105. Guest
106. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,460

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Advice about adding MONEYPLANT in tank.
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Advice about adding MONEYPLANT in tank.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kapa
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:10 am Post subject: Advice about adding MONEYPLANT in tank. Reply with quote

Guys,  can  i  add  a  money  plant  in  tank  of  size  24*15*12  having  1  goldfish  &  2  shubunkin  fishes  with  UG  filter.  Moneyplant  can  b  grown  in  water  alone  as  wel  as  in  black  soil  (farm  soil)?  wil  this  keep  my  fishes  safe?
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:04 am Post subject: Re: Advice about adding MONEYPLANT in tank. Reply with quote

Money  plant  is  a  terrestrial  plant.  It  might  survive  for  some  time,  but  later  it  will  rot.  You  can  keep  the  roots  in  your  aquarium  and  let  the  plant  grow  outside.  When  there  are  lots  of  aquatic  plants  without  substrate,  like  Anubias,  Moss  and  ferns(technically  not  exactly  plants)  why  do  you  want  to  grow  money  plant?

Regards
sjeeva
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:09 pm Post subject: Re: Advice about adding MONEYPLANT in tank. Reply with quote

rasikanayak  wrote  (View  Post):                
Money  plant  is  a  terrestrial  plant.  It  might  survive  for  some  time,  but  later  it  will  rot.  You  can  keep  the  roots  in  your  aquarium  and  let  the  plant  grow  outside.  When  there  are  lots  of  aquatic  plants  without  substrate,  like  Anubias,  Moss  and  ferns(technically  not  exactly  plants)  why  do  you  want  to  grow  money  plant?

Regards                

Hi  Nayak,

Even  I  was  thinking  of  using  either  money  plant  or  chines  bamboo  to  cycle  nitrate  and  ammonia..  

-  Jeeva
kapa
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:56 pm Post subject: Re: Advice about adding MONEYPLANT in tank. Reply with quote

Thanx  nayak.  Which   plants  are  better  either  moneyplant  or  plants  you  mentioned?  Wil  this  keep  my  fishes  safe?   Does  it  wil  require  extra  setup  for  plants?  What  is  your  opinion  about  jeeva  asked?
Athreyan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:22 pm Post subject: Re: Advice about adding MONEYPLANT in tank. Reply with quote

Kapa,  what  Nayak  is  trying  to  say  is  that  money  plants  are  not  suitable  for  aquariums.

what  exactly  is  your  aim  with  having  plants  in  your  aquarium?  Whether  you  want  to  have  a  proper  fully  planted  tank,  or  whether  you  want  to  provide  some  sort  of  shelter  for  your  fishes,  or  whether  you  breed  fish  &  you're  trying  to  protect  the  fry?  There  are  many  reasons  why  people  have  plants  in  their  tanks.  What  is  yours?

According  to  your  needs,  you  can  select  plants.  There  are  tens  of  species  to  choose  from  depending  on  your  goal  and  the  kind  of  fish  you  have.

So,  as  I  keep  harping  over  &  over  again...  please  provide  all  possible  details  regarding  your  tank  &  fishes  and  your  goals,  so  people  can  help  better.
kapa
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:45 pm Post subject: Re: Advice about adding MONEYPLANT in tank. Reply with quote

I  want  plants  which  do  not  require  substrate.  And  i  want  add  them  for  decorative  purpose  also  as  a  shelter.  I  have  3  tanks.  1)24*15*12  having  UG  filtr.  Contains  1  goldfis,  2  shubunkin  fish.  
 2)  15*12*4  with  UG  filtr.  There  are  6  zebra  danio  in  it.  
 3)  6"  cube  without  filter  having  betta  in  it.  So  which  plant  is  suitable?  In  which  tank.
Athreyan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:08 pm Post subject: Re: Advice about adding MONEYPLANT in tank. Reply with quote

For  your  goldfish  tank,  your  choices  are  very  limited.  goldfish  love  to  munch  on  plants.  You  can  have  only  anubias  varieties  &  java  fern.  These  are  the  only  2  plants  that  goldfish  will  not  eat.  Anything  else  will  be  converted  to  dinner.

For  the  other  2  tanks,  you  can  choose  from  various  Anubias  varieties,  java  fern  varieties,  mosses,  fissidens,  pelia,  subwassertang  etc.  You  could  also  try  floating  plants  that  will  give  cover  &  a  sense  of  security  for  your  fish.  duckweed,  water  lettuce  etc  are  some  choices.

i  have  pointed  out  only  a  few  that  I  could  immediately  think  of.  There  are  some  others  as  well  that  are  not  coming  to  mind.  maybe  someone  else  would  add  to  my  list.

Another  option  is  to  keep  plants  in  pots  (rooted).  This  will  give  you  a  wide  choice  of  plants.

One  other  thing;  Your  goldfish  tank  is  a  bit  overcrowded.  provide  your  golds  with  a  larger  tank  &  they  will  live  happily  ever  after.  Goldfish  can  live  up  to  20  years  in  captivity,  given  the  right  environment.  One  is  considered  a  successful  goldfish  keeper  if  he  manages  to  keep  his  golds  for  a  minimum  10  years  and  they  try  to  breed  atleast  every  2  years.  Just  a  reminder  that  we  are  responsible  for  their  well  being.

hope  this  helps.   Thumb Up
sjeeva
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:31 am Post subject: Re: Advice about adding MONEYPLANT in tank. Reply with quote

For  our  learning  purpose  can  someone  please  let  why  money  plant  or  so  called  lucky  bamboo  are  not  suitable  for  aquarium.  I  have  seen  videos  and  photos  where  thai  betta  breeders  use  lucky  bamboo  in  their  betta  tank...  

I  wanna  have  only  the  roots  on  the  water  and  all  the  leaves  outside...  If  I  could  do  that  I  can  have  a  beautiful  setup  with  nice  decorative  plants  on  top  of  it  and  also  my  betta  flaring  below  :)

Thanks,
 Jeeva
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:35 am Post subject: Re: Advice about adding MONEYPLANT in tank. Reply with quote

sjeeva  wrote  (View  Post):                
For  our  learning  purpose  can  someone  please  let  why  money  plant  or  so  called  lucky  bamboo  are  not  suitable  for  aquarium.  I  have  seen  videos  and  photos  where  thai  betta  breeders  use  lucky  bamboo  in  their  betta  tank...  

I  wanna  have  only  the  roots  on  the  water  and  all  the  leaves  outside...  If  I  could  do  that  I  can  have  a  beautiful  setup  with  nice  decorative  plants  on  top  of  it  and  also  my  betta  flaring  below  :)

Thanks,
 Jeeva                

Thats  the  point  we  are  trying  to  make..
 They  cannot  be  submerged  fully  in  the  tank,  but  you  can  grow  them  with  root  part  in  the  tank  and  the  leaves  above  the  water  level.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kapa
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:26 am Post subject: Re: Advice about adding MONEYPLANT in tank. Reply with quote

What  about  extra  setup;  if  any,  for  purpose  of  plants?  What  will  be  preventive  measures  to  be  taken  account  so  that  fishes  will  be  safe  and  sound?
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:47 am Post subject: Re: Advice about adding MONEYPLANT in tank. Reply with quote

kapa  wrote  (View  Post):                
What  about  extra  setup;  if  any,  for  purpose  of  plants?  What  will  be  preventive  measures  to  be  taken  account  so  that  fishes  will  be  safe  and  sound?                

Can't  make  sense  of  it..  come  again.  what  extra  setup?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Athreyan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:29 pm Post subject: Re: Advice about adding MONEYPLANT in tank. Reply with quote

Nidhi,  I  think  he  meansother  considerations  for  planted  tanks  in  terms  of  equipment.

@Kapa:  By  what  you've  been  specifying,  I'm  assuming  you  don't  want  too  much  hassle  due  to  the  plants.  So  keep  it  simple.  select  plants  that  don't  demand  too  much  attention.  But  you  definitely  have  to  do  some  minimum  adjustments.

I  think  the  first  consideration  would  be  lights.  you  will  need  lighting  of  about  1.5  WPG  (watts  per  gallon).

Use  a  30W  light  fixture  for  your  largest  tank.  make  sure  you  place  the  lights  so  that  the  planted  areas  are  well  lit.  to  spread  light  well,  you  will  need  to  use  good  reflectors.  You  can  also  use  multiple  bulbs/tubes  that  would  total  to  about  30W.

For  your  smaller  tanks,  use  around  12  -  15W  lighting.

Since  your  tanks  are  not  very  deep,  you  can  use  CFLs.  Look  for  lights  with  6500K  'cool  white'  light.

You  must  not  use  too  much  light  also.  that  will  cause  algae  issues.  Also,  keep  lighting  period  to  about  6  to  8  hours  per  day.  Increased  lighting  period  will  also  cause  algae.  keep  the  lighting  period  the  same.  for  example,  if  you  turn  on  lights  from  4pm  to  10pm.  Then  keep  the  same  timing.  if  you  want  to  change  the  light  timing,  do  it  gradually.  sudden  changes  will  stress  fishes,  affect  plant  growth  &  also  cause  algae.

Other  things  concerned  with  planted  tanks  like  CO2,  fertilization  etc.  will  not  be  necessary  for  you  since  your  main  aim  is  to  keep  your  fish  happy.
kapa
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:44 pm Post subject: Re: Advice about adding MONEYPLANT in tank. Reply with quote

Thanks  Athreyan.
 @  Nidhi.  I  want  to  ask  that,  after  adding  plants;  what  should  be  the  modifications  to  be  done  in  tank,  if  any?  Like  Athreyan  answered  that  the  lighting  hours  &  its  intensity.  Such  kind  of  changes  can  please  suggest  ?  How  put  plants  on  gravel  ?  Whether  UG  filter  is  to  be  taken  outside  ?
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: