to  begin  with  only  I  had  thought  of  Amazon  and  javamoss...foxtail  and  small  grass  looking  where  really  pushed  by  LFS  person.  I  think  all  these  plants  are  supposed  to  be  relatively  easy.

Is  it  possible  to  reduce  light  and  not  have  external  CO2  and  still  have  healthy  plants  with  the  set  up  I  have?
jabba
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:52 pm Post subject: Re: Plants in very bad shape: Please help Reply with quote

Hi  sandeepraghuvanshi,

This  is  diatom  algae  right.....In  that  case  the  treatment  should  be  80%  water  change  every  day  for  the  next  10  days.
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:16 pm Post subject: Re: Plants in very bad shape: Please help Reply with quote

You  can  definitely  have  a  healthy  planted  tank  without  co2,  but  you  must  choose  plants  according  to  it.
 Anubias,  java  ferns  are  a  good  choice.
 Amazons  are  very  heavy  root  feeders,  in  low  light  and  less  fertile  substrate  they  do  not  do  very  good.
 When  plants  are  not  healthy,  algae  will  take  over.

Quote:                
 jabba
 Hi  sandeepraghuvanshi,  

This  is  diatom  algae  right.....In  that  case  the  treatment  should  be  80%  water  change  every  day  for  the  next  10  days.                

It  looks  to  me  to  be  both  diatoms  and  bga,  both  of  them  are  often  seen  in  low  light  tanks.
 If  it  is  diatoms,  pleco  will  eat  it  away  and  bga  will  be  left  behind.
 It  is  very  hard  to  eradicate  bga.
 Correct  the  root  cause,  snip  away  the  affected  leaves  and  new  leaves  should  be  okay.
jabba
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:02 pm Post subject: Re: Plants in very bad shape: Please help Reply with quote

BGA  -Blue  green  algae???.....Then  use  erythromycin  tablets
rookietookie
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:25 pm Post subject: Re: Plants in very bad shape: Please help Reply with quote

erythromycin?  Can  you  please  suggest  dosage  keeping  in  mind  the  fish  and  apple  snails...is  there  a  commercial  name  for  erythromycin?
rookietookie
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:07 pm Post subject: Re: Plants in very bad shape: Please help Reply with quote

Sandeep,  just  saw  your  message  below  the  pictures...Thanks!
BPLDUDE
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:15 pm Post subject: Re: Plants in very bad shape: Please help Reply with quote

its  look  like  no  water  flow  in  tank  or  filteration  in  tank...  no  water  change  from  long  time...
rookietookie
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:25 pm Post subject: Re: Plants in very bad shape: Please help Reply with quote

BPLDUDE...no  mate.  I  have  been  in  this  hobby  since  14  yeas.  25-30%  weekly  was  regularly  done  and  in  last  week  I  have  been  crazy  about  water  changes  because  I  am  used  to  keeping  aquarium  in  good  health.  The  filter  worked  just  finewhen  I  had  a  number  of  fish  in  unplanted  aquarium  and  even  now  it  is  working  as  I  can  see  the  fox  tail  swaying  in  the  current.
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:30 pm Post subject: Re: Plants in very bad shape: Please help Reply with quote

rookietookie  wrote  (View  Post):                
erythromycin?  Can  you  please  suggest  dosage  keeping  in  mind  the  fish  and  apple  snails...is  there  a  commercial  name  for  erythromycin?                

I  am  not  sure  it  is  a  good  idea,  it  might  do  more  harm  than  good.
 Your  nitrogen  cycle  will  go  for  a  toss  and  fishes  might  suffer.
 If  you  are  in  such  a  hurry,  lower  the  water  level,  make  a  solution  of  1:  20  solution  of  bleach,  dip  a  cotton  in  beach  solution,  wipe  the  leaves.
 Wipe  them  again  with  wet  cotton  to  remove  any  signs  of  bleach  and  fill  up  the  tank.
 BGA  will  turn  white  and  fall  away.
 However  it  will  come  back  again  unless  root  cause  is  rectified.
SuPro
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:53 am Post subject: Re: Plants in very bad shape: Please help Reply with quote

Hi  
 Good  to  know  your  tank  is  getting  back  to  normal  again.  Try  Siamese  Algae  Eater  if  you  can  find  them,  will  help  you  out  with  all  forms  of  algae  issue.  Continue  weekly  30-40%  water  change  schedule  as  you  do.  Get  rid  of  those  6400K  CFL's  your  two  tubes  are  good  enough.  My  tank,  photo  period  is  6-8  hrs,would  suggest  you  the  same.   As  for  CO2  forget  DIY,  use  Seachem  Flourish  Excel.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: